Sep 16 - Sanders Won't Accept Further Cuts to Spending Package, Calls for Tax Increases

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+18  85
57 replies  @games

most viewed right now
+19  61
26 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 weeks ago '15        #1
538 page views
25 comments

Top Goon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x185
Props total: 151011 151 K  Slaps total: 18609 18 K
Sep 16 - Sanders Won't Accept Further Cuts to Spending Package, Calls for Tax Increases

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has pledged to not accept any further cuts to the massive spending package still making its way through Congress, saying the $3.5 trillion cost is enough of a compromise, the a*sociated Press reported.

Sanders has also called for tax increases on America's top earners to cover the cost, which he says both Democrat and Republican working-class voters would find acceptable.

Sanders headed the drafting of the $3.5 trillion budget proposal after other progressive Democratic Congress members called for spending plans costing up to $6 trillion, the AP said. House Democrats have proposed a 26.5 percent top corporate tax rate to help finance the spending package, but some party members think the rate should be higher or lower.

President Joe Biden has had a target of 28 percent, while moderates like West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin have called for 25 percent. There is also disagreement in the party over what the top tax rate should be for capital gains, with Biden calling for 39.6 percent and House Democrats looking for 25 percent, the AP said. Those Democrats are also looking to add a 3 percent surcharge on individual incomes above $5 million

The*Democratic Party*is again confronting the competing political priorities between its progressive and moderate wings. The House version of the bill that was drafted this week ushered in a new phase of the debate that could test whether Democrats can match their bold campaign rhetoric on everything from income inequality to climate change with actual legislation.

Any stumble may have serious consequences for Democrats' prospects during next year's midterms, when they'll try to prevent*Republicans*from retaking Congress. The finished product could alienate centrists who say it goes too far, or frustrate those on the left who argue it's too timid at a moment of great consequence.

NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >

"This is critically important for Democrats and for their message in next year's election," said former New York congressman Joe Crowley, a veteran Democrat who was upset in the 2018 primary by a progressive star, Representative*Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. "We're going to blink and we're going to be in 2022."

Crowley said bills proposing trillions of dollars in spending were "simply something I never had to deal with in my 20 years" in office. "These are enormous figures by any standard," he said.

But, Crowley added, no matter the final price tag, "let's not lose sight of the fact that this will be transformational regardless."

With Republicans universally opposed to the bill, Democratic leaders have a narrow path as they navigate an evenly divided*Senate*and thin House majority.

Many Democrats agree on the goals included in the legislation, such as providing universal pre-kindergarten and tuition-free community college while increasing federal funding for child care, paid family leave and combating climate change. The party also is aiming to expand health care coverage through Medicare and create pathways to citizenship for millions of immigrants in the country illegally.

But there are differences over how much such a measure should cost and how it should be paid for.

Democratic Senators Manchin and*Kyrsten Sinema*of Arizona, who met privately with Biden on Wednesday, have balked at the $3.5 trillion cost.

"There's a supposition by our friends on the progressive left that it hardly matters what you do, as long as it's big," said Will Marshall, president of the Progressive Policy Institute, a centrist Washington think tank.

Instead, Democrats are ideologically diverse enough that "people who run in competitive races simply can't embrace the same kind of ideas that people who run in safe, blue Democratic districts," Marshall said.

Joseph Geevarghese, executive director of the progressive activist group Our Revolution, countered that "it would be incredibly problematic for the president to say, 'Look, we won both chambers of Congress. We won the White House. We couldn't deliver better health care, we couldn't deliver transformational change on the climate.'"

"It is not going to be explainable to the American people," Geevarghese said, "and I think there'll be consequences as a result."

Democrats have been here before. The progressive versus moderate divide dominated the early stages of the party's 2020 presidential primary with Biden and Sanders serving as the most prominent representatives of each end of the spectrum.

Sanders, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, scored early victories. But the party ultimately coalesced around Biden in part because of an urgent desire to unify behind a candidate who could have the broadest appeal and defeat then-President*Donald Trump.

Since then, Biden has largely kept the party unified by adopting many top progressive priorities, such as spearheading a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill that passed in March, reducing student loan debt for millions of Americans and supporting a now-stalled proposal to raise the national minimum wage to $15 per hour. He has resisted, however, some of the biggest progressive goals, including the universal health care proposal known as Medicare for All.

But it's unclear whether that equilibrium can be maintained.

Already, Our Revolution and other progressive activists have staged protests outside the offices of Manchin and other moderates. They've begun proudly referring to themselves as the "tea party of the left," out to stymie the actions of "obstructionist corporate Democrats."

Manchin is so far unmoved. "I've been very clear and very open" about the need to reduce the budget bill's price tag, he said.

In the House, meanwhile, Democratic Florida Representative Stephanie Murphy, head of the moderate Blue Dog Coalition, opposed parts of the spending package in committee, arguing that her party's effort to muscle it through was too rushed.

Progressives, though, have responded by playing their own legislative hardball. Representative Pramila Jayapal of Washington, co-chairwoman of the 96-member House Progressive Caucus, said the group remains unified behind a vow not to support a separate bill that many moderate Democrats are more excited about—a $1 trillion, bipartisan public works measure—until the budget bill advances.

"Joe Manchin has power, of course. We need his vote. But so do, really, every single one of us, because in the House, [Democrats] have a margin of three votes," Jayapal said on a conference call with progressive activists. "Everyone's a Joe Manchin here."

Marshall said many voters in battleground House districts do indeed applaud higher levies for the wealthy as "tax fairness," but that support wanes if additional spending focuses more on social programs than economic stimulus.

"It has to be tied to a plan to create good jobs, spur innovation and growth," said Marshall, who added that many in swing districts have also expressed concerns about running up federal debts and contributing to rising inflation—fears that could be alleviated by efforts to strengthen the post-pandemic economy.

Still, he said, it would be even more costly for Democrats if the squabbles over the budget proposal's final price tag drag on.

"I think Democrats will find a way to compose their differences simply because they can't afford to have this president fail," Marshall said. "The margins are just too narrow."
visit this link https://www.newsweek.com/ .. reases-1629903
+3   

best
worst
25 comments

4 weeks ago '20        #2
Blafy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 59501 59 K  Slaps total: 4536 4 K

+5   

4 weeks ago '18        #3
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 113408 113 K  Slaps total: 14140 14 K
Need Bernie to run again. fu*k these corporate politicians
+8   

4 weeks ago '17        #4
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 73876 73 K  Slaps total: 5567 5 K
Talk to em Bern. Manchin so lazy and corrupt he doesn't have a reason to vote against the bill.

+9   

4 weeks ago '21        #5
Fras 
Props total: 4191 4 K  Slaps total: 4043 4 K
fu*k Raising taxes. It always gets passed to the fu*king middle class. Y'all are dumb as fu*k if you think the rich are ever going to pay for a tax increase. Its all double speak and bullsh*t.

The reason the rich don't pay taxes today are because of the tax codes biden and bernie helped write.

4 weeks ago '21        #6
Fras 
 SFamilyRep said
Need Bernie to run again. fu*k these corporate politicians
Bernie's a sellout piece of sh*t. I'm from Vermont originally

I've met Bernie, and used to fu*k with Bernie. Until he became a piece of sh*t.

4 weeks ago '18        #7
 Fras said
Bernie's a sellout piece of sh*t. I'm from Vermont originally

I've met Bernie, and used to fu*k with Bernie. Until he became a piece of sh*t.
Sellout? Still better than Biden & Trump by eons.
+4   

4 weeks ago '16        #8
MadMarlo 
Props total: 19591 19 K  Slaps total: 3933 3 K
 Fras said
fu*k Raising taxes. It always gets passed to the fu*king middle class. Y'all are dumb as fu*k if you think the rich are ever going to pay for a tax increase. Its all double speak and bullsh*t.

The reason the rich don't pay taxes today are because of the tax codes biden and bernie helped write.
Shut up dumb a*s.

You just say sh*t to see if anybody will see how ridiculous you are
+11   

4 weeks ago '21        #9
Fras 
 SFamilyRep said
Sellout? Still better than Biden & Trump by eons.
Maybe better than Biden because he's more mentally there.

But not better than Trump.

Other than being indoctrinated, I don't know what stick you got up your a*s about Trump.

4 weeks ago '18        #10
 Fras said
Maybe better than Biden because he's more mentally there.

But not better than Trump.

Other than being indoctrinated, I don't know what stick you got up your a*s about Trump.
Keep acting dumb all you want. I don’t care to explain sh*t that doesn’t need explaining. You got 4 years worth of evidence. Please stop replying to me about this topic. Thanks
+4   

4 weeks ago '21        #11
Fras 
 SFamilyRep said
Keep acting dumb all you want. I don’t care to explain sh*t that doesn’t need explaining. You got 4 years worth of evidence. Please stop replying to me about this topic. Thanks
You got 4 years worth of provable fake news and lies. Please stop replying to me about this topic. Thanks.

4 weeks ago '18        #12
 Fras said
You got 4 years worth of provable fake news and lies. Please stop replying to me about this topic. Thanks.
I don’t care about what you have to say politically fam

4 weeks ago '21        #13
Fras 
 SFamilyRep said
I don’t care about what you have to say politically fam
Why do you think I care about what you have to say politically?

4 weeks ago '18        #14
 Fras said
n*gga you quoted me
+4   

4 weeks ago '18        #15
Armstrong 102 
Props total: 7840 7 K  Slaps total: 2808 2 K
 Fras said

Ya but you live in truth and reality and understanding of how sh*t works, most of the population is so lost they don't understand or comprehend what you just wrote they can't see it even though it's visible in our everyday life. This is all just talk to make people feel like the gov is out here trying to help you

4 weeks ago '05        #16
bklyn 
Props total: 4440 4 K  Slaps total: 2517 2 K
These politicians really think some extra tax revenue gonna solve the problems their terrible policies create.

4 weeks ago '10        #17
AmazinJay 
Props total: 2833 2 K  Slaps total: 410 410
 Fras said

So tell me why that we have had the highest concentration of wealth in the past 30 years since Republicans enacted these tax cuts? The middle class has gotten poorer and wages has stagnated since then reaganomics. Keep cutting taxes and there will be no more middle class. This trend didn't start with Biden. Go back to Ronald Reagan. Except the only period where we had record growth was under Clinton when we raised taxes for the rich and cut spending at the same time.
+1   

4 weeks ago '15        #18
Lord Funkington 
Props total: 9160 9 K  Slaps total: 1450 1 K
For some reason people dont seem to understand that spending and cutting taxes leads to deficits. I forgot that conservatives only care about deficits when a Democrat is in office though.

+3   

4 weeks ago '17        #19
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 182519 182 K  Slaps total: 13227 13 K
 Fras said

Trump's tax cut plan increased my taxes by $30k.

+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #20
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 183248 183 K  Slaps total: 10692 10 K
 Fras said
Cause his post triggered you enough to reply to him and you kept going back dumbass
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #21
 Naga Sadow said

Not to mention he dangled a middle class tax cut during the mid terms that year and absolutely stopped talking about it ever again once the voting was done

I guess Trump was waiting for Mexico to send the money order over for the wall before coming through on his dumb a*s promises/lies

4 weeks ago '17        #22
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 182519 182 K  Slaps total: 13227 13 K
 OldBusiness said
Not to mention he dangled a middle class tax cut during the mid terms that year and absolutely stopped talking about it ever again once the voting was done

I guess Trump was waiting for Mexico to send the money order over for the wall before coming through on his dumb a*s promises/lies
And year over year taxes for the middle and lower class are gonna increase. But Fras goofy as usual says he knows something without doing research. I remember when his tax plan hit and how the guys in the shop were pissed because they couldn't deduct the tools they buy for work. Teachers can't even catch a break for the school supplies they buy. But yet raising taxes on the rich is going too far.

4 weeks ago '12        #23
 Naga Sadow said
And year over year taxes for the middle and lower class are gonna increase. But Fras goofy as usual says he knows something without doing research. I remember when his tax plan hit and how the guys in the shop were pissed because they couldn't deduct the tools they buy for work. Teachers can't even catch a break for the school supplies they buy. But yet raising taxes on the rich is going too far.

Yep and that tax plan from Trump has already been confirmed as a major mistep, won't pay for itself, and will cause tax increases across the board for low income/middle class income workers in America. But hey America loves lining it's masters pockets with cash
+1   

4 weeks ago '06        #24
Supreme7 
Props total: 6150 6 K  Slaps total: 1034 1 K
 Armstrong 102 said
Ya but you live in truth and reality and understanding of how sh*t works, most of the population is so lost they don't understand or comprehend what you just wrote they can't see it even though it's visible in our everyday life. This is all just talk to make people feel like the gov is out here trying to help you
Big facts
+1   

4 weeks ago '21        #25
Fras 
 Naga Sadow said

You must be making like 6 figures. Props to you! The rich must pay their fair share!

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+302online now  43
Video inside My Man Can't Be a Security Guard No More After This....
177 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+34online now  33
[Fat Loss] The 10 most Underrated foods for fat loss (and staying lean)
47 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+99online now  26
Video inside When y'all both notice red flags!!
77 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+35online now  10
this is called eating good in jail
105 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy