Jay-Z Said He Was Better Than Biggie And Tupac And DMX Were Not Lyricists

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '20        #1
1037 page views
29 comments

Mobfiggaz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
Props total: 27841 27 K  Slaps total: 4141 4 K
Nas reveals Jay-Z Said He Was Better Than Biggie And Tupac And DMX Were Not Lyricists

Esco went on to allege that during a party thrown by Steve Stoute around 2000, J Camel said that he was a superior emcee to the late The Notorious B.I.G. and that DMX and Tupac only appealed to “starving street ni**as.”

“We were kickin’ it and he told me that he’s better than Biggie now,” Nas shared with FELON. “I looked at him like he was crazy. Then, he started telling me Memphis Bleek was a fan and that I shouldn’t go at him. He predicted that Beanie Sigel would never sell more than 600,000 copies. He said that Sauce Money was to him what Nature was to me.

Then, he really got crazy. He said that Tupac and DMX were not lyricists—they just had the hungry, starving street n*ggas coppin’ their sh*t—but me and him had all the money n*ggas buying ours. I told him that I disagreed with him—that Tupac was the greatest ever—period, and that DMX really brought that street sh*t back into the game.”

When asked about the root of his feud with J Camel, Nas speculated that it could be a number of things, but said that Camel needs to let it go. “I don’t know—I don’t know if it’s over a bi*ch, I don’t know if it’s over the joint I didn’t do with him, I don’t know if he’s trying to show me ‘I told you so’—meaning that he would be as successful or more successful as me—and if it’s that, it shouldn’t be because I never told him that he wouldn’t or that he couldn’t. All I know is that something is really bothering him and he needs to address it, release it, and get over it.”

While DMX would get wind of J Camels comments, exacerbating his disdain for the Brooklyn-bred rapper, the two would never engage in an all-out war like Nas and J Camel, which continues to captivate the public even 20 years later.

visit this link https://www.vibe.com/musi .. ts-1234624174/

@ronnie

Last edited by Mobfiggaz; 07-31-2021 at 01:12 PM..

best
worst
29 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '19        #2
Free my soul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 21951 21 K  Slaps total: 7808 7 K
He is

2 months ago '07        #3
tacuna 320 
Props total: 9523 9 K  Slaps total: 1418 1 K
 Free my soul said
He is

2 months ago '05        #4
Martel 
Props total: 7440 7 K  Slaps total: 1412 1 K
let it go fam it's 2021.

he coulda said it better but it's pretty truthful. and that's no diss to tupac and dmx at all but they weren't "lyricists (in a hip hop sense)" which made them so relatable. didn't have to get thru thousands of punchlines, double entendres and multisyllabic rhyming to get their message. very straightforward w/ the pen.

2 months ago '20        #5
Mobfiggaz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27 OP
 Martel said
let it go fam it's 2021.

he coulda said it better but it's pretty truthful. and that's no diss to tupac and dmx at all but they weren't "lyricists (in a hip hop sense)" which made them so relatable. didn't have to get thru thousands of punchlines, double entendres and multisyllabic rhyming to get their message. very straightforward w/ the pen.
That's such bullsh*t.

Lyricism definition - Lyricism is a quality that expresses deep feelings or emotions in an inspired work of art.

DMX does this to an amazing level. J Camel will never write something a song like Who We Be. You can take all the punchlines and double entendres in the world, that will never equal "I've been doing this for 19 years, n*ggas wanna f*ght me, f*ght these tears".

fu*k outta here. You don't even know what lyricism means. Being more technical does not make you a better lyricist.

In Cassidys recent interview he broke down the reason why although Eminem is better technically than a lot of people he's not a better lyricist because it doesn't sound good to peoples ears. There is an unnatural element to it. And it doesn't reach their hearts (my paraphrasing of his long rant).

Last edited by Mobfiggaz; 07-31-2021 at 02:02 PM..
+2   

2 months ago '05        #6
Martel 
Props total: 7440 7 K  Slaps total: 1412 1 K
 Mobfiggaz said
That's such bullsh*t.

Lyricism definition - Lyricism is a quality that expresses deep feelings or emotions in an inspired work of art.

DMX does this to an amazing level. J Camel will never write something a song like Who We Be. You can take all the punchlines and double entendres in the world, that will never equal "I've been doing this for 19 years, n*ggas wanna f*ght me, f*ght these tears".

fu*k outta here. You don't even know what lyricism means. Being more technical does not make you a better lyricist.

In Cassidys recent interview he broke down the reason why although Eminem is better technically than a lot of people he's not a better lyricist because he can't reach their hearts with his words(not his words, my simplification of his long rant).
when someone says a rapper is lyrical what is the first thing that pops up in your mind?
i guarantee you it's technical ability.... technical ability is what makes a lyricist. they study that sh*t. that's why i said in a hip hop sense. that's not a diss to dmx some ppl don't give a fu*k about punchlines and metaphors and sh*t. don't gotta be so emotional to get that..

2 months ago '17        #7
Obadiah1Verse18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 45503 45 K  Slaps total: 20142 20 K
 Martel said
let it go fam it's 2021.

DMX wasn’t a lyricist. Pac definitely was.

2 months ago '18        #8
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 67624 67 K  Slaps total: 5589 5 K
Not far fetched.

X and Pac were storytellers more than lyricists. Never got any ooos and aahs outta them flows, but the content was incredible still.

And he has every right to believe he was better than Big.

2 months ago '20        #9
 Martel said
when someone says a rapper is lyrical what is the first thing that pops up in your mind?
i guarantee you it's technical ability.... technical ability is what makes a lyricist. they study that sh*t. that's why i said in a hip hop sense. that's not a diss to dmx some ppl don't give a fu*k about punchlines and metaphors and sh*t. don't gotta be so emotional to get that..
Being technical is being technical, that word was always used for wordplay. But being able to convey lots of meaning with your words made you a lyricist. That's how I've always looked at it.

Kendrick isn't the most technical rapper, yet he's regarded as one of the best lyricists of our time. That's because people don't equate technical ability with lyricism although it does play a factor.

People say Drake is a great lyricist but hes not very technical either.

Last edited by Mobfiggaz; 07-31-2021 at 01:37 PM..

2 months ago '18        #10
TheLuminousOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 42238 42 K  Slaps total: 2255 2 K
 Free my soul said
He is
I concur
+1   

2 months ago '19        #11
World Wide Pleb 
Props total: 6198 6 K  Slaps total: 879 879
Jay has always been overrated to me so I am extremely far from a fan of his.............but he is right

And in all honesty if BIG never died, he'd have been at the level of Outlawz nowadays (in terms of career, longevity, popularity etc), whereas Jay-Z woulda still become what Jay-Z is today

2 months ago '21        #12
Puddingpops  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 1412 1 K  Slaps total: 153 153
i’m going to sing at your funeral, punk motherfu*ker with big d*ck sucking lips you trick a*s n*gga, how you going to be Hawaiian Sophie one year, then tough a*s mob the next year, if my memory ain’t bad you about the business, bang you dead

2 months ago '18        #13
Seymour Witty  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 13655 13 K  Slaps total: 2023 2 K
 Martel said
let it go fam it's 2021.

Lord God said
Not far fetched.

X and Pac were storytellers more than lyricists. Never got any ooos and aahs outta them flows, but the content was incredible still.

And he has every right to believe he was better than Big.
hip hop heads are such pretentious snobs

/thread
if you're still arguing after this, you're telling me you know what the definition of a word means more than the dictionary
+1   

2 months ago '18        #14
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 67624 67 K  Slaps total: 5589 5 K
 Seymour Witty said
hip hop heads are such pretentious snobs

/thread
if you're still arguing after this, you're telling me you know what the definition of a word means more than the dictionary
Hip Hop doesn't even use the dictionarys explanation of terms.

In the 80s, freestyle meant improvisational "off-top" lyrics. You think that's the case with Kendricks "Backseat Freestyle"? LOL

Lyricism today is about metaphors, punchline, creativity, etc.
+3   

2 months ago '20        #15
Trueballer718 
Props total: 3644 3 K  Slaps total: 682 682
Jayz is the goat . He knew he was 25 years ago . Stood the test of time

2 months ago '18        #16
 Lord God said
Hip Hop doesn't even use the dictionarys explanation of terms.

In the 80s, freestyle meant improvisational "off-top" lyrics. You think that's the case with Kendricks "Backseat Freestyle"? LOL

Lyricism today is about metaphors, punchline, creativity, etc.
what?

Original definition

In the book How to Rap, Big Daddy Kane and Myka 9 note that originally a freestyle was a spit on no particular subject – Big Daddy Kane said, "in the ’80s when we said we wrote a freestyle rap, that meant that it was a rhyme that you wrote that was free of style... it's basically a rhyme just bragging about yourself."[7] Myka 9 adds, "back in the day freestyle was bust[ing] a rhyme about any random thing, and it was a written rhyme or something memorized".[6] Divine Styler says: "in the school I come from, freestyling was a non-conceptual written rhyme... and now they call freestyling off the top of the head, so the era I come from it's a lot different".
it's literally the opposite order of how you described it
both definitions are literally on the wikipedia

"metaphors, punchlines"
that's elements of lyricism, not all it consists of

"creativity"
this was always valued, try again

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '20        #17
MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 19059 19 K  Slaps total: 3404 3 K
Who was biting whose lyrics, tho?

Oh, okay.
+1   

2 months ago '20        #18
Big Bad Cobra  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 7894 7 K  Slaps total: 769 769
If Biggie had time to grow and evolve like jayz did, it would have been crazy

Goat Biggie
+1   

2 months ago '18        #19
 Mobfiggaz said
That's such bullsh*t.

In Cassidys recent interview he broke down the reason why although Eminem is better technically than a lot of people he's not a better lyricist because it doesn't sound good to peoples ears. There is an unnatural element to it. And it doesn't reach their hearts (my paraphrasing of his long rant).
jay-z is absolutely a lyricist but he doesn't have pain in his music the way X does
but it's X, nobody beats him in that department

you have the right idea for the most part but cassidy's idea of lyricism is also narrow-lensed
his point was that his lyrics are more conversational than an eminem, which is true
but cassidy is also obsessed with technicality and all this other weirdo sh*t that's prioritized by the other users on this thread
+1   

2 months ago '11        #20
Da Truth23  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 21125 21 K  Slaps total: 2975 2 K
Y’allpost new sh*t but say the same sh*t. At this point it’s understood. Y’all n*ggas don’t like Hov. Move on.
+1   

2 months ago '18        #21
Emoneybags 
Props total: 316 316  Slaps total: 40 40
 Obadiah1Verse18 said
DMX wasn’t a lyricist. Pac definitely was.
Tupac was definitely not a lyricist, at least in the traditional sense. He was more of a poet of anything.

2 months ago '04        #22
skillahmang 
Props total: 57381 57 K  Slaps total: 11727 11 K
DSL’s

2 months ago '19        #23
King Chaos 
Props total: 6514 6 K  Slaps total: 2578 2 K
X and Pac weren't Lyrical but their music had substance, something Jay's music lacked
+1   

2 months ago '20        #24
 Seymour Witty said
jay-z is absolutely a lyricist but he doesn't have pain in his music the way X does
but it's X, nobody beats him in that department

you have the right idea for the most part but cassidy's idea of lyricism is also narrow-lensed
his point was that his lyrics are more conversational than an eminem, which is true
but cassidy is also obsessed with technicality and all this other weirdo sh*t that's prioritized by the other users on this thread
I agree that Cassidy doesn't exactly live what he preaches. If you listen to an interview from him you would think he was the greatest rapper ever. Yeah he's good but his rhymes can also sound a little too technical and weird.

2 months ago '20        #25
ProfessionalDon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 25854 25 K  Slaps total: 4485 4 K
When I was younger I would argue Jay was a better lyricist

But now I am older to me Pac, X, Cam, Biggie are better lyricists than Jay

Jays music has not aged well

Substance does not make your music timeless, everything has to come together, lyrics, flow, delivery. You can't have one without the other. Pac and X had it all.

Last edited by ProfessionalDon; 07-31-2021 at 04:29 PM..

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+42online now  60
Video inside Sniper Gang Artist Wiz Da Wizard k*lled In Florida
115 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+16online now  25
"Beat box" rapper spotemgotem SHOT 9 times
222 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  23
Image(s) inside Brian Pumper aka Michael Marcellus Felton Is Currently Looked Up On s*..
103 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  14
Candyman just hit the internet via Amazon Prime and iykyk
123 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy