The Many Saints of Newark is getting bad reviews

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
19 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '07        #1
5898 page views
176 comments

iswerve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20655 20 K  Slaps total: 2776 2 K
The Many Saints of Newark is getting bad reviews

David Chase's slick prequel to his hit HBO series is a massive letdown

Those jonesing for a Corleonesque rise to power will be disappointed to learn that Tony plays a rather minor role in The Many Saints Of Newark. In fact, for a solid hour, he’s basically Jake Lloyd-sized: a boy (William Ludwig) watching from the sidelines of a criminal empire in late 1960s Jersey. In so much as this rather decentered epic has a central figure, it’s d*ckie Moltisanti (Alessandro Nivola), Tony’s mobster uncle and father of perennial Sopranos fu*k-up Christopher.

The movie brings us into its past-tense world—the legendary yesterday only alluded to on the show—through what proves to be both its first and its most eccentric choice: Michael Imperioli reprises the role of Christopher to narrate the story from beyond the grave.

Chase, who co-wrote the script with an alum of his writers’ room, Lawrence Konner, flattens the world of The Sopranos into a generic, vaguely Scorsesian crime epic. At times, the film suggests the shapelessness of a biopic, as though it were beholden to some historical record of facts and figures. Not helping matters is the presence of Alan Taylor, another Sopranos veteran, in the director’s chair.

Two decades ago, The Sopranos proved you could create something truly novelistic on the small screen, helping usher in a supposed golden age of TV by using the freedoms of the format to tell sprawling stories—and develop characters—in a manner not possible on the big screen. It was among the first shows to have armchair pundits wondering if premium cable was the new home of the serious, adult American drama Hollywood had abandoned.

The irony of The Many Saints Of Newark is that it seems to make that case all over again: While The Sopranos demonstrated that the tropes of gangster cinema could be reinvigorated through serialized storytelling, filtering them back into a two-hour format leaves only… the tropes.

The Many Saints Of Newark has a bad case of prequelitis, filling in backstory perhaps better left implied. The cast of characters is a Muppet Babies parade of Sopranos regulars, some more elegantly de-aged than others: While Corey Stoll offers a nicely organic read on the fledgling testiness and insecurity of Uncle Junior, the normally reliable John Magaro—who made his breakthrough in Chase’s first feature, the similarly years-spanning Not Fade Away—does a sketch-comedy caricature of a young Silvio, broadly approximating Steven Van Zandt’s Al-Pacino-by-way-of-Bela-Lugosi mannerisms.

And then there’s Vera Farmiga as Tony’s mother, Livia. In an amusingly Oedipal touch, she looks and sounds just like Edie Falco. Yet Saints borders on revisionist in the way it fails to match any understanding of the domineering shadow she supposedly cast over Tony’s childhood. The Sopranos spent multiple years suggesting a Freudian foundation of family dysfunction. You look at Farmiga’s Livia and see little of the conniving manipulation of Nancy Marchand’s iconic villain.

What the film critically lacks is a black hole of caustic, complex personality to match the one the late James Gandolfini lent The Sopranos. d*ckie, this looming figure in Tony’s life, is a paper napkin sketch, defined almost solely by a cycle of explosive anger and the clumsy, guilt-stricken attempts at atonement that follow. Early into the movie, d*ckie commits an act of shocking violence in a car—a scene that echoes outward in disturbingly telling ways to a later, significant choice Tony makes in The Sopranos.

The Many Saints Of Newark ends at the exact moment that it’s getting interesting; by its inconclusive conclusion, you realize that Chase and his HBO financiers are reaching for a new form of serialization, teasing a transformation that only an inevitable sequel can provide. Let’s just say that as abrupt non-endings go, it has nothing on the hard cut to black that once closed this franchise.

Looks like a sequel is incoming

visit this link https://www.avclub.com/th .. nsi-1847715847

best
worst
176 comments

2 months ago '18        #2
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 70161 70 K  Slaps total: 6012 6 K
Hopefully it does well anyways because i need more sopranos world content. sh*t give me a movie about that Animal Blundetto getting caught.
+21   

2 months ago '21        #3
OG Sean 
Props total: 808 808  Slaps total: 547 547
came in just to post that i didn't read because i'm trying to dodge spoilers like

anyone wanna tell me if there's any spoilers in this?
+14   

2 months ago '16        #4
Ravishing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20029 20 K  Slaps total: 1964 1 K
Just saw screenings opening up for this joint. I hope it’s good. Still going to watch of course
+1   

2 months ago '20        #5
Gmoney419 
Props total: 5723 5 K  Slaps total: 795 795
I mean Tony was never supposed to be the focus of the movie. I can't imagine anybody interested in the movie didn't know from the time it was announced that d*cky was the main character.

I'm gonna see it but it went from a theater experience to HBO max off that 2nd trailer. It just don't look how I was expecting
+9   

2 months ago '04        #6
ghengis 
Props total: 14500 14 K  Slaps total: 424 424
It seems like the author of the article is disappointed that it's not more of a Tony Soprano prequel. Chase has said from jump it's not a prequel about Tony. This article needs to go all the way the fu*k outta here. I'm still watching Day 1.

+20   

2 months ago '04        #7
JFamis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 12984 12 K  Slaps total: 2159 2 K
Y’all need to quit jumping the gun on threads like this

+13   

2 months ago '18        #8
MrPersonality  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9527 9 K  Slaps total: 2171 2 K
Who cares about Italian gangsters movies ? Or even cartel shows?

Y’all love fantasizing about people that don’t fu*k wit y’all. People that hate y’all even

2 months ago '08        #9
buck_marley 
Props total: 1203 1 K  Slaps total: 347 347
Yeah if it does well, im sure David Chase says hes open to making more movies in the Sopranos world.

2 months ago '17        #10
S550  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 8571 8 K  Slaps total: 3536 3 K
 MrPersonality said

Y’all love fantasizing about people that don’t fu*k wit y’all. People that hate y’all even
Don’t mean sh*t same reason why all these rappers still wearing Italian clothes like Gucci, fendi , feragomo , Louie riding around in Porsches all these Italian and white euro brands that they have no culture attachment too

Black people wanna be Italians so bad

2 months ago '18        #11
MrPersonality  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9527 9 K  Slaps total: 2171 2 K
 S550 said
Don’t mean sh*t same reason why all these rappers still wearing Italian clothes like Gucci, fendi , feragomo , Louie riding around in Porsches all these Italian and white euro brands that they have no culture attachment too

Black people wanna be Italians so bad
That sh*t corny. We humans. You can cop anything you want. But if you only coppin’ Italian, you should be ashamed

2 months ago '20        #12
ProfessionalDon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 28557 28 K  Slaps total: 5037 5 K
It kind of looks trash
+2   

2 months ago '20        #13
GingerBreadMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 18217 18 K  Slaps total: 9709 9 K
italaians are black

2 months ago '14        #14
freezetag 
Props total: 23059 23 K  Slaps total: 1958 1 K
Figured. Show is the goat, ain’t no way in hell it would live up to it.

If it was a random movie I bet it would do better.

Still gonna watch.
+3   

2 months ago '04        #15
patt24 
Props total: 13075 13 K  Slaps total: 1464 1 K
the title tells you what its about...

Moltisanti is Many Saints in Italian
+11   

2 months ago '11        #16
stashsoprano 
Props total: 8968 8 K  Slaps total: 986 986
day 1, back to back.

+1   

2 months ago '21        #17
Crow42 
Props total: 1501 1 K  Slaps total: 594 594
Lmao
Could have told people this
Tbh
The sopranos are overrated as fu*k
Never understood the hype about it
The wire was miles ahead of it
sh*t
Even OZ sh*ts on the sopranos

2 months ago '14        #18
iamlegend24 
Props total: 17580 17 K  Slaps total: 1696 1 K
 MrPersonality said

I think people just like crime stories in general no matter what the notion that these people (all of em) don't like black people? Is it cuz the movies show they don't like people?
+1   

2 months ago '16        #19
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 52558 52 K  Slaps total: 3020 3 K
 Crow42 said
Lmao
Could have told people this
Tbh
The sopranos are overrated as fu*k
Never understood the hype about it
The wire was miles ahead of it
sh*t
Even OZ sh*ts on the sopranos
oz fu*king sucked worse than your opinion…..
+3   

2 months ago '04        #20
skillahmang 
Props total: 59360 59 K  Slaps total: 12070 12 K
 DUCEDUCE said
Hopefully it does well anyways because i need more sopranos world content. sh*t give me a movie about that Animal Blundetto getting caught.
Sopranoverse >>

People clown 50 but shout to him Powerversing his show.

And its working.
+1   

2 months ago '17        #21
HH080 
Props total: 4512 4 K  Slaps total: 314 314
 smokeytheblunt2 said
oz fu*king sucked worse than your opinion…..
Lol I was thinking about the times OZ jumped the shark. Especially with the supernatural sh*t
+2   

2 months ago '14        #22
Sphynx 
Props total: 102443 102 K  Slaps total: 26879 26 K
You can't create the magic in a bottle that was "The Sopranos"

It created the template for what we consider "prestige TV" currently

That said, being the first, and most innovative of its time doesn't mean 20+ years later that it still translates. So many shows have come after and raised the bar/stakes.

If "The Sopranos" came out in 2021 after all the prestige TV we've come to be accustom to, would it still rock the cultural landscape the way it did in 1999? That's the question they should be asking when putting together these sequels/prequels/reboots/re-imaginings
+6   

2 months ago '08        #23
SlickJ101 
Props total: 16434 16 K  Slaps total: 3884 3 K
Trailer looked bad and Chase didn't direct it so not at all surprising.

2 months ago '16        #24
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 52558 52 K  Slaps total: 3020 3 K
 HH080 said
Lol I was thinking about the times OZ jumped the shark. Especially with the supernatural sh*t
i forgot all about that. the malocchio was even part of a storyline……..

i mostly remember older friends and a few family members who had been in the system making fun of it constantly for being so cartoony…….
+2   

2 months ago '18        #25
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 70161 70 K  Slaps total: 6012 6 K
 skillahmang said
Sopranoverse >>

People clown 50 but shout to him Powerversing his show.

And its working.
I roll with it. Honestly I like the power universe alot its not deep but its worth my time.

Sopranos verse we had so much lore to go back to. Limited series Carmine Sr. sh*t anything.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+102online now  13
Image(s) inside Picture of black hole released . Space is spooky
278 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+23online now  13
The Island Boys Get Boo'd While Performing At Club Liv In Miami
125 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+117online now  11
Despite everything, they made the time to show homie love…
107 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+34online now  10
Video inside You missed Mana(Decentraland) and Sand(The sandbox), now what?
58 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy