ICYMI: Bugatti's New CEO Is 33 Years Old

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section rides

2 months ago '21        #1
1725 page views
7 comments

mypostmakesense  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 5355 5 K  Slaps total: 378 378
ICYMI: Bugatti's New CEO Is 33 Years Old

Mate Rimac is used to being the underdog. At the Geneva auto show in 2009, the then-21-year-old Croat walked to the Koenigsegg booth looking for his idol, Christian von Koenigsegg. In those pre-YouTube-saturation years, Rimac didn’t know what the namesake of his favorite car brand looked like. And no one knew him. So he approached “the most serious-looking guy” at the stand and went on to befriend his idol, Rimac said in an interview on Aug. 13 in Carmel, Calif.

Twelve years on, Rimac, now 33, has more than leveled the playing field with his Swedish friend. On July 5 his Rimac Automobili — the tech and supercar company he founded in his garage — announced a joint venture with Porsche AG to take control of Bugatti. The 112-year-old French crown jewel in parent company Volkswagen AG’s crown, Bugatti sells cars like the 1,480-horsepower Chiron Pur Sport, which gets 8 mpg in city driving. The brand traditionally does not disclose specific sales results but is known to deliver roughly 80 vehicles globally each year. Rimac has characterized the acquisition as “removing some distractions” from VW.

According to the terms of the deal, Rimac holds a 55% stake in Bugatti-Rimac while Porsche owns the remaining 45%. Earlier this year, Porsche had also separately increased its stake in Rimac to 24%.

Rimac himself will take the helm of Bugatti-Rimac, while Porsche’s Oliver Blume and Lutz Meschke will join a supervisory board for the company. It’s all quite a change of view for a guy used to working behind the scenes.

“The stakes are getting bigger,” Rimac said. “But I am not somebody to play it safe. Never. Not even close. So if there is going to be some friction with our shareholders and more experienced people that come into the company, it’s going to be that.”

The arrangement marks the first time Volkswagen has ceded control over one of its brands to a company and a person so young. It also signals a subtle stratification of the company’s premium marques, dividing those aligned with Rimac, which includes Porsche and Bugatti, from those such as Audi and Bentley that are likely to continue using VW’s own electric components.

“We are already developing stuff that will be soon in high-volume Porsches,” Rimac says. “Not special projects, but the mainstream.” The company provides EV tech such as batteries for carmakers including Koenigsegg and Pininfarina.

At this point, Rimac admits that his 1,000-person, decade-old operation is far from an underdog. Porsche just paid the company $70 million, he says, and Rimac’s $2.4 million Nevera supercar recently turned in the quickest quarter-mile time ever for a production car. The Bugatti-Rimac venture will retain both Bugatti’s headquarters in Molsheim, France, and Rimac’s headquarters in Zagreb, Croatia.

“It feels really interesting when you think where we came from — this country has never had an automotive industry,” Rimac says of Croatia. “We had absolutely no idea what we were doing. And now our tech is in so many cars, and with Bugatti this whole thing is a huge responsibility.”

He is used to the pressure by now. Call it discipline à la automaker.

“I was told by our big OEM customers, if you screw up, the next day we send 30 trucks, they pick up everything, you are dead,” Rimac says. “If you screw up and you don’t deliver, everything stands still, and then you are dead. You are dead.”

visit this link https://www.autoblog.com/ .. mac-interview/
+8   

best
worst
7 comments

2 months ago '13        #2
recreal 
Props total: 3983 3 K  Slaps total: 241 241
Congrats to Mate. He's a genius.
+2   

2 months ago '20        #3
Detr0it 
Props total: 3832 3 K  Slaps total: 120 120
I want to see how this goes. Sounds like he basically bought his way into the spot. This can get really interesting really fast.

2 months ago '16        #4
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 45042 45 K  Slaps total: 4684 4 K
 Detr0it said
I want to see how this goes. Sounds like he basically bought his way into the spot. This can get really interesting really fast.
I think the real question is why was VW so eager to sell and why were none of the other majors willing to buy at whatever the sale price was?

Last edited by 00010111; 10-17-2021 at 10:40 AM..
+3   

2 months ago '06        #5
whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22913 22 K  Slaps total: 1497 1 K
These rappers slackin'

They haven't flexed on me in this yet?

+3   

2 months ago '04        #6
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 16790 16 K  Slaps total: 3551 3 K
Strange how porsche now the majority owner of bugatti (thru its own shares n thru its shares of rimac) n on the surface VW let go of bugatti for one "official" reason or another but VW still got porsche in a chokehold, so they aint really let anything go, just off they "direct subsidiary" books

Bugatti is a marquee too prized to let go, but too costly to keep too close

Also i guess rimac is different. After seeing how tesla is run and what nikola turned out to be, i wasnt so sure of these new tech savvy next gen up & comers with no history. Wish i had one hundredth of that young pollack's drive n belief in oneself to pursue ones dreams...
+2   

2 months ago '06        #7
realgunta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 119323 119 K  Slaps total: 5415 5 K
cool.

i remember seeing him online years ago with his electric car

2 months ago '17        #8
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 190535 190 K  Slaps total: 14091 14 K
 00010111 said
I think the real question is why were VW so eager to sell and why were none of the other majors willing to buy at whatever the sale price was?
Because they lose money for every car they make. While the Veyron sold for $1M it cost VW $4M to build each one.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+541online now  29
Article inside My Salary Journey > 40k to 400k in 10 years
361 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+28online now  17
Image(s) inside Ugliest Ugandian has started 2 families and you havent