Just watched Dune Part One

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x4   |  3 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 month ago '10        #1
3698 page views
70 comments

Spartan 119 
Props total: 2777 2 K  Slaps total: 175 175
Just watched Dune Part One

First off, for the fans of the book. The movie captures the aesthetic beyond your imagination.. I was seeing sh*t I visualised as a youngin.. It was an amazing experience in Imax 3D..

For the people that haven't read the books,, the movie has minimal use of exposition and tries to explain the intricacies of the dune lore in a cinematic way..

Dennis Villeneuve has the vision bruh, the guy doesn't miss.
Blade runner was a test drive, this guys gonna create his legacy with the dune series

+51   

best
worst
70 comments

1 month ago '16        #2
Ghostface Killa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28145 28 K  Slaps total: 5021 5 K
Yo how you see it already?

Me and Wifey been geeked to watch this one
+14   

1 month ago '04        #3
J_Rhyme 
Props total: 14 14  Slaps total: 5 5
I have faith in the director
+8   

1 month ago '10        #4
Spartan 119  OP
Props total: 2777 2 K  Slaps total: 175 175
 Ghostface k*lla said

Im in The Netherlands bruh

Bought the midnight viewing, bi*ch was packed

Minus the covid regs tho lol
+34   

1 month ago '14        #5
DavidAames  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28989 28 K  Slaps total: 1247 1 K
Never read the book but saw a documentary of it that was recommended on this site.

Definitely hyped to see this…
+7   

1 month ago '07        #6
TH35 
Props total: 39011 39 K  Slaps total: 4212 4 K
Does the title card say part one? I hope it makes enough for part two. He may have to do one for them, to make a second one.

1 month ago '20        #7
RTJ 
Props total: 13816 13 K  Slaps total: 1039 1 K
I'll probably like this for the same reason I liked mad max, heavy focus on the visual storytelling by a great director
+7   

1 month ago '10        #8
sofreshgfx 
Props total: 626 626  Slaps total: 96 96
im going in on this movie not knowing anything about the series so hope its as good as they say
+12   

1 month ago '16        #9
mobchip 
Props total: 10472 10 K  Slaps total: 1341 1 K
I could see it on Saturday in IMAX if I was a part of the industry. I have to wait until the theatrical release.

1 month ago '05        #10
therealmtg 
Props total: 361 361  Slaps total: 40 40
Happy to see an out and out positive review seems like all I was reading was mixed. Also did you already know it was part one before watching I heard in early screenings some people didn’t know and kind of messed the movie up for them.
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '16        #11
AfroBucks88  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 94767 94 K  Slaps total: 3206 3 K
 sofreshgfx said
im going in on this movie not knowing anything about the series so hope its as good as they say
same here hope its good

1 month ago '05        #12
HARBINGER  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25769 25 K  Slaps total: 8516 8 K
should I watch the original?
+2   

1 month ago '20        #13
silversatin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 5022 5 K  Slaps total: 1706 1 K
 Spartan 119 said
First off, for the fans of the book. The movie captures the aesthetic beyond your imagination.. I was seeing sh*t I visualised as a youngin.. It was an amazing experience in Imax 3D..

For the people that haven't read the books,, the movie has minimal use of exposition and tries to explain the intricacies of the dune lore in a cinematic way..

Blade runner was a test drive, this guys gonna create his legacy with the dune series

what's so special about this movie i keep seeing people talk about the original, is it cyberpunk ?
+1   

1 month ago '05        #14
nukchristo 
Props total: 977 977  Slaps total: 273 273
 Spartan 119 said

Dope can't wait for this, all his movies is flames

1 month ago '16        #15
Vizier  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5862 5 K  Slaps total: 858 858
Dune is set in the distant future amidst a feudal interstellar society in which various noble houses control planetary fiefs. It tells the story of young Paul Atreides, whose family accepts the stewardship of the planet Arrakis.
I think I've heard this story before...and historically, it usually doesn't end well for the natives.

Spoilers

You are likely familiar with the trope of the white savior in fiction: a white person swoops into a community of color and manages to heroically lift them up, to, in effect, “save them from themselves.”...

Paul Atreides is a young white man who fulfils a persistent colonial fantasy, that of becoming a God-king to a tribal people...

Dune, a Story about a White Superman Created by a Eugenics Program...

Even more worrying than its white-savior and anti-anticolonial themes are the way that the novel embraces eugenics...

But this “new” eugenics is just the old eugenics in a clean suit. It still uses discredited and debunked science to argue that “superiority” is in the blood..

This line of thinking has been present in quite a lot of genre fiction as well. Any time a hero’s special abilities are explained as being in their “blood,” or that certain “bloodlines” are particularly important, that is eugenics-lite. The Star Wars franchise is maybe the most popular example...

But if Star Wars is eugenics-lite, Dune is eugenics straight up, no chaser. In the novel, it is revealed that Paul has his supernatural abilities because he is the product of a human breeding program conducted in secret by a shadowy, Illuminati-esque cabal of women called the “Bene Gesserit...

The Bene Gesserit had been selectively breeding their members with the leaders of the imperial houses in order to create a “Kwisatz Haderach...

Paul is the white savior of Dune. The novel’s closest cousin is probably its near-contemporary, the 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia. In both, the hero is a white representative of a foreign power at war in a desert land. In both, they integrate themselves with the local Arab/Arab-coded powers, and in both, they lead a daring guerrilla war against imperial power, and win. But that is where the stories diverge; in Lawrence of Arabia, Lawrence ultimately fails in his quest to help the locals achieve self-governance because, as the film tells it, those locals are too invested in old grudges and jockeying for power to keep the lights on...

In Dune, the ending is arguably even worse. Paul, with his Fremen armies at his back, overthrow the Emperor and set themselves up as the new center of power, with the white messiah/superman at its apex. But Paul also fails, but in a different direction.

For a moment, in the climactic f*ght at the end of the book, Paul takes stock of the future and does not like what he sees. As he peers into the future, he sees an inevitable galactic total war, and that starting that war was his real destiny...

Paul’s vision is correct. In the Dune sequels, he and his family rules tyrannically. The war that he began costs the universe 61 billion lives.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but this movie is about neo feudalism/colonialism amongst other things...

(It's also told from the perspective , of an 18 year old white savior protagonist,
who also happens to be, some rich privileged kid from a noble/royal lineage...?
)

Visually/sonically, this looks like a good movie , but I'm definitely not feeling the themes...

Last edited by Vizier; 09-16-2021 at 11:12 PM..
+3   

1 month ago '15        #16
CALL AGAIN 
Props total: 20921 20 K  Slaps total: 2715 2 K
I was sold way back when they announced Denis Villeneuve was directing I didn’t get hip to him until Enemy back in 2013, but Arrival had me taking notes. Blade Runner was ok, but didn’t hit me at all like the original, but the direction was immaculate. This sh*t at minimum will be a visual tour de force. I hate how something like this doesn’t just drop everywhere at once but atleast here in Japan we are finally getting a theatrical release a week before the US so I don’t gotta stay clear of spoilers online.
+2   

1 month ago '05        #17
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 101785 101 K  Slaps total: 12971 12 K
 Spartan 119 said

The bolded part for me because I never cared to watch or read anything about Dune and I was like 5 when the 1984 film was released.

So I'm just curious to see what the hype is about with the updated visuals.
+4   

1 month ago '17        #18
pickolo01 
Props total: 1372 1 K  Slaps total: 142 142
I have been meaning to watch the OG
+1   

1 month ago '08        #19
tdnupe3 
Props total: 40041 40 K  Slaps total: 2782 2 K
 sofreshgfx said
The original was AMAZING.

1 month ago '11        #20
CALViiiN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x26
Props total: 69275 69 K  Slaps total: 8373 8 K

denis my top 3 and he’s not 3.
+2   

1 month ago '19        #21
Dr Imhrat Khan 
Props total: 4159 4 K  Slaps total: 644 644
 Ghostface k*lla said

Lemme take her go see it. Just to help you out my Brother.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #22
Ghostface Killa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28145 28 K  Slaps total: 5021 5 K
 Dr Imhrat Khan said
Lemme take her go see it. Just to help you out my Brother.
Nah, die lonely

1 month ago '19        #23
Dr Imhrat Khan 
Props total: 4159 4 K  Slaps total: 644 644
 Ghostface k*lla said
Nah, just fu*k my wife slowly

1 month ago '17        #24
DavidTheMan 
Props total: 22367 22 K  Slaps total: 12422 12 K
 silversatin said
what's so special about this movie i keep seeing people talk about the original, is it cyberpunk ?
No, its a fantasy book.
+1   

1 month ago '04        #25
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 26319 26 K  Slaps total: 4056 4 K
 HARBINGER said
should I watch the original?
Yes

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+33online now  22
Y'all Called It, Shuri is Definitely Not Black Panther Now
184 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  17
Article inside Btc 100k++ coming
158 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  14
Wilder the African demigod really lost to this dude 3 times
91 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+16online now  11
Hassan Campbell Responds To FBG Ducks Mother...."Duck Is Burning In Hell Right..
187 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy