Was DJ Premier's collab with Christina Aguilera a success or failure?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+18  83
57 replies  @games

most viewed right now
+19  58
26 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

Success 25 53.19%
Failure 6 12.77%
Never listened 16 34.04%
Voters: 47.   (BX member poll)

3 weeks ago '11        #1
1026 page views
27 comments

QB Eagles  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19980 19 K  Slaps total: 4834 4 K
Was DJ Premier's collab with Christina Aguilera a success or failure?

+8   

best
worst
27 comments

3 weeks ago '11        #2
shellz386  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14090 14 K  Slaps total: 2204 2 K
Absolutely.

Here's a sleeper from that album as well

+4   

3 weeks ago '17        #3
Two 40 Shorty 
Props total: 23914 23 K  Slaps total: 4587 4 K
Any of y’all n*ggas got Christina Aguilera nud*s? bi*ch been in the industry 20+ years and I ain’t seen her t*ts or puss yet
+5   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
gimmethat 
Props total: 10557 10 K  Slaps total: 1156 1 K
just curious why would you even consider it to be a failure?
+6   

3 weeks ago '17        #5
TrillestTalk404  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 50584 50 K  Slaps total: 8202 8 K
Neither. It was just a fat check

+2   

3 weeks ago '18        #6
Crisco  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4277 4 K  Slaps total: 579 579
this when she was at her baddest
+2   

3 weeks ago '06        #7
SKDontPlay 
Props total: 2876 2 K  Slaps total: 252 252
Hip Hop-wise it’s a success for the reason that Premo is considered a boom-bap true school producer. He’s always made that dirty, grimey sh*t for the streets. So to not only work with someone who was Britney and *NSYNC’s contemporary seemed like a mismatch that would never happen.

For Xtina it was a failure because it was bad timing, badly marketed, and I believe it didn’t get the sales and spotlight back for her, nor did it garner the critical acclaim that an Amy Winehouse or Adele would eventually receive by delving into a more Jazz/Blues inspired album.

She also suffered from bad timing tho. She was signed first, but Britney released music first so she was thought of as her main rival and first Britney copycat.

She was allowed to experiment musically a bit more than her Mouseketeer contemporaries, but it always seemed like her label never allowed her to do “real music”. This was her first attempt coming off the success of that Beautiful song, and because it didn’t hit it seems like she just got stuck making pop music.

I don’t I’ve ever heard the album front to back, but the songs I have heard are dope. It’s good music.
+5   

3 weeks ago '11        #8
QB Eagles  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
 gimmethat said
It didn't lead to more Primo collaborations with Christina Aguilera or other R&B artists. I wonder how Beyonce would sound over a Primo beat. It didn't start a new wave of boom bap R&B. I'm not sure it was recognized or well received in Hip Hop or R&B crowds. It kind of just came and went. It would've been nice if it had a bigger impact because Primo didn't dilute his sound. He stayed true. And it was nice for Christina to reach and extend for Primo's sound. It sounded great and no other female R&B artists experimented like this.

3 weeks ago '18        #9
Steve Gee97  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 21532 21 K  Slaps total: 3111 3 K
I used to sing this song back in Fall 2006....

Premo gave Christina a good beat. It sounded tailored for her.

3 weeks ago '12        #10
sycomiko 
Props total: 4422 4 K  Slaps total: 1305 1 K
 gimmethat said
Because OP breaths hate n envy.
+1   

3 weeks ago '19        #11
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 4784 4 K  Slaps total: 303 303
I was just happy to see Preme get a big bag and acknowledgement
+5   

3 weeks ago '04        #12
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 37580 37 K  Slaps total: 2824 2 K
It was a win for Preemo plus it showed her range imo
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #13
gimmethat 
Props total: 10557 10 K  Slaps total: 1156 1 K
 QB Eagles said
It didn't lead to more Primo collaborations with Christina Aguilera or other R&B artists. I wonder how Beyonce would sound over a Primo beat. It didn't start a new wave of boom bap R&B. I'm not sure it was recognized or well received in Hip Hop or R&B crowds. It kind of just came and went. It would've been nice if it had a bigger impact because Primo didn't dilute his sound. He stayed true. And it was nice for Christina to reach and extend for Primo's sound. It sounded great and no other female R&B artists experimented like this.
the album was a commercial success ,i think he even toured with her for a while.She was looking for that jazz element and don´t quote me but i think i remember reading that he got a few requests to do more songs for other artists but he chose not to.He wasnt trying to get into another genre ...but who knows

can´t be a failure since it was her last succesful release
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #14
SKDontPlay 
 QB Eagles said
I think it kinda resurrected Primo’s career within the industry. Rap music was moving in a new direction, Gangstarr was kinda done, and even his longtime collaborators like Nas and Jay weren’t fu*king with him no more. (Nas making bullsh*t promises on a Premo-laced record).

At the time, only person messing with him, that I remember, was AZ and Royce (prior to crawling back to Eminem).

After this Xtina album he got to do that Classics joint with Nas, Ra, Ye, KRS. That led to some work My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, collab with Bun B, linking back up with Royce, touring, an MC Eiht collab.

3 weeks ago '11        #15
QB Eagles  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
Primo made great collaborations with R&B artists

+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #16
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 26177 26 K  Slaps total: 4030 4 K
 QB Eagles said

9th Wonder made a track for Destiny's Child called "Girls" that was dope.......
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #17
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 26177 26 K  Slaps total: 4030 4 K
 SKDontPlay said
I think it kinda resurrected Primo’s career within the industry. Rap music was moving in a new direction, Gangstarr was kinda done, and even his longtime collaborators like Nas and Jay weren’t fu*king with him no more. (Nas making bullsh*t promises on a Premo-laced record).

At the time, only person messing with him, that I remember, was AZ and Royce (prior to crawling back to Eminem).

After this Xtina album he got to do that Classics joint with Nas, Ra, Ye, KRS. That led to some work My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, collab with Bun B, linking back up with Royce, touring, an MC Eiht collab.

Your claims are inaccurates as fu*k...lol!!!

Primo stayed working non stop before and after that track he did for Christina.... it's a fact...... every year he put sh*t put with mad artist... even today he has worked with Grisleda and many others. My man never fell off....
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #18
SKDontPlay 
 marcchrome said
Your claims are inaccurates as fu*k...lol!!!

Primo stayed working non stop before and after that track he did for Christina.... it's a fact...... every year he put sh*t put with mad artist... even today he has worked with Grisleda and many others. My man never fell off....
I didn’t say he fell off. I was pointing at a lull in his career. It was around this time he was struggling to keep D&D Studios open.
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #19
ddash 
Props total: 52131 52 K  Slaps total: 3888 3 K
I have and always will hate aint no other beat and song.Complete a*s

The others were cool tho.Sometimes his beats to simple.

QB Eagles said
Primo made great collaborations with R&B artists

He did a video about that beat yestderday on his youtube.It is 1 of the laziest beats I have ever heard lol.I was like man it aint even no damn bassline lol.

He said the label chose the bassless version.He took the bass out for the AZ rap part and I guess the label loved it

Last edited by ddash; 09-22-2021 at 10:38 PM..

3 weeks ago '18        #20
S-Class  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 91352 91 K  Slaps total: 9072 9 K
Just skimmed the tracks posted in here

These joints hard
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #21
bibbyboi 
Props total: 17542 17 K  Slaps total: 2483 2 K
Those beats are hard as fu*k. Holy sh*t why have I never heard these before?

3 weeks ago '05        #22
Flatbush85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16085 16 K  Slaps total: 1512 1 K
 marcchrome said
9th Wonder made a track for Destiny's Child called "Girls" that was dope.......

3 weeks ago '21        #23
Marrero 
Props total: 2685 2 K  Slaps total: 1211 1 K
Didn't know he did the whole album. Just that single.

3 weeks ago '09        #24
BrooklynStiles  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 45026 45 K  Slaps total: 10951 10 K
That executive producer bag was his Grammy

3 weeks ago '18        #25
HitmanBeats  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 9693 9 K  Slaps total: 920 920
Years ago Premo mentioned that he and Christina didn't get along during the making of the album. They made up years later.

He said he was working on a baseline in which she approved of before she left the studio. The next day she walked into the studio in a bad mood, didn't say hi to him, she just walked in and said "you know that baseline we were working on last night? delete it, we're not using it"

He didn't like her attitude and had to check her.

Just blaze had the same kind of situation with eminem when he produced one of his albums. Blaze told Em that his flow was lagging, and em got offended.

Just Blaze: Yo, Em, you might want to speed the flow up, it's a bit off.

Em:"Nah, I'm not hearing that dog"
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+302online now  45
Video inside My Man Can't Be a Security Guard No More After This....
177 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+34online now  30
[Fat Loss] The 10 most Underrated foods for fat loss (and staying lean)
47 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+99online now  26
Video inside When y'all both notice red flags!!
77 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+35online now  14
this is called eating good in jail
105 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy