Retroarch: Is it worth it with Dev Mode on Xbox One?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+18  132
68 replies  @games

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '08        #1
673 page views
13 comments

ExNihilo 
Props total: 42256 42 K  Slaps total: 685 685
Retroarch: Is it worth it with Dev Mode on Xbox One?

Background: I'm looking for a decent system for retro gaming and came across the Super Console X King. After I priced it out, it wasn't bad at $300 after buying a decent bluetooth controller, then I started looking at the Nvidia Stadia. That's a less expensive option at around $250 (after buying a controller).

This is gonna be a "fu*k around when I'm bored" set up, so it doesn't have to be top of the line. Dev mode is $20 on Xbox1, and I would be able to mod the system. If I have to, I also have an extra XB1X I can put it on, but I'd rather load it to my XB1 Elite that I don't use.

I want to know if anyone has an experience running it, because all the vids I find say you can run it on a XB1? If you are running it, do you have any recommendations or tips? Should I go with an Nvidia Shield or Super Console X King since it's preloaded, or is the set up pretty simple?

All a*sistance is appreciated.
+3   

best
worst
13 comments

3 weeks ago '12        #2
GucciBoy347 
Props total: 2298 2 K  Slaps total: 451 451
if your options are a shield or super console (im guessing has similar specs to a shield), then i think the xbox will be a better option. not sure how the speed will be on a xb1 but on my xbx. setup is easy enough if you know how to setup, but there are a few glitches that need to be ironed out (ui breaking when, no 4k upscaling, texture packs not working etc). it really just depends on what you want to play and do. I was using my switch for retroarch but recently switched to xbx for the better performace as well as gamecube and ps2 emulation. also you dont necesarilly need dev mode. it works in retail mode as well, though it seems that most prefer to use it in dev mode.

edit:: since you have a one x, theoretically, you should get similar speeds to xsx
+2   

3 weeks ago '07        #3
Itzike 
Props total: 2968 2 K  Slaps total: 204 204
Use my nvidia shields for retro arch. Mostly just run n64 and snes games Easy to set up.
+3   

3 weeks ago '08        #4
ExNihilo  OP
 GucciBoy347 said
if your options are a shield or super console (im guessing has similar specs to a shield), then i think the xbox will be a better option. not sure how the speed will be on a xb1 but on my xbx. setup is easy enough if you know how to setup, but there are a few glitches that need to be ironed out (ui breaking when, no 4k upscaling, texture packs not working etc). it really just depends on what you want to play and do. I was using my switch for retroarch but recently switched to xbx for the better performace as well as gamecube and ps2 emulation. also you dont necesarilly need dev mode. it works in retail mode as well, though it seems that most prefer to use it in dev mode.

edit:: since you have a one x, theoretically, you should get similar speeds to xsx
 Itzike said
Use my nvidia shields for retro arch. Mostly just run n64 and snes games Easy to set up.
Good look fellas. I'm still doing my googles and wanted some real takes on it.
+2   

3 weeks ago '21        #5
Jonny2soxs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 15200 15 K  Slaps total: 3755 3 K
I have it on my series x works great
Only problem is I have to reset the console when I use retroarch
+3   

3 weeks ago '06        #6
philly337  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 51357 51 K  Slaps total: 14788 14 K
 GucciBoy347 said

How do you do it with dev mode?

3 weeks ago '12        #7
GucciBoy347 
 philly337 said
How do you do it with dev mode?
set it up in dev mode? or without dev mode? im not 100% how to do it in dev mode or rather ive forgotten but there are tons of yt videos for that
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #8
philly337  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 51357 51 K  Slaps total: 14788 14 K
 GucciBoy347 said
set it up in dev mode? or without dev mode? im not 100% how to do it in dev mode or rather ive forgotten but there are tons of yt videos for that
Typo...meant without

I thought you could only do it eith dev mode. How do you do without?

3 weeks ago '05        #9
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 101525 101 K  Slaps total: 12953 12 K
I mean it depends, if you don't have a PC then sure.

But it's so much easier to run emulation with a PC then on a console.
+1   

3 weeks ago '08        #10
ExNihilo  OP
 Micheal C. Will said
I mean it depends, if you don't have a PC then sure.

But it's so much easier to run emulation with a PC then on a console.
So far I looked at building/buying a PC for it, buying a retro game unit/nvidia shield or picking up a raspberry pi.

Right now I have a personal laptop and work laptop. I stripped my other personal laptop when I cracked the screen. That probably could have worked.

I know I'm not gonna play retro as much, so I came to a realization I shouldn't sink that much money into it.

I have a XB1X that's hooked up to an extra tv in my basement and a XB1 Elite that I never turn on in my living room. I could buy a dev mode for $20 and use one of them.

With all of the prebuilds and PC's I'd probably end up getting XB controllers anyway, which is going to throw a few more dollars into a system I'm not really gonna use. Just want to have the option to play old games or company could play when I have people over. It's not a need and I'll admit I'm a casual gamer, but I also think this would be something different to have on hand when I feel nostalgic.
+1   

3 weeks ago '20        #11
LLSteezley 
Props total: 48 48  Slaps total: 13 13
Honest opinion,
I purchased an Xbox series S just so I can turn it into a retro gaming console. I literally only use my xbox for nostalgia. It works very well and was worth every penny I have spent ( Console was about $320 with tax included and Dev mode $20)
I play next gen games strictly on the PS5.
Every game I am reminded of that I used to play, I like having the luxury of just quick downloading the rom and jumping right into the game.
Games like Metal Gear Solid, Zelda Links Awakening, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time are all good revisit playthroughs and when the homies pull up, NBA Street Vol. 2 or NBA Showtime is MONEY!!!
Def Jam Vendetta and f*ght For NY as well, just so many games I have collected over the years, that I still have by the way, being in one convenient place is what mattered and that has been fulfilled for me.

Worth it?? YES. Game nights have changed in a major way.
-LLSteezley

Last edited by LLSteezley; 09-26-2021 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typos
+4   

3 weeks ago '07        #12
biff 
Props total: 555 555  Slaps total: 530 530
Which one has the best Dreamcast games? Or PlayStation 2 or GameCube also.

3 weeks ago '12        #13
GucciBoy347 
 philly337 said
Typo...meant without

I thought you could only do it eith dev mode. How do you do without?
what i did was join a discord server where someone uploads retroarch (and other homebrew) to the xbox store so you can download in retail mode. i prefer it because i don’t like switching back and fourth. but i also understand not wanting to join a server just for that lol but if you want a link this is it

+4   

3 weeks ago '12        #14
GucciBoy347 
also, if you're having trouble setting up anything in retroarch or duckstation (ps1), this is a great channel that taught me how to do most of what i needed.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+35online now  29
[Fat Loss] The 10 most Underrated foods for fat loss (and staying lean)
47 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+100online now  24
Video inside When y'all both notice red flags!!
77 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+306online now  23
Video inside My Man Can't Be a Security Guard No More After This....
178 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  16
Video inside HALLOWEEN k*llS (2021) | US Premiere
57 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy