Rival Execs Monitoring Zion-Pelicans Relationship (Zion was 300lbs this offseason)

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+62  186
58 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

1 month ago '07        #1
2654 page views
84 comments

Bkjj11  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x98
Props total: 175424 175 K  Slaps total: 29579 29 K
Rival Execs Monitoring Zion-Pelicans Relationship (Zion was 300lbs this offseason)

As news of Zion Williamson's latest injury setback trickled out of New Orleans last week, league personnel once again began to speculate on the looming 2022 extension talks between the New Orleans Pelicans and their 2019 No. 1 draft choice.

This is not to say Williamson already has one foot out the door. No top pick in league history has chosen the qualifying offer with a one-year path to unrestricted free agency, versus a maximum contract extension projected to eclipse $200 million over five years. Yet this is how the modern NBA world turns. Front offices are as forthright as ever about scheming to land an alpha like Williamson from a downtrodden rival, and player movement has become equally as fluid.

It's hard not to see the early parallels between Williamson's status in New Orleans and that of Ben Simmons in Philadelphia, where there were once nearly identical rumors about the 2016 top pick potentially taking his own qualifying offer to reach the open market. Simmons eventually accepted Philadelphia's contract and $177 million that same summer New Orleans selected Williamson, but that has meant nothing throughout this ongoing trade-demand saga.

Until Williamson puts pen to paper in July, rival front offices will hope and prepare for the possibility of a Zion free-agency frenzy come 2024. And even if Williamson does re-sign, teams will keep a radar trained onto New Orleans in hopes he seeks a trade like Simmons, just as Chris Paul and Anthony Davis did in NOLA before him.

This is the ever-important backdrop behind last Thursday's news that Williamson won't appear in New Orleans' season opener Wednesday against Philadelphia, as part of a two-week-plus setback in his return from offseason foot surgery. There's a strong belief in league circles that the Pelicans were unaware of that procedure until Williamson reported to New Orleans ahead of media day, although one team source contacted by B/R maintained the Pelicans and Williamson were aligned on the injury's timeline.

Before Pelicans executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin addressed reporters last Thursday, word was already circling around the league that Williamson was unlikely to make his 2021-22 debut before November, at the earliest. It was even known in rival front offices that Griffin planned to speak on the matter rather than issue a press release. This all comes after league figures raised a collective eyebrow when Griffin blamed Williamson's season-ending finger injury on poor officiating.

There's an expectation that Williamson will resume play under a minutes restriction when he does take the floor, sources said, typical for stars returning from injury. But with Williamson, who bristled at the training wheels Pelicans officials placed on his reintegration from a torn meniscus injury as a rookie, it could be a higher-stakes game of poker.

It all seems fair to wonder what kind of urgency New Orleans and Williamson will feel around his return. The Pelicans harbor plans for a playoff push, something Williamson himself strongly noted in early October, while the Williamson camp has at times held a tenuous relationship with Griffin, from the aforementioned 2019 reintegration plan to the fraught hiring of Stan Van Gundy.

This now marks the second time in three seasons Williamson will miss the Pelicans' opening stretch because of injury. He's been hampered with knee and foot maladies dating back to his time as a Blue Devil.

And for all of his apparent gripes about New Orleans' abundance of caution with his health, the combination of Williamson's injury history and his fluctuating weight throughout his early career would concern any front office, especially a small-market nucleus so invested in his long-term availability to the franchise. The risk of reinjury is always too real and far too treacherous.

"I do think there is another gear that I can reach regarding my weight and conditioning," Williamson told The Old Man & the Three podcast in March. "But I think it's like you said, it's finding it. Because I don't want to get to a spot where I'm like, ‘Yeah I lost a lot of weight, but I don't feel strong. I can't do certain things I would do before.' I think it's just finding it. I do think there is another gear I can reach regarding both weight and conditioning."

He's since reached north of 300 pounds this offseason, sources said, again fueling concerns among New Orleans staffers similar to the months leading up to his rookie debut. When he joined the Pelicans' recent preseason trip to Minnesota, several league personnel on hand were struck by his heavier appearance than his listed playing weight last season of 284 pounds. "I know Zion at 280, and he was not 280," said one observer.

"These are the injuries you have to be the most concerned about, a foot injury for a guy with noted weight issues," said one Western Conference executive.

While Williamson did board that flight to Minneapolis, he did not attend preseason road trips to Chicago or Utah, sources said. This after a summer in which Williamson backed out of plans to accompany general manager Trajan Langdon and fellow All-Star Brandon Ingram in Phoenix to attend a Suns playoff game.

Although, according to one team source, Williamson skipped those Chicago and Utah trips to stay back in New Orleans with the team's medical staff and instead focus on his rehab with a strength coach.

All this has occurred before a regular-season game has even tipped. When it comes to harmony within NBA teams, context is everything. Winning has proved time and again to be the magical elixir that can squash or excuse any sign of strife within a franchise. And again, no player has ever turned down such a lucrative rookie extension that Williamson will surely qualify for and New Orleans will surely offer. On media day, Williamson did say it was "all love" between him and Griffin.

If Williamson can return at full force and lead New Orleans into the playoffs, the Pelicans could build momentum toward the future, just as the No. 2 pick from his class, Ja Morant, has done in Memphis. The electric point guard seems all but destined to re-sign with the Grizzlies next summer. League observers far and wide are still wondering whether Williamson will do the same.

visit this link https://bleacherreport.co .. s-relationship
+2   

best
worst
84 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
POSITIVITY  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x61
Props total: 102541 102 K  Slaps total: 62336 62 K
Zion won’t reach his potential
+11   

1 month ago '12        #3
BIGMARS 
Props total: 13425 13 K  Slaps total: 1929 1 K
2021 Anthony Mason. He's way more athletic now, but his prime won't last long being that heavy. He'll be a serviceable small-big, borderline all star type when it goes.
+2   

1 month ago '16        #4
Supreme God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 63518 63 K  Slaps total: 4725 4 K
Zion better take that money, cause he won't hold up for a long career.
+31   

1 month ago '17        #5
92baby 
Props total: 88190 88 K  Slaps total: 11529 11 K
n*gga really in the wrong city when it
Comes to diet
+46   

1 month ago '21        #6
Linas Kleiza 
Props total: 10755 10 K  Slaps total: 5752 5 K
He's a poor mans Zach Randolph. I still don't understand the hype.

1 month ago '17        #7
Shotty  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 12238 12 K  Slaps total: 5472 5 K
Ben for zion

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '21        #8
Young Defiant  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 10278 10 K  Slaps total: 20978 20 K
Not much to investigate here... Zion is just not invested and may be a buss...

1 month ago '04        #9
Kadroan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 40333 40 K  Slaps total: 5382 5 K
They stay having negative pieces on Ziom
+16   

1 month ago '18        #10
HoopLife88 
Props total: 43133 43 K  Slaps total: 5416 5 K
6'7 300 pounds he need to be on the football field
+24   

1 month ago '17        #11
S PHX GOD 
Props total: 55063 55 K  Slaps total: 7792 7 K
 BIGMARS said
2021 Anthony Mason. He's way more athletic now, but his prime won't last long being that heavy. He'll be a serviceable small-big, borderline all star type when it goes.
Mason had an expanded role once traded from the Knicks. your example is p*ss poor. he declined on the Bucks becuase of age, not his weight. the same bodytype he had as a Knick was the same on the Hornet's and Bucks. I'm not gonna debate. all you did was pick a name with a similar body type and ran with it. no context at all. and Mason was more Cut than zion. you don't know sh*t, stop posting.

Last edited by S PHX GOD; 10-20-2021 at 10:52 AM..
+15   

1 month ago '13        #12
King2aGod 
Props total: 24420 24 K  Slaps total: 4239 4 K
 92baby said
Comes to diet
Has nothing to do with the city. He only eats what his mom's cook even tho the team tried to hire a chef and nutritionist for him
+4   

1 month ago '07        #13
N.O.4Life  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 44760 44 K  Slaps total: 3928 3 K
I didn’t even look hard and found all types of holes in this story lol.

Pelicans knew about the foot injury way before media day. By the time media day came the surgery was damn near 6 weeks old.

Both Pels and Zion came to the conclusion to have the surgery. That wasn’t just Zion making that decision. That came out of both Zion and Griff mouth.

Also Zion didn’t practice with the team over the Summer because the foot thing happened before they were supposed to meet lol.

I can go on and on. Must be a slow day at BR I guess
+3   

1 month ago '13        #14
King2aGod 
 Kadroan said
They stay having negative pieces on Ziom
Dude been injured AND fat every year of his career so far. Can't be always out of shape and then get mad when people write about it
+1   

1 month ago '15        #15
Cooley High  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 44001 44 K  Slaps total: 6895 6 K
Not going to lie if I were the pels, I’d trade him while his value is high.
+12   

1 month ago '14        #16
Kyu  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 216962 216 K  Slaps total: 26119 26 K
 Supreme God said
Zion better take that money, cause he won't hold up for a long career.
 92baby said
Comes to diet
 HoopLife88 said
6'7 300 pounds he need to be on the football field
Y’all see that new Mountain Dew commercial with him and Zach Lavine?

n*gga look like retired Shaq on the couch
+21   

1 month ago '08        #17
EMER1TUS 
Props total: 39939 39 K  Slaps total: 6219 6 K
Moot point

Zion will sign that $200M extension then force his way out towards the end of the contract

He’s not turning down $200Ms bros
+1   

1 month ago '05        #18
ElQueHablaSucio 
Props total: 16792 16 K  Slaps total: 4382 4 K
The next lockout will end the NBA. n*ggas are acting like divas.

1 month ago '13        #19
King2aGod 
 EMER1TUS said
Moot point

Zion will sign that $200M extension then force his way out towards the end of the contract

He’s not turning down $200Ms bros
You gon offer that to him if you're the Pelicans?

Just look at him
dude got a double chin behind that beard.
+13   

1 month ago '05        #20
Tha Boss  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 115101 115 K  Slaps total: 39653 39 K
He looked fat in that 75 anniversary commercial with the other players

1 month ago '13        #21
FlareMafia 
Props total: 11352 11 K  Slaps total: 845 845
n*gga should be playing Defensive End in the NFL
+2   

1 month ago '04        #22
jsmooth-117 
Props total: 41067 41 K  Slaps total: 4193 4 K
I dont get why dude cant lose weight. Surely they have a nutriotionist/dietician/chef on their team, he can hire his own people as well.

WTF is the problem? We joke about how good the food in NOLA is (which is true AF) but that shouldn't get in the way of him fufilling his contractual olbigations. a*suming this is the issue, and not something medically related which isn't impossible.

Serious question; if Zion can't lose weight and misses significant games for weight-related injuries, can the Pelicans recoup some of their money? I would guess his contract states that he needs to take care of his body, yes?

Furthermore, why would any team want a player that can't consistently stay on the court?
+6   

1 month ago '20        #23
God is Good 
Props total: 14782 14 K  Slaps total: 13628 13 K
Nobody wants to live in New Orleans longer than they have to.

That’s literally a bottom three NBA destination. Only ahead of Memphis and Detroit

1 month ago '05        #24
JimDinO77  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 33629 33 K  Slaps total: 4282 4 K
Zion looked fat as hell on that Mountain Dew commercial
+3   

1 month ago '05        #25
R0R0 
Props total: 2089 2 K  Slaps total: 492 492
Robert tractor trailer on deck
+8   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  24
Article inside George R.R. Martin Was Worried About Where ‘GoT’ Was Headed As Early ..
61 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+91online now  19
Video inside It's HAPPENING
297 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
11/29.......nxt wh0re games preview