Oct 24 - Alec Baldwin ignored the No. 1 rule of gun safety: Hollywood weapons expert

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

1 month ago '07        #1
7512 page views
168 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63
Props total: 97703 97 K  Slaps total: 12469 12 K
Oct 24 - Alec Baldwin ignored the No. 1 rule of gun safety: Hollywood weapons expert

Alec Baldwin, who accidentally k*lled his cinematographer on the set of his film “Rust,” should have never pointed a gun at another human, even if he believed it was safe, Hollywood safety experts told The Post.

And the actor is now likely to face a gantlet of legal challenges — including possible criminal charges — as both the man who pulled the trigger and as the executive producer responsible for set safety, legal experts said.

“Loaded or unloaded, a weapon never gets pointed at another human being,” Hollywood firearms consultant Bryan Carpenter of Dark Thirty Film Services told The Post.

Baldwin, 63, fired a prop gun that k*lled Halyna Hutchins, 42, and injured the film’s director, Joel Souza, on the “Rust” set in Santa Fe, NM, on Thursday.

For safety, all live firearms used in TV and film productions are typically aimed at a dummy point, not at equipment, cast or crew, Carpenter noted. Guns, he said, are never aimed at a person.

“You never let the muzzle of a weapon cover something you don’t intend to destroy,”
said Carpenter, whose New Orleans-based firm has worked on the sets of scores of TV and film productions. “All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.”

Former filmmaker and former US National Shooting Team member Peter Lake put the blame on Baldwin.

“The buck stops with Alec Baldwin on every level,” he told The Post. “It looks very bad for him. At least the captain of the Titanic had the good sense to go down with the ship.”

At the time, Hutchins was behind a camera operator’s monitor, looking over the operator’s shoulders, a source close to the crew told The Los Angeles Times, and Souza was behind them.

Crew had “yet to retreat” to the video village — an area set up for crew — to watch “from a distance,” the paper reported.

Assistant Director Dave Halls didn’t know the firearm had a live round in it, announcing it was a “cold gun” when he gave it to Baldwin, the court papers say.

Still, Baldwin may face serious legal trouble, possibly including negligent manslaughter, Joseph Costa, an attorney with Costa Law in Los Angeles, told The Post.

“As an executive producer you are in a position of control and you can get prosecuted criminally,” he said. “It’s the equivalent of drinking and driving, meaning someone may not have intended to cause great harm but they do.”

New Mexico criminal attorney Erlinda Johnson, a former state and federal prosecutor, said the actor faces possible criminal liability for involuntary manslaughter.

“All the state needs to demonstrate is that he was engaged in a lawful, but dangerous act and did not act with due caution,” she said.

“That’s what the state has to prove for involuntary manslaughter, which is a fourth-degree felony with a maximum penalty of up to 18 months in prison.”

She speculated that Baldwin may argue that someone handed him the gun, “but then, well, it was incumbent upon him, since he was handling the gun, to make sure there were no rounds.”

“Clearly someone didn’t do their due diligence,” she said. “They should have been checking those guns to make sure there were no live rounds.”

LA defense attorney Denise Bohdan predicted that “anyone running that set will be sued.”

“Yes, Alec Baldwin was the main producer, but it might be found out that another producer did more to cut corners. I don’t think there will be anything as bad as a murder charge, but this is going to be a legal nightmare for Baldwin,” she said.

The production was reportedly troubled over its firearms and general safety on the set.

The prop gun had misfired twice on Oct. 16 and once the week before, according to the LA Times, and union workers said the set was plagued by safety issues, prompting them to walk out in the hours ahead of Thursday’s tragic shooting.

Experts also claimed that live ammo should never have been on the set to begin with.

“I can’t think of any reason there would be a live round anywhere on set,” Lake said.

“They are generally prohibited from movie sets. There is no explanation I can think of why there would be a live round in a gun on set. You certainly wouldn’t have it in the hands of an actor.”
+22   

best
worst
168 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63 OP
Props total: 97703 97 K  Slaps total: 12469 12 K
i tried to tell ya'll

but you wanted to cape and slap instead

1 month ago '06        #3
T.J. Detweiler  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13578 13 K  Slaps total: 1255 1 K
I get all the gun safety, treat every gun like it’s loaded rhetoric.

What I don’t understand is the need for a loaded weapon on a movie set.
+193   

1 month ago '04        #4
realkilla3 
Props total: 27569 27 K  Slaps total: 2309 2 K
Never knew they were using ACTUAL guns on the sets of movies ...i understand wanting it to be as realistic as possible but damn
+67   

1 month ago '21        #5
ATMBEATZ 
Props total: 4208 4 K  Slaps total: 264 264
damn its 8k footage out there somewhere unless alec said delete all that sh*t
+34   

1 month ago '21        #6
Keithf87 
Props total: 13361 13 K  Slaps total: 737 737
 ATMBEATZ said
damn its 8k footage out there somewhere unless alec said delete all that sh*t
Right. As usual time will elapse then all of a sudden everyone's asking "where's the footage". Instead of asking initially, before it can be scrubbed or erased. Typical sh*t. Allow them to get their "stories" straight then in a week some DA will request footage. SMH.
+28   

1 month ago '16        #7
BathWaterMelody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 81936 81 K  Slaps total: 11026 11 K
all that spoofing of President Trump on SNL, and now he might see a jail cell before 45 do

can't tell me God ain't the funniest n*gga that ever existed.

+54   

1 month ago '17        #8
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 188922 188 K  Slaps total: 13894 13 K
 T.J. Detweiler said
I get all the gun safety, treat every gun like it’s loaded rhetoric.

What I don’t understand is the need for a loaded weapon on a movie set.
They use dummy rounds or blanks. Everyone involved is at fault. The person who is most at fault is the handler giving Baldwin the revolver and saying it's a cold gun.
+50   

1 month ago '18        #9
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 116103 116 K  Slaps total: 14382 14 K
Why is everyone looking at Alec like he’s to blame?? Sure he pulled the trigger, but aren’t there safeguards in place to protect against incidents like this??? Do they not test these guns before hand or once they’re done they just toss them into a drawer. I don’t get it. Where was the gun safety expert, before the gun was placed in Alec’s hand.

Edit - I’m completely wrong in this line of thinking. I honestly never factored in he is Executive Producer. That changes a lot for me. Sounds like he’s completely at fault.

I thought initially he was doing a scene, shot some and whatever shrapnel might hit the other person.

Really unfortunate

Last edited by SFamilyRep; 10-24-2021 at 12:20 PM..
+35   

1 month ago '18        #10
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 116103 116 K  Slaps total: 14382 14 K
 Naga Sadow said
They use dummy rounds or blanks. Everyone involved is at fault. The person who is most at fault is the handler giving Baldwin the revolver and saying it's a cold gun.
That’s what I’m saying. Alec’s an actor, he’s just doing what’s in the script. Idk why people a*sume he’s supposed to have some type of gun training. He probably never was around guns and if he was he only handled a gun on set. I just don’t get it

Last edited by SFamilyRep; 10-24-2021 at 11:01 AM..
+3   

1 month ago '11        #11
tfc1193 
Props total: 6079 6 K  Slaps total: 1438 1 K
 SFamilyRep said
That’s what I’m saying. Alec’s an actor, he’s just doing what’s in the script. Idk why people a*sume he’s supposed to have some type of gun training. He probably never was around guns and if he was he only handled a gun on set. I just don’t get it
Seasoned actors typically go through a lot of gun training, especially before a film involving guns because not only do you have to understand how to use them safely and correctly, but also you want to make it look believable when on camera. So it's highly unlikely that Baldwin has never handled guns or gone through forms of gun training during his career.

At the end of the day, there is going to be a lot of finger-pointing but as a producer, ultimately I would say Alec has to take the majority of the blame here. Especially knowing that there had been previous accidental misfires on the same set
+19   

1 month ago '15        #12
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 61648 61 K  Slaps total: 9171 9 K
 SFamilyRep said
Why is everyone looking at Alec like he’s to blame?? Sure he pulled the trigger, but aren’t there safeguards in place to protect against incidents like this??? Do they not test these guns before hand or once they’re done they just toss them into a drawer. I don’t get it. Where was the gun safety expert, before the gun was placed in Alec’s hand.

I had really thought the same when this first came out. This article though says him being the exec producer give him the ultimate responsibility. There’s that and them in this article it sounded like he had no reason to even point the gun at him. He was the cinematically guy. At first I figured he was pointing it at another actor as part of the scene. I guess that’s not at all the case.
+8   

1 month ago '07        #13
authentics 
Props total: 5370 5 K  Slaps total: 593 593

+12   

1 month ago '19        #14
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 5741 5 K  Slaps total: 374 374
 SFamilyRep said

Did you read the article?

The crew complained about safety and actually were about to go on a strike.

The gun had already misfired several times.

He is in charge of everything, it falls at his feet.

Thats like you telling your boss a scaffolding structure on a construction site isnt safe and they keep building and then the sh*t collapses and someone dies.
The site manager/foreman would be fu*ked.
+29   

1 month ago '21        #15
JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 17362 17 K  Slaps total: 3121 3 K
 SFamilyRep said
They weren't filming a scene, so that argument goes straight out the window. The person he k*lled wasn't even an actor
+17   

1 month ago '21        #16
Losantana16x4  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 3126 3 K  Slaps total: 414 414
 SFamilyRep said
Know his personality, he was definitely playing around. Imo. He should step up and admit that

1 month ago '05        #17
P-Hill 
Props total: 33235 33 K  Slaps total: 2166 2 K
First thing I learned in concealed carry class
+9   

1 month ago '07        #18
[MK] 
Props total: 2273 2 K  Slaps total: 249 249
I own alot of guns and shoot regularly. I've never shot blanks but if I was looking at a cylinder on revolver that was loaded I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between a primer end of a blank and the primer end of a real round without taking the bullets out.

This is super sad and feel badly for everyone involved
+9   

1 month ago '17        #19
Acebit 
Props total: 4505 4 K  Slaps total: 1064 1 K
Someone handed him a loaded gun, it was that persons fault
+9   

1 month ago '10        #20
DEAVIS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 13597 13 K  Slaps total: 2297 2 K
He might be able to buy his way out but it’s not looking good. This article is making lots of sense why he is and should be held accountable for this accident
+9   

1 month ago '21        #21
nodayzoffatl  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 26748 26 K  Slaps total: 3479 3 K
 yola said

down here in GA we learn this at like 3 months old lmaoooo.. literally first rule of gun safety

never pull it unless you ready to use it and never point at anything you not ready to shoot

I feel (keyword FEEL, BECAUSE I DONT KNOW THE FACTS) this had to be murder.

They were about to strike, she was leading the strike, and this n*gga even if he dont own one gun has been on enough sets in 40 years in the business to know the drill

and they weren't even actors

Last edited by nodayzoffatl; 10-24-2021 at 12:23 PM..
+12   

1 month ago '10        #22
SandmanNyC 
Props total: 5239 5 K  Slaps total: 1688 1 K
what i'm hearing it's deeper than that, the person he shot is the wife of the attorney who was going either against jeffrey epstein or with jeffrey epstein. there is a link
+9   

1 month ago '10        #23
DEAVIS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 13597 13 K  Slaps total: 2297 2 K
 tfc1193 said
Seasoned actors typically go through a lot of gun training, especially before a film involving guns because not only do you have to understand how to use them safely and correctly, but also you want to make it look believable when on camera. So it's highly unlikely that Baldwin has never handled guns or gone through forms of gun training during his career.

At the end of the day, there is going to be a lot of finger-pointing but as a producer, ultimately I would say Alec has to take the majority of the blame here. Especially knowing that there had been previous accidental misfires on the same set
Case in point…

Last edited by DEAVIS; 10-24-2021 at 01:33 PM..
+42   

1 month ago '07        #24
young mad 
Props total: 26079 26 K  Slaps total: 1405 1 K
Treat every gun like it’s loaded..never point at a person fake gun or not. Tf is Baldwin doing
+18   

1 month ago '21        #25
nodayzoffatl  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 26748 26 K  Slaps total: 3479 3 K
 Acebit said
Someone handed him a loaded gun, it was that persons fault
did they also make him aim it at crew members?

they weren't even actors so he can't say he mistakenly shot them during a scene...like why would i point a gun at the director????

if he was black they'd be calling this a cold blooded murder. He getting all the benefits of doubt afforded by white privilege
+11   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  34
Nov 28 - First cases of omicron COVID variant confirmed in Ontario Canada
150 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  34
Video inside Viral rappers 'Island boys' push cryptocurrency raising concern about r..
28 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+103online now  22
I've seen Scarface over 10,000+ times and I just now realized what Tony said!
83 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+27online now  20
Anthony Edwards says Jimmy Butler is a fake tough guy
30 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy