Aug 5 - Surveillance State: Apple plans to scan US iPhones for child abuse imagery

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '17        #1
1575 page views
58 comments

Mr Scaramucci  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x163
Props total: 111905 111 K  Slaps total: 25326 25 K
Aug 5 - Surveillance State: Apple plans to scan US iPhones for child abuse imagery

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at visit this link https://www.ft.com/tour.
visit this link https://www.ft.com/conten .. 2-a81458f5411f

Apple intends to install software on American iPhones to scan for child abuse imagery, according to people briefed on its plans, raising alarm among security researchers who warn that it could open the door to surveillance of millions of people’s personal devices.

Apple detailed its proposed system — known as “neuralMatch” — to some US academics earlier this week, according to two security researchers briefed on the virtual meeting. The plans could be publicised more widely as soon as this week, they said.

The automated system would proactively alert a team of human reviewers if it believes illegal imagery is detected, who would then contact law enforcement if the material can be verified. The scheme will initially roll out only in the US.

Apple declined to comment.

The proposals are Apple’s attempt to find a compromise between its own promise to protect customers’ privacy and ongoing demands from governments, law enforcement agencies and child safety campaigners for more a*sistance in criminal investigations, including terrorism and child pr0nography.

The tension between tech companies such as Apple and Facebook, which have defended their increasing use of encryption in their products and services, and law enforcement has only intensified since the iPhone maker went to court with the FBI in 2016 over access to a terror suspect’s iPhone following a shooting in San Bernardino, California.

Security researchers, while supportive of efforts to combat child abuse, are concerned that Apple risks enabling governments around the world to seek access to their citizens’ personal data, potentially far beyond its original intent.

“It is an absolutely appalling idea, because it is going to lead to distributed bulk surveillance of . . . our phones and laptops,” said Ross Anderson, professor of security engineering at the University of Cambridge.

Although the system is currently trained to spot child s*x abuse, it could be adapted to scan for any other targeted imagery and text, for instance, terror behe*dings or anti-government signs at protests, say researchers. Apple’s precedent could also increase pressure on other tech companies to use similar techniques.

“This will break the dam — governments will demand it from everyone,” said Matthew Green, a security professor at Johns Hopkins University, who is believed to be the first researcher to post a tweet about the issue.

Alec Muffett, a security researcher and privacy campaigner who formerly worked at Facebook and Deliveroo, said Apple’s move was “tectonic” and a “huge and regressive step for individual privacy”.

“Apple are walking back privacy to enable 1984,” he said.

Cloud-based photo storage systems and social networking sites already scan for child abuse imagery, but that process becomes more complex when trying to access data stored on a personal device.

Apple’s system is less invasive in that the screening is done on the phone, and “only if there is a match is notification sent back to those searching”, said Alan Woodward, a computer security professor at the University of Surrey. “This decentralised approach is about the best approach you could adopt if you do go down this route.”

Apple’s neuralMatch algorithm will continuously scan photos that are stored on a US user’s iPhone and have also been uploaded to its iCloud back-up system. Users’ photos, converted into a string of numbers through a process known as “hashing”, will be compared with those on a database of known images of child s*xual abuse.

The system has been trained on 200,000 s*x abuse images collected by the US non-profit National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

According to people briefed on the plans, every photo uploaded to iCloud in the US will be given a “safety voucher” saying whether it is suspect or not. Once a certain number of photos are marked as suspect, Apple will enable all the suspect photos to be decrypted and, if apparently illegal, passed on to the relevant authorities.

visit this link https://www.ft.com/conten .. 2-a81458f5411f
+4   

best
worst
58 comments

2 months ago '18        #2
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 111830 111 K  Slaps total: 13920 13 K
This isn’t good in anyway and I’m against child abuse

Last edited by SFamilyRep; 08-05-2021 at 12:52 PM..
+52   

2 months ago '05        #3
Sizzler01  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 14402 14 K  Slaps total: 4977 4 K
apple doesnt really care about child abuse...
+44   

2 months ago '17        #4
S PHX GOD 
Props total: 52113 52 K  Slaps total: 7161 7 K
the scan system is based on Belief..
+1   

2 months ago '05        #5
Tha TC  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 31576 31 K  Slaps total: 1562 1 K
Welp, weirdos beware on one hand but they’re gonna go hunting fo all kinds of newds. What if you’re changing a diaper or something and that photo sets it off idk

Edit second thought fu*k nah
+7   

2 months ago '17        #6
Mr Scaramucci  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x163 OP
Props total: 111905 111 K  Slaps total: 25326 25 K

+1   

2 months ago '06        #7
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34416 34 K  Slaps total: 4823 4 K
I thought they were doing this already? I remember reading about it a while back pre-pandemic.

Either way it’s terrible.. they’re gonna be checking every photo on every phone out there.

2 months ago '20        #8
I Know  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 6891 6 K  Slaps total: 7833 7 K
 bigkilla said
I thought they were doing this already? I remember reading about it a while back pre-pandemic.

Either way it’s terrible.. they’re gonna be checking every photo on every phone out there.
Cloud-based photo storage systems and social networking sites already scan for child abuse imagery, but that process becomes more complex when trying to access data stored on a personal device.

Sending anything over Cloud is fair game and already done.

And the creepers/pedos ect ect probably made/ found some loophole that the Feds / government are unable to access easily.
+2   

2 months ago '20        #9
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 15918 15 K  Slaps total: 1071 1 K
I'm all for the war against child abuse but I'd like for Apple to call out the big wigs that are in higher up social classes for that pedophilia/ephebophilia ish too. We haven't forgotten...
+10   

2 months ago '06        #10
 I Know said

Sending anything over Cloud is fair game and already done.

And the creepers/pedos ect ect probably made/ found some loophole that the Feds / government are unable to access easily.
Yea I get that. End of the day those cloud servers are their property and they have to right to but when you buy a phone from them that’s your phone. They shouldn’t be able to check what is and isn’t on everyone’s phones especially when they’re scanning everything.
+3   

2 months ago '17        #11
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 16579 16 K  Slaps total: 1726 1 K
 bigkilla said
Yea I get that. End of the day those cloud servers are their property and they have to right to but when you buy a phone from them that’s your phone. They shouldn’t be able to check what is and isn’t on everyone’s phones especially when they’re scanning everything.
The problem is, as a company, Apple never believed in that sentiment (which is why they micromanage every aspect of how you can use their products). Its the reason why I never got into their products.
+6   

2 months ago '05        #12
4REAL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 43263 43 K  Slaps total: 13795 13 K
First they invade our phone conversations, they want to invade our bodies with experimental treatments, and now invading our devices. This is just an excuse for more and more invasion. These people aren't truly against any pedophilia. Look what's going on with the LGBTQ agenda and how they are targeting children.

Thanks to liberal insanity being pushed with time, there will come a time in the future when wokesters will say pedophilia is natural and is a s*xual preference and will reference our current time in 2021 as toxic to pedophiles.

And by then, these phone devices will have upped the anti x ten in invading our phones and private lives.
+7   

2 months ago '21        #13
Marrero 
Props total: 2097 2 K  Slaps total: 1050 1 K
It was a good run yall....
+10   

2 months ago '06        #14
 WHATEVERMAN said
The problem is, as a company, Apple never believed in that sentiment (which is why they micromanage every aspect of how you can use their products). Its the reason why I never got into their products.
But that’s not just Apple.

Remember Sony sued Geohotz or whatever for breaking into the PlayStation.. like it’s all these companies.
+2   

2 months ago '21        #15
Fras 
Props total: 3684 3 K  Slaps total: 3529 3 K
They don't care about children. Anything that is run by corporations or governments that claims to be for "good" while infringing on your rights is never for good.

If Apple cared about children they wouldn't have children making their phones, and suicide nets at their manufacturing facilities.

sh*t makes me sad man. Back to polaroids and photo books for us...
+6   

2 months ago '15        #16
CZNM22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30922 30 K  Slaps total: 944 944
If you're using Apple products, you already know what the deal is.

This is why I fu*k with open platforms and open-source software so much.
+7   

2 months ago '21        #17
BigGVD 
Props total: 5104 5 K  Slaps total: 855 855
Lotta bx weird boys sweating right now
+8   

2 months ago '15        #18
Djkataz 
Props total: 493 493  Slaps total: 132 132
Im Conflicted ,If its true they have good intentions great.
However I'm against this a little to much like BIG BROTHER to me. What next if this is allowed .
+2   

2 months ago '05        #19
gregnice631 
Props total: 11063 11 K  Slaps total: 489 489
sh*t is wild. bx members gonna be putting their kid brother in a headlock and get flagged.
+6   

2 months ago '04        #20
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 22604 22 K  Slaps total: 2640 2 K
I could see how this could go wrong, some people take pics their kids in the bath or only in their underwear hell my parents have a good amount of pics of me in my he-man underpants and running around the house with no clothes on.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #21
bklyn 
Props total: 4414 4 K  Slaps total: 2511 2 K
Jailbreak your iPhone and block that BS.
+3   

2 months ago '14        #22
rashadd 
Props total: 23555 23 K  Slaps total: 1190 1 K
Is funny because when watching the wwdc event in almost every video they expressed how "privacy" were one of their main focal points.

Sure privacy from everyone except Apple. I get the whole child abuse thing but don't understand how it seems these companies want to be able to know everything about you. Apple as well as Google.

+6   

2 months ago '09        #23
faceoffizhere 
Props total: 14080 14 K  Slaps total: 3662 3 K
 Sizzler01 said
apple doesnt really care about child abuse...
Notice how they taking away peoples privacy all under the guise of helping people which is false. Android next this is how they will get a hold of your device forever and shut you off hne you dont comply
+2   

2 months ago '14        #24
Sphynx 
Props total: 101258 101 K  Slaps total: 26683 26 K
Y’all scared they bout to find your kiddy diddling pictures
+3   

2 months ago '06        #25
ehizzy3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18886 18 K  Slaps total: 1462 1 K
 BigGVD said
Lotta bx weird boys sweating right now
That’s what I got reading the first 15 replies
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  23
Image(s) inside Apple Wallet is getting verifiable COVID-19 vaccination cards
45 comments
22 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+71online now  22
How to stretch a 8th for a week
142 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+21online now  19
Video inside This Teacher Out Here Tryna Catch A Case With One Of Her Students!
76 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+21online now  9
Sep 22 - HermanCainAward, the fast growing Subreddit Catalogs Anti-Vaxxer COVI..
401 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy