London Brown Defends Marvin's Driving, But Can't Defend His Treatment of Jukebox

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

3 weeks ago '04        #1
1566 page views
34 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 18452 18 K  Slaps total: 1970 1 K
London Brown Defends Marvin's Driving, But Can't Defend His Treatment of Jukebox

London Brown knows that Power Book III: Raising Kanan fans feel passionately about the Starz drama and his performance as Marvin. He’s also hoping they’ll ease up on haranguing him on Twitter and on the street.

Yes, Marvin has crashed not one but two Mercedes-Benzes while his enemies opened fire. But the Ballers vet argues his character’s vehicular collisions are all a part of his gangster process.

“People want to talk about him wrecking cars,” Brown passionately tells TVLine. “But Marvin does what he has to do by any means necessary. Sometimes that means wrecking Benzes and driving head-first while people are shooting firearms. If it means he can save his nephew from being shot and k*lled or his brother from burning up in a house fire, he’s going to go for it. Marvin is ride or die to a fault.”

Although fans view Marvin as the show’s comedic foil, Brown says the laughter is an afterthought.

“Marvin wasn’t written to be the comic relief, even though he can be,” Brown shares. “He wasn’t thinking about the blue caps and Kanan not mixing the batch the right way just like he wasn’t thinking about wrecking two cars. That’s what people don’t understand: all of the layers.”

It’s the complicated aspects of Marvin that make him so enjoyable to play, the actor adds.

“People talking about his car insurance is going to be sky high,” Brown groans.
“Marvin probably doesn’t even have real paperwork on those cars. Do you think as fly as he is, he’s going to the DMV? He pays the Dominican car dealers in cash and handles his business. He’s not walking anywhere or catching the bus or the subway. That’s what they’ve got to understand.”

Comprehending Marvin’s driving missteps is one thing. But his shortcomings as a father and his choice to use violence even shocked his portrayer during this week’s installment, titled “Loyal to the End.” That’s because Marvin not only failed to embrace his daughter Jukebox’s s*xuality, but he physically attacked her.

“That was the hardest thing to shoot, and I know [costar] Hailey [Kilgore] would say the same,” Brown recalls. “It was very difficult. We had tons of questions. I didn’t know how to approach it. Hailey and I even talked about it after the fact. I just needed it to make sense. Why would Marvin get physical with a daughter he’s barely around? I talked to my LGBTQ friends, and they said violent reactions from strict parents are common. We also had to meet with the stunt coordinators to work out the physicality of it.”

Brown also took into consideration the time in which the story takes place, he says.

“You also have to remember this was the ’90s,” Brown explains. “Parents in 2021 are more liberal and accepting, but Marvin is old school. He didn’t even use the right term. He said ‘Lebanese’ instead of ‘lesbian.’ But the violence even shocked and scared Marvin. He snapped and lost it and then felt ashamed and sad, but it was too late. Those are the layers that make Marvin and the other characters very real.”

Marvin is loyal to his family, but he also has the capacity to hurt them. He raised Raq and Lou-Lou when their own parents struggled with drug addiction, but he has a hard time raising and getting to know Jukebox.

“As much as Marvin is trying to do right by his sister and brother, he has another side to him,” he says. “That’s why I had to play Marvin lighter at the top of the season because I knew he was going to go somewhere dark.”

The hasty actions of Jukebox’s father also shape who she will ultimately become.

“Now people can better appreciate why Jukebox became so tough as an adult because of the things she had to deal with growing up,” Brown concludes. “Her girlfriend died, and she had a strained relationship with her father. All of these layers help us understand why these characters turned out the way they did.”

visit this link https://tvline.com/2021/0 .. arvin-jukebox/
+12   

best
worst
34 comments

3 weeks ago '17        #2
KINGMFCOLD  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5271 5 K  Slaps total: 745 745
Episode was straight fire. Dude played that part very well.
+35   

3 weeks ago '11        #3
wjcorner  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 9235 9 K  Slaps total: 800 800
 KINGMFCOLD said
yeah I'll give that to him. he had to recover after that awful scene to close out the episode before

SOMEBODY HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEE

Raising Kanan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OG Power, even with all the shenanigans they doing already.
+23   

3 weeks ago '17        #4
 wjcorner said
yeah I'll give that to him. he had to recover after that awful scene to close out the episode before

Raising Kanan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OG Power, even with all the shenanigans they doing already.
Yeah the show feels and looks authentic unlike the other two.
+8   

3 weeks ago '05        #5
gizmozoe 
Props total: 1894 1 K  Slaps total: 352 352
Lmao he gone have CTE by the second season of he keeps crashing those cars
+19   

3 weeks ago '14        #6
iamlegend24 
Props total: 17187 17 K  Slaps total: 1672 1 K
 wjcorner said

Lmao what shenanigans do you think they doing already?
+1   

3 weeks ago '11        #7
wjcorner  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 9235 9 K  Slaps total: 800 800
 iamlegend24 said
Lmao what shenanigans do you think they doing already?
Just some over the top sh*t that the Power universe is known for. The house on fire with no smoke is a basic cable tv thing I’ve always hated(fought a real fire before so it’s a sour point anytime I see it though lol), the excessive crashing of the car, police basically having no presence on the street, which I can rock with but there’s no civilian who snitches on Kanan and homeboy bare faced blasting in broad daylight at the bodega corner they frequent??? I wasn’t in New York until the late 90s, early 00s, I hear it was the Wild West for a bit but every wild story I hear happened at night and n*ggas were ski masked up for a reason. The police being, idk, retarded??? Let me meet with lil homie I think k*lled ol’ boy in a secluded area of the projects…n*gga acted like he was doing a drug deal, not asking for bone marrow. The eureka moment when he realizes Def Con was locked up and he happened to splash in shorty around the same time frame. Idk, I feel like if he’s on the beat like that monitoring n*ggas, he’d know when Raq is pregnant while she growing an empire with homie locked up.

Bottom line, it’s a lot of small sh*t but Power blew me so bad I came into this series with an eye looking for the tales that this sh*t would end up the same. I fu*ks with it heavy though
+6   

3 weeks ago '14        #8
iamlegend24 
Props total: 17187 17 K  Slaps total: 1672 1 K
 wjcorner said
Just some over the top sh*t that the Power universe is known for. The house on fire with no smoke is a basic cable tv thing I’ve always hated(fought a real fire before so it’s a sour point anytime I see it though lol), the excessive crashing of the car, police basically having no presence on the street, which I can rock with but there’s no civilian who snitches on Kanan and homeboy bare faced blasting in broad daylight at the bodega corner they frequent??? I wasn’t in New York until the late 90s, early 00s, I hear it was the Wild West for a bit but every wild story I hear happened at night and n*ggas were ski masked up for a reason. The police being, idk, retarded??? Let me meet with lil homie I think k*lled ol’ boy in a secluded area of the projects…n*gga acted like he was doing a drug deal, not asking for bone marrow. The eureka moment when he realizes Def Con was locked up and he happened to splash in shorty around the same time frame. Idk, I feel like if he’s on the beat like that monitoring n*ggas, he’d know when Raq is pregnant while she growing an empire with homie locked up.

Bottom line, it’s a lot of small sh*t but Power blew me so bad I came into this series with an eye looking for the tales that this sh*t would end up the same. I fu*ks with it heavy though
I get where you coming from on some of your points I'm just glad they tried to make this more realistic and grounded compared to the other 2 powers
+6   

3 weeks ago '05        #9
Y.G. 
Props total: 27972 27 K  Slaps total: 3754 3 K
Marvin is easily the best character on the show.
+12   

3 weeks ago '18        #10
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 58581 58 K  Slaps total: 20068 20 K
Came in not really feeling the series as I felt it felt like grodt 2 but it has slowly grown on me and dsmn Joey badass is playing the hell out of his character .

Don't wanna spoil it but why they k*ll u knw who so early. I just knew he was gonna be around 4 awhile.
+2   

3 weeks ago '19        #11
dmboat990 
Props total: 4920 4 K  Slaps total: 380 380
I like Raq she fine as a mf her chocolate a*s
+12   

3 weeks ago '06        #12
LYTE 
Props total: 24524 24 K  Slaps total: 2113 2 K
 Oswaldgatesjr said
Came in not really feeling the series as I felt it felt like grodt 2 but it has slowly grown on me and dsmn Joey badass is playing the hell out of his character .

Don't wanna spoil it but why they k*ll u knw who so early. I just knew he was gonna be around 4 awhile.
The show is meh
My people and I jokingly call it the TV version of Get Rich or Die Trying
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #13
Duntaz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 48241 48 K  Slaps total: 3003 3 K
Nigha spent the bin with the machine gun amd a cigarette like

dmboat990 said
I like Raq she fine as a mf her chocolate a*s
Yeah her body on point, lil slim s*xy thang.
+4   

3 weeks ago '21        #14
Playboy69  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 17512 17 K  Slaps total: 1956 1 K
Great theme song = Great Sitcom
+3   

3 weeks ago '16        #15
Funke  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 16317 16 K  Slaps total: 2740 2 K
Bruh is dope he also writes too..
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #16
K1DWONDER 
Props total: 457 457  Slaps total: 65 65
The fact Raq only 36 in real life is mind blowing…she playing the hell out that role…I thought she was at lowest early 40s
+4   

3 weeks ago '20        #17
MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 21781 21 K  Slaps total: 4147 4 K
 KINGMFCOLD said
Would you be okay with your daughter being a lesbian? And reacted the same way as he did??

Or does your hatred of gay people only include gay males?

3 weeks ago '04        #18
Dash  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 90971 90 K  Slaps total: 6606 6 K
best character on the show IMO

young juke is probably the best actor of the bunch tho
+5   

3 weeks ago '17        #19
Two 40 Shorty 
Props total: 23914 23 K  Slaps total: 4587 4 K
Jukebox spit on him
He yoked her up like she was a grown a*s n*gga
What is there to be explained?
+6   

3 weeks ago '17        #20
 MrDarkCloud said
Would you be okay with your daughter being a lesbian? And reacted the same way as he did??

Or does your hatred of gay people only include gay males?
WTF??? I could care less who you fu*kin as long as you ain't trying to get with me. Ya Dig?

3 weeks ago '20        #21
 KINGMFCOLD said
WTF??? I could care less who you fu*kin as long as you ain't trying to get with me. Ya Dig?
You'd be okay if your son was gay?

3 weeks ago '12        #22
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 183271 183 K  Slaps total: 10698 10 K
I noticed he's been in multiple scenes with fire's involved. Foreshadowing for a double cross cause hes jealous

3 weeks ago '19        #23
Dredagod7920 
Props total: 478 478  Slaps total: 87 87
 wjcorner said

I grew up in queens during them times and I’m from far rockaway and let me tell you first hand my brother I’m glad I’m here typing to you. That was definitely that era n*ggas was not wearing ski mask unless it was a contract job. n*ggas on the block was not walking around with masks in there back pocket it was open season 91-94! But they definitely doing a good job with this season I know tommy sh*t going to be crazy just because it’s tommy!
+2   

3 weeks ago '17        #24
 MrDarkCloud said
You'd be okay if your son was gay?
I Already gave you my answer. Can You Read Muthafu*ka?

3 weeks ago '20        #25
 KINGMFCOLD said
I Already gave you my answer. Can You Read Muthafu*ka?
You didn't give me your answer at all.

And you contradict yourself frequently because I distinctly remember you talking about how much you hate "fag**ts" and "the agenda."

You need to make up your mind.

Either you're okay with it, or you aren't.

Or how about this - just don't have any kids. That way, we wont have to worry about you abusing them kids like Marvin did Juke.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+31online now  20
Article inside Men Are Now More Likely to Be Single Than Women.
192 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  17
Video inside HALLOWEEN k*llS (2021) | US Premiere
77 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+309online now  10
Video inside My Man Can't Be a Security Guard No More After This....
181 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+32online now  6
Ted Sarandos: Dave Chappelle 'Content Doesn’t Directly Translate to Real-World..
64 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy