Death Trash is twisted, and I mean that as a compliment

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 months ago '12        #1
565 page views
13 comments

Faythung 
Props total: 23067 23 K  Slaps total: 2060 2 K
death Trash is twisted, and I mean that as a compliment

The splatterpunk body-horror RPG is living up to expectations.

I'm glad death Trash is pixel art, because otherwise I'd be grossed-out by all the raw meat, vomit, and skinlessness. Not to mention the nekkid old men who seem to cheerfully hang out on the sidelines of this particular post-apocalypse. One of them danced at me.

Here are some of the names on death Trash's overworld map: Festering Gorge, Woundland, Puke Bar. It's not a nice place. I've been exiled here because of an illness that means I can't stay in the underground bunker run by robots where humans chill in VR cyberwombs all day instead of getting jobs. Now I live on the surface with the outcasts, mutants, mysterious gigantic entities called titans, and an endless supply of meat that fountains out of the ground.

That raw meat seems to be the only thing anyone eats, despite the fleshworms crawling around it. With a successful animalism check I pick up a fleshworm to carry around and be my friend. Then I yeet it into a cluster of enemies as a distraction. There are a lot of enemies in the Early Access version of death Trash, and a pre-release update notes "improved non-combat gameplay" will be part of the full release. So while I can sneak past some f*ghts, I do have to murder a whole lot of mutants while exploring this grotesque wasteland.

death Trash's combat is real-time and does the classic RPG thing of pissing me off until I get some decent gear and enough skill points, when it suddenly becomes fun. This happens around the time I find a sword, which I like to carry around because it fits my aesthetic as well as because it does enough damage to drop someone with a single backstab.

The character creator lets you make your own punk, so I've gone with sunglasses and a flappy black ensemble, which I later accessorise with a bandana over my mouth. Dressed like this, holding a sword out point-down like an anime character just feels right. At least until I find a claw glove that does even more damage.

Most f*ghts begin from stealth. I activate an implant that turns me invisible long enough to get behind someone's vision cone and drop them. Being able to take out the most annoying enemy in a group before the rest get mad about it is a definite boon. Then it's a matter of frantically dodge-rolling between swipes so those precious frames of invincibility keep me safe, hoping everyone dies before my stamina runs out.

There are guns, and a right-click brings up whichever one I've got equipped, fluidly switching between shooting and hacking. There are at least six different kinds of ammo so you better believe I'm carrying one of each weapon type just in case, even though I've made a melee-build character.

In one corner of a map I found a bandit with a rocket launcher—a one-hit k*ll weapon—covering all the angles from a cul-de-sac. I threw a blip, which is a thing that goes 'blip', distracting the bandit long enough for me to get the Freddy Krueger claws out. I've been carrying that rocket launcher ever since and haven't fired it once, because what if I need it later? This is what happens to my brain in any game with limited ammo.

My favorite way to play Fallout was as a diplomat, talking my way out of most problems, and although death Trash has an empathy stat I've only found a couple of places where it adds dialogue options. Stealth or violence or a combination of the two seems like the way to go, but that's not to say there's nothing but combat in this Early Access version of death Trash.

In one settlement I met a couple of exiles engaged in a vomiting competition, and agreed to help one of them win by finding a real gross thing for him to eat. Performance-enhancing substances are ruining the sport of competitive puking, and I'm part of the problem. I've also tried to figure out what the deal is with the mysterious illness that makes me personally so pukey. Seeking out experts in medicine and science led into the mysteries of the titans, which some of the wasteland's clever people are fixated on, but a few hours in I've hit a wall in that unfinished questline. So instead I'm sidequesting, dealing with the Puke Bar's fleshmaggot problem, and finding friends for the Fleshkraken.

If it's not obvious from the fact I used the word "puke" three times in that paragraph, this is a game with a hell of a tone, delighting in crassness. Technology runs on vomit, one of the crafting materials is trash, and when you dump things out of your inventory you say "fu*k that" and "No need for this sh*t." It's a world of trash, but that's OK because I am a trash goblin, determined to thrive on my all-meat diet and all-stab tactics, Naruto-running across the desert with my sword in one hand.

death Trash is available on visit this link Steam.

visit this link Source
+4   

best
worst
13 comments

2 months ago '20        #2
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 24402 24 K  Slaps total: 6027 6 K
stopped reading at

2 months ago '12        #3
Faythung  OP
Props total: 23067 23 K  Slaps total: 2060 2 K
 D1dnt read said
stopped reading at

At...............exp?
+2   

2 months ago '17        #4
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 76137 76 K  Slaps total: 26132 26 K
You Xbots play fu*king basura left and right sheesh

2 months ago '05        #5
Krazie 
Props total: 42086 42 K  Slaps total: 6516 6 K
 SPdaGOAT said
You Xbots play fu*king basura left and right sheesh
Better than playing no games at all.
+3   

2 months ago '17        #6
 Krazie said
Better than playing no games at all.
Being able to hug your mom>>>>>>>>

2 months ago '04        #7
gh3tto 
Props total: 48095 48 K  Slaps total: 11610 11 K
 Faythung said
At...............exp?
this is already at very positive on steam and theres only a small amount of content so thats a pretty good sign

2 months ago '16        #8
Quinn 
Props total: 7094 7 K  Slaps total: 1680 1 K
Play the demo when steam had the demo promo for devs…

Game is pretty tight, worth the price

May not have time to play, will see

2 months ago '11        #9
xArchangeLx 
Props total: 5528 5 K  Slaps total: 1414 1 K
I'll give it a shot, thanks

As long as it ain't like that bullsh*t boring Disco Elysium

2 months ago '11        #10
Ejoly 
Props total: 495 495  Slaps total: 481 481
 SPdaGOAT said
Being able to hug your mom>>>>>>>>
You are a truly pathetic human. Bringing up someone's real life sh*t into your fanboy BS.. you are a pathetic piece of sh*t. I cant believe you would go to a place like that.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #11
Krazie 
Props total: 42086 42 K  Slaps total: 6516 6 K
 Ejoly said
You are a truly pathetic human. Bringing up someone's real life sh*t into your fanboy BS.. you are a pathetic piece of sh*t. I cant believe you would go to a place like that.
I find that sh*t lowkey hilarious that he exposes himself as such a deplorable human

But then it saddens me because I know it's only due to his severe mental problems that he lashes out. Can't help but feel bad for the little guy, honestly.
+3   

2 months ago '17        #12
 Ejoly said
It was all fun and games when he was calling my mom and wife wh*res multiple times

Shouldn’t throw stones if you live in a glass house

2 months ago '17        #13
 Krazie said
But then it saddens me because I know it's only due to his severe mental problems that he lashes out.
The call is coming from inside the house

Will you be making fun of certain posters country of residence anymore?

2 months ago '04        #14
gh3tto 
Props total: 48095 48 K  Slaps total: 11610 11 K
Why Early Access?
death Trash has already been in development for more than five years by a single developer. The game has, like other role-playing games, a certain complexity and interconnected systems and would benefit a lot from player feedback. Therefore we would like to include the community in improving this game.”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
We're planning to keep death Trash in Early Access for about a year. But if it takes longer than that to make a game we're happy with, we'll take more time.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The final game will feature an open world with a handcrafted story campaign. Early Access will start with only the first "chapter" of that, then gradually add more story parts and locations, and keep the final part of the story for the official release. We'll probably also add more content to the existing locations over time, too, including items, characters and new quests.

Base gameplay features like combat, stealth, multiple choice dialogue, and crafting are implemented already, but we'll continue fine-tuning them, adding more gameplay options and improving their integration with the character stats system.

We plan to continue working on the game after the official 1.0 release, fixing bugs and improving usability.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Although a lot of gameplay systems are implemented already, the story campaign is not fully included yet and the playable locations and quests only amount to a few hours of playtime. The existing systems might also have bugs, and lack options and progression.
The game features replayability through story and gameplay choices, but if "many hours of gameplay" is an important metric to you, you should wait until this game is finished.

The splitscreen co-op is implemented in the Early Access version as a very basic variant and will likely need a lot more feedback and design iterations.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“The game will not be priced differently when leaving Early Access.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We are planning to improve all systems of the game through player feedback. These include ranged and melee combat, stealth, character builds through stats and abilities, crafting and more. We're open to story, quest and NPC suggestions too, but will naturally keep tighter control on that to keep a consistent tone.

Players will be able to tell us any kind of feedback and ideas through the Steam Forums, the official death Trash Discord, Twitter, and Facebook. There's also a simple bug reporting tool in the game itself.”
one developer with a year timeline probably means hes being optimistic
especially considering how much content it took him to make in 5 years

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  30
Video inside BMF: Black Mafia Family - Season 1 | Discussion Thread (Starz)
128 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+38online now  25
Asap Rocky let Rihanna know her pus-y belonged to him 9 years ago
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-16online now  14
Slim Jesus Jr
85 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  9
Video inside SMACK/URL - Summer Madness XI [DISCUSSION THREAD] (4PM ET x CAFFEINE x ..
1525 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy