As much as I love Hawaii there some things were missing

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+27  81
49 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section Good eats

4 weeks ago '19        #1
3617 page views
77 comments

aaf192020  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 47330 47 K  Slaps total: 4732 4 K
As much as I love Hawaii there some things were missing

Pic: Smoked ribs, smoked Brussel sprouts, "mac's cheese", brisket, and smoked turkey tail.

I'm still semi in the culinary industry here so I'd like to remain anonymous. But I gotta say the Caribbean, Indian, and accessible Black BBQ here is fxcking terrible.

I've been searching high and low for those comfort foods mentioned above that I grew up with. It just doesn't exist on this island the like it should.

I ordered, from the pics, another BBQ place thinking maybe this is the one. 4.7 score on Google. Shxt was mad regular. All smoke no charcoal.

There was one place that did it right but Anty got old and closed it down.

There's nowhere I can just go and order the comfort food I've been relegated to making on my own and it sucks.

Low key I'm just thinking about hiring some people and filling this void myself. I just don't want to have to deal with people and their shxt anymore. I've found a good niche already but I kinda want to do more in my city food wise again. Only problem is I think the stress of running an outfit might k*ll me.
My tolerance for bullshxt has always been low but my blood pressure has always been high.

Maybe I just needed to rant.

Don't expect Hawaii to have the food you enjoy outside of Asian, pizzas, and sandwiches.

Last edited by aaf192020; 09-19-2021 at 04:12 AM..
+34   

best
worst
77 comments

4 weeks ago '18        #2
STEE 
Props total: 845 845  Slaps total: 235 235
Was easily the worst part of Hawaii (the food)
+16   

4 weeks ago '16        #3
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 40355 40 K  Slaps total: 4685 4 K
So you saying I need to smuggle season-all on the plane ride over?
+8   

4 weeks ago '19        #4
aaf192020  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 STEE said
Was easily the worst part of Hawaii (the food)
I enjoy real homemade Polynesian food and Thai food but Japanese food is trash. The classic American restaurants are alright but it gets boring.

We had a Jamaican joint but it was kinda azz even though it was highly rated. Great customer service though.

I don't eat white rice anymore so my options are limited.

I used to be a head chef so I can cook anything but sometimes you just want to relax and have other people cook the food you crave. By the time I get done making a beef patty I don't enjoy it like I would if I could've just ordered it.
+21   

4 weeks ago '13        #5
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 102547 102 K  Slaps total: 41882 41 K
fu*k all that...

Fam dont tell me u sleeping on the korean bbq

+12   

4 weeks ago '16        #6
BobbiHeadRagTop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 87015 87 K  Slaps total: 4160 4 K
Damn you can’t even get down on that moco loco pause with out the rice plair
+7   

4 weeks ago '13        #7
vandalizm 
Props total: 14192 14 K  Slaps total: 1753 1 K
 aaf192020 said
Pic: Smoked ribs, smoked Brussel sprouts, "mac's cheese", brisket, and smoked turkey tail.

I'm still semi in the culinary industry here so I'd like to remain anonymous. But I gotta say the Caribbean, Indian, and accessible Black BBQ here is fxcking terrible.

I've been searching high and low for those comfort foods mentioned above that I grew up with. It just doesn't exist on this island the like it should.

I ordered, from the pics, another BBQ place thinking maybe this is the one. 4.7 score on Google. Shxt was mad regular. All smoke no charcoal.

There's nowhere I can just go and order the comfort food I've been relegated to making on my own and it sucks.

Low key I'm just thinking about hiring some people and filling this void myself. I just don't want to have to deal with people and their shxt anymore. I've found a good niche already but I kinda want to do more in my city food wise again. Only problem is I think the stress of running an outfit might k*ll me.
My tolerance for bullshxt has always been low but my blood pressure has always been high.

Don't expect Hawaii to have the food you enjoy outside of Asian, pizzas, and sandwiches.
Start one I can help you with some marketing

Where I am from we have a regional style bbq I want to open up a lil spot out here bc there is absolutely nothing like it here in LA - people even use the name but it’s nothing like what it’s supposed to be it’s almost disrespectful

But anyways I’m in the same vein as you as far as execution and stress (I run another business day to day)

I was thinking I can eliminate as much of that stress as possible by making it limited hours and only say 200 plates / day - get here and get yours before it’s out.

Go super heavy on the social media marketing, come up with something that is super instagram worthy (think John Taffer bar rescue with his signature drink per location) and just market the fu*k out of the limited-ness of it.

I think having a set # of plates could limit the amount of stress of the operation
+9   

4 weeks ago '19        #8
 Blunted Sultan said
So you saying I need to smuggle season-all on the plane ride over?
Nah we got all the ingredients just very few restaurants. There's some Asians on IG that make decent soul food but their shxt goes fast.

If you do come Hughley's is the best soul food here but it's far from Honolulu. A little expensive but they gotta monopoly so they can charge what they want. I was gonna work there but they pay slave wages. Black owned though.
+4   

4 weeks ago '19        #9
 BobbiHeadRagTop said
Damn you can’t even get down on that moco loco pause with out the rice plair
Loco Moco is for construction workers brah.

Regular people don't need all those calories lol.
+4   

4 weeks ago '19        #10
 THEDONN said
fu*k all that...

Fam dont tell me u sleeping on the korean bbq

The Koreans get down but the sides be lacking. Only so much kimchee you can eat before it gets old. They got some good fried chicken too! They see my Black azz walk in and just start frying chicken like they know me...... but they right.
+18   

4 weeks ago '13        #11
 aaf192020 said
The Koreans get down but the sides be lacking. Only so much kimchee you can eat before it gets old. They got some good fried chicken too! They see my Black azz walk in and just start frying chicken like they know me...... but they right.
U sleeping on the macaroni salad fam

Get that side next time

+1   

4 weeks ago '16        #12
BobbiHeadRagTop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 87015 87 K  Slaps total: 4160 4 K
 aaf192020 said

That sh*t is fire. Giva fu*k who gets to eat it more socially
+5   

4 weeks ago '19        #13
 vandalizm said
Start one I can help you with some marketing

Where I am from we have a regional style bbq I want to open up a lil spot out here bc there is absolutely nothing like it here in LA - people even use the name but it’s nothing like what it’s supposed to be it’s almost disrespectful

But anyways I’m in the same vein as you as far as execution and stress (I run another business day to day)

I was thinking I can eliminate as much of that stress as possible by making it limited hours and only say 200 plates / day - get here and get yours before it’s out.

Go super heavy on the social media marketing, come up with something that is super instagram worthy (think John Taffer bar rescue with his signature drink per location) and just market the fu*k out of the limited-ness of it.

I think having a set # of plates could limit the amount of stress of the operation
They got a few Asians down here doing soul food fusion on IG already. If I could handle the stress I'd like a brick and mortar business for tax purposes.

I got out the culinary game because I was drinking too much so now I deliver fresh inventory from independent farms. It's just me but I make a decent profit and I enjoy taking my youngest with me everyday to the farms and its peaceful.
+5   

4 weeks ago '17        #14
Tupacpatel 
Props total: 4299 4 K  Slaps total: 1558 1 K
I thought the food was delicious! I saw theblack owned soul food spot too. I thought who goes to Hawaii to eat mainland food?

+13   

4 weeks ago '19        #15
 THEDONN said
U sleeping on the macaroni salad fam

Get that side next time

If I see another Mac salad I might lose it. I been here 12 years this past summer. I've tried everything there is to try here from poke to dinaguan. We just lack variety.
+6   

4 weeks ago '17        #16
Tupacpatel 
Props total: 4299 4 K  Slaps total: 1558 1 K
 aaf192020 said

I didn't think it was that filling.

4 weeks ago '13        #17
 aaf192020 said
If I see another Mac salad I might lose it. I been here 12 years this past summer. I've tried everything there is to try here from poke to dinaguan. We just lack variety.
Thats my hometown, b

THere will be no Island slander

+4   

4 weeks ago '19        #18
 BobbiHeadRagTop said
That sh*t is fire. Giva fu*k who gets to eat it more socially
It was fire the first few dozen times. Now I'm good. My wife don't even order that shxt and she's from here.
+1   

4 weeks ago '19        #19
 Tupacpatel said
I thought the food was delicious! I saw theblack owned soul food spot too. I thought who goes to Hawaii to eat mainland food?

I understand what you mean but I'm not a tourist. All the pics you posted are fire. The food is good don't get me wrong. It's just sometimes you want more variety or more competitive restaurantiers because the ones that do serve a niche get lazy and serve a lower quality product because there's no competition.
+7   

4 weeks ago '19        #20
 Tupacpatel said
I didn't think it was that filling.
You went to the wrong place. Barbecue Kai in Waianae will serve you a loco moco plate that feels like its 5 lbs for under $10.
+2   

4 weeks ago '19        #21
 THEDONN said
Thats my hometown, b

THere will be no Island slander

You from where? Town?

4 weeks ago '13        #22
 aaf192020 said
You from where? Town?
Honolulu Hawaii

Oahu Island

+5   

4 weeks ago '05        #23
Rockstar718 
Props total: 34571 34 K  Slaps total: 2905 2 K
 aaf192020 said

Yo DM me if you are interested in a venture out there.

I said pretty much the same thing after I visited and I'm working on something.
+4   

4 weeks ago '10        #24
eightytyson06 
Props total: 21448 21 K  Slaps total: 1375 1 K
im a bbqer whats them rib and brisket prices looking like down there per pound
+2   

4 weeks ago '06        #25
authenic 
Props total: 4948 4 K  Slaps total: 1346 1 K
I agree the food in Hawaii and Guam both expensive and trash considering the cost..the chipotle spinoff. near the zoo in Waikiki was pretty good tho
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+165online now  32
Image(s) inside Finished my C8 Corvette Build
63 comments
21 hours ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  27
Anyone order the Apple Watch 7?
103 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+79online now  25
Remember how badly Coral used to put Mike The Miz in check on Real World??
244 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  12
Somebody Gotta Stop Virgil
138 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy