Sep 18 - Texans in NYC Carmine’s assault were ‘racially profiled’ says lawyer

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+51  84
107 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '04        #1
996 page views
30 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x49
Props total: 18625 18 K  Slaps total: 1981 1 K
Sep 18 - Texans in NYC Carmine’s a*sault were ‘racially profiled’ says lawyer

Three Texas tourists accused of attacking a hostess at an Upper West Side restaurant over COVID-19 vaccination cards claim they were racially profiled and demand the firing of the hostess, who they say was the aggressor.

“This hostess clearly has some anger management issues and unfortunately her aggression and her violence led to something that three Black women are being punished for,” Texas civil rights lawyer Justin Moore said of the incident Thursday afternoon at Carmine’s.

A lawyer for Carmine’s unequivocally denied the Texas womens’ accusation.

“Any claim that they were racially profiled is a complete fabrication, disingenuous, and outright irresponsible,” said the lawyer, Carolyn Richmond.

Police say the three women attacked a 24-year-old Asian hostess at Carmine’s, on Broadway near W. 91st St.

Moore claims the three women — identified as Kaeita Rankin, 44, her niece Tyonnie Keshay Rankin, both of Humble, Texas, and Sally Rechelle Lewis, 49, of Houston — had already shown their cards and had been seated when two other members of their party, both men, said they had left their vaccination cards at their hotel.

That sparked an argument, and the hostess was rude to the three women, said Moore.

When the women decided to leave, the N-word was dropped and the hostess “lunged” at Rankin, sparking the f*ght, the lawyer said.

Cellphone video of the clash shows that as the Texas tourists struggled with the hostess, they almost knocked over the restaurant’s hostess podium. The video shows a man from Rankin’s party and a restaurant staffer carrying one of the tourists from the scene, said a source.

“The injuries that (the hostess) received were incurred by her being physically restrained by other staff at Carmine’s after she was called out for racial discrimination, which she took offense to,” Moore said.

The Texas trio were given desk appearance tickets for a*sault and released. They’re expected to answer the charges in Manhattan Criminal Court on Oct. 1.

“The hostess is apparently poorly trained to deal with patrons and has obvious issues with black women and has a disregard for women of color,” said Moore.

The hostess was treated at the scene but was not badly hurt, Carmine’s owner Jeffrey Bank told the Daily News Friday.

“She’s extremely shook up,” Bank said. “It’s inexcusable, ridiculous.”

Moore identified Kaeita Rankin as Texas businesswoman with a doctorate in education. Lewis is her a*sistant, according to Hawk Newsome, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter NY, who is helping the Rankin family.

“(They) were racially profiled at Carmine’s in Manhattan,” said Newsome, who plans to hold a protest in front of Carmine’s Monday. “The police showed up and arrested Dr. Rankin instead of arresting the person who a*saulted her and those she was with.”

Rankin and her party have returned to Texas, where she’s encouraged her community to get vaccinated, Moore said.

“The fact that people are using the vaccination IDs as a proxy to justify the hostess’ bad acts just adds insult to injury and does a disservice to the policy,” Moore said.

A call to Rankin was not returned.

The city started enforcing a vaccine mandate this week requiring people to prove they’ve been jabbed in order to participate in a number of indoor activities in the five boroughs. That includes eating at restaurants, drinking in bars, working out, going bowling and catching a movie or show.

Noncompliant businesses get a $1,000 fine for the first offense, $2,000 for a second violation and $5,000 per incident for subsequent violations. City officials said the mandate will help keep New Yorkers safe and keep pandemic anxiety at bay.

Attempts to reach the hostess for comment on Moore’s claims were not successful Saturday.

visit this link https://www.nydailynews.c .. toy-story.html

@illathruz the follow up…..
+2   

best
worst
30 comments

1 month ago '06        #2
illathruz 
Props total: 11173 11 K  Slaps total: 2248 2 K
 jlandryst said
@ the follow up…..

Interesting development! Good thing I wasn't too much of a hard a*s when you shouted me out
+1   

4 weeks ago '16        #3
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x50
Props total: 110940 110 K  Slaps total: 21824 21 K
hate crime
+3   

4 weeks ago '06        #4
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 35126 35 K  Slaps total: 4944 4 K
That story sounds made up as fu*k
+17   

4 weeks ago '20        #5
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 20883 20 K  Slaps total: 1393 1 K
I really wouldn't be surprised if there was some racism tied into this.

People need to k*ll the facade that racism is nonexistent in blue areas.
+6   

4 weeks ago '10        #6
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 87724 87 K  Slaps total: 19368 19 K
Just had this conversation yesterday.

When that happened the first thing I said was “it wasn’t because of vaccination cards”

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed it, but the attitudes and professionalism of people working in the server industry is at an all time low. I know it’s hard to get people to work these days but the last 3 servers and restaurants I’ve been to the service was subpar, they really act like you’re bothering them to be there.
+5   

4 weeks ago '20        #7
GingerBreadMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 17678 17 K  Slaps total: 9227 9 K
the left eating their own

love to see it
+1   

4 weeks ago '04        #8
jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x49 OP
 illathruz said

Interesting development! Good thing I wasn't too much of a hard a*s when you shouted me out
Notice how when you put anti-vaxx in the title it brought out all the usual suspects but now they avoiding the thread like the plague

4 weeks ago '20        #9
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 17543 17 K  Slaps total: 30501 30 K
Duh

These Wuhan policies are discrimination.

Who quickly y’all forget before them injections were a thing and them mask mandates in NYC who the police was really hassling.

And now Karens on power trips over a Wuhan injection card?

4 weeks ago '04        #10
 foshoVoodoo said
hate crime
 bigkilla said
That story sounds made up as fu*k
 Nautilus O said

When that happened the first thing I said was “it wasn’t because of vaccination cards”

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed it, but the attitudes and professionalism of people working in the server industry is at an all time low. I know it’s hard to get people to work these days but the last 3 servers and restaurants I’ve been to the service was subpar, they really act like you’re bothering them to be there.
 LordGimmeASign said
I really wouldn't be surprised if there was some racism tied into this.

People need to k*ll the facade that racism is nonexistent in blue areas.
I don’t think it was racism involved. I think it was more they probably didn’t like the way they was asked to leave after the men in the party didn’t have their vaccination cards.
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #11
 BuiltForThis said
Duh

These Wuhan policies are discrimination.

Who quickly y’all forget before them injections were a thing and them mask mandates in NYC who the police was really hassling.

And now Karens on power trips over a Wuhan injection card?

Here we go with the bullsh*t…..

4 weeks ago '20        #12
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 17543 17 K  Slaps total: 30501 30 K
 jlandryst said

4 weeks ago '10        #13
Trilluminati GA 
Props total: 38639 38 K  Slaps total: 1573 1 K
Wheres the video?
+1   

4 weeks ago '10        #14
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 87724 87 K  Slaps total: 19368 19 K
 jlandryst said
I don’t think it was racism involved. I think it was more they probably didn’t like the way they was asked to leave after the men in the party didn’t have their vaccination cards.
Agreed

especially the way people talk in NY
+1   

4 weeks ago '06        #15
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 35126 35 K  Slaps total: 4944 4 K
 jlandryst said
That’s what I’m a*suming.. for the fact they brought in BLM NY which from what I remember isn’t even a part of the BLM movement and just ripped off their name and supposedly they’re just race hustlers from what I remember this story sounds all sorts of fake.

4 weeks ago '20        #16
OhSoCalbo 
Props total: 7526 7 K  Slaps total: 4476 4 K
We’re they black? Did/do they wear weave/wigs

We will one day have that talk. That sh*t is detrimental

4 weeks ago '06        #17
illathruz 
 jlandryst said
Notice how when you put anti-vaxx in the title it brought out all the usual suspects but now they avoiding the thread like the plague
 jlandryst said
The footage reviewed by The Times does not include sound, but it suggests tension was already brewing between the hostess and the patrons before the melee began.

In the footage, after the two men were denied entry, a server, wearing a white apron, comes out and talks to the hostess, making hand gestures as if explaining something. Then, footage shows the party of six leaving the restaurant. The hostess leans forward and says something, and the server pulls her back with her arms around her shoulder and gives it a tap, possibly to prevent her from engaging with them.

One of the women, Dr. Rankin, says something to the hostess, pointing a finger at her before getting into what appears to be a verbal dispute with other restaurant staff members, shaking her head. She and the others are led away by another employee, who is Black. Moments later, the party is led back inside the restaurant by its manager. The party crosses paths with the hostess who exits the restaurant.

Footage from inside the hallway shows the hostess brushing past the women as she exits, at which point the women appear to do a double take before pursuing her out the door. It is not clear what occurred in that moment or what might have motivated them to follow her.

Footage from outside the restaurant shows the hostess coming out. Seconds later, one of the patrons, who is wearing glasses, goes up to her from behind, speaks into her ear before shoving her and pulling at her collar. The hostess pushes back and claws back while others try to break them apart.

The melee moves off camera, and one of the attackers is hauled away by one of the servers and one of the men who wasn’t allowed in, while staff pull the hostess away, trying to calm her down.

----

The partial story nature of this kind of makes you question why the reporting has been so piecemeal. If they just put out all the facts, or not report on it, it'd probably be better right. I realize that's not reality, but I agree with what you're saying here 100%
+2   

4 weeks ago '06        #18
illathruz 
 OhSoCalbo said
We’re they black? Did/do they wear weave/wigs

We will one day have that talk. That sh*t is detrimental
Why is it detrimental to wear a wig or a weave? Why do we have to wait until one day to have that talk? Hasn't that talk already occurred?
+2   

4 weeks ago '20        #19
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 20883 20 K  Slaps total: 1393 1 K
 Nautilus O said

Nah I've been peeped. People are bold with the unprofessionalism these days.
+2   

4 weeks ago '04        #20
 illathruz said
The footage reviewed by The Times does not include sound, but it suggests tension was already brewing between the hostess and the patrons before the melee began.

In the footage, after the two men were denied entry, a server, wearing a white apron, comes out and talks to the hostess, making hand gestures as if explaining something. Then, footage shows the party of six leaving the restaurant. The hostess leans forward and says something, and the server pulls her back with her arms around her shoulder and gives it a tap, possibly to prevent her from engaging with them.

One of the women, Dr. Rankin, says something to the hostess, pointing a finger at her before getting into what appears to be a verbal dispute with other restaurant staff members, shaking her head. She and the others are led away by another employee, who is Black. Moments later, the party is led back inside the restaurant by its manager. The party crosses paths with the hostess who exits the restaurant.

Footage from inside the hallway shows the hostess brushing past the women as she exits, at which point the women appear to do a double take before pursuing her out the door. It is not clear what occurred in that moment or what might have motivated them to follow her.

Footage from outside the restaurant shows the hostess coming out. Seconds later, one of the patrons, who is wearing glasses, goes up to her from behind, speaks into her ear before shoving her and pulling at her collar. The hostess pushes back and claws back while others try to break them apart.

The melee moves off camera, and one of the attackers is hauled away by one of the servers and one of the men who wasn’t allowed in, while staff pull the hostess away, trying to calm her down.

----

The partial story nature of this kind of makes you question why the reporting has been so piecemeal. If they just put out all the facts, or not report on it, it'd probably be better right. I realize that's not reality, but I agree with what you're saying here 100%

From what here sounds like they were the aggressors. If she was walking away and they followed her outside. And in here it don’t say she lunged at them as they claimed in their stories. Like I said they probably was talking smack to the hostess and she talked back and they didn’t like what she said because I’m sure if she said the N-word somebody other than them would have been came out and said they heard it. And on another note I have been to all three Carmine’s one in Times Square, one on 91st and the one in Atlantic City, have had nothing but excellent service and good food.
+2   

4 weeks ago '19        #21
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 5014 5 K  Slaps total: 311 311
I believe the Black women
+1   

4 weeks ago '19        #22
Stacksonem  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4335 4 K  Slaps total: 266 266
 jlandryst said
From what here sounds like they were the aggressors. If she was walking away and they followed her outside. And in here it don’t say she lunged at them as they claimed in their stories. Like I said they probably was talking smack to the hostess and she talked back and they didn’t like what she said because I’m sure if she said the N-word somebody other than them would have been came out and said they heard it. And on another note I have been to all three Carmine’s one in Times Square, one on 91st and the one in Atlantic City, have had nothing but excellent service and good food.
Been to carmines plenty of times over the last 10 years, especially the 91st location. Never had any issues or felt like they didn’t wants us there. Something went left in this situation.
+1   

4 weeks ago '04        #23
datboy|e 
Props total: 18279 18 K  Slaps total: 6156 6 K

4 weeks ago '06        #24
illathruz 
 jlandryst said

Carmine's having good food? I guess that's where we're going to have to disagree because I don't eat a*s my n*gga

4 weeks ago '20        #25
CRKmarrss 
Props total: 216 216  Slaps total: 54 54
 jlandryst said
Exactly, now they scared to face charges and throw the race card. I seen it too many times.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  29
Article inside Btc 100k++ coming
153 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+31online now  23
Y'all Called It, Shuri is Definitely Not Black Panther Now
179 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+48online now  18
Image(s) inside For the BMF watchers on BX , Apparently "Lamar" Is based on OG Layton ..
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  11
Hassan Campbell Responds To FBG Ducks Mother...."Duck Is Burning In Hell Right..
183 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy