Oct 22 - 911 Allegedly Hung Up on a Man Who Wouldn’t Speak English. He Died.

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
19 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '11        #1
916 page views
23 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x40
Props total: 166428 166 K  Slaps total: 23186 23 K
Oct 22 - 911 Allegedly Hung Up on a Man Who Wouldn’t Speak English. He Died.

So did his 14-year-old nephew.

When a Spanish-speaking man in Allentown, Pennsylvania, called Lehigh County’s 911 center to report a fire at the home where he lived with his 14-year-old nephew, a dispatcher allegedly told him to speak English as he frantically begged for help, then hung up.

Both the man and the teenager died, according to a federal lawsuit filed by seven of the center’s former employees this week.

The ex-dispatchers’ complaint, which was filed in a federal court Wednesday, alleges that some of their white co-workers openly spoke about how much they disliked taking emergency calls from Spanish-speaking residents—sometimes forcing Latino callers to speak English or be denied a*sistance. During the call about the house fire and others, certain employees would also allegedly refuse to use translation services, according to the lawsuit, which was first reported by local media.

The former workers’ grievances go well beyond accusations of racism and allege an overall culture of chaos and incompetence at the 911 center in Lehigh County. When the ex-employees spoke out about behavior they felt risked locals’ safety, though, they say they faced retaliation.

Among their complaints: A supervisor watched soap operas and sold nail polish on the job, according to the lawsuit, while one employee slept during his shifts, resulting in “countless calls going unanswered.”

Sometimes dispatchers would also play cornhole during work hours, leading to “delays and missed emergency calls, including police calls, fire calls and calls involving life-threatening situations,” according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit additionally alleges that Allentown’s digital radio system was not fully functioning, creating safety hazards, while some 911 dispatchers failed to monitor the “fire ground” channels established during working fires.

At times, local police and fire staff allegedly joined in to bemoan “unnecessary delays in the dispatch of emergency calls,” according to the lawsuit.

After the group of dispatch workers involved in the lawsuit “complained to county supervisors that the 911 center was a hostile environment to callers who were minorities and were not fluent in the English language, especially Latinos/Hispanic callers,” among other concerns, they were punished, according to their complaint, which alleges violations of the former employees’ First and 14th Amendment rights.

The ex-dispatchers’ lawsuit names Lehigh County and several current and former county officials as defendants. The complaint demands compensatory damages of at least $150,000 for each of the seven ex-workers as well as back pay and the resumption of their employment, among other requests.

Lehigh County Solicitor Thomas Caffrey did not immediately return VICE News’ request for comment regarding the complaint.

The dispatchers grievances, which were repeatedly passed on to county supervisors, allegedly came to a head during a town hall meeting in December 2019, when one worker involved in the lawsuit publicly said he was concerned about the county’s safety, accusing the administration and supervisors of “negligently and recklessly overseeing the operation of the 911 center.”

That “embarrassed and infuriated” some county officials, the lawsuit alleges, eventually culminating in a disastrous New Year’s Eve toast that cost the lawsuit’s plaintiffs their jobs.

A longtime administrator and supervisor at the 911 center, who allegedly faced “racially hostile comments” herself, allegedly received permission from the county’s director of emergency services to make coquito mixed drinks for a single toast during a Dec. 31 shift.

Then, although supervisors had drunk and distributed alcohol on county property before, the several people who had complained about the 911 center’s operations were fired or forced to resign for participating in the toast, during which they drank an eggnog mix with “a minuscule amount of alcohol,” according to the lawsuit.

As a result, the current and former county officials named as defendants in the lawsuit “improperly and unlawfully acted to impart unwarranted and unwelcome discipline to plaintiffs in retaliation for plaintiffs’ exercising their well-established First Amendment rights of freedom of speech as citizens on matters of public concern,” their complaint alleges.

visit this link https://www.vice.com/en/a .. yPUm87JvTxtx14
+6   

best
worst
23 comments

1 month ago '17        #2
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 109610 109 K  Slaps total: 4566 4 K

Everybody that work there is going down. n*ggas playing corn hole and ignoring the phone ringing. That racist sh*t towards Spanish speaking calls is just the tip of the iceberg. How many more deaths can be attributed to them watching soap operas instead of doing their job?
+17   

1 month ago '10        #3
sho 2010  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 55748 55 K  Slaps total: 23411 23 K
White people
+16   

1 month ago '13        #4
hoodnurd 
Props total: 3766 3 K  Slaps total: 562 562
The system is fu*ked I called 911 from my wife’s phone after some freeway fu*kery I got put on hold since then I thought about buying a gun but I know she’ll shoot me once she finds out I’m cheating on her
+10   

1 month ago '04        #5
ddash 
Props total: 56519 56 K  Slaps total: 4215 4 K
 hoodnurd said
The system is fu*ked I called 911 from my wife’s phone after some freeway fu*kery I got put on hold since then I thought about buying a gun but I know she’ll shoot me once she finds out I’m cheating on her
Whale Damn
Well you could always just not cheat tho
+9   

1 month ago '05        #6
Soprano ATL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 27013 27 K  Slaps total: 2283 2 K
 hoodnurd said
+6   

1 month ago '17        #7
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 109610 109 K  Slaps total: 4566 4 K
 hoodnurd said
What a helluva twist
+8   

1 month ago '20        #8
Ball Man  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 8165 8 K  Slaps total: 647 647
I swear blacks, natives, minorities aren't even humans in the eyes of these kkk sympathizers...

Now introducing one of Boxdens very own kkk sympathizers... can't hide it anymore ay...

Last edited by Ball Man; 10-23-2021 at 02:00 PM..
+8   

1 month ago '06        #9
imthatinfamous  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31934 31 K  Slaps total: 9154 9 K
 hoodnurd said
+2   

1 month ago '17        #10
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 68410 68 K  Slaps total: 6678 6 K
Sometimes dispatchers would also play cornhole during work hours,
I've done the same on the clock

1 month ago '18        #11
dogfood2 
Props total: 12478 12 K  Slaps total: 8881 8 K
White people are the biggest savages historically speaking. Don't know why n*ggas be on that "they're glad we don't retaliate" bullsh*t.

n*gga retaliate. Eye for an eye.
+2   

1 month ago '10        #12
Big Louie Guwop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 48445 48 K  Slaps total: 6655 6 K
Despicable culture
+4   

1 month ago '11        #13
xArchangeLx 
Props total: 6186 6 K  Slaps total: 1511 1 K
Even if you don't speak Spanish it's easy to understand the general gist of it

Operators were just pieces of sh*t
Hope they suffer for this
+5   

1 month ago '04        #14
Chokeabiish 
Props total: 8093 8 K  Slaps total: 597 597
Sounds about wyte.
+5   

1 month ago '20        #15
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 26884 26 K  Slaps total: 1795 1 K
I thought there was a hispanic presence in that part of PA along with nearby towns but then again, I heard it can get racist over there too.

All that dispatcher did was just prove Public Enemy's point...
+4   

1 month ago '20        #16
LordGimmeASign 
 ddash said
Whale Damn
Well you could always just not cheat tho
If he doesn't cheat then he is gonna be with me and the guys and 'em ranting on @'s threads lol.

Nah just kidding, but yeah if shorty's solid, don't cheat and stay safe.

1 month ago '20        #17
LordGimmeASign 
 dogfood2 said
White people are the biggest savages historically speaking. Don't know why n*ggas be on that "they're glad we don't retaliate" bullsh*t.

n*gga retaliate. Eye for an eye.
The cards aren't stacked in our favor to retaliate effectively with violence.

The only ways to do that sans violence would be to have some laws changed and to not support their businesses financially and you see we had more of our own black-owned businesses and more laws were being fought for to be changed in our favor pre-integration; I wonder why this is where we're at amid integration...

Last edited by LordGimmeASign; 10-23-2021 at 08:26 AM..
+1   

1 month ago '15        #18
RIPrjacks23 
Props total: 21777 21 K  Slaps total: 2478 2 K
I hope they win everything they are asking for & the officials get fired. If the racist idiots were black people, the county prosecutors would find a way to charge them with something criminal guaranteed.
+2   

1 month ago '21        #19
Tinfoil Kufi 
Props total: 3908 3 K  Slaps total: 1272 1 K
 hoodnurd said
Why are you cheating ? I'm curious

1 month ago '20        #20
Agent Vakabon 
Props total: 8964 8 K  Slaps total: 434 434
 hoodnurd said
+1   

1 month ago '17        #21
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 188904 188 K  Slaps total: 13891 13 K
 LordGimmeASign said
I thought there was a hispanic presence in that part of PA along with nearby towns but then again, I heard it can get racist over there too.

All that dispatcher did was just prove Public Enemy's point...
All the peeps I know in Allentown are Hispanic along with that area. I'm shocked that they don't have someone who speaks Spanish on call 24/7.
+2   

1 month ago '14        #22
NYSTATEOFMIND 
Props total: 12002 12 K  Slaps total: 760 760
Before I clicked on the thread ....somehow I knew it was Pennsylvania
+1   

1 month ago '19        #23
TheKingofClowns 
Props total: 1640 1 K  Slaps total: 176 176
 Ball Man said
I swear blacks, natives, minorities aren't even humans in the eyes of these kkk sympathizers...

Now introducing one of Boxdens very own kkk sympathizers... can't hide it anymore ay...

Damn you didn't even say white people just kkk simpathizer, funny how some white folk get offended when you put a spotlight on their most valued group..
+4   

1 month ago '08        #24
Ron O'Neal 
Props total: 4820 4 K  Slaps total: 198 198
Allentown has a huge Spanish population. I'm actually shocked that the 911 call center out there doesn't require their workers to be bilingual.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  16
Article inside Kevin Hart's New Series "True Story" is FIRE. I THOUGHT KOUNTY WAYNE ..
63 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
-35online now  9
Nov 27 - Transgender Ped0phile is transferred to a female prison and r@pes his..
80 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+115online now  9
Image(s) inside rottweiler/german shepard mix gotta be the coolest dog
109 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  7
Video inside Coinbase scamming if you get too grown on them...
128 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy