Sep 22 - U.S. appeals court erases ruling allowing gun sales to people under 21

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
82 replies  @gear

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '11        #1
449 page views
8 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x40
Props total: 163103 163 K  Slaps total: 22699 22 K
Sep 22 - U.S. appeals court erases ruling allowing gun sales to people under 21

Sept 22 (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Wednesday threw out its recent decision that a federal prohibition on firearms dealers selling guns to young adults under 21 was unconstitutional, deciding the case was now moot because both plaintiffs have reached that age.

A panel of the Richmond, Virginia-based 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had issued the 2-1 ruling on July 13, authored by Circuit Judge Julius Richardson. But Richardson said it now serves the public interest to vacate the decision, clearing the way for further litigation on the matter.

Richardson also said the public and legal community will benefit because "the exchange of ideas between the panel and dissent will remain available as a persuasive source."

The federal measures being challenged bar handgun sales to people ages 18 to 20.

In the July decision, the panel's majority said people as young as 18 had a right to own guns under the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms.

It also said young adults could not be relegated to "second-class status," notwithstanding the "weighty interest in reducing crime and violence."

One plaintiff turned 21 before the court ruled, and the second turned 21 on July 25 before the court issued a mandate in the case. Both had sought unsuccessfully to buy firearms in Virginia, when they were younger.

"These young men and women are disappointed that the system continues to deny their equal access to fundamental liberties simply because of their youth" and because the litigation took too long, their lawyer Elliott Harding said in an email.

President Joe Biden's administration last month had asked the entire 4th Circuit to reconsider the panel's decision. That request is now also moot.

Judge James Wynn, who strongly dissented from the original decision, said on Wednesday the vacated ruling now has "no legal value" and its persuasive value "can be no more than the value of newspaper editorials."

The U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments on Nov. 3 in a separate case testing the constitutionality of a New York law restricting people's ability to carry guns outside the home.

A decision is expected by the end of next June. The case could generate the court's first major Second Amendment decision since 2010.

The case is Hirschfeld et al v Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco & Explosives et al, 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 19-2250.

visit this link https://www.reuters.com/w .. 21-2021-09-22/
+1   

best
worst
8 comments

3 weeks ago '10        #2
lltreyll 
Props total: 5509 5 K  Slaps total: 1714 1 K
I understand guns as a hobby. A civilian buying them out of fear and the illusion of safety is ridiculous though.

3 weeks ago '20        #3
LuxG1 
Props total: 6120 6 K  Slaps total: 1482 1 K
 lltreyll said
I understand guns as a hobby. A civilian buying them out of fear and the illusion of safety is ridiculous though.
Thatís why training is important
+4   

3 weeks ago '10        #4
lltreyll 
Props total: 5509 5 K  Slaps total: 1714 1 K
 LuxG1 said
Thatís why training is important
Yep.

3 weeks ago '05        #5
TKO420 
Props total: 4733 4 K  Slaps total: 272 272
If you're military or had extensive firearm training, under 21 then yes buy whatever...barring a mental exam; especially if you saw combat. But most ppl even under 25 are immature as fu*k and should not be able to buy handguns. Rifles I'm good with at 18+. I know I'll get slapped but whatever

3 weeks ago '07        #6
Damagegadget  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 57475 57 K  Slaps total: 7304 7 K
But you can send 18yr olds to war hmm
+6   

3 weeks ago '15        #7
satsuma  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7326 7 K  Slaps total: 3258 3 K
 TKO420 said
If you're military or had extensive firearm training, under 21 then yes buy whatever...barring a mental exam; especially if you saw combat. But most ppl even under 25 are immature as fu*k and should not be able to buy handguns. Rifles I'm good with at 18+. I know I'll get slapped but whatever
How can you generalize about what most ppl are? Do you know most ppl?
+2   

3 weeks ago '06        #8
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 88878 88 K  Slaps total: 14220 14 K
Knew it was going to be the 4th circuit

Last edited by Skateboard T; 09-23-2021 at 09:08 AM..

3 weeks ago '15        #9
Lord Funkington 
Props total: 9182 9 K  Slaps total: 1477 1 K
This can't go sideways

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  21
Video inside Why Car Buyers Are Ditching Dealerships For Online Sales
69 comments
1 day ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside Dear Dr.Sebi d*ck Lickers, $10,00USD, If you can solve this one problem..
169 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  13
Video inside Lil Durk - Pissed Me Off
89 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-28online now  9
Coi Leray haters gonna have to hold a L after Twinnem