Oct 20 - Army vet accused of faking paralysis to get $1 million in VA benefits

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '04        #1
4058 page views
107 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 20935 20 K  Slaps total: 2195 2 K
Oct 20 - Army vet accused of faking paralysis to get $1 million in VA benefits

An Army veteran from Maryland faces up to 30 years in federal prison after prosecutors say he falsely claimed to the Department of Veterans Affairs that he is a paraplegic.

The Justice Department said that William Rich, 41, of Windsor Mill, Maryland, was granted 100 percent disability from the VA in 2007 based on falsely claiming paralysis in his “lower extremities,” resulting in more than $1 million in benefits and compensation being paid out.

Rich also received grants from the VA for “automobile and adaptive equipment” and “specially adapted housing.” Rich is accused of using the funds intended to purchase a specially adapted vehicle to buy a BMW 645ci luxury sports coupe.

Rich served in the Army from Sept. 22, 1998, to Feb. 27, 2007, and was injured on Aug. 23, 2005, while serving in Baqubah, Iraq, according to a Justice Department release.

However, according the release, approximately six weeks after Rich’s injuries, he had begun to recover and was no longer paralyzed. Specifically, a report from Rich’s Oct. 7, 2005, annual physical examination stated that an MRI on Aug. 24, 2005, revealed “no [spinal] cord impingement” or “[spinal] cord abnormalities.” Further, it noted that Rich’s “…paralysis has resolved somewhat, and at present, he is able to move his lower extremities.”

A subsequent report from Dec. 5, 2006, indicated Rich was able to perform certain essential daily activities with “complete independence” or “modified independence” such as using the bathroom and “locomotion.”

However, during a VA pension and compensation exam conducted on Oct. 11, 2007, the examining physician stated, “Since his accident, he has been paralyzed in both lower extremities; has been confined to a wheelchair….”

The examining physician also said that he did not have access to Rich’s complete medical records at the time of his VA examination. Additionally, the physician stated he did not review Rich’s medical history, nor did he order an X-ray because he “did not feel that it was worth the trauma to him of manipulating him around.”

In 2018 the VA inspector general learned of conduct by Rich that was inconsistent with his purported paralysis and launched an audit, according to the release. Over the next two years, special agents followed and surveilled Rich and observed him walking, going up and down stairs, entering and exiting vehicles, lifting, bending, and carrying items — all without a wheelchair or “visible limitation.”

Additionally, VA special agents only observed Rich use a wheelchair in only connection with his VA appointments.

According to the release, a further review of Rich’s public social media accounts showed multiple images of Rich standing, with nothing to indicate he was wheelchair-bound. Agents also found videos of Rich lifting weights, along with an image Rich took of himself standing in front of a gym mirror.

Rich was charged with one count of wire fraud and one count of theft of government property. On Oct. 13, he had an initial appearance in United States District Court in Baltimore and was ordered to be released pending trial.

Rich has been a*signed a federal public defender to represent him in this case. That office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

If convicted, Rich faces a maximum of 20 years in federal prison for wire fraud and a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison for theft of government property.

visit this link https://www.militarytimes .. me-to-buy-bmw/
+19   

best
worst
107 comments

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '08        #2
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 48936 48 K  Slaps total: 2815 2 K
He look paralyzed
+17   

1 month ago '15        #3
Tobinmont  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 61837 61 K  Slaps total: 3456 3 K
You know how many people get over on the VA? fu*k, he was paralyzed at first and got better, right?? The fact that it happened at all, sh*t, let son live. I don’t care if they reported no spinal cord injury a day later. Military docs? Yea fu*k all that. And yea I’m a Vet.
+65   

1 month ago '15        #4
TAG81  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 90501 90 K  Slaps total: 4801 4 K
 Tobinmont said
You know how many people get over on the VA? fu*k, he was paralyzed at first and got better, right?? The fact that it happened at all, sh*t, let son live. I don’t care if they reported no spinal cord injury a day later. Military docs? Yea fu*k all that. And yea I’m a Vet.
This…. He could easily get 100 for ptsd.
+31   

1 month ago '15        #5
 TAG81 said
Facts. Depression too.
+28   

1 month ago '10        #6
lltreyll 
Props total: 6110 6 K  Slaps total: 1877 1 K
Reminds me of the goat at finding and calling out fake a*s navy seals for stolen valor...I actually just reactivated my premium membership on Don's site with so many hilarious and entertaining full length videos that arent on YouTube over at

sh*t like this is pure gold:

Seeing how captain "check it out" reacts while getting completely exposed as a lying a*s wannabe is priceless.

I can watch sh*t like that for hours.
+4   

1 month ago '15        #7
 lltreyll said
Reminds me of the goat at finding and calling out fake a*s navy seals for stolen valor...I actually just reactivated my premium membership on Don's site with so many hilarious and entertaining full length videos that arent on YouTube over at

Seeing how captain "check it out" reacts while getting completely exposed as a lying a*s wannabe is priceless.

Son this has nothing to do with this topic.
+54   

1 month ago '15        #8
thirssty58  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 46537 46 K  Slaps total: 6094 6 K
Vets scamming disability, pension, plus working lol quite the come up how is this country not broke

1 month ago '07        #9
KeepinItTrill 
Props total: 71030 71 K  Slaps total: 4552 4 K
with the way they treat Veterans, I'm not even mad at dude
+41   

1 month ago '04        #10
killadre  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 49909 49 K  Slaps total: 3529 3 K
Those va exam appointments be funny as hell. Cats be coming in with wheel chairs, neck braces, arms in sling, limping, etc. The doctor who gave me my exam years back had me dying laughing with some of ish he’s seen knowing damn well some people are lying. Fortunately he was all for people getting their bread and would often lead them to correct answers to some of his questions.
+31   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '16        #11
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x53
Props total: 116918 116 K  Slaps total: 22955 22 K
this not news
+4   

1 month ago '05        #12
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 106338 106 K  Slaps total: 13347 13 K
That dude a scumbag

You got vets out here suffering on some real sh*t and he stealing benefits.

That's why I never tried to play the system and I'm a retired vet.

I was very fortunate to be healthy when I retired in 2015
+17   

1 month ago '20        #13
Habeas Corpus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 27699 27 K  Slaps total: 5527 5 K
 killadre said
Those va exam appointments be funny as hell. Cats be coming in with wheel chairs, neck braces, arms in sling, limping, etc. The doctor who gave me my exam years back had me dying laughing with some of ish he’s seen knowing damn well some people are lying. Fortunately he was all for people getting their bread and would often lead them to correct answers to some of his questions.
I know about this all too well

+6   

1 month ago '20        #14
 Tobinmont said
 TAG81 said
 Tobinmont said
Facts. Depression too.
Faccctssssss

+8   

1 month ago '21        #15
pikadadon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 7676 7 K  Slaps total: 2733 2 K
 lltreyll said

He has exposed alot of people and you just so happen to pick two black men. We see you white boy.

Tobinmont said
Son this has nothing to do with this topic.
White boy had those videos ready. He couldn't wait to post them sh*ts.
+20   

1 month ago '04        #16
killadre  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 49909 49 K  Slaps total: 3529 3 K
 Habeas Corpus said
I know about this all too well

Nothing like that life time first of the month payment
+9   

1 month ago '17        #17
GremFandango 
Props total: 4864 4 K  Slaps total: 586 586
If you go overseas and f*ght for this country. I'm on your side, cause I know damn well I ain't doing it. They can put me in the same cell Ali was in. Give bro his funds and cut the security for some of these senators scared to get screamed at by old men and women!

Respect to anybody on here that went over there, IDC if you was just a shoe shiner lol.
+28   

1 month ago '18        #18
0msoc 
Props total: 479 479  Slaps total: 273 273
 thirssty58 said
Vets scamming disability, pension, plus working lol quite the come up how is this country not broke
Because this is modus operandi for all federal operations, especially military funding. Part of the Navy budget includes an allotment for fuel, which if unused warrants a reduction. So, at the end of the fiscal, there are scores of planes that take flight, just to keep their funding at normal levels.

The worst part about this, in my humble opinion, is that a respectable number of our very informed and virtuous citizens advocate for more federal oversight and expansion of already-present federal programs. For example, a current argument to federal (universal) healthcare programs, federally funded pre-school and college-level education, federally mandated time off, and, of course, federal authority to f*ght climate change... which this gubment and it's corporate boot-licking has been instrumental in creating. Fortunately, this country is unable to go broke because they can just keep printing money.
+5   

1 month ago '20        #19
 killadre said
Nothing like that life time first of the month payment
Oh, I know all about it

When that *VACP TREAS* pops up

+13   

1 month ago '08        #20
el bundy 
Props total: 4195 4 K  Slaps total: 212 212
This is actually more common that you'd think. This dude I work with gets 100% VA disability and has a Handicap parking pass while being a practicing BBJ black belt and surfs and sh*t
+22   

1 month ago '20        #21
 GremFandango said
If you go overseas and f*ght for this country. I'm on your side, cause I know damn well I ain't doing it. They can put me in the same cell Ali was in. Give bro his funds and cut the security for some of these senators scared to get screamed at by old men and women!

Respect to anybody on here that went over there, IDC if you was just a shoe shiner lol.
Thanks bro, I appreciate you

+9   

1 month ago '17        #22
BX BlackBelt  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 40742 40 K  Slaps total: 17652 17 K
 pikadadon said
He has exposed alot of people and you just so happen to pick two black men. We see you white boy.

White boy had those videos ready. He couldn't wait to post them sh*ts.
@ ban

1 month ago '17        #23
BX BlackBelt  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 40742 40 K  Slaps total: 17652 17 K
 lltreyll said

This is hilarious certain type of people will steal anything tho

1 month ago '13        #24
TheWAVEment 
Props total: 8127 8 K  Slaps total: 1646 1 K
Dude prob got referred to that doc by another vet

Had a good run atleast. Im willing to bet there are alot more cases just like this in the country. Dude probably got too greedy and wanted to try to get more bread or do something that triggered a review of his benefits
+7   

1 month ago '04        #25
deziking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 31587 31 K  Slaps total: 3175 3 K
another dumbass
just like this one hahaha

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+69online now  32
Checking in on the Brady made Belichick narrative
86 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+103online now  23
I've seen Scarface over 10,000+ times and I just now realized what Tony said!
85 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+27online now  23
Anthony Edwards says Jimmy Butler is a fake tough guy
30 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  23
Video inside Viral rappers 'Island boys' push cryptocurrency raising concern about r..
30 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy