Game Pass subscriptions miss Microsoft’s target

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '17        #1
1059 page views
47 comments

SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 87627 87 K  Slaps total: 31750 31 K
Game Pass subscriptions miss Microsoft’s target

Subscriber growth for Microsoft’s signature gaming service, Xbox Game Pass, was slower than the company hoped for in the past year, according to a new financial filing.

Why it matters: Xbox Game Pass is often touted as the best deal in gaming and its subscriber count is a shorthand measure of Microsoft’s gaming success.

By the numbers: For the 12 months that ended on June 30, Xbox Game Pass subscriber growth was up 37%, but the company had set a 48% growth goal.

In the company's prior fiscal year, which ran from mid-2019 through mid-2020, Game Pass subs were up 86%, exceeding a target of 71%.
For those who just want to see actual subscriber counts, that’s the catch. Microsoft hasn’t been sharing them lately.

The most recent confirmed figure is 18 million, as of January.
The service costs $10/month for console or PC players, or $15/month for a combo.
Between the lines: While it’s notable that Microsoft missed one target, it's also of interest that Game Pass subs are a target at all.

In 2019, the company added Game Pass subscriber growth to a short list of performance goals for top executives, including CEO Satya Nadella.
It’s the only pure gaming metric listed in the execs’ payment plan, and sits alongside other priority targets including a number of LinkedIn sessions and usage of Microsoft Teams.
Reaching certain targets over the course of three years pays out more stock to those executives.
The big picture: Game Pass is core to Microsoft’s model of gaming’s future, one in which players subscribe to the all-you-can-play service and play its games on Xbox consoles, PCs, phones and, eventually, smart TVs, via streaming if necessary.

Xbox management has spent the last couple of years flooding Game Pass with a remarkable array of high-quality games, including its own marquee releases and lots of excellent indies.
Just today it announced 11 more notable releases for the service for this month alone.
But if Microsoft is struggling to get Game Pass where it wants, it will have a strong sales hook 13 months from now with the release of Bethesda's highly anticipated exclusive “Starfield.”

visit this link https://www.axios.com/xbo .. 2c0ad9346.html

best
worst
47 comments

1 month ago '20        #2
God is Good 
Props total: 14927 14 K  Slaps total: 13820 13 K
Damn…..

Guess they better keep throwing $$$$ at it. I just hope I can sign up for those $1 subscriptions they have before they’re gone and contribute to the bottom line

1 month ago '04        #3
Liquid-Science  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3947 3 K  Slaps total: 678 678

+5   

1 month ago '10        #4
DeathStar 
Props total: 21859 21 K  Slaps total: 902 902
got my 3 years for $151

+10   

1 month ago '04        #5
Da Ill One  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 16354 16 K  Slaps total: 1159 1 K
Took Netflix a while to gain traction also.
+8   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '17        #6
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
 Da Ill One said
37% is still good, I don’t think this is a bad sign. I wonder why they anticipated 48% tho
+3   

1 month ago '04        #7
 SPdaGOAT said
37% is still good, I don’t think this is a bad sign. I wonder why they anticipated 48% tho
My guess is because they got more then they anticipated the year before
+2   

1 month ago '20        #8
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x164
Props total: 86746 86 K  Slaps total: 17768 17 K
An influx of new gamers coming this holiday season
+3   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '17        #9
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
 5ive04our said
An influx of new gamers coming this holiday season
I think more will come for Starfield

1 month ago '16        #10
Novii  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11721 11 K  Slaps total: 2030 2 K
 deathStar said
got my 3 years for $151

The question is, when that 3 years are up, are you staying subscribed at the regular price??

1 month ago '12        #11
Pleasure Boy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 32585 32 K  Slaps total: 8066 8 K
 Da Ill One said
Stop comparing gaming subs to Netflix its not the same... Not Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo will EVER reach Netflix or Disney's numbers when it comes to subscriptions... Most people are not that interested in gaming... People who play games on cellphones dont necessarily game on consoles... Like my girlfriend will play games on her phone but she has no interest in the games I play on my PS5... But she'll log into her Netflix account anytime on her phone to watch a series... These gaming companies miscalculated when it comes to streaming games...

There will never be the same interest as a subscription services like Netflix, Hulu or Disney

1 month ago '20        #12
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25986 25 K  Slaps total: 6613 6 K
 Da Ill One said

didn't netflix just recently become profitable and they have about 200 mil subscribers?
+1   

1 month ago '04        #13
 D1dnt read said
didn't netflix just recently become profitable and they have about 200 mil subscribers?
Yeah like within last two years. My point still remains

1 month ago '20        #14
 Pleasure Boy said
Stop comparing gaming subs to Netflix its not the same... Not Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo will EVER reach Netflix or Disney's numbers when it comes to subscriptions... Most people are not that interested in gaming... People who play games on cellphones dont necessarily game on consoles... Like my girlfriend will play games on her phone but she has no interest in the games I play on my PS5... But she'll log into her Netflix account anytime on her phone to watch a series... These gaming companies miscalculated when it comes to streaming games...

There will never be the same interest as a subscription services like Netflix, Hulu or Disney
So a streaming game service shouldn’t count subs as success? The whole point of gaming from any where is to game from anywhere fuxk you thought since a sub is not on the box it doesn’t count. Why not support the casual gamer?
+3   

1 month ago '10        #15
DeathStar 
Props total: 21859 21 K  Slaps total: 902 902
 Novii said
The question is, when that 3 years are up, are you staying subscribed at the regular price??
They are going to have to show me something for that.

1 month ago '16        #16
Quinn 
Props total: 9347 9 K  Slaps total: 1988 1 K
 D1dnt read said
"profitable" is subjective, along with recently

since consoles are sold at a loss, you could argue PS5s arent profitable, but we know they are loss leaders(double aunt andre), and they are meant to get you in the door to what has the higher margins(ps plus and game pass).

TLDR, still the best value in gaming
+1   

1 month ago '16        #17
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 41369 41 K  Slaps total: 4780 4 K
 Da Ill One said
Yeah like within last two years. My point still remains
I’m hoping Microsoft sees it the same way.

1 month ago '04        #18
 Blunted Sultan said
I’m hoping Microsoft sees it the same way.
I think they do. I honestly not sure they care about the profit right this minute. I'm sure they love for it to be profitable, but I think they know that takes a while to happen and are prepared for that.
+3   

1 month ago '12        #19
 5ive04our said
So a streaming game service shouldn’t count subs as success? The whole point of gaming from any where is to game from anywhere fuxk you thought since a sub is not on the box it doesn’t count. Why not support the casual gamer?
This is what I mean by dont compare gaming to those tv streaming services... HBO Max started in 2020

+1   

1 month ago '04        #20
 Pleasure Boy said
This is what I mean by dont compare gaming to those tv streaming services... HBO Max started in 2020

And how many of those had HBO to begin with? And wanted HBO Max to watch movies and TV on the go. Same thing GPU is for
+2   

1 month ago '20        #21
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25986 25 K  Slaps total: 6613 6 K
 Quinn said
"profitable" is subjective, along with recently

since consoles are sold at a loss, you could argue PS5s arent profitable, but we know they are loss leaders(double aunt andre), and they are meant to get you in the door to what has the higher margins(ps plus and game pass).

TLDR, still the best value in gaming

PS5s stopped being sold at a loss 6 months ago

1 month ago '12        #22
 Da Ill One said
And how many of those had HBO to begin with? And wanted HBO Max to watch movies and TV on the go. Same thing GPU is for
You just dont get it bro... Anyway... Watching the game... I'm out

1 month ago '18        #23
Juliette DaBlok  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 43936 43 K  Slaps total: 6419 6 K
n*gga posted a picture of a TV like we've never seen one before
+7   

1 month ago '10        #24
Chiyosuke 
Props total: 15000 15 K  Slaps total: 775 775
 Juliette DaBlok said
+1   

1 month ago '20        #25
 Juliette DaBlok said
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  22
Video inside Dec 2 - Joel Osten church finessin
87 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+58online now  21
Video inside Black Man orders Chinese food in fluent Chinese and they pretend they d..
137 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+105online now  15
Deion invited Brittany Renner to speak to his team
193 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  12
Video inside Sandra Bullock Admits She Isn’t As ‘Woke’ As She Thought Parenting 2 Bl..
85 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy