Sep 14 - California at a crossroads recall voters decide fate of Newsom, future of state

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
37 replies  @guap

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 days ago '05        #1
2314 page views
137 comments

bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 10598 10 K  Slaps total: 3000 3 K
Sep 14 - California at a crossroads recall voters decide fate of Newsom, future of state

California at a crossroads as recall voters decide fate of Newsom, future of state

Numerous factors pushed Californians to the polls for Tuesday’s recall election: concerns about crime, education, wildfires and the state of the COVID-19 pandemic among them.

But for some, the question of whether to remove Gov. Gavin Newsom from office — and who should replace him — was as much about charting the course for the future of California as it was a reflection on the decisions and circumstances that led to this moment.

“When you look around the state of California, it’s just sad, really,” said Pasadena homemaker Mary Forrest, 32, a mother of three with another on the way. “I look at my children. There’s more emphasis on homeless people than there is education of our children. That needs to change.

On the other side of the equation were voters like Wanda James, a retired teacher in her 80s who showed up to vote at the Robinson Park Recreation Center in Pasadena wearing purple sunglasses adorned with rhinestones and a mask with the image of Rosie the Riveter flexing a bicep.

James voted to keep Newsom in office — equating the alternative to an unwanted intrusion of “Trumpism in disguise” into the state’s largely blue backyard.

The closely watched recall campaign carries immense consequences, not just for the nation’s most populous state, but for the nation as a whole. However things turn out, the outcome seems set to be cited as evidence of which direction the larger political winds are blowing.

For Republicans, a successful recall would not only deal Newsom a devastating defeat, but shatter the entrenched Democratic hegemony in Sacramento and, they argue, demonstrate voter appetite for significant changes in the priorities and operation of state government. Democrats have decried the effort as an underhanded power grab that threatens to undermine California’s values and carries potentially dire consequences, should it succeed.

As of early Tuesday afternoon, about 9.1 million Californians, or roughly 41% of the electorate, had already returned their ballots, according to information compiled by Political Data Inc., a California election research company.

Although every registered voter statewide received a ballot in the mail, many still trekked to their local polling places Tuesday

Outside Beverly Hills City Hall, Jason Greene, who was waiting for his friend to cast his ballot, said it felt great to be voting to recall Newsom and install conservative radio talk show host Larry Elder, the leading Republican candidate.

“I don’t like how the state is being run,” he said. “Elder has more of a practical point of view.”

But when Santana Salas cast her ballot at Jerome Center in Santa Ana, she voted against recalling Newsom. She said her impetus is her unvaccinated 10-year-old sister, Alina.

“I’m thinking about her safety, the safety of kids who aren’t eligible for vaccination,” Salas said. “She’s the only one in our family who isn’t vaccinated right now. The pandemic is still going strong. Other states don’t have mask mandates at schools, and you can see the rise in the virus, especially in kids.”

Louie Boucher, 19 and his mother, Eliza Boucher, 50, are weary of the pandemic and what it’s brought: business closures, distancing and especially masks. But the mother and son don’t agree on whether recalling Newsom is the answer.

Minutes after casting her “yes” vote Tuesday morning at the Jerome Center, Eliza Boucher said she isn’t very political but said she wanted to return to what life was like before the pandemic.

“I want a change,” she said. “I’m tired to all the closings and wearing the masks. I want the freedom we had before.”

She said she doesn’t know much about Elder but voted for him because her husband advised it.

Louie Boucher, a Santa Ana College sophomore majoring in chemistry, said he dislikes wearing masks too, but said he does it because he wants to keep himself and others safe during the pandemic. He voted against the recall because he thinks Newsom has done his best to “try to protect the people in this state.”

Boucher said his grandmother contracted COVID-19 and nearly died.

It’s because people are not doing the most they can for the community,” he said. “Without the mask mandates, we’re just going to go back to square one.”

Though 46 candidates are listed on the ballot as potential replacements, the race for weeks has been framed as essentially a head-to-head matchup between Newsom and Elder.

Elder is pacing the field of Newsom’s opponents with 38% of support from likely voters, according to a UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll, in collaboration with the Los Angeles Times — a double-digit lead over Democratic candidate and YouTube star Kevin Paffrath, who garnered 10%.

“I think I’ve energized the state, I’ve energized the party.… That’s why they’re bringing in this heavy load,” Elder said recently, referencing the national Democratic surrogates who have campaigned for Newsom.

Democrats have regularly likened Elder to former President Trump, and said his ascension would undermine the state’s progressive values and imperil efforts to combat climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic. Elder has said he would repeal the Newsom administration’s statewide mandates for students to wear masks in public schools and vaccination requirements for healthcare workers and state employees.

At an event in a San Francisco union hall, Newsom gave an 11th-hour stump speech to supporters, encouraging them to reach out and get people to the polls to vote against the recall.

“We can’t allow the economy, not just our public health, to be impacted by a wrong decision tonight at 8 o’clock,” he told the cheering crowd, with his wife, First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom, and daughter standing by his side. “So what are we going to do? We will turn out and vote no on this recall.”

Republicans have long objected to Newsom’s handling of the pandemic and his use of executive powers. They’ve also taken him to task for participating in a gathering last year at the upscale French Laundry restaurant in Napa Valley.

Newsom’s attendance at the event — with several unmasked people outside his household — directly contradicted the state’s COVID-19 guidance to the public at the time and ignited a wave of support for the recall from Californians frustrated with the governor for breaking his own rules.

“You’re over here and you say I can’t do this, but you’re over here doing it?” said Nathaniel Baleanu, 28, a Republican and Air Force veteran who was voting Tuesday at a Riverside County Registrar of Voters polling station. “It’s like a parent, ‘Do as I say, not as I do.’”

Pasadena resident Bobby Charlie, 33, said his brother recently closed his brewery because of heavy financial losses sustained during COVID-19 lockdowns.

“Newsom’s winery stayed opened, but regular people had to close their businesses,” Charlie said. “That’s a double standard.”

Connor O’Sullivan, 25, was happy the recall went through. The Massachusetts native voted for Elder on Tuesday at the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall, citing the GOP candidate’s conservative values as a key reason for his vote.

“I think [Newsom] handled the pandemic terribly. I think taxes are crazy — I just don’t think he’s competent to run a state,” he said, noting that he disapproved of the governor’s closure of churches during the pandemic.

Terry Lee, 78, had one reason to vote against the recall: “To stop all this ridiculousness that’s happening.”

“California has been taking a lot of hits,” he said. Newsom “is doing fine, as best as he can.”

Lee said the political divide that is growing in the country is worrisome, but he believes the state will be OK.

“California has always survived,” he said. “If there’s one thing I know about this country — and I’ve seen it many times before — is that if it’s a right thing, then that will always prevail.”

Greg Sannes, who has lived in West Hollywood 23 years, said this recall election was “B.S.”

If the Republicans want to run another candidate next year during the regularly scheduled election, he’d evaluate that person on their merits. But this race feels unfair and a distraction, he said.

“In a year’s time if they want to run a decent candidate, we can look at it and decide,” he said.

For him, Newsom has been following the science, pushing people to wear masks and get vaccinated.

“There are plenty of social problems, and he has made mistakes,” he said. “But this recall is not a good use of time. “

Several voters echoed that sentiment.

“I’m not a defender of Newsom, but I think he’s done OK or as best as you can during a pandemic,” said Pasadena resident Keith Ashton, 60. “He protected the state’s population with masks and shutdowns and it hurt, but it was the right thing to do.”

Ashton did not like the recall’s hefty price tag or that those advocating Newsom’s ouster couldn’t wait until the 2022 election.

“A lot of this doesn’t make any sense,” he said. “This is a big waste of money and time.”

“He’s not going to do anything for California,” Nyamekye said of Elder. “I’ll take the lesser of two evils.”

Recall candidate and state a*semblyman Kevin Kiley (R-Rocklin) brought his ballot into a mostly empty polling site at St. Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in Roseville.

Kiley said he is feeling optimistic, despite recent polling suggesting Newsom has a sizable lead in halting the recall attempt. Kiley said, “Gavin Newsom has trotted out Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Barack Obama” and others, which he called a “sign of desperation.”

She sidestepped questions about whether that was appropriate, but noted that anyone was better than Newsom.

“I believe in the system. I believe in the state of California. I believe in our electoral system ... even if I don’t get in. I think it’s important that citizens of this state get together and make sure there’s integrity in our voting laws,” she said.

Republican candidate John Cox stopped by Long Beach on Tuesday morning “to make it clear that this race isn’t just about the national political scene. ... This is about the quality of life for Californians.”

“The important thing is that we vote yes on the recall ... doesn’t matter if people select Larry or myself,” Cox said. “I’m hoping I have a chance, but yeah, the more important thing is to vote yes on the recall.”

visit this link https://www.latimes.com/c .. l-election-day

best
worst
137 comments

4 days ago '20        #2
Eatsumcheese  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x91
Props total: 18232 18 K  Slaps total: 3487 3 K
Looks like newsom going to win easy
+14   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 days ago '17        #3
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 91200 91 K  Slaps total: 24164 24 K
 Eatsumcheese said
Looks like newsom going to win easy
Yeah, of course. Anyone who thought Newsom was going to get recalled was a clown and probably still believes trump is somehow going to get installed as a dictator from the 2020 election.
+21   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 days ago '17        #4
 bobbysteels18 said
“The important thing is that we vote yes on the recall ... doesn’t matter if people select Larry or myself,” Cox said. “I’m hoping I have a chance, but yeah, the more important thing is to vote yes on the recall.”

Cox was that dude who had a bear standing next to him in his commercials. Republicans don't seem to understand if they want to beat democrats they have to stop picking candidates who are way worse than the democratic candidate.
+8   

4 days ago '20        #5
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 14589 14 K  Slaps total: 26270 26 K
Newsom bout to show y’all Californians what a Wuhan dictator is

4 days ago '17        #6
Coffee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 42652 42 K  Slaps total: 8999 8 K
Slick hair been safe.
+5   

4 days ago '18        #7
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 65232 65 K  Slaps total: 5473 5 K
fu*k Republicans and this waste of money.
+15   

4 days ago '17        #8
Coffee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 42652 42 K  Slaps total: 8999 8 K
 DUCEDUCE said
Its their favorite thing to do. Waste the state's money while they raise money for their coffers.

Elder was gearing up his 'THEY CHEATED ME' cannon weeks ago.
+11   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 days ago '17        #9
 Coffee said
Its their favorite thing to do. Waste the state's money while they raise money for their coffers.

Elder was gearing up his 'THEY CHEATED ME' cannon weeks ago.
They love wasting the taxpayers' money, then claiming "the government" is stealing taxpayers' money.
+11   

4 days ago '20        #10
The real telling sign will be these swing states that demand for even more Wuhan commie policies endorsed by whichever candidates in 2022.

Cali lawst

4 days ago '21        #11
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17432 17 K  Slaps total: 3305 3 K
Else or newsom…Cali has a problem

4 days ago '05        #12
bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16 OP
Props total: 10598 10 K  Slaps total: 3000 3 K
I don't think we'll know the results for a few weeks, people have been mailing in ballots for a month and it's going to take weeks to see who wins.

4 days ago '06        #13
dagreat1_87 
Props total: 18133 18 K  Slaps total: 921 921
 bobbysteels18 said
I don't think we'll know the results for a few weeks, people have been mailing in ballots for a month and it's going to take weeks to see who wins.
He already won Bruh
+9   

4 days ago '14        #14
PolarBear 
Props total: 20847 20 K  Slaps total: 7077 7 K
Waste of money but
+2   

4 days ago '18        #15
ChrisPartlowFro 
Props total: 31150 31 K  Slaps total: 3487 3 K
 DUCEDUCE said
@ slapped this post. So by inference BuiltForThis is a bootlicker
+9   

Top 10 most propped recently  4 days ago '12        #16
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 181141 181 K  Slaps total: 10558 10 K
 Coffee said
Slick hair been safe.
This made me laugh

He does have that early 90s movie bad corporate guy slick hair look
+8   

4 days ago '04        #17
Chronos  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 25788 25 K  Slaps total: 732 732
Huge waste of time and money, we need to change our recall laws

Last edited by Chronos; 09-14-2021 at 09:50 PM..
+5   

4 days ago '20        #18
 ChrisPartlowFro said
@ slapped this post. So by inference BuiltForThis is a bootlicker
The ones who be crying how money is spent be the same ones begging for money

4 days ago '06        #19
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 27058 27 K  Slaps total: 6198 6 K

fu*k MAGA, fu*k Republicans, fu*k conservatives, fu*k anti vax conspiracy retards, fu*k all these disgusting a*s Covid carriers.

+9   

4 days ago '12        #20
CosbySweater 
Props total: 25873 25 K  Slaps total: 2031 2 K
waste of money and time.

his biggest crime was that he got caught eating at a restaurant in the middle of quarantine.
+13   

4 days ago '08        #21
stlcardinals19 
Props total: 17284 17 K  Slaps total: 1321 1 K

Yea, this is about over. Huge waste of time if the "Yes" can't even hit above 40% by the final count
+9   

4 days ago '20        #22
All y’all cryin over money and time need to move to that state since y’all definitely ain’t finna flee this country.

And the ones already there. Stay there

Last edited by BuiltForThis; 09-14-2021 at 09:56 PM..

4 days ago '14        #23
longliverick 
Props total: 12586 12 K  Slaps total: 6625 6 K
Keep voting Democrat u heathens and keep getting fu*ked like the oblivious hoez U r

4 days ago '06        #24
bxdiplomat  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 18706 18 K  Slaps total: 1731 1 K

+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  4 days ago '12        #25
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 181141 181 K  Slaps total: 10558 10 K
 CosbySweater said
waste of money and time.

his biggest crime was that he got caught eating at a restaurant in the middle of quarantine.
He also got caught fu*king one of his secretaries or w/e back in 07, in like 2005 or 2006I think he fu*ked the wife of one of his campaign managers or strategists, and in 2018 he fu*ked one of his aides. I forget which one and im typing fully off memory but in one of those he also lied and said he was going to rehab for alcohol or some sh*t when really he was trying to take away from the impact of him cheating on his wife again lol.

The chick thats dating Donald Trump Jr now?....She was married to Gavin Newsome when he was fu*king the campaign managers wife....Trump Jr with the sloppy seconds after someone he hates cheated on the bi*ch

He admitted it too
+8   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  24
Image(s) inside Brian Pumper aka Michael Marcellus Felton Is Currently Looked Up On s*..
112 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+49online now  18
Video inside Sniper Gang Artist Wiz Da Wizard k*lled In Florida
130 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  17
Tesla just crushed the record for fastest electric vehicle in the world