Aug 4 - Mexico Sues U.S. Gun Manufacturers for Arms Trafficking

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '21        #1
704 page views
21 comments

JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 11420 11 K  Slaps total: 1965 1 K
Aug 4 - Mexico Sues U.S. Gun Manufacturers for Arms Trafficking

By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO
Published: Aug. 4, 2021 at 11:56 AM CDT|Updated: 38 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Mexican government sued United States gun manufacturers and distributors Wednesday in U.S. federal court, arguing that their negligent and illegal commercial practices have unleashed tremendous bloodshed in Mexico.

The unusual lawsuit was filed in U.S. federal court in Boston. Among those being sued are some of the biggest names in guns, including: Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc.; Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Inc.; Beretta U.S.A. Corp.; Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, and Glock Inc. Another defendant is Interstate Arms, a Boston-area wholesaler that sells guns from all but one of the named manufacturers to dealers around the U.S.

The Mexican government argues that the companies know that their practices contribute to the trafficking of guns to Mexico and facilitate it. Mexico wants compensation for the havoc the guns have wrought in its country.

The Mexican government “brings this action to put an end to the massive damage that the Defendants cause by actively facilitating the unlawful trafficking of their guns to drug cartels and other criminals in Mexico,” the lawsuit said.

The government estimates that 70% of the weapons trafficked to Mexico come from the U.S., according to the Foreign Affairs Ministry. And that in 2019 alone, at least 17,000 homicides were linked to trafficked weapons.

Alejandro Celorio, legal advisor for the ministry, told reporters Wednesday that the damage caused by the trafficked guns would be equal to 1.7% to 2% of Mexico’s gross domestic product. The government will seek at least $10 billion in compensation, he said. Mexico’s GDP last year was more than $1.2 trillion.

“We don’t do it to pressure the United States,” Celorio said. “We do it so there aren’t deaths in Mexico.”

Ebrard said the lawsuit was another piece of the government’s efforts against guns. “The priority is that we reduce homicides,” he said. “We aren’t looking to change American laws.”

Mexico did not seek the advice of the U.S. government on the matter, but advised the U.S. Embassy before filing the lawsuit.

Steve Shadowen, the lead attorney representing Mexico, said that in the early 2000s about 30 U.S. cities brought similar litigation against gun manufacturers arguing that they should be responsible for increased police, hospitalization and other costs a*sociated with gun violence.

As some cities started winning, gun manufacturers went to Congress and got an immunity statute for the manufacturers. Shadowen said he believes that immunity doesn’t apply when the injury occurs outside the United States.

“The merits of the case are strongly in our favor and then we have to get around this immunity statute which we think we’re going to win,” he said. “That statute just simply doesn’t apply. It only applies when you’re in the United States.”

He said he believes it is the first time a foreign government has sued the gun manufacturers.

The sale of firearms is severely restricted in Mexico and controlled by the Defense Department. But thousands of guns are smuggled into Mexico by the country’s powerful drug cartels.

There were more than 36,000 murders in Mexico last year, and the toll has remained stubbornly high despite President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s pledge to pacify the country. Mexico’s nationwide murder rate in 2020 remained unchanged at 29 per 100,000 inhabitants. By comparison, the U.S. homicide rate in 2019 was 5.8 per 100,000.

In August 2019, a gunmen k*lled 23 people in an El Paso Walmart, including some Mexican citizens. At that time, Foreign Affairs Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said the government would explore its legal options. The government said Wednesday that recent rulings in U.S. courts contributed to its decision to file the lawsuit.

It cited a decision in California allowing a lawsuit against Smith & Wesson to move forward, a lawsuit filed last week against Century Arms related to a 2019 shooting in Gilroy, California, and the $33 million settlement reached by Remington with some of the families whose children were k*lled in the Newtown, Connecticut, mass school shooting.

visit this link https://www.kwtx.com/2021 .. fficking-toll/

I think people still remember when the U.S. government got caught red handed smuggling guns into mexico for the purpose of "tracking" them. It seems to me like an open and shut case.

What do yall think?
+6   

best
worst
21 comments

1 month ago '19        #2
aaf192020 
Props total: 41987 41 K  Slaps total: 4031 4 K

+7   

1 month ago '14        #3
Gottemscoped 
Props total: 4290 4 K  Slaps total: 1291 1 K
They run drugs for cash in exchange we give you guns fr that cash
+5   

1 month ago '16        #4
Stryder 
Props total: 1907 1 K  Slaps total: 397 397
I agree but gun lobby ain't gonna have this america can't even pass a background check law the republicans turn it into they trying to take your guns away I just know a couple of nuts that shouldnt have guns
+2   

1 month ago '07        #5
Damagegadget  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 56628 56 K  Slaps total: 7102 7 K
And people think democrats want to ban guns but forgot fast and furious
+6   

1 month ago '21        #6
Fras 
Props total: 3402 3 K  Slaps total: 3251 3 K
Its not the gun companies. Its the Obama and Biden administrations. Sue them. Fast and Furious.

Last edited by Fras; 08-04-2021 at 02:08 PM..

1 month ago '15        #7
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 58238 58 K  Slaps total: 8839 8 K
Maybe they should have better border security.
It’s not the companies fault cartels are running rampant and most the Mexican government are in bed with the cartels.

1 month ago '20        #8
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 38096 38 K  Slaps total: 7272 7 K
Are we turning a blind eye on gun runners & looking at it affects from the bottom up on the users who use those guns instead of the manufacturers & the slick boys on the top ?
+3   

1 month ago '15        #9
TheCompanyMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17747 17 K  Slaps total: 1583 1 K
It’s all happening

1 month ago '21        #10
JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
The government got caught red handed. I don't appreciate them sending all those guns over to mexico for financial profit giving the cartels the firepower to destroy the beautiful land where I'm from.
+3   

1 month ago '16        #11
BitterDiesel 
Props total: 18213 18 K  Slaps total: 2280 2 K
#OperationFastandFurious

Eric Holder..
+1   

1 month ago '21        #12
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17432 17 K  Slaps total: 3305 3 K
 Damagegadget said
And people think democrats want to ban guns but forgot fast and furious
I was coming in here to type that. Operation fast & furious, complete fu*k up

1 month ago '05        #13
Fauby  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34505 34 K  Slaps total: 3797 3 K
Canada should join the suit with Mexico.

Alot of the guns in Canada come through Detroit. The mass shooting in Nova Scotia last year, the guns were smuggled in from Detroit

1 month ago '20        #14
 JayMurdoch said
The government got caught red handed. I don't appreciate them sending all those guns over to mexico for financial profit giving the cartels the firepower to destroy the beautiful land where I'm from.
Y'all's favorite president was bamboozled again by wyte boys to run those guns

1 month ago '21        #15
JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
 Xiox said
Y'all's favorite president was bamboozled again by wyte boys to run those guns
Who's yall?

Every president can eat a fat aids infested d*ck if you ask me
+1   

1 month ago '16        #16
BMC1000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 26595 26 K  Slaps total: 4984 4 K
good

hope they win but i doubt it

they right

where thinking Chapo getting his guns from

damn sho not anything made in mexico

them gun companys kno what they doin

been dirty
+1   

1 month ago '20        #17
Bighempin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 8500 8 K  Slaps total: 1209 1 K
#IranContra!
+2   

1 month ago '20        #18
 Bighempin said
#IranContra!
Smells & looks like cia
+2   

1 month ago '16        #19
BitterDiesel 
 BMC1000 said
good

hope they win but i doubt it

they right

where thinking Chapo getting his guns from

damn sho not anything made in mexico

them gun companys kno what they doin

been dirty
it was a cache of guns discovered in cali a few years back.. I felt like he was a link to the sh*t especially his connects but.. they chalked it uo as he was a gun collector. he had some sh*t tho.

1 month ago '16        #20
BMC1000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 26595 26 K  Slaps total: 4984 4 K
 BitterDiesel said
it was a cache of guns discovered in cali a few years back.. I felt like he was a link to the sh*t especially his connects but.. they chalked it uo as he was a gun collector. he had some sh*t tho.
watch the movie Strapped

same exact sh*t and the movie came out in like 94

1 month ago '04        #21
deziking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30061 30 K  Slaps total: 3079 3 K
so atf gang?
+1   

1 month ago '16        #22
BitterDiesel 
 BitterDiesel said
 BMC1000 said
watch the movie Strapped

same exact sh*t and the movie came out in like 94
bet.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+42online now  51
Video inside Sniper Gang Artist Wiz Da Wizard k*lled In Florida
114 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  45
Image(s) inside Brian Pumper aka Michael Marcellus Felton Is Currently Looked Up On s*..
102 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+16online now  33
"Beat box" rapper spotemgotem SHOT 9 times
222 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  15
Sep 17 - Red states, unable to take care of the unvaccinated, now ask Blue sta..
134 comments
21 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy