Sep 22 - 1 in 5 Americans are 'Heavy-Drinking' alcohol to cope with COVID

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 weeks ago '05        #1
1536 page views
57 comments

phantomnation  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 87786 87 K  Slaps total: 6735 6 K
Sep 22 - 1 in 5 Americans are 'Heavy-Drinking' alcohol to cope with COVID

*About 17% of respondents reported "heavy drinking" in the past 30 days, according to the survey commissioned by Alkermes, an Ireland-based biopharmaceutical company.

*U.S. dietary guidelines recommend no more than one standard drink a day for women and two for men.

*The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and World Health Organization have said drinking too much alcohol may weaken the body's immune response to COVID-19.

*More than 18 months into the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S., nearly 1 in 5 Americans is consuming an unhealthy amount of alcohol, a new survey suggests.

About 17% of respondents reported "heavy drinking" in the past 30 days, according to the survey conducted by analytics firm The Harris Poll and commissioned by Alkermes, an Ireland-based biopharmaceutical company.

The survey was conducted online from March 30 to April 7 among 6,006 U.S. adults ages 21 and older. Of those, 1,003 adults reported "heavy drinking."

"Heavy drinking" was defined as having had two heavy drinking days in a single week at least twice in the previous 30 days. A "heavy drinking day" was defined as four or more drinks containing alcohol for women and five or more drinks containing alcohol for men.

Dr. Neeraj Gandotra, chief medical officer at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, said the study's findings were "not surprising." Almost 90% of individuals with substance use disorder are not in treatment, and alcohol and drug use typically worsen with isolation, Gandotra said.

Several studies have suggested Americans are buying more alcohol and drinking more frequently during the coronavirus pandemic.

A study by the RAND Corp. last fall found the frequency of alcohol consumption in the U.S. rose 14% compared with before the pandemic. Women, in particular, increased heavy drinking days by 41%, according to the study.

Another study by researchers at the University of Arizona found "dramatic increases in harmful alcohol consumption" over the first six months of the pandemic. Greater alcohol consumption was most a*sociated with job loss due to COVID-19, according to the study.

"While we are still learning how the COVID pandemic is impacting alcohol use, it seems clear that some people are drinking more while others are drinking less. In many studies, increases in consumption during the pandemic were linked to increases in stress," National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Director Dr. George Koob told USA TODAY.

'Gray area' drinking is not a medical diagnosis, but experts say it can still be a problem:What is it and what are the signs?

Stress of world events and anxiety about the future can increase drinking and exacerbate symptoms of alcohol use disorder, as seen in the wake of previous disasters such as 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, Koob wrote in a blog post last year.

As the world continues to battle COVID-19, it's not clear if the trend is continuing.

"Dozens of relatively small survey studies have a*sessed alcohol consumption at various points during the pandemic, but it is unclear from these cross-sectional studies whether patterns of consumption are changing for people as the pandemic drags on," Koob said. "It is entirely possible that levels of consumption continued to increase over time for some people while decreasing for others."

According to the new Harris Poll survey, many respondents who reported heavy drinking said that, over the last 12 months, they experienced negative mental, physical and psychosocial impacts.

Three in 10 said they continued to drink despite it making them feel depressed or anxious or adding to another health problem. About 1 in 4 reported they continued to drink after experiencing a memory blackout. More than one in five 1 in 5 experienced withdrawal symptoms when the effects of alcohol were wearing off. And 23% gave up or cut back on activities that were important or interesting to them in order to drink.

The survey found more than half of respondents who reported heavy drinking were aware of treatment options for alcohol dependence, such as support groups and residential rehabilitation treatment options. But 87% were not undergoing treatment at the time of the survey.

More than half said they were either "very" or "somewhat" motivated to seek treatment for their drinking. Friends and family can play a role in influencing loved ones who drink heavily to seek help, the survey found.

Over half of survey respondents who reported heavy drinking said someone had expressed concern to them about their drinking. Among this group, nearly 4 in 5 said that it was a family member who had expressed concern. Almost half of this group who had sought treatment said that a reason they did so was because their family had expressed concern about their drinking.

Staying Apart, Together: A newsletter about how to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic

"Be honest with yourself if you are making decisions that are not in your best interest," Gandotra said. "You can seek help anonymously or with friends and family who may also be affected by your drinking. Treatment is available and effective. You do not have to struggle alone."

How much alcohol is too much?
The institute on alcohol abuse guidelines advise limiting alcohol consumption to no more than three to four drinks per "occasion." Men should have no more than 14 standard drinks a week; women should have no more than seven.

U.S. dietary guidelines recommend no more than one drink a day for women and two for men. A standard "drink" serving is a 12-ounce beer or hard seltzer with 5% alcohol, a 5-ounce glass of wine with 12% alcohol, or a 1.5-ounce shot of 40% alcohol, or 80 proof, liquor.

People who misuse alcohol have a greater risk of liver disease, heart disease, depression, stroke and stomach bleeding, as well as multiple cancers, according to the institute on alcohol abuse . Pregnant women, people taking medications and those recovering from alcohol use disorder should not be drinking alcohol

The institute on alcohol abuse and World Health Organization have said drinking too much alcohol may weaken the body's immune response to COVID-19.

"Alcohol misuse both activates the immune system, causing inflammation, and interferes with the body’s immune response to viral and bacterial infections," Koob said in the post. "Ultimately, impaired immune system function and an increased susceptibility to respiratory illness could contribute to more severe COVID-19 and greater risk of mortality."

visit this link https://www.usatoday.com/ .. ion-topstories
+4   

best
worst
57 comments

4 weeks ago '20        #2
LuxG1 
Props total: 6120 6 K  Slaps total: 1482 1 K
Legalize cannabis & this wouldn’t be a thing
+9   

4 weeks ago '15        #3
Top Goon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x185
Props total: 151100 151 K  Slaps total: 18610 18 K
Its worlwide really.
+2   

4 weeks ago '17        #4
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 74049 74 K  Slaps total: 5572 5 K
Yep. We got a liquor shortage in Charlotte because reasons.
+6   

4 weeks ago '08        #5
Nut-In-Honeys 
Props total: 21448 21 K  Slaps total: 2290 2 K
 LuxG1 said
Legalize cannabis & this wouldn’t be a thing
Don't matter I'm still gonna Po up

+9   

4 weeks ago '09        #6
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x72
Props total: 239510 239 K  Slaps total: 26789 26 K
why isnt @ ranting about booze
+8   

4 weeks ago '11        #7
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 54104 54 K  Slaps total: 39523 39 K
 messy marv stan said
why isnt @ ranting about booze
because bi*ch a*s n*gga theres programs for alcoholics theres none for weed smokers,because no one wants to admit its bad, but im here to drill it into everyones brains on the daily i promise you that.

4 weeks ago '04        #8
ItAlY2BkLyN 
Props total: 32547 32 K  Slaps total: 8015 8 K
 Nut-In-Honeys said
Don't matter I'm still gonna Po up

awww said
because bi*ch a*s n*gga theres programs for alcoholics theres none for weed smokers,because no one wants to admit its bad, but im here to drill it into everyones brains on the daily i promise you that.
What do you think rehab is for dumbass.

but

@ thinks fiends be suckin' d*ck for that demon demon weed.

Last edited by ItAlY2BkLyN; 09-22-2021 at 12:21 PM..
+11   

4 weeks ago '09        #9
faceoffizhere 
Props total: 14988 14 K  Slaps total: 3986 3 K
 awww said
You never really tell us what makes it bad tho you just say "weed is bad" you gotta come harder than that you know you gotta hand feed peons
+6   

4 weeks ago '20        #10
RockyII 
Props total: 10340 10 K  Slaps total: 1451 1 K
fu*king alcoholics. fu*k alcohol
+5   

4 weeks ago '11        #11
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 54104 54 K  Slaps total: 39523 39 K
 faceoffizhere said
You never really tell us what makes it bad tho you just say "weed is bad" you gotta come harder than that you know you gotta hand feed peons

CHS causes abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting, and the vomiting can result in dehydration. This dehydration can lead to a type of kidney failure that experts refer to as cannabinoid hyperemesis acute renal failure, and in severe cases, it can even result in death.

im here to stop this

4 weeks ago '17        #12
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 182640 182 K  Slaps total: 13238 13 K
Man when covid first hit and we worked from home, my wife turned me into a drinker. The Zoom meeting for work we didn't even care. Almost everybody was sipping on something and we'd go off the rails almost every meeting. We ended up in a s ap session one meeting.
+4   

4 weeks ago '21        #13
Fras 
Props total: 4194 4 K  Slaps total: 4043 4 K
I drink once a week. It used to be zero times a week for a while, and I would just hit a spliff at night time before but...

I guess if I keep it in control it'll be alright. I don't know how people get wasted daily man. My body couldn't take that sh*t. In my heyday I used to drink Friday and Saturday nights...but I've been off that for a long a*s time now.
+3   

4 weeks ago '09        #14
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x72
Props total: 239510 239 K  Slaps total: 26789 26 K
 awww said

im pickin up 1 of them on friday for a friend and you aint gonna do sh*t about it
+2   

4 weeks ago '04        #15
KtodaC 
Props total: 394 394  Slaps total: 130 130
Ive consumed more alcohol then ever during the last 1.5 yr and just kicked Covid in about 5 days with mild symptoms

Alcohol is the vaccine.
+5   

4 weeks ago '18        #16
Juliette DaBlok  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 42968 42 K  Slaps total: 6317 6 K
 awww said

CHS causes abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting, and the vomiting can result in dehydration. This dehydration can lead to a type of kidney failure that experts refer to as cannabinoid hyperemesis acute renal failure, and in severe cases, it can even result in death.

im here to stop this
Yoooo I legit laughed He said smoking weed causes fatal vomiting
+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #17
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 183329 183 K  Slaps total: 10701 10 K
 Juliette DaBlok said
Yoooo I legit laughed He said smoking weed causes fatal vomiting
They need to stop putting ivermectin in their blunts
+3   

4 weeks ago '10        #18
lltreyll 
Props total: 5510 5 K  Slaps total: 1714 1 K
Weak.

4 weeks ago '17        #19
Lazy 
Props total: 26789 26 K  Slaps total: 3517 3 K
Life expectancy in the US has already dropped 1.5 years

Y’all boys bout to lose more years from your life with habits like this
+6   

4 weeks ago '12        #20
CaLis LEGACY 
Props total: 5827 5 K  Slaps total: 779 779
sh*t I did the complete opposite I've been drinking less
+7   

4 weeks ago '17        #21
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 103179 103 K  Slaps total: 30875 30 K
Alcohol free since 2006

Just reefer on this side
+9   

4 weeks ago '04        #22
100percent 
Props total: 345 345  Slaps total: 76 76
 KtodaC said
Ive consumed more alcohol then ever during the last 1.5 yr and just kicked Covid in about 5 days with mild symptoms

Alcohol is the vaccine.
Facts. I had zero symptoms
+1   

4 weeks ago '17        #23
S PHX GOD 
Props total: 52547 52 K  Slaps total: 7414 7 K
 Naga Sadow said
Man when covid first hit and we worked from home, my wife turned me into a drinker. The Zoom meeting for work we didn't even care. Almost everybody was sipping on something and we'd go off the rails almost every meeting. We ended up in a s ap session one meeting.
nobody can make you a drinker..

...she run that crib
+4   

4 weeks ago '04        #24
bibbyboi 
Props total: 17558 17 K  Slaps total: 2492 2 K
What were the numbers prepandemic? My bad if it's in there, I'm on my phone and just skimmed it.
+1   

4 weeks ago '11        #25
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27385 27 K  Slaps total: 1136 1 K
Alcohol drops your immune system like a mf
+7   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+124online now  31
These Historical figures brought so much joy to the black community
327 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  19
Video inside Lmao….26 y/o still living at home trying to manifest a million dollar h..
279 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+200online now  17
Image(s) inside Finished my C8 Corvette Build
83 comments
2 days ago
@rides
most viewed right now
+283online now  16
Can’t believe Floyd actually did this to Canelo. 😵😵&#..
252 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy