Sep 23 - Ivermectin Research Has a Big Fraud Problem, Scientists Say

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '07        #1
1435 page views
64 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x59
Props total: 90882 90 K  Slaps total: 11083 11 K
Sep 23 - Ivermectin Research Has a Big Fraud Problem, Scientists Say

Numerous studies suggesting ivermectin can treat or prevent covid-19 have dodgy data behind them, according to an international group of researchers.

Watchdog scientists are sounding the alarm over covid-19 studies involving ivermectin, a long-used antiparasitic that some claim can be effective at treating or preventing the viral illness.

In a new article this week, they argue that the research into ivermectin has been plagued by widespread fraud and lax oversight by other researchers.

The best way to prevent similar issues moving forward, they say, is to impose stricter standards in general on how data is collected and re-analyzed by scientists conducting reviews of the evidence.

Ivermectin has emerged as an unexpected cultural totem of the pandemic.

Some people, who often also distrust vaccines or have downplayed the pandemic, believe that ivermectin is a highly effective covid-19 drug that has been kept away from the public at the behest of Big Pharma.

Many people have been rightly skeptical of these claims, though some have been fooled by reports claiming that overdoses of ivermectin have overwhelmed emergency rooms or that it’s causing a mass epidemic of infertility in users.

In truth, ivermectin is an immensely valuable drug that’s very safe and effective when taken as an antiparasitic.

But despite some early studies in animals or in the lab suggesting that it could also help k*ll the coronavirus, the bulk of the evidence does not point to a major benefit from the drug for actual covid-19 patients, at least to date.

The largest and seemingly highest-quality studies have found no real effect on mortality or prevention of infection.

Meanwhile, the findings of some studies that seemed to show a tremendous effect have since been thrown into question.

In a new article published this week in Nature Medicine, scientists from the UK, Australia, Sweden, and the U.S. highlight two of these suspect studies that they’ve brought attention to in the past:

a purported clinical trial in Egypt that has now been pulled from the preprint server where it was released amid allegations of plagiarism and suspect data, and another in Iran that found a benefit in reducing mortality among hospitalized patients.

The Iran study may have failed to properly randomize participants to the treatment and control groups, an important step for obtaining valid results, the authors say.

But they say these examples are just the tip of the iceberg.

There are numerous other ivermectin studies they’ve found where even a cursory look at the data reveals glaring errors, conflicting details, and numbers so impossible that they were likely faked, the group argues.

Not only are these studies bad science, they add, they’re actively harming people.

Hundreds of thousands of people, often in poorer countries with little access to expensive antivirals or experimental drugs that have shown some promise in treating covid-19, have been given ivermectin for covid-19, despite very little good evidence that it does anything for them.

In the U.S., some people have gotten hurt from taking ivermectin without medical supervision. Just this week, New Mexico health officials reported that at least two residents were k*lled as a result of ivermectin toxicity, while others have developed seizures and hallucinations.

“Relying on low-quality or questionable studies in the current global climate presents severe and immediate harms,” the authors wrote.

“The enormous impact covid-19 and the consequent urgent need to demonstrate the clinical efficacy of new therapeutic options provides fertile ground for even poorly evidenced claims of efficacy to be amplified, both in the scientific literature and on social media.”

One key way these studies are amplified is through something called a meta-analysis, which is when scientists take a bunch of relevant studies on a topic and try to summarize the state of the evidence.

Though meta-analyses are an important part of science, they have to be done carefully to weed out poorly conducted or suspect research, or their results can become tainted.

The authors note that at least two meta-analyses have claimed to find a net benefit for ivermectin, thanks largely to the inclusion of the Egyptian study.

Following that study’s withdrawal, the authors of one meta-analysis have retracted their paper and have said they would reanalyze and republish their work without either the study from Egypt or Iran.

Scientific research is an imperfect process in the best of times.

But scientists and institutions like academic journals and media outlets are especially vulnerable to fraud, because the basic a*sumption is that everyone’s making a good faith effort to conduct science ethically.

Without rigorous checks and balances, even studies so flimsy that they fall apart with a brief glance can get media attention or be published.

The newfound popularity of ivermectin adds even more incentive for some to not check the math, since many fans will and have turned a blind eye to dodgy studies that claim to have found huge benefits for the drug.

Throughout this year and last, for instance, proponents of ivermectin have touted a study from Argentina that appeared to show ivermectin could prevent 100% of infections in health care workers.

Yet an investigation by Buzzfeed News published earlier this month unearthed evidence that parts of the study’s claimed methods and results simply don’t make sense and may have been fabricated, while some of the authors of this new paper have criticized it as well.

While scientific fraud can be hard to root out, the authors say a lot more could be done to prevent it from hijacking clinical research, not just for covid-19 but in general.

They’re calling for scientists to adopt a new standard for meta-analyses, where individual patient data, not just a summary of that data, is provided by scientists who conducted the original trials and subsequently collected for analysis.

Though this would mean more work for scientists (among other things, the data has to be properly anonymized to protect people’s privacy), having access to this kind of raw data would make it much easier for researchers to detect potential fraud or fatally flawed studies.

Studies whose authors don’t provide this information should be earmarked as having a high risk of bias or outright excluded from a meta-analysis, they add.

“We recognize that this is a change to long-accepted practice and is substantially more rigorous than the standards that are typically currently applied, but we believe that what has happened in the case of ivermectin justifies our proposal,” the authors wrote.

Notably, the authors of the Brazilian and Iranian studies have so far refused to make their patient data available to anyone else.

There are still ongoing clinical trials of ivermectin, in the U.S. and elsewhere, and it’s not inconceivable that the drug could yet have a modest benefit for covid-19.

But as things stand now, the state of ivermectin research is shameful.

“This research has created undue confidence in the use of ivermectin as a prophylactic or treatment for covid-19, has usurped other research agendas, and probably resulted in inappropriate treatment or substandard care of patients,” the authors wrote.
+5   

best
worst
64 comments

3 weeks ago '04        #2
bibbyboi 
Props total: 17544 17 K  Slaps total: 2483 2 K
This has been known. That's why nobody serious is advocating for it to be used to combat covid yet. Anyone who's not a nutcase isn't completely ruling it out, but is also calling for better studies on it. Most of the ones cited by ivermectin advocates are dog sh*t studies.
+8   

3 weeks ago '09        #3
GREAT1NE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13415 13 K  Slaps total: 1915 1 K
 bibbyboi said
This has been known. That's why nobody serious is advocating for it to be used to combat covid yet. Anyone who's not a nutcase isn't completely ruling it out, but is also calling for better studies on it. Most of the ones cited by ivermectin advocates are dog sh*t studies.

It’s hard to know what to trust anymore, agendas everywhere, but the reality is there’s no money to be made in ivermectin and “if” there is an agenda that’s perhaps the reasons for the hit pieces
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
justinjones 
Props total: 41866 41 K  Slaps total: 2200 2 K
the different sh*t folks are willing to try to combat covid is fu*king hilarious though

There are people out here using turpentine for it
+10   

3 weeks ago '04        #5
erickonasis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 86481 86 K  Slaps total: 9380 9 K
 bibbyboi said
@ is advocating for it

He has a PHD from the navy
+3   

3 weeks ago '21        #6
MacJokerJones 
Props total: 1021 1 K  Slaps total: 823 823
all roads lead back to iran, russia and china lol. MAGAworld eating up this
BS and calling themselves patriots and saviors lol.
+5   

3 weeks ago '04        #7
bibbyboi 
 GREAT1NE said

It’s hard to know what to trust anymore, agendas everywhere, but the reality is there’s no money to be made in ivermectin and “if” there is an agenda that’s perhaps the reasons for the hit pieces
This is bullsh*t. For one the person who said it isn't actually involved with the Japanese version of the CDC or FDA. They aren't someone who holds any sort of authority on the subject. It's like when Trump brought up the female Doctor that said the vaccines were made with alien semen or what ever she was saying, not as bad as that but you get the point. Secondly, that isn't even what he said. He basically said that the risk of adverse reactions were so low that you might as well try and use it on bad cases and this was before the vaccine was widely available. He never said it actually worked. And I'm pretty sure he now advocates for people to take the vaccine.
+3   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #8
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 93445 93 K  Slaps total: 25687 25 K
 erickonasis said
@ is advocating for it

He made that claim to me. Then told me doctors prefer dnr orders to treat covid patients over ventilators because he saw it in a youtube video. I guess no one in the medical dept in the navy taught him dnr stands for do not resuscitate. He thought dnr's were used to save people.
+10   

3 weeks ago '10        #9
lltreyll 
Props total: 5503 5 K  Slaps total: 1714 1 K
All I know is people that are down to earth and out and about on the regular couldn't give 47 flying fu*ks about covid shots, ivermectin or whatever else at this point. Most mask up if they need to and just go about their business.
+3   

3 weeks ago '04        #10
 Ymmot said
He made that claim to me. Then told me doctors prefer dnr orders to treat covid patients over ventilators because he saw it in a youtube video. I guess no one in the medical dept in the navy taught him dnr stands for do not resuscitate. He thought dnr's were used to save people.
+3   

3 weeks ago '09        #11
 bibbyboi said
This is bullsh*t. For one the person who said it isn't actually involved with the Japanese version of the CDC or FDA. They aren't someone who holds any sort of authority on the subject. It's like when Trump brought up the female Doctor that said the vaccines were made with alien semen or what ever she was saying, not as bad as that but you get the point. Secondly, that isn't even what he said. He basically said that the risk of adverse reactions were so low that you might as well try and use it on bad cases and this was before the vaccine was widely available. He never said it actually worked. And I'm pretty sure he now advocates for people to take the vaccine.

Again moneys involved in everything, and because there’s none to be made here it’s not gonna be backed. A lot of money is being made in vaccines, a lot more will be made if there’s no alternatives. Google “operation mockingbird” our media has been corrupted and politician’s/government have been bought. Money usually the answer

Last edited by GREAT1NE; 09-23-2021 at 03:20 PM..
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #12
abstractq 
Props total: 27214 27 K  Slaps total: 4826 4 K
 lltreyll said
All I know is people that are down to earth and out and about on the regular couldn't give 47 flying fu*ks about covid shots, ivermectin or whatever else at this point. Most mask up if they need to and just go about their business.
Most just get a couple of simple shots and keep it pushing

Anyway, I said this on here a while back... The real game chasing studies on ivermectin ended up being pulled down because of either fraudulent data or made up results

Last edited by abstractq; 09-23-2021 at 04:18 PM..

3 weeks ago '04        #13
bibbyboi 
 GREAT1NE said

Again moneys involved in everything, and because there’s none to be made here it’s not gonna be backed. A lot of money is being made in vaccines, a lot more will be made if there’s no alternatives. Google “operation mockingbird” our media has been corrupted and politician’s/government have been bought. Money usually the answer
The Africa study is a bad one because it's a retrospective study and has no controls. Just off a quick look at the India one you posted, there is no placebo group. It could just be that hydroxychloroquine hurt more than a placebo would have.

But this is why everyone is saying the studies are sh*tty right now and we need better ones. Those are obvious flaws.

3 weeks ago '06        #14
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 28109 28 K  Slaps total: 6765 6 K
The BX short bus isn’t gonna like this.
+10   

3 weeks ago '09        #15
 bibbyboi said
The Africa study is a bad one because it's a retrospective study and has no controls. Just off a quick look at the India one you posted, there is no placebo group. It could just be that hydroxychloroquine hurt more than a placebo would have.

But this is why everyone is saying the studies are sh*tty right now and we need better ones. Those are obvious flaws.
These where literally 2 seconds of searching. MSNBC, CNN, Rolling Stone all just ran with a fake ivermectin story from Oklahoma or wherever without so much as a call or any research/investigation, if you don’t think there’s an agenda even after all that and calling it only an animal drug when knowing full well there’s a human version and it’s been used (especially in poor countries) for a long time with results for all kinds of things including all kinds of viruses then this is a pointless conversation. But honestly it just blows my mind that of all a places a hip-hop forum just off the whole George Floyd and how the government has never cared would so quickly just believe everything that same government says lol. Blows my mind
+1   

3 weeks ago '09        #16
And I’ll just say this, whenever the Media, Government & big Pharma are all working so hard towards one direction, where billions are... be a little skeptical. 9/11 anniversary just happened and in hindsight it’s easy to see how wrong the response was, from the wars to the patriot act... you don’t put the genie back in the bottle when it comes to giving up liberties

3 weeks ago '17        #17
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 103136 103 K  Slaps total: 30871 30 K
@
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #18
Mexicanelvis 
Props total: 12956 12 K  Slaps total: 710 710
 erickonasis said
@ is advocating for it

You can never trust someone that willingly signed up to be trapped on a boat with other seamen for months on end
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #19
philly337  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 51358 51 K  Slaps total: 14788 14 K
 LostTenets said
@
Doesn't mean much...they cited the already known studies with issues and then downplay the other 100 showing benefits stating that they dont (thats false)

End of the day I know people its worked for personally which is what peaked my interest not what the media tells me...then I started looked at studies and seeing their results...not what the media said the result it is.

Whats more probable? Well respected qualified doctors seeing this work in real time and and reviewing all these studies with nothing to gain and everything to lose being called quacks...

Or pharmaceutical companies and the media not being honest for financial gain?

Last edited by philly337; 09-23-2021 at 04:19 PM..

3 weeks ago '04        #20
 Mexicanelvis said
You can never trust someone that willingly signed up to be trapped on a boat with other seamen for months on end

3 weeks ago '21        #21
Fras 
Props total: 4191 4 K  Slaps total: 4043 4 K
 philly337 said
Doesn't mean much...they cited the already known studies with issues and then downplay the other 100 showing benefits stating that they dont (thats false)

End of the day I know people its worked for personally which is what peaked my interest not what the media tells me...then I started looked at studies and seeing there result...not what the media said the result it is.

Whats more probable? Well respected qualified doctors seeing this work in real time and and reviewing all these studies with nothing to gain and everything to lose being called quacks...

Exactly. People that don’t think these “top scientists” can be bought out are delusional. Science has turned into total anti-science. The corruption going on in our government has hit our government run health institutions…and maybe it happened a long time ago I’m not sure but I know I’m more aware of it now than ever.

I first started questioning sh*t when I got Lyme disease a few years back, and realized how corrupt the treatment for that was. Took me years to find a doctor that listened to me
+1   

3 weeks ago '11        #22
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27153 27 K  Slaps total: 1130 1 K
People out here taking parvo medicine for covid and snorting or shooting up elephant tranquilizers

Get ya lifes
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #23
bibbyboi 
 philly337 said

End of the day I know people its worked for personally which is what peaked my interest not what the media tells me...then I started looked at studies and seeing their results...not what the media said the result it is.

Can you please link some of these peer reviewed double blind prospective studies that don't have any huge flaws?

3 weeks ago '17        #24
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 103938 103 K  Slaps total: 4330 4 K
The USA has fallen without a single bullet being fired
+7   

3 weeks ago '11        #25
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 54006 54 K  Slaps total: 39457 39 K
This a f*ght you won’t win, many people say it works and many saying they crazy. They gone ban it soon. I promise you, I give up I’m not commenting on anything about this virus ever again because any alternative medicine you try people call you crazy, and how you should trust all doctors they know better.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+309online now  19
Video inside My Man Can't Be a Security Guard No More After This....
181 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside HALLOWEEN k*llS (2021) | US Premiere
80 comments
24 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+31online now  13
Article inside Men Are Now More Likely to Be Single Than Women.
192 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+33online now  10
Ted Sarandos: Dave Chappelle 'Content Doesn’t Directly Translate to Real-World..
64 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy