Sauce Money Talks Losing $4 Million Writing Puff Daddy’s “I’ll Be Missing You”

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '18        #1
1312 page views
30 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x107
Props total: 128990 128 K  Slaps total: 5733 5 K
Sauce Money Talks Losing $4 Million Writing Puff Daddy’s “I’ll Be Missing You”

"Back in 1997, Sean “Puff Daddy” Combs and Faith Evans scored a #1 hit on Billboard‘s Hot 100 chart with “I’ll Be Missing You” featuring 112. The collaboration was a tribute song dedicated to the late Christopher “The Notorious B.I.G.” Wallace.

“I’ll Be Missing You” sampled the classic 1983 record “Every Breath You Take” by the English rock band the Police. According to reports, Police singer/songwriter Sting still makes around $2,000 a day from “I’ll Be Missing You” because he is credited as the sole owner of the intellectual property.

Many of the central figures in the creation of “I’ll Be Missing You” were apparently left out of the song’s profits entirely. Veteran rapper Sauce Money (born Todd Gaither) recently spoke to Hip Hop News Uncensored about his role in the making of Puffy’s second chart-topping single.

“When I wrote ‘I’ll Be Missing You’ for Puff… what happened was, he did bad business with Sting. Meaning that, before he got clearance to use the record, he put the record out. So Sting came back and was like, ‘Okay, well since you used the record before you got clearance, I want all the publishing off the record,'” said Sauce Money.

The Middle Finger U album creator continued, “At the end of the day, Puff didn’t care because he was making the money off the physical sales. He had a single release and an album release, so he ate a few times off of that record. So it didn’t really matter to him.”

Sauce Money went on to talk about how much residual capital he supposedly lost because of “I’ll Be Missing You.” He stated, “I missed out on about $4 million… We did something as far as the publishing deal that I had which is why I never really went at Puff because we figured something out on that end.”

The 51-year-old New Yorker also added, “That song generates about $730,000 a year. So you figure 10% of that is $73,000 and 20% is $146,000. You multiply that by 24, 25. So if I had a problem with him, you could understand, right?”

Puff Daddy’s “I’ll Be Missing You” was one of the most successful songs of 1997. The No Way Out track spent 11 weeks at No. 1 which was a record for a Hip Hop act at the time. It also won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group and is presently certified 3x-Platinum by the Recording Industry a*sociation of America.

The Hype Williams-directed music video for “I’ll Be Missing You” was named Best R&B Video at the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards. Sting actually joined Puff Daddy on stage at that year’s VMAs for a show-stealing performance of the song which also featured Faith Evans, 112, a choir, and dancers."

visit this link https://allhiphop.com/new .. e-missing-you/
+8   

best
worst
30 comments

2 months ago '12        #2
Ethan Hunt  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x108
Props total: 98726 98 K  Slaps total: 6516 6 K
goddamn 4 mill?
+6   

2 months ago '04        #3
KidKingGoD 
Props total: 2645 2 K  Slaps total: 484 484
he talking in code how much yu getting from teh song fat boy? you hitting 400 lbs and I aint heard a record from u in eons so you must be eating pretty lovely.

2 months ago '06        #4
angelo noel 
Props total: 8532 8 K  Slaps total: 3602 3 K
One of the nicest n*ggas ever
+9   

2 months ago '11        #5
inthezone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 16712 16 K  Slaps total: 5600 5 K
I doubt that song generates $730k yearly in the 2020’s
Dont sleep on we will alwsys love big poppa
Both of them tracks were needed

Wish pac had tributes that good
I heard fatals and it was good but nearly on the same scale

2 months ago '19        #6
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 4020 4 K  Slaps total: 226 226
I feel like anyone could have wrote the song and it would have been a hit over that beat, tbh. Thats exactly why Sting owns the song.

But a man should get what he is owed. Hopefully he learned from that.
+5   

2 months ago '17        #7
International1 
Props total: 16773 16 K  Slaps total: 984 984
 inthezone said

I feel you on the 730k a year not being right. But that’s crazy if sting really makes 2k a day off that song. Sauce should’ve had his paperwork right fu*king with Diddy in his hey day. But I can’t fault him because Diddy was still in the process of jerking his earlier artist. That sh*t is like not getting an income tax check every year even though u filed lol
+4   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '21        #8
B46610  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4049 4 K  Slaps total: 3186 3 K
Diddy with another come up

2 months ago '04        #9
gimmethat 
Props total: 10485 10 K  Slaps total: 1153 1 K
 inthezone said

Mourn you til i join you >i´ll be missing you

2 months ago '21        #10
Still2Highh 
Props total: 7973 7 K  Slaps total: 755 755
Sauce one them dudes that could out rap most the game..but had no charisma to stand out as a artist.

Hope he eatin off ghostwriting for other artists

Last edited by Still2Highh; 08-02-2021 at 05:08 PM..
+5   

2 months ago '04        #11
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 13849 13 K  Slaps total: 3136 3 K
when a brother makes a buck a yt dude makes multiples. as long as sampling is a legitimate part of culture that aint gon change soon

2 months ago '04        #12
7twelve 
Props total: 37100 37 K  Slaps total: 8292 8 K
sting diddy'd diddy. birdman'd that n*gga

and still did the video with puff to lessen the blow. lol
+2   

2 months ago '19        #13
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 4020 4 K  Slaps total: 226 226
 7twelve said
sting diddy'd diddy. birdman'd that n*gga

and still did the video with puff to lessen the blow. lol
sh*t, Sting probably charged Puff to be in the video too
+2   

2 months ago '04        #14
7twelve 
 OaklandSmokin said
sh*t, Sting probably charged Puff to be in the video too
u may be write.

i knew sting was big but didnt know he was that big. i only know that one song about the red dress.

when that article came out about how much he made and is still making off just what diddy did, i said cot damn.

got jay jerked except sting said u can keep the awards, ill keep all the monies

i miss those skits NY n*ggas used to do
+2   

2 months ago '16        #15
southernsmoke90  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 51469 51 K  Slaps total: 6853 6 K
 KidKingGoD said
he talking in code how much yu getting from teh song fat boy? you hitting 400 lbs and I aint heard a record from u in eons so you must be eating pretty lovely.
I really hope you're a teenager or something what a weird response

2 months ago '15        #16
Hellmatic 
Props total: 43759 43 K  Slaps total: 4381 4 K
 7twelve said
u may be write.

i knew sting was big but didnt know he was that big. i only know that one song about the red dress.

when that article came out about how much he made and is still making off just what diddy did, i said cot damn.

got jay jerked except sting said u can keep the awards, ill keep all the monies

i miss those skits NY n*ggas used to do
He got juice wrld too for the same sample nas used in the message
+1   

2 months ago '18        #17
TheLuminousOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 43022 43 K  Slaps total: 2323 2 K
Money up front

2 months ago '04        #18
7twelve 
 Hellmatic said
He got juice wrld too for the same sample nas used in the message
did he get nas or was nas paperwork right?

i think i rmbr hearing about juice loosing everything from the record on here. i never hear juice music.

i heard pharrell losing tens of millions on Happy. not from sting but there was some kind of lawsuit

people use to use interpolation to get around paying for samples but ive heard people who have lost lawsuits even with that.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #19
hustlehard365 
Props total: 3270 3 K  Slaps total: 324 324
 International1 said
I feel you on the 730k a year not being right. But that’s crazy if sting really makes 2k a day off that song. Sauce should’ve had his paperwork right fu*king with Diddy in his hey day. But I can’t fault him because Diddy was still in the process of jerking his earlier artist. That sh*t is like not getting an income tax check every year even though u filed lol
Nothing was wrong with Sauce’s Paperwork.. Puff did bad business putting the song out without clearance. Doesn’t matter what paperwork Sauce had once you violate a copyright the owners wants supersedes everything else. Sting took the publishing as a result of Puff being careless
+4   

2 months ago '15        #20
Hellmatic 
Props total: 43759 43 K  Slaps total: 4381 4 K
 7twelve said

i think i rmbr hearing about juice loosing everything from the record on here. i never hear juice music.

i heard pharrell losing tens of millions on Happy. not from sting but there was some kind of lawsuit

people use to use interpolation to get around paying for samples but ive heard people who have lost lawsuits even with that.
I dont think he got nas. I a*sume he cleared the sample or else we wouldve heard about since sting wouldve took 100% of the royalties. Them dudes dont play, the guy who made bittersweet symphony back in the late 90s got sued for a short sample from the rolling stones. The rolling stones took all the royalties from the song and basically ended their career. Recently they let them collect royalties from the song but its too little too late. With juice wrld sting took the whole sh*t, he was bragging that he's gonna put his kids through college with the royalties. Sting don't really need that money like that tho to take the whole sh*t dude super rich. Juice world management fu*ked up not clearing it

Last edited by Hellmatic; 08-02-2021 at 07:21 PM..
+1   

2 months ago '04        #21
KidKingGoD 
 southernsmoke90 said
I really hope you're a teenager or something what a weird response
I really hope you eat a d*ck and learn to speak when talking to bi*ch nikka.

2 months ago '04        #22
KidKingGoD 
 7twelve said

NaS didn’t make that song a single because sting took all the publishing of the song on some G sh*t. Trackmaster’s admitted they got pillaged.

2 months ago '04        #23
7twelve 
 Hellmatic said
I dont think he got nas. I a*sume he cleared the sample or else we wouldve heard about since sting wouldve took 100% of the royalties. Them dudes dont play, the guy who made bittersweet symphony back in the late 90s got sued for a short sample from the rolling stones. The rolling stones took all the royalties from the song and basically ended their career. Recently they let them collect royalties from the song but its too little too late. With juice wrld sting took the whole sh*t, he was bragging that he's gonna put his kids through college with the royalties. Sting don't really need that money like that tho to take the whole sh*t dude super rich. Juice world management fu*ked up not clearing it
damn. thats wack when u pay a producer or you are signed to a label and neither of them do their due diligence to clear things and u gotta pay money to defend yourself
+1   

2 months ago '05        #24
CartelFamill 
Props total: 11798 11 K  Slaps total: 1395 1 K
 KidKingGoD said
Puff gave him about same Amount He missed 146k x 24 Years

2 months ago '20        #25
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 15916 15 K  Slaps total: 1071 1 K
 KidKingGoD said
This ain't the Medieval times; fatness doesn't equal wealth (or health for that matter).

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  43
Video inside This Teacher Out Here Tryna Catch A Case With One Of Her Students!
70 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  23
Video inside Premier Doug Fords Daughter follows up on her NWO rant and gives a warn..
56 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+68online now  22
How to stretch a 8th for a week
138 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+21online now  21
Sep 22 - HermanCainAward, the fast growing Subreddit Catalogs Anti-Vaxxer COVI..
401 comments
20 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy