MCU in trouble? Marvel Studios Suing To Keep Iron Man, Spider-Man & Avengers Rights

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
14 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

3 weeks ago '06        #1
1263 page views
28 comments

DonYBE 
Props total: 20072 20 K  Slaps total: 1897 1 K
MCU in trouble? Marvel Studios Suing To Keep Iron Man, Spider-Man & Avengers Rights

Marvel is suing the heirs of some of its biggest creators in an attempt to retain the rights to characters like Iron Man, Spider-Man, and the Avengers.

Marvel is suing the heirs of some of the company’s most notable creators in an attempt to retain the rights to characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the Avengers. Over the past two decades, the comic company’s biggest heroes have grown from comic book characters to pop culture superstars, with the MCU becoming the dominant force in global film. However, despite Marvel’s recent success, its characters are still subject to copyright law.

Under copyright law, creators or their families or estates can file to reclaim the rights to characters or franchises they made after a certain period of time. Generally, a comic writer cedes the rights to their characters to the company they write for, but after a number of years, the law allows for them or their heirs to petition the publisher’s rights to be terminated and the characters in question to be returned to their original creators. A successful termination filing means the company losing the rights to the character or story in question.

That waiting period is almost up for a number of major Marvel characters, and the company is taking legal action to try to retain the rights to Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Doctor Strange, and more. Per THR, Marvel has filed five different lawsuits against the heirs and estates of past creators including Stan Lee, Gene Colan, and Steve Ditko. The lawsuits claim that all the characters in question were created as work for hire, making their rights ineligible for a return to the creators. If Marvel fails in its efforts, it could start losing some of its biggest characters in less than two years.

Marvel’s lawsuits come just a month after Ditko’s estate filed a termination notice for Spider-Man, which would take affect in June of 2023. Noted attorney Marc Toberoff, who previously represented the creators of Superman in a similar case against DC Comics, is representing the Ditko estate, while Dan Petrocelli, who successfully defended in that same case, will be representing Marvel in its lawsuits. That past track record suggests that Marvel may have the legal upper hand this time around as well.

In 2013, Toberoff represented a similar case on behalf of Jack Kirby’s estate, but Marvel ultimately won out as the courts ruled that Kirby created his characters as work for hire. In short, comic companies have generally been successful at retaining their character rights in these sorts of situations, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that Marvel will come out on top. With Spider-Man, Iron Man, and many other Avengers all hanging in the balance, it should be interesting to see how the lawsuits play out.

visit this link https://www.google.com/am .. rs-rights/amp/

+5   

best
worst
28 comments

3 weeks ago '20        #2
Blafy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 60365 60 K  Slaps total: 4553 4 K

+12   

3 weeks ago '04        #3
Jumpoff21  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 15262 15 K  Slaps total: 770 770
 Blafy said

Bruh
+3   

3 weeks ago '20        #4
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x144
Props total: 80755 80 K  Slaps total: 16994 16 K

+6   

3 weeks ago '04        #5
JFamis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 12984 12 K  Slaps total: 2154 2 K
Disney would only lose full-ownership, so the MCU wouldn’t really be in trouble, but it would hit Disney’s profits and control over the IP hard.

3 weeks ago '06        #6
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 28234 28 K  Slaps total: 6805 6 K
 JFamis said
Disney would only lose full-ownership, so the MCU wouldn’t really be in trouble, but it would hit Disney’s profits and control over the IP hard.
I hope it happens. Disney has too much sway.
+9   

3 weeks ago '04        #7
 Storchaveli said
I hope it happens. Disney has too much sway.
Almost all these creators died in poverty from Marvel fu*king them over, so I do too. But the precedent set by the Superman/DC case with all the same attorneys involved, I have a feeling Disney will come out on top here.
+6   

3 weeks ago '20        #8
BlacksAndLatins  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16377 16 K  Slaps total: 11070 11 K
 JFamis said
Almost all these creators died in poverty from Marvel fu*king them over, so I do too. But the precedent set by the Superman/DC case with all the same attorneys involved, I have a feeling Disney will come out on top here.
agreed but.....

*contemplates propping*

*makes ^^this face*

SLAPPED

3 weeks ago '14        #9
ham made 
Props total: 613 613  Slaps total: 68 68
This sh*t is one big mess lol
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #10
tnice 
Props total: 19943 19 K  Slaps total: 739 739
cut the check
+3   

3 weeks ago '10        #11
M2CEO  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 12021 12 K  Slaps total: 1712 1 K
if disney loses, im cancelling my disney+ subscription
+1   

3 weeks ago '05        #12
theking08 
Props total: 1040 1 K  Slaps total: 93 93
I thought the estates would be getting royalties from all the movies and stuff?
+7   

3 weeks ago '06        #13
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 28234 28 K  Slaps total: 6805 6 K
 JFamis said
I just hate how powerful they’ve become and also detest the idea of them not being held accountable for their shady tactics.

BlacksAndLatins said
agreed but.....

*contemplates propping*

*makes ^^this face*

SLAPPED
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #14
 Storchaveli said
I just hate how powerful they’ve become and also detest the idea of them not being held accountable for their shady tactics.

He’s obsessed with me because I said something bad about Zack Snyder fans or some sh*t
+1   

3 weeks ago '05        #15
Stupendamatic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 20644 20 K  Slaps total: 1884 1 K
If it happens it probably means they'd just have to cut a big a*s check to use the characters.
+4   

3 weeks ago '08        #16
ExNihilo 
Props total: 42259 42 K  Slaps total: 685 685
 theking08 said
I thought the estates would be getting royalties from all the movies and stuff?
Not at all man, not at all. Deadpool was created by Rob Liefeld, who gets credit, but Marvel caked off the character.

That corporate thinking is what caused the creation of Image comics in the 90's. The hottest young talent at DC and Marvel had ideas that they would have lost out on if they took them to their companies. They decided to form a joint venture where each creator retained their property.

Deadly Class, Walking Dead, Kingsman, Invincible, Kick a*s are all published by Image and owned by the creators.
+1   

3 weeks ago '05        #17
bqstudios 
Props total: 19061 19 K  Slaps total: 3033 3 K
Those families deserve to get millions, sh*t that aiint gonna hurt Disney or marvels pockets. And did i read that right? They suing Stan lee??? wtf, they should be kissing the ground he used to walk on, for christ sake the man is dead.

Last edited by bqstudios; 09-24-2021 at 03:02 PM..
+8   

3 weeks ago '20        #18
UzamakiSageMode 
Props total: 2559 2 K  Slaps total: 524 524
Disney on their usual phukbwoi shyt

Too much money for those families to not be set for a generations at least

Marvel Pantheon is supposed to reflect all types and variations of people. Aliens, Mutants, Mutates, Gods, science experiments etc.

The MCU as it is will never be finite. The ever changing, every rewriting the stories got predictable. I already know what Disney will use and its usually the lowest hanging fruit.

Look at how long it took for Sony to even try to do Spiderman right. Look how poorly Disney's has used the major hitters like Hulk whos supposed to get his own franchise again. The comics have started their own weird retcon of the og comics.

Im all for telking stories everyone can share. But i have already put my younger family on to comics. Ive used examples of why comics are very educational for all ages. On a educational and recreational level.

What Disney is doing is taking away individual identity and generalizing everything as the same.

Please let them loose something. Cause the Carnage vs Spiderman vs Venom is ONLY happening because Sony has taken a different direction from the past. Disney dont do that at all.

3 weeks ago '04        #19
SeanP 
Props total: 4348 4 K  Slaps total: 669 669
Jack "The King" Kirby is rolling in his grave like this...

3 weeks ago '19        #20
Number5  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13538 13 K  Slaps total: 6785 6 K
 ham made said
This sh*t is one big mess lol
Shut yo a*s up before I slap it.

3 weeks ago '18        #21
Pastor Ra  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 52952 52 K  Slaps total: 11335 11 K
Said it in the other thread yesterday. They most likely settle and give some level of credit and compensation that wasn't there before.

If they lose...
+1   

3 weeks ago '20        #22
JLH2121 
Props total: 53 53  Slaps total: 8 8
Man seems like when Bob Isner stepped down Disney been doing so crazy stuff and all kind of drama been happening.

3 weeks ago '08        #23
jtdatruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 6104 6 K  Slaps total: 654 654
 bqstudios said
Those families deserve to get millions, sh*t that aiint gonna hurt Disney or marvels pockets. And did i read that right? They suing Stan lee??? wtf, they should be kissing the ground he used to walk on, for christ sake the man is dead.
They're suing his estate aka whoever owns the right to file to reclaim his characters

3 weeks ago '05        #24
bqstudios 
Props total: 19061 19 K  Slaps total: 3033 3 K
 jtdatruth said
They're suing his estate aka whoever owns the right to file to reclaim his characters
What an insult, its crazy how shameless these studios are.
+3   

3 weeks ago '05        #25
freshtoodef 
Props total: 10625 10 K  Slaps total: 475 475
Disney doesn’t lose.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+126online now  25
These Historical figures brought so much joy to the black community
328 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+203online now  20
Image(s) inside Finished my C8 Corvette Build
83 comments
2 days ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  17
Video inside Lmao….26 y/o still living at home trying to manifest a million dollar h..
282 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-38online now  6
Image(s) inside 30+ year old men how should one's dress code look?
212 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy