Oct 21 - Ex-surgeon confesses he took wife's 'body out of the airplane over the ocean'

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
29 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '06        #1
2235 page views
33 comments

RAZAH CUTS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x83
Props total: 67194 67 K  Slaps total: 9431 9 K
Oct 21 - Ex-surgeon confesses he took wife's 'body out of the airplane over the ocean'

Robert Bierenbaum, a former plastic surgeon who was convicted of murdering his wife in 2000, confessed to k*lling her and throwing her body out of an airplane after more than three decades of maintaining his innocence.

Bierenbaum, an experienced pilot who had been convicted on circumstantial evidence, was serving his 20 years-to-life prison sentence when he made the chilling confession during a December 2020 parole board hearing.

It was the first time he had admitted to the crime since his wife, Gail Katz, disappeared in 1985. Her body has never been found.

“I wanted her to stop yelling at me and I attacked her,” according to a transcript of the hearing obtained by ABC News.

When asked how, Bierenbaum said he “strangled” her, and went on to say, “I went flying. I opened the door and then took her body out of the airplane over the ocean,” the transcript said. He also told the board he k*lled his wife because he was “immature” and “didn’t understand how to deal with his anger,” according to the transcript.

His admission shocked everyone involved in the case, because it was the exact theory prosecutors had presented in court at Bierenbaum’s 2000 murder trial.

“I was like, ‘Holy s---, are you kidding me?’” said Dan Bibb, one of the prosecutors who brought Bierenbaum to justice. “I was stunned because I always thought that that day would never come, that he would own up, take responsibility for having k*lled his wife.”

Bierenbaum remains in prison. His next parole hearing is scheduled for November.

When Gail Katz met Bierenbaum in the early ‘80s, he seemed like a perfect catch. At the time, she was in college and working odd jobs in Manhattan. He was a handsome surgical resident who spoke multiple languages, and had a passion for gourmet cooking, skiing and piloting small planes.

He was known for taking women on short flights for romantic dates. But his love of flying, and one flight in particular, was key for prosecutors to convince a jury that Bierenbaum was a murderer, someone who k*lled Katz in a homicidal rage and got away with it for 15 years.

“[Flying] is the crux of the story. I mean, it's the method that he tries to cover up his crime,” said Steve Saracco, a former Manhattan a*sistant district attorney who prosecuted the Bierenbaum case with Bibb.

At first, their romance seemed “magical,” said Katz’s sister Alayne Katz, an attorney in New York state, but there were red flags. She said she went on a strange double date at a sushi restaurant, where Bierenbaum shoved food into her sister’s mouth, then tried to do the same with her. Alayne Katz also said her sister called her one day, hysterically crying, because Bierenbaum tried to drown her cat in the toilet of their Upper East Side apartment.

“[She said], ‘No, no, no, Alayne… we're gonna get rid of the cat and then everything's gonna be fine because he's gonna believe that I love him,’” Alayne Katz said. “And I'm like, ‘No. Not really. You really have to get rid of Bob.’”

Even still, Gail Katz decided to go through with marrying him.

“My sister told me, ‘I'm smart. I'm loving. My love will cure. This is going to work out,’” Katz said.

Over time, Gail Katz’s friends and family members noticed the marriage was growing toxic. Bierenbaum was very controlling and at one point a neighbor said Katz told him she didn’t feel comfortable at home.

One night, Alayne Katz said Bierenbaum caught his wife smoking on their balcony and he choked her into unconsciousness. Gail Katz reported the incident to a police administrative aide at a local precinct but nothing came of it.

“If this had happened in 2021 … Robert Bierenbaum would have been in handcuffs immediately,” Bibb said. “The fact that this was [1983] ... nothing was done about it.”

She convinced Bierenbaum to see a therapist, who ended up writing her a letter suggesting she should get out of the marriage and he was concerned he might k*ll her. Still, her sister said, Katz brushed it off for a while, and told her sister she was planning on leaving him.

Then on July 7, 1985, Gail Katz disappeared.

Bierenbaum told her family and police they had a f*ght at their apartment and Katz stormed off. He claimed to have stayed home. Her sister wasn’t buying his story.

“She's not with me, and she's not with my parents, and at that moment I know that my sister's dead,” Alayne Katz said. “And if she's not alive there's only one person who is a likely suspect to murder her, and it's Bob. There's no other suspect.”

Days turned into weeks, then months, and there was still no sign of Gail Katz. Meanwhile, Bierenbaum was spending more time out in the Hamptons attending parties and dating other women.

Eventually, the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office picked up the case and it went to chief investigator Det. Andy Rosenzweig.

Knowing of Bierenbaum’s love of flying, Rosenzweig checked with the New Jersey airport Bierenbaum liked to rent planes from and discovered the doctor had taken a plane out on July 7, 1985, but Bierenbaum had doctored his flight log to make it look like he went flying the next day. Rosenzweig’s working theory was that the doctor had k*lled his wife and thrown her body into the Atlantic Ocean.

However, without a body, the DA’s office told Katz’s family at the time they didn’t have enough evidence to pursue charges against Bierenbaum. The DA’s office closed their end of the investigation without bringing charges and the police department's investigation fizzled out. Bierenbaum continued to live his life as a free man.

Then in May 1989, nearly four years after Katz’s disappearance, a torso washed up on Staten Island. This was a time before DNA forensics, and investigators tried to see if it belonged to Katz using old chest X-rays.

“An X-ray technician compared this X-ray with the torso and said, ‘This is Gail,’” Alayne Katz said. “Now … we have a body to bury. We have some closure.”

By 1990, Bierenbaum had relocated to Las Vegas and opened his own plastic surgery practice. He started dating Dr. Stephanie Youngblood, a chiropractor, and she said their first year together was “perfect.”

"We went to medical black tie events ... we went on a lot of ski trips,” she said. “To go ski in Argentina in August when it's 114 in Las Vegas was absolute heaven.”

Once again, he seemed like a perfect catch. Youngblood said Bierenbaum joined an organization that flew doctors and nurses in and out of Mexico to treat children who needed medical care.

But over time, cracks in Bierenbaum’s facade started to appear. Youngblood said he eventually admitted he had been married before, but said his wife had disappeared and he didn’t like to talk about it.

“The way he told the story, it was believable,” Youngblood said. “He goes, ‘Listen, this isn’t for public knowledge. I would really appreciate it if you kept this under wraps.’”

But there were two incidents where Youngblood said Bierenbaum exploded with rage at her in front of other people. After the second time, she said she convinced Bierenbaum they should see a therapist, who recommended Youngblood end the relationship because her “life could be in danger with him.” So she left him.

Bierenbaum started dating again and, in 1996, he married a Las Vegas gynecologist named Janet Challot. The couple moved to Minot, North Dakota, to start a new life together, and eventually had a baby girl.

No one in North Dakota knew about Bierenbaum’s past, and in fact he had become somewhat of a local hero for saving a boy’s life after he was bitten by a tiger at the North Dakota State Fair.

“He looked good, wore suits, loved his child, loved dogs, just all over all things that you think would be great characteristics,” said Barb Cooper, who worked as a nanny for Bierenbaum.

Meanwhile, back in New York, Rosenzweig was nearing retirement and was looking into cold cases that still haunted him. The Gail Katz’s disappearance case, which had been cold for 10 years by that point, was on his list.

In 1998, Rozenzweig got back in touch with her family. DNA forensics existed by then and he convinced the Katz family to exhume the torso they had buried years ago to have it tested.

“To our surprise, it came back that Gail Katz had been eliminated as a contributor of that sample,” said Bibb.

When she heard the news, Alayne Katz said she was devastated.

“That little, little shred of closure that I had has now been ripped away,” she said “I looked up at Dan [Bibb] and at Steve [Saracco], and I said, ‘Now, you better get a conviction.’”

read in full here:

visit this link https://www.yahoo.com/gma .. 095317556.html
+10   

best
worst
33 comments

1 month ago '06        #2
cleavon15  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 3642 3 K  Slaps total: 690 690
If he’s trying to pull an Ashley Judd, he should know that movie isn’t the whole truth.
+5   

1 month ago '11        #3
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28934 28 K  Slaps total: 1183 1 K
Snitch on yourself at your parole meeting tho
+12   

1 month ago '05        #4
ice wolf  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 25253 25 K  Slaps total: 9483 9 K
Bruh they should lock this mvtherfvcker up in the same cell as that ATL dummy that threw his girl from a moving Lambo and call it a day.
+5   

1 month ago '18        #5
GustavoB88 
Props total: 4555 4 K  Slaps total: 775 775
rich white guys can get away with murder
+10   

1 month ago '16        #6
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x52
Props total: 116158 116 K  Slaps total: 22783 22 K

+7   

1 month ago '04        #7
bibbyboi 
Props total: 17867 17 K  Slaps total: 2580 2 K
 Silencer said
Snitch on yourself at your parole meeting tho
I'm pretty sure you have to admit to the crime to be eligible for parole. Probably figured fu*k it might as well snitch and maybe get parole.
+10   

1 month ago '04        #8
bibbyboi 
Props total: 17867 17 K  Slaps total: 2580 2 K
 GustavoB88 said
He didn't though. He was convicted in 2000 for it.
+12   

1 month ago '17        #9
Drewsmit 
Props total: 23084 23 K  Slaps total: 3054 3 K

+1   

1 month ago '21        #10
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13983 13 K  Slaps total: 3493 3 K
A lot of men sitting in jail or prison because they never learned to handle their emotions.

This generation being "too soft" will bear fruit in the future.
+12   

1 month ago '11        #11
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 55840 55 K  Slaps total: 40741 40 K
 Tlatoani said
A lot of men sitting in jail or prison because they never learned to handle their emotions.

n*ggas love saying that until a bi*ch slap you in the face or pull a gun on you, I guess then you suppose to walk away. I laugh at people that say a n*gga should never put their hands on a woman yet she can beat the sh*t out of you.
+9   

1 month ago '20        #12
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 26359 26 K  Slaps total: 2038 2 K
 Tlatoani said

Idk man
This generation is pretty fragile and everybody supposedly suffers from anxiety or something worse
+1   

1 month ago '11        #13
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17413 17 K  Slaps total: 2342 2 K
What a PoS. MF was possessed by a demon in the form of rage he'd express. He was living it up after he k*lled her. Glad that other lady saw the signs and bounced. Rich people sh*t. The average person couldn't see a marriage therapist/counselor without cashing out some racks. Anyway, can someone clear this up for me? I'm not understanding this:

In 1998, Rozenzweig got back in touch with her family. DNA forensics existed by then and he convinced the Katz family to exhume the torso they had buried years ago to have it tested.

“To our surprise, it came back that Gail Katz had been eliminated as a contributor of that sample,” said Bibb.

When she heard the news, Alayne Katz said she was devastated.

“That little, little shred of closure that I had has now been ripped away,” she said “I looked up at Dan [Bibb] and at Steve [Saracco], and I said, ‘Now, you better get a conviction.’”
Were they trying to say that they crossed her off the list that the body that washed ashore wasn't the wife that got thrown out of the plane?

1 month ago '15        #14
Mickey Ganja 
Props total: 6864 6 K  Slaps total: 1451 1 K
Man said "shut up"
+1   

1 month ago '21        #15
 POWER RAPS said
Idk man
This generation is pretty fragile and everybody supposedly suffers from anxiety or something worse
At least they acknowledge it and talk about it. That is a major improvement because talk therapy is the most effective treatment for these issues.

People cannot learn to cope with their issues if they cannot identify them.
+1   

1 month ago '17        #16
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 86153 86 K  Slaps total: 30852 30 K
Jesus Christ

1 month ago '21        #17
 SomeOnesoN said
What a PoS. MF was possessed by a demon in the form of rage he'd express. He was living it up after he k*lled her. Glad that other lady saw the signs and bounced. Rich people sh*t. The average person couldn't see a marriage therapist/counselor without cashing out some racks. Anyway, can someone clear this up for me? I'm not understanding this:

Were they trying to say that they crossed her off the list that the body that washed ashore wasn't the wife that got thrown out of the plane?
Thats how I understood it.

I think the family felt that since they were denied closure, the prosecutors better at least deliver them a conviction.

1 month ago '13        #18
jrockex 
Props total: 7692 7 K  Slaps total: 690 690
 SomeOnesoN said

yea it wasnt her apparently

1 month ago '07        #19
ototo7 
Props total: 7958 7 K  Slaps total: 798 798
Epstein had to be throwing girls off that plane too or at least threatening them with it
+1   

1 month ago '11        #20
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17413 17 K  Slaps total: 2342 2 K
 Tlatoani said
Thats how I understood it.

I think the family felt that since they were denied closure, the prosecutors better at least deliver them a conviction.
OP didn't post the full story. It looks like the family did get disclosure and some semblance of justice. At least from the rest of the story that I read. It took 15-20 years after the murder though. He was convicted in 2000.
+1   

1 month ago '17        #21
Drewsmit 
Props total: 23084 23 K  Slaps total: 3054 3 K
 GustavoB88 said

1 month ago '21        #22
outstanding  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x50
Props total: 28507 28 K  Slaps total: 25179 25 K
Damn

1 month ago '15        #23
OMarksDaSpot 
Props total: 4005 4 K  Slaps total: 267 267
 awww said
n*ggas love saying that until a bi*ch slap you in the face or pull a gun on you, I guess then you suppose to walk away. I laugh at people that say a n*gga should never put their hands on a woman yet she can beat the sh*t out of you.

Real sh*t! I was just like the dude you was replying too….fu*king naive of how women are can be sooo evil and wicked to the point that you would commit the most regrettable. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t ever condone violence against women but I always give a lil grace in situations like this

1 month ago '17        #24
Wavie Crockett 
Props total: 7756 7 K  Slaps total: 12404 12 K
 GustavoB88 said
You're a idiot and it goes to show how much of a idiot you are because you brought race into this

1 month ago '17        #25
DavidTheMan 
Props total: 24618 24 K  Slaps total: 13443 13 K
Woman tries to take kt too far when he was already beating her a*s. Lol

He chioked her a*s out for smoking, why did she think she could yell at him during flight. Lol.

Smh these women choose these guys amd stay with them and think they are going to change them. If he beats your a*s once he will do it again.
+5   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+34online now  15
Video inside You missed Mana(Decentraland) and Sand(The sandbox), now what?
58 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+23online now  9
The Island Boys Get Boo'd While Performing At Club Liv In Miami
125 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+117online now  5
Despite everything, they made the time to show homie love…
107 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+103online now  5
Image(s) inside Picture of black hole released . Space is spooky
278 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy