Jul 30 - Web designer who refused to create gay couples' websites denied appeal

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
44 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '15        #1
2455 page views
116 comments

Top Goon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x179
Props total: 148658 148 K  Slaps total: 18331 18 K
Jul 30 - Web designer who refused to create gay couples' websites denied appeal

Colorado web designer has lost her challenge to Colorado's anti-discrimination law in a suit she filed against the state because she didn't want to design wedding websites for gay couples.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver on Monday rejected the appeal from business owner Lorie Smith of 303 Creative, according to court documents. Smith filed a pre-enforcement challenge to Coloradoís Anti-Discrimination Act (CADA), which restricts a business from refusing to provide services based on a customerís identity, in preparation to expand her business services to include wedding websites.

Smith argued that while she has clients of all gender identities, it's against her religion to promote same-s*x marriage, and therefore doesn't want to be forced to make them for gay couples, court documents state.

"I will not be able to create websites for same-s*x marriages or any other marriage that is not between one man and one woman," Smith said, according to the documents. "Doing that would compromise my Christian witness and tell a story about marriage that contradicts Godís true story of marriage."

A judge's ruling said that Smith's arguments do not supersede Colorado's anti-discrimination law, CNN notes.

Phillips appealed after being told by Colorado's Civil Rights Commission that he had to adhere to CADA, regardless of his religious views. The Supreme Court ultimately found in a 2018 decision that the state's enforcement of CADA was a violation of Philips's First Amendment rights.

In June, Philips was fined $500 for denying an order for a gender-transition cake on the grounds that he violated CADA.

visit this link https://thehill.com/homen .. -denied-appeal
+7   

best
worst
116 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 72811 72 K  Slaps total: 5284 5 K
Do your job and move on
+17   

2 months ago '16        #3
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 80097 80 K  Slaps total: 10887 10 K
 Ifeellikekobe said
Do your job and move on
Exactly there isn't a fu*king word in the Bible about websites people are way too self-important in this country
+9   

2 months ago '20        #4
gdaze  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2840 2 K  Slaps total: 851 851
as a private company could she have just denied service for some other reason?

if your not wearing a mask type sh*t? or no vax no service ? if companies can do that why not this?
+37   

2 months ago '11        #5
Anti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 50549 50 K  Slaps total: 3850 3 K
 gdaze said

if your not wearing a mask type sh*t? or no vax no service ? if companies can do that why not this?
Not in a state with anti-discrimination laws you can get sued for denying someone service for s*xual orientation, race, disability.etc
+14   

2 months ago '20        #6
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 68057 68 K  Slaps total: 3639 3 K
Somethings missing gotta read up on this.
Was she working for herself or a company?

If for herself I have no idea how she can be forced to make a website for anyone.

Doubt they can make a law that says private business has no control over who it chooses as patrons.
+10   

2 months ago '20        #7
 Anti said
Not in a state with anti-discrimination laws you can get sued for denying someone service for s*xual orientation, race, disability.etc
So what if she just said ďI donít want to do itĒ?

If she never mentioned all that extra sh*t and just denied service she would not have had a lawsuit?
+14   

2 months ago '18        #8
ordoabchao 
Props total: 24173 24 K  Slaps total: 5160 5 K
 gdaze said

She/He was too busy doubling down on her own beliefs trying to make a statement ....

The problem with people with supposedly strong beliefs is that they spend way too much time trying to double down on their feelings making meaningless points to the wrong people..

Last edited by ordoabchao; 07-30-2021 at 08:41 PM..
+14   

2 months ago '11        #9
Anti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 50549 50 K  Slaps total: 3850 3 K
 Gen Anti Fruit said
So what if she just said ďI donít want to do itĒ?

If she never mentioned all that extra sh*t and just denied service she would not have had a lawsuit?
Thatís how itís usually handled most of the time itís just denied without reason or booking issues.
She decided to go OD and express her reasoning which is beyond stupid lol
+18   

2 months ago '20        #10
 Anti said
Thatís how itís usually handled most of the time itís just denied without reason or booking issues.
She decided to go OD and express her reasoning which is beyond stupid lol
Bet she knows now
+8   

2 months ago '14        #11
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 149556 149 K  Slaps total: 34545 34 K
biden's america ?

2 months ago '17        #12
KINGMFCOLD  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4954 4 K  Slaps total: 724 724
 strungout said
biden's america ?
Stfu. America been on that gay sh*t way before Biden was ever in office. Read a damn book
+11   

2 months ago '17        #13
LegendaryLegend  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19389 19 K  Slaps total: 4462 4 K
 Top Goon said
A judge's ruling said that Smith's arguments do not supersede Colorado's anti-discrimination law, CNN notes.
What? Colorado law isn't superseded by the fu*king 1st Amendment?! n*gga what??

fu*k that f*g**t judge

2 months ago '16        #14
MadMarlo 
Props total: 18922 18 K  Slaps total: 3801 3 K
Take it to the Supreme Court.

She will win

People can't force you to do business with them.

She's not some state employee that has to follow some legal protocol
+10   

2 months ago '19        #15
Excalibur 
Props total: 3004 3 K  Slaps total: 188 188
If she was muslim she will be excused. No one fu*ks eith the muslims and their faith
+7   

2 months ago '06        #16
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34337 34 K  Slaps total: 4816 4 K
 Ifeellikekobe said
Do your job and move on
 Boogersugar said
Exactly there isn't a fu*king word in the Bible about websites people are way too self-important in this country
I donít agree with this viewÖ if the designer doesnít want to do it they shouldnít have to. Itís her business and choice to turn down money.

I donít agree with their view but end of the day if I try to give someone my business and they donít want it Iím not about to go to the courts.. Iím gonna take my business elsewhere.
+11   

2 months ago '14        #17
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 149556 149 K  Slaps total: 34545 34 K
 KINGMFCOLD said
Stfu. America been on that gay sh*t way before Biden was ever in office. Read a damn book
Lol I know that it was sarcasm

2 months ago '13        #18
SimpinAintEz 
Props total: 46575 46 K  Slaps total: 9787 9 K
 LegendaryLegend said
What? Colorado law isn't superseded by the fu*king 1st Amendment?! n*gga what??

fu*k that f*g**t judge

As a business, you donít have the right to discriminate against your customers on the basis of race, s*x, s*xual orientation, etc.

Yíall think the 1st Amendment is some ďget out of jail freeĒ card to say whatever tf you want without consequence.
+3   

2 months ago '13        #19
SimpinAintEz 
 bigkilla said
I donít agree with this viewÖ if the designer doesnít want to do it they shouldnít have to. Itís her business and choice to turn down money.

I donít agree with their view but end of the day if I try to give someone my business and they donít want it Iím not about to go to the courts.. Iím gonna take my business elsewhere.
Yeah right, youíre just holding this stance because you happen to agree with the business owner in this particular case of discrimination.

Let your a*s walk into a place of business and get refused service on the basis of your skin color or who you choose to fu*k and watch how quick you stop downplaying discrimination.
+3   

2 months ago '16        #20
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 80097 80 K  Slaps total: 10887 10 K
 bigkilla said

If I had the choice not to pitch in on the roads leading to their store, the utilities they rely on, the emergency services that keep them and their business safe... if I could opt out of supporting them that'd be fair but I can't...

2 months ago '20        #21
gdaze  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2840 2 K  Slaps total: 851 851
 Anti said

2 months ago '06        #22
nightmare  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 5960 5 K  Slaps total: 221 221
 bigkilla said
I don’t agree with this view… if the designer doesn’t want to do it they shouldn’t have to. It’s her business and choice to turn down money.

I don’t agree with their view but end of the day if I try to give someone my business and they don’t want it I’m not about to go to the courts.. I’m gonna take my business elsewhere.
this sh*t is a slippery slope, if these laws werent in place, it wouldnt stop at gay
+7   

2 months ago '05        #23
SquirrelXss 
Props total: 8665 8 K  Slaps total: 2568 2 K
 MadMarlo said
Take it to the Supreme Court.

She will win

People can't force you to do business with them.

She's not some state employee that has to follow some legal protocol

2 months ago '05        #24
SquirrelXss 
Props total: 8665 8 K  Slaps total: 2568 2 K
 SimpinAintEz said
As a business, you don’t have the right to discriminate against your customers on the basis of race, s*x, s*xual orientation, etc.

Y’all think the 1st Amendment is some “get out of jail free” card to say whatever tf you want without consequence.
You do if yo dont receive govt funds.

Walk your a*s into a motorcycle club and see what happens

2 months ago '13        #25
SimpinAintEz 
 SquirrelXss said
You do if yo dont receive govt funds.

Walk your a*s into a motorcycle club and see what happens
My n*gga, a motorcycle club is not a fu*kin place of business. Itís a gotdamn social group. Stop reachin.
+10   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+42online now  23
How The Air Jordan 1 High OG ďGeorgetownĒ Looks On-Feet
45 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+16online now  23
Karen Civil getting called out by Nipsey's people on Clubhouse, she's in atten..
388 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+47online now  20
Article inside Dying Careers to Avoid
157 comments
24 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+212online now  12
cleveland is wild