Lionsgate CEO: 50 Cent's Raising Kanan SOLD Nearly 1 MILLION Starz Subscriptions In A Week

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '10        #1
2637 page views
97 comments

HolyFatherSteve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x194
Props total: 54506 54 K  Slaps total: 37947 37 K
Lionsgate CEO: 50 Cent's Raising Kanan SOLD Nearly 1 MILLION Starz Subscriptions In A Week

Jon Feltheimer -- Chief Executive Officer

Thank you, Nilay, and good afternoon, everyone. Thank you for joining us. I'd like to begin with a few highlights from a strong financial quarter and then drill down in each of our businesses.

Turning to our individual businesses, it was a strong financial quarter for Starz, but like the rest of the industry, we were impacted by a reduction in at-home viewership; and importantly, a light content quarter, due to COVID driven production delays.

We continue to grow our base of international subscribers in the quarter, but domestic subscribers declined, a temporary drop that we have already reversed since the end of the quarter. In fact, two weeks after the quarter ended, Power Book III: Raising Kanan debut to the second biggest Starz original series premiere ever, driving over 800,000 global subscriber gross ads in the first week alone and an 80% spike in viewership on the app.

As a result, we are again growing our domestic over-the-top subscriber base, which is already back to the March quarter's record levels. And with our biggest and strongest Starz Original Series slate ever this year, with 12 scripted series compared to seven last year and a building cadence of five tent-pole Series over the next three quarters, we continue to expect Starz's global subscriber growth this year to outpace subscriber growth last year.

Our confidence is buttressed by a very strong slate that following Raising Kanan includes, wrestling drama Heels starring Stephen Amell and Alexander Ludwig, getting great early reviews; the second season of the hit series Power Book II: Ghost; the sixth season of fan-favorite Outlander; Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson's crime family drama BMF; the horror comedy Shining Vale, starring Courteney Cox; and the debut of Power Book IV: Force.

These will be followed next season by high-end properties such as, the Watergate drama Gaslit, starring Julia Roberts and Sean Penn; the John Wick Prequel, The Continental; and The Serpent Queen, based on the dark legend of Catherine de' Medici.

Internationally, subscriber growth continued, but was slowed by a light content quarter as well as the global reopening. Here again, we've seen a significant subscriber uptick with the international launch of Raising Kanan which along with Ghost, Run The World and The Girlfriend Experience proves that great programming for our core audiences in the United States attracts a global audience as well.

Combined with Lionsgate feature films and library titles that are driving our theatrical content offering and best in class third-party acquisitions of The Great, Gangs of London, and the International premiere of Dr. death later this quarter, our best of global SVOD programming continues to set us apart as a home for original, adult, fiercely premium content, complimentary to every platform and a compelling value proposition for every bundle.

The next question will come from Steven Cahall with Wells Fargo. Please go ahead.

Steven Cahall -- Wells Fargo -- Analyst

Thanks. Maybe a couple for Jeff, so on Starz, could you just unpack that subscriber forecast a little bit about adding more subscribers this year than last. I know you have a big content pipeline coming in the rest of the fiscal year, it just seems like a lot of what we've seen in streaming is that the pandemic might have provided some pull forward. So just curious what gives you the confidence that, now that we're coming out of the pandemic you'll be able to have as strong a year for net ads, as you did last year?

And then, related on Starz International, how should we just think about segment profit for that segment this year? I think maybe you've talked about it on a profitability basis looking similar to last year, just didn't know if there was any update to that outlook. Thanks.

Jeffrey Hirsch -- President and Chief Executive Officer of Starz

Hey Steve. How are you? Yeah -- Great, as Jon and Jimmy talked in their remarks of the very light content quarter for us, we premiered two half hour comedies that were great shows that I think that coupled with the world opening back up, it was not our strongest quarter as we had guided on the last call.

But as they said also on their prepared remarks, we're very confident that this year will be stronger than last year. We're going from seven originals to 12 originals. We have five tent poles in the next three quarters that drive a large, large growth of subscriber acquisition. We also saw our churn at a historic low in this quarter.

So those two things coupled together give us great confidence, that we can -- we will accelerate growth this year, Kanan obviously premiered, as Jon said in his prepared remarks to huge numbers, huge viewership. And simply put, if Kanan was six weeks earlier, we will be having a different sequential conversation than we're having right now.

James W. Barge -- Chief Financial Officer

And on the segment profit portion of things Steven, yeah you're right, plus or minus in line with the prior year investment. And that's really based off the timing of content etc. We like what we're doing there. We like the market share we're capturing. We're leaning into it.

visit this link Lions Gate Entertainment Corp (LGF.A) Q1 2022 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Last edited by HolyFatherSteve; 09-27-2021 at 06:00 PM..
+27   

best
worst
97 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '10        #2
HolyFatherSteve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x194 OP

+10   

4 weeks ago '07        #3
strongthetruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 30573 30 K  Slaps total: 7500 7 K
Guarantee you they’re counting free trials. It’s a show directed at Blacks and we not paying for no Starz subscription for one damn show lol. That’s what Firesticks for. These number funny and fake af.

4 weeks ago '15        #4
gemini8686  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 32068 32 K  Slaps total: 8704 8 K
Yea I renewed my STARZ just to watch raising Kanan. I was gonna cancel it after the last episode but I guess I’ll watch the new BMF show to see if it’s any good. I wanna see book 2 season 2 as well
+22   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '10        #5
 strongthetruth said
Guarantee you they’re counting free trials. It’s a show directed at Blacks and we not paying for no Starz subscription for one damn show lol. That’s what Firesticks for. These number funny and fake af.

Gross adds is paid subscribers you dumb fu*k

Last edited by HolyFatherSteve; 09-27-2021 at 06:21 PM..
+14   

4 weeks ago '19        #6
TRILLIONSOTW  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 1930 1 K  Slaps total: 402 402
 strongthetruth said
Guarantee you theyíre counting free trials. Itís a show directed at Blacks and we not paying for no Starz subscription for one damn show lol. Thatís what Firesticks for. These number funny and fake af.

Almost hit the slap then thought damn you might be right. Then again, if your trial ran out or you canceled your subscription, starz would throw you a promo for way less... I got an offer for 3 months/2.99ea and my mans got a super random deal that was .99 cents for two months.
+3   

4 weeks ago '08        #7
bkid  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 21752 21 K  Slaps total: 1830 1 K
they sick 50 is running the tv show game lol
+33   

4 weeks ago '07        #8
strongthetruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 30573 30 K  Slaps total: 7500 7 K
 TRILLIONSOTW said
Almost hit the slap then thought damn you might be right. Then again, if your trial ran out or you canceled your subscription, starz would throw you a promo for way less... I got an offer for 3 months/2.99ea and my mans got a super random deal that was .99 cents for two months.
I get all that and itís believable. But whatís even more believable is that n*ggas donít like to pay for sh*t they can easily get for free. Myself included. The Power series is my favorite show on tv and I would never pay for the sh*t. Even if they offered me a $1 subscription.

4 weeks ago '14        #9
Nemohoes95 
Props total: 20295 20 K  Slaps total: 2350 2 K
50 should create his own network
+21   

4 weeks ago '14        #10
Lurker 
Props total: 119005 119 K  Slaps total: 14023 14 K
 strongthetruth said
Guarantee you theyíre counting free trials. Itís a show directed at Blacks and we not paying for no Starz subscription for one damn show lol. Thatís what Firesticks for. These number funny and fake af.

???
+3   

4 weeks ago '07        #11
stogz 
Props total: 108978 108 K  Slaps total: 14141 14 K
I don't know if i read it on bx or somewhere else online... but they said not one reputable/notable outlet wrote a review on the show. For all the success the series is having and now hearing this subscriber news, that's insane that all these outlets nationwide are ignoring it.

Due to the fact that these premium cable channels don't have commercials everywhere advertising their shows, a lot of the shows that we all remember and love didn't have nearly the type of ratings when they started, that these Power shows have currently. Which makes it even more egregious that media outlets don't cover this show at all
+16   

4 weeks ago '12        #12
TrillSwag  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 55703 55 K  Slaps total: 8611 8 K
I got STARZ for it too.
+6   

4 weeks ago '14        #13
Lurker 
Props total: 119005 119 K  Slaps total: 14023 14 K
 stogz said
I don't know if i read it on bx or somewhere else online... but they said not one reputable/notable outlet wrote a review on the show. For all the success the series is having and now hearing this subscriber news, that's insane that all these outlets nationwide are ignoring it.

Due to the fact that these premium cable channels don't have commercials everywhere advertising their shows, a lot of the shows that we all remember and love didn't have nearly the type of ratings when they started, that these Power shows have currently. Which makes it even more egregious that media outlets don't cover this show at all

Everything you said was on point. Especially the 2nd paragraph.
+31   

4 weeks ago '04        #14
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 15259 15 K  Slaps total: 3331 3 K
paying for tv never crosses my mind but i guess thats just me

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '10        #15
 xbossxplayax said
paying for tv never crosses my mind but i guess thats just me
easier than giving your computer AIDS fu*king with shady streaming sites and torrents
+10   

4 weeks ago '14        #16
Mutant Boy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 47492 47 K  Slaps total: 32028 32 K

4 weeks ago '16        #17
Soo Special OG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 40607 40 K  Slaps total: 7555 7 K
 stogz said

a black show doing numbers on premium cable, of course they dont give it attention lol
+10   

4 weeks ago '18        #18
Pastor Ra  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 53317 53 K  Slaps total: 11420 11 K
I said it when he did the Lionsgate deal in 2010, he purposely went with a studio that wasn't a mini major at the time when he did the 10 picture deal.

Now, Lionsgate is a mini major and they will either make the Big 5 into the Big 6 or get absorbed into 1 of the Big 5. Whether he's invested in Lionsgate or not, other studios will demand his production company.

He's done productions with at least 2 of the Big 5 already. He's been positioning himself for a min.
+11   

4 weeks ago '16        #19
Itsjustmefools  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 14275 14 K  Slaps total: 9664 9 K
 strongthetruth said

Thatís all it was! They had a strong ad marketing over past week offering free subscriptions

Just like how Disney fudged the numbers when they have free subscriptions to all of Verizon customers

Half the free trials 50 cent c*cky a*s probably bought himself
+3   

4 weeks ago '20        #20
nyctoneworleans  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 18480 18 K  Slaps total: 1448 1 K
 Itsjustmefools said
That’s all it was! They had a strong ad marketing over past week offering free subscriptions

Just like how Disney fudged the numbers when they have free subscriptions to all of Verizon customers

Half the free trials 50 cent c*cky a*s probably bought himself
Facts and now of this sh*t really matters, the most important thing is Nielsen Ratings!! your viewer share determines if you stay or if you get canned and cancelled! what do you think the subscriptions numbers are for shows on HBO ?? and Netflix series?? if your ratings (Viewership) gets Low, your out of here!

Last edited by nyctoneworleans; 09-27-2021 at 08:59 PM..

4 weeks ago '15        #21
gemini8686  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 32068 32 K  Slaps total: 8704 8 K
 nyctoneworleans said
Facts and now of this sh*t really matters, the most important thing is Nielsen Ratings!! your viewer share determines if you stay or if you get canned and cancelled! what do you think the subscriptions numbers are for shows on HBO ?? and Netflix series?? if your ratings (Viewership) gets Low, your out of here!
Youíre an obvious 50 hater and it shows
+5   

4 weeks ago '16        #22
LilHaitiBaby  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 12025 12 K  Slaps total: 1554 1 K
 strongthetruth said

Shut your po a*s up
+6   

4 weeks ago '05        #23
CartelFamill 
Props total: 12950 12 K  Slaps total: 1476 1 K
 strongthetruth said
I get all that and it’s believable. But what’s even more believable is that n*ggas don’t like to pay for sh*t they can easily get for free. Myself included. The Power series is my favorite show on tv and I would never pay for the sh*t. Even if they offered me a $1 subscription.

You a damn fool if you think Only Black People Watch sh*t like Raising Kanan

Thats Forecast Call....Lionsgates is one who Distrubated them 20 movies He did....and Starz.....The Betting House on Curtis
+5   

4 weeks ago '19        #24
PierreBlackman 
Props total: 2058 2 K  Slaps total: 93 93
Google bflix cuz sometimes it be bflix.to, bflix.co, etc. sh*t always changing the end so they don’t get jammed up but that sh*t got every movie, every show, any year, any genre your welcome juss close the lil popup windows when you first clicc on sum you gon be good it’s gonna play. I be watchin sh*t before it gets to the U.S or if I don’t have a certain streaming service I go there to watch w.e I’m hearing bout
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  4 weeks ago '21        #25
Aztec King 
Props total: 4401 4 K  Slaps total: 1138 1 K
That's all good but have you ever ridden bi*ch?

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  34
Video inside CNET: AirPods 3: Here's why they surprised me (video)
37 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+33online now  27
Oct 26 - Couponer scammed stores of $31.8 MILLION in fake coupons, funded her ..
143 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+98online now  14
Image(s) inside Jeezy: "I Got To Say Hov Got Hands Because, We Was Getting Down During..
141 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+17online now  12
World Series 2021 Thread!! Atlanta Braves @ Houston Astros!!!!
286 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy