Aug 3 - Five Miami Beach cops charged after pummeling two men in hotel lobby

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
53 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '04        #1
1649 page views
66 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x43
Props total: 15966 15 K  Slaps total: 1582 1 K
Aug 3 - Five Miami Beach cops charged after pummeling two men in hotel lobby

Five Miami Beach police officers were hit with criminal charges on Monday for using excessive force on a man in handcuffs and for pummeling a bystander who was videotaping the incident on his cellphone.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, with Miami Beach Police Chief Richard Clements at her side, announced the charges after showing a four-minute video clip in which 21 officers descend on a man they chased into a South Beach hotel, who is alleged to have hit an officer with his motor scooter.

In the video, one officer repeatedly kicks the handcuffed man in the head, before another officer picks him up and slams his head to the ground. A short while later a group of officers redirect their attention to a man videotaping the incident. He’s soon slammed into a concrete pillar, then repeatedly punched and elbowed in the head and rib cage while on the ground.

Charges against Khalid Vaughn, 28, of New York, who was arrested for using his cellphone camera, were dropped by Rundle’s office the same day as the arrest and almost as soon as Clements informed her of the videotape. Vaughn had been facing charges of impeding a police investigation and resisting arrest with violence.

“Excessive force can never, ever be an acceptable solution,” Fernandez Rundle said.

Said Clements: “We will learn from this and we will move on.”

Arrested Monday and charged with single counts of misdemeanor battery were Miami Beach Police Sgt. Jose Perez and officers Kevin Perez, Robert Sabater, Steven Serrano and David Rivas. The five turned themselves in at Miami Beach police headquarters earlier in the day, Clements said.

Fraternal Order of Police President Paul Ozeata said he hadn’t studied the video enough to comment on the actions of the officers who were arrested. He said all five turned themselves in at Miami Beach police headquarters Monday morning, where they were fingerprinted. And he said all were represented by FOP attorneys.

“They deserve their day in court, just as everyone else does,” said Ozeata.

Fernandez Rundle said charges against the officers from the July 26 incident at the Royal Palm Hotel could be upgraded. She wouldn’t speculate on whether any other officers would be charged, though the state attorney said the investigation into the incident was far from over.

The speed at which the officers were charged was unusual. And though arrests for alleged police misconduct by Fernandez Rundle’s office are fairly common, the state attorney has been criticized for not arresting an officer for a fatal shooting in almost three decades. The arrest of the officers also comes less than a year since massive protests broke out around the country over police brutality after the death of George Floyd.

The four-minute videotape shown by the state attorney was a compilation of extremely clear surveillance video from the lobby near a stack of elevators at the Royal Palm at 1545 Collins Ave., and police body-worn cameras. It was edited by the state attorney’s office.

The arrest of Vaughn and Dalonta Crudup, 24, was precipitated by a Beach officer approaching Crudup about his illegally parked motor scooter at 13th Street and Ocean Court. Police say Crudup took off and in the process hit one officer with his scooter and almost hit a second. The officer who was struck was hospitalized and is on crutches.

Crudup eventually ditched the bike and made his way into the Royal Palm lobby. Surveillance video picks him up there, racing into the middle elevator of three. But before the doors close, a Miami Beach police officer confronts him with his weapon drawn. Crudup gets out of the elevator as commanded and gets on the ground, his hands in the air, before he is handcuffed.

By then, 20 other cops had raced toward the front of the elevator, many surrounding Crudup on the ground. That’s when, Fernandez Rundle said, “the situation begins to change from criminal arrest to investigation of use-of-force.”

One officer is seen repeatedly kicking Crudup in the head. Another lifts him as he is cuffed and slams his head to the ground. Fernandez Rundle identified those officers as Kevin Perez and Jose Perez.

In the background, Vaughn can be seen in spotted shorts and dark T-shirt, videotaping the melee. Then the video changes to body-worn camera footage and Vaughn can be seen smiling as he is rushed by Sabater, who slams him into a column, then bear hugs Vaughn. Several officers join in and are seen punching and striking Vaughn in the head and in the rib cage as he is taken to the ground and handcuffed.

“We felt what he [Vaughn] was doing, was within his rights,” Fernandez Rundle said.

Attempts to reach Vaughn were unsuccessful. Crudup was charged with aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, fleeing and eluding police, aggravated a*sault on a police officer and resisting arrest with violence. His charges stand.

Clements said he contacted Fernandez Rundle’s office and Internal Affairs to begin an investigation almost as soon as he saw the video and suspended the officers. Fernandez Rundle said the chief was informed about the incident by someone on his command staff.

“This is why duty to intervene in training is necessary,” said the state attorney. “They did a grave disservice to the people they have sworn to serve.”

visit this link https://www.miamiherald.c .. 253191533.html
+3   

best
worst
66 comments

2 months ago '04        #2
patt24 
Props total: 12553 12 K  Slaps total: 1435 1 K
5?!?!?!!? Theres over a dozen in there that should be fired, charged, jailed and sued for whatever pension they had/have.
+34   

2 months ago '21        #3
ATMBEATZ 
Props total: 2927 2 K  Slaps total: 193 193
racist a*s cubans

latino for trump motha fu*kas

one of my neighbors became a cop and is hispanic also

he always on facebook with his police friends saying "shooting/hunting n**ggers" like legit u click profiles on the comments and all miami dade police officers in the open wilding lol

be safe...these hispanics trying to blend in and become white folks like the italians did with in the country ..mostly cubans lol
+45   

2 months ago '16        #4
J0011 
Props total: 751 751  Slaps total: 158 158
 ATMBEATZ said
racist a*s cubans

he always on facebook with his police friends saying "shooting/hunting n**ggers" like legit u click profiles on the comments and all miami dade police officers in the open wilding lol

be safe...these hispanics trying to blend in and become white folks like the italians did with in the country ..mostly cubans lol
Call him out
+7   

2 months ago '21        #5
ATMBEATZ 
Props total: 2927 2 K  Slaps total: 193 193
 J0011 said
Call him out
i should, but i feel like it'll come back to him some day

sh*t is public info if anything ever happens...i dont need police circling my block because they got called out ..i got kids too
+4   

2 months ago '08        #6
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 45167 45 K  Slaps total: 2554 2 K
They dumb as hell.

2 months ago '21        #7
Keithf87 
Props total: 11289 11 K  Slaps total: 657 657
 patt24 said
5?!?!?!!? Theres over a dozen in there that should be fired, charged, jailed and sued for whatever pension they had/have.
Gotta be the dumbest lookin criminals, every hotel in the world has cameras. Who forget to take the tape?

I wonder the excuse they used to not try them all. I would have went for THAT.

2 months ago '13        #8
mkhrt92 
Props total: 44901 44 K  Slaps total: 8410 8 K
Bro them cops came running out like fu*king roaches. I stopped counting after 12. fu*king cuban cowards. fu*k 5-0
+13   

2 months ago '16        #9
Funke  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 15622 15 K  Slaps total: 2596 2 K
 ATMBEATZ said
racist a*s cubans

Exactly this what Tariq Nasheed be talking about but, you still got lames who don't agree. At this point if you don't see the Anti-Black racism within this country, you must be practicing in it also.
+4   

2 months ago '18        #10
Rugby Jones  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 36778 36 K  Slaps total: 4848 4 K
1st thought was, Why they beat on a girl like THAT??
.....Oh my bad.

Good sh*t OP !

The way they rushed the 2nd dude was pure Gang mentality.
Nobody stopped or checked each other
fu*k'em All
Take all their jobs & $$$
+6   

2 months ago '18        #11
Rugby Jones  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 36778 36 K  Slaps total: 4848 4 K
 Funke said
Exactly this what Tariq Nasheed be talking about but, you still got lames who don't agree. At this point if you don't see the Anti-Black racism within this country, you must be practicing in it also.
Nasheed !!!????
You need better role models
You can't see his weak a*s game ?????
+1   

2 months ago '11        #12
bravo1914 
Props total: 3976 3 K  Slaps total: 481 481
He was already down with handcuffs but these bi*ch a*s n*ggas had to get a hit in.
+7   

2 months ago '20        #13
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 38126 38 K  Slaps total: 7276 7 K
We need the body cam to see the unprovoked beating of my bro Vaughn , cops escalated a situation over a damn scooter & beat up 2 negros for nothing

2 months ago '18        #14
TheLuminousOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 42434 42 K  Slaps total: 2275 2 K

+5   

2 months ago '20        #15
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 38126 38 K  Slaps total: 7276 7 K
Good thing the hotel released the video
+11   

2 months ago '15        #16
AmillionMo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 28088 28 K  Slaps total: 8076 8 K
 Xiox said
Good thing the hotel released the video
That's why they got arrested so fast.
+4   

2 months ago '16        #17
Funke  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 15622 15 K  Slaps total: 2596 2 K
 Rugby Jones said
Nasheed !!!????
You need better role models
You can't see his weak a*s game ?????

I won't argue about his legitmacy to his community, i will let the work do that. It speaks for it self. Watch this video to see for yourself.

2 months ago '15        #18
AmillionMo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 28088 28 K  Slaps total: 8076 8 K
All should get charged for not intervening. There were no good cops in this situation.

Last edited by AmillionMo; 08-03-2021 at 01:05 PM..
+6   

2 months ago '04        #19
skillahmang 
Props total: 57390 57 K  Slaps total: 11727 11 K
Miami cops super corrupt stay woke
+2   

2 months ago '20        #20
confidential1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 56842 56 K  Slaps total: 3090 3 K
 patt24 said
Fax…. Every cop that a*saulted either citizen should be arrested. Plus, the cops that watched the other cops use excessive force should be charged for not intervening or arresting the other cops breaking the law. This renders all the cops acting “in-concert” since some did nothing to stop the officers and did not report it after.

These cops are lucky Jonny Cochran is RIP
+1   

2 months ago '05        #21
Sizzler01  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 14346 14 K  Slaps total: 4972 4 K
why did they feel the need to pile up on dude like that.. it only takes 1 or 2 officers to put cuffs on someone who is not resisting...
+1   

2 months ago '13        #22
Kay Kuttah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 35922 35 K  Slaps total: 2245 2 K
Every cop in that video should be charged.
+1   

2 months ago '04        #23
ddash 
Props total: 48897 48 K  Slaps total: 3644 3 K
Smh and especially with the 2nd guy

Kill em all.I swear they started cloning cops in that video.They came outta nowhere smh

2 months ago '15        #24
treyhop11dp 
Props total: 167 167  Slaps total: 14 14

Get that money!!!
+1   

2 months ago '15        #25
Golgo13isDuke 
Props total: 101 101  Slaps total: 23 23
 ATMBEATZ said
i should, but i feel like it'll come back to him some day

sh*t is public info if anything ever happens...i dont need police circling my block because they got called out ..i got kids too
sometimes solders fall on their on swords....never snitch....just wait....
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+46online now  29
How The Air Jordan 1 High OG “Georgetown” Looks On-Feet
45 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+47online now  25
Article inside Dying Careers to Avoid
159 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+16online now  15
Karen Civil getting called out by Nipsey's people on Clubhouse, she's in atten..
389 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+214online now  7
cleveland is wild
133 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy