Oct 16 - Number of Confederate monuments linked to number of lynchings, study finds

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+16  113
100 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '15        #1
632 page views
15 comments

Top Goon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x187
Props total: 154755 154 K  Slaps total: 18832 18 K
Oct 16 - Number of Confederate monuments linked to number of lynchings, study finds

Places with more Confederate monuments tend to also have a history of more lynchings, according to a new study by researchers at the University of Virginia.

Published by the National Academy of Sciences,*the study analyzed*county-level lynching data involving Black people from 1832 to 1950. The data showed that the number of lynchings in an area was a*sociated with a higher likelihood that the same area would have Confederate monuments.

“This is not a surprising finding,” said University of Virginia researcher and psychologist Kyshia Henderson, who led the study. “The prediction was always that lynching and memorials would be connected. We made this prediction because we knew the history of lynchings and memorials. Also, scholars and activists have long said that Confederate memorials are a*sociated with hate. We want to provide empirical evidence of that.”

Lynchings, which were used to punish Black Americans primarily through the eras of slavery and Jim Crow, were used as an indicator in the study because they are recognizable forms of violence used to suppress and intimidate Black people.

The research also cited*a study*that analyzed 30 dedication speeches for Confederate monuments and found that half of them used explicitly racist phrases. Some even mentioned protecting the Anglo-Saxon race.

“For communities grappling with Confederate memorials and what to do with them, this work provides some guidance,” Henderson said.

UVA professor and researcher Sophie Trawalter said in a statement that it is important to note that the data presented in the study is correlational.

"We can't pinpoint exactly the cause and effect. But the a*sociation is clearly there," Trawalter said. "At a minimum, the data suggests that localities with attitudes and intentions that led to lynchings also had attitudes and intentions a*sociated with the construction of Confederate memorials.

In 2020,*169 Confederate*symbols were removed in the aftermath of the racial reckoning prompted by the k*llings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and other Black people by police. Today, more than 2,000 known Confederate monuments still stand throughout the nation, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).

UVA's study and the SPLC's 2019*Whose Heritage report*both mark the "Ignite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, held to protest the removal of a Confederate statue, as a significant moment in the battle over Confederate monuments.

"After that event, a lot of people that weren't already engaged in activism surrounding these Confederate memorials began to take notice of these things,” Henderson said.

“It is important to recognize these memorials live in our public spaces and this matters,” she added. "Memorials in our public spaces say something about who is rightful, who is welcomed and who is entitled in these spaces. So what we chose to memorialize in these spaces should matter."
visit this link https://www.nbcnews.com/n .. finds-rcna3093
+3   

best
worst
15 comments

2 months ago '15        #2
Chasefovea 
Props total: 6784 6 K  Slaps total: 2256 2 K
take the monuments down
+11   

2 months ago '06        #3
Verdict  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 8572 8 K  Slaps total: 1440 1 K
 Chasefovea said
take the monuments down
@Fras @ @ @ @ @ @ will be here soon to slap you for this post
+2   

2 months ago '10        #4
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 94220 94 K  Slaps total: 20120 20 K
 Verdict said
I don’t slap posts.

2 months ago '06        #5
 Nautilus O said
I don’t slap posts.
Cool, but you and the others that were mentioned still have a fetish of wanting to pick cotton for white men

+1   

2 months ago '10        #6
 Verdict said
Cool, but you and the others that were mentioned still have a fetish of wanting to pick cotton for white men

you sound like you pick way more cotton that I ever have. You still wearing that “I voted” sticker?

How’d that work out? New massa good?

Verdict said
For all of those who don't vote, realize that you're leaving your future and your family's future in this country to these types of people. They want the country to go a certain direction and they're going to vote every election to make it happen.

EDIT: There's not a single good point or excuse anyone can make to not vote, PERIOD! Not when you have deranged fu*ks like these firef*ghters and nearly half the country who are going to vote for what THEY WANT!

2 months ago '06        #7
 Nautilus O said
you sound like you pick way more cotton that I ever have. You still wearing that “I voted” sticker?

How’d that work out? New massa good?
You mean the guy who passed the Cares Act that eliminates taxes up to $10,000, kept unemployed people on Health Insurance from their employers, increased food aid, student loan and child care help, and most importantly, everyone gets $300 a month per kid with the child tax credit instead of once a year.

The guy who got 200,000,000 people vaccinated within his first 100 days. Would've been more if it weren't for you pussies who think we're all going to one day drop dead when they unleash the power of the microchips in the vaccines.

All federal workers are now starting at $15 an hour per his executive order.

Trump promised to end the war in Afghanistan, Biden actually did it, because no one in this world is a bigger failure than Trump.

And at least one of the two infrastructure bills will pass, both would be incredible.

This is with a one vote majority in the senate that has two conservative democrats. Trump had wide majorities in both the house and senate and only passed legislation that gave rich people HUGE TAX CUTS.

2 months ago '10        #8
 Verdict said
You mean the guy who passed the Cares Act that eliminates taxes up to $10,000, kept unemployed people on Health Insurance from their employers, increased food aid, student loan and child care help, and most importantly, everyone gets $300 a month per kid with the child tax credit instead of once a year.

The guy who got 200,000,000 people vaccinated within his first 100 days. Would've been more if it weren't for you pussies who think we're all going to one day drop dead when they unleash the power of the microchips in the vaccines.

Trump promised to end the war in Afghanistan, Biden actually did it, because no one in this world is a bigger failure than Trump.

And at least one of the two infrastructure bills will pass, both would be incredible.

This is with a one vote majority in the senate that has two conservative democrats. Trump had wide majorities in both the house and senate and only passed legislation that gave rich people HUGE TAX CUTS.

So new Massa real good?

2 months ago '06        #9
 Nautilus O said
So new Massa real good?

Better than his guy, don't you agree?

Donald Trump: They're going to destroy suburbia. And 30 percent of people in suburbia are minorities ... and when they go in and ... you have lots of problems.

2 months ago '10        #10
 Verdict said
Better than his guy, don't you agree?

Donald Trump: They're going to destroy suburbia. And 30 percent of people in suburbia are minorities ... and when they go in and ... you have lots of problems.

Can’t tell. I don’t know any Black people who struggled under Trump that stopped struggling with new Massa

2 months ago '21        #11
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 23989 23 K  Slaps total: 4972 4 K
 Verdict said
y’all love me i don’t even know who you are

2 months ago '21        #12
 Verdict said

I don’t even like white people i told stories of how i cut my cousin off for marrying a white woman who are you people, i don’t even know your online name, let alone even know you

2 months ago '21        #13
 Verdict said

The fu*k does this have to do with me who are you people i don’t even recognize your online name

2 months ago '06        #14
 Nautilus O said
Can’t tell. I don’t know any Black people who struggled under Trump that stopped struggling with new Massa

3 million kids are now out of poverty due to the monthly child tax credit, how many do you think were from black families, you know, black families that make 10x LESS than white families.

Or the increase to $15 an hour for federal workers, over 50% being minorities.

Now give me your interpretation of these two articles below. Don't worry, I'm not expecting a legitimate response from you.

+2   

2 months ago '10        #15
 Verdict said
3 million kids are now out of poverty due to the monthly child tax credit, how many do you think were from black families, you know, black families that make 10x LESS than white families.
How are 3 million kids out of poverty by getting the same tax credit they did before?

they just gave it up front instead of during tax time

2 months ago '21        #16
Living rent free in n*ggas minds who i never met & don’t know who they are i don’t know what the achievement is but I’m chilling cozy in the minds rent free rent free yea that’s me!!!

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+107online now  15
Video inside She actually has a point
134 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+130online now  14
Dude Tells Joel Osteen He's A Piece Of Sh*t As They Take A Selfie Together
150 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  11
Dec 7 - Teenager behe@ded sister as mother held victim's legs
60 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+82online now  8
dr j says his tennis playing daughter was only born cause her mother had b..
155 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy