LA Mayor Eric Garcetti Signs Ordinance Criminalizing Homelessness After City Council Vote

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section wild 'ish

2 months ago '07        #1
6670 page views
225 comments

Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x109
Props total: 237132 237 K  Slaps total: 21268 21 K
LA Mayor Eric Garcetti Signs Ordinance Criminalizing Homelessness After City Council Vote

@OnlyFactz100

The mayor of Los Angeles signed an ordinance Thursday making it unlawful for people to "sit, lie, sleep" or otherwise situate their belongings in the "public right of way" - a law that will almost exclusively disenfranchise the unhoused population of LA.

According to the official action, Mayor Eric Garcetti had until August 9 to act. He signed a day after the Los Angeles City Council voted in favor of the ordinance 13-2, as mentioned in a previous Insider article.

The ordinance goes into effect 30 days from signing, CBS LA reported. Garcetti did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

The ordinance restricts "sitting, lying, or sleeping or storing, using, maintaining, or placing personal property in the public right-of-way." The measure makes it illegal to sit, lie, sleep, or set up encampments within 500 feet from "sensitive use" properties, such as schools, parks, and libraries, and other areas such as "overpasses, underpasses, freeway ramps, tunnels, bridges, pedestrian bridges, subways, washes, spreading grounds, or active railways."
The ordinance also makes it illegal to sit, lie, sleep, or set up encampments within 1,000 feet of or on a "street, sidewalk, or other public right-of-way."

LA residents and organizations have posted their grievances and opposition to the ordinance on Twitter, and have made plans to camp outside of Garcetti's house in protest.

Mike Bonin, one of two city council members who voted against the ordinance, noted during the vote that the city only has enough shelter beds for 39% of the unhoused population.

"What about the other 61%?" Bonin asked.
Bonin shared his own story of being unhoused during the meeting.

"Some of those nights I slept in the car, some of those nights, when my car was in the shop, I slept on the beach. I cannot tell you how much turmoil is in your heart when the sun is setting and you don't know where to sleep," he said, according to Spectrum News.

"I cannot tell you how demoralizing and dehumanizing and defeating that experience is when you don't know where you're going to sleep."
He said the ordinance tells people where they cannot sleep, but it doesn't tell them where they can sleep.

"That's what it comes down to for me ... where can people go, where can people sleep when they do not have an alternative," Bonin said.

visit this link https://www.yahoo.com/new .. 032041623.html
+27   

best
worst
225 comments

2 months ago '20        #2
OnlyFactz100  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 88341 88 K  Slaps total: 9623 9 K
Never thought I'd see the day. I'm 50/50 when it comes to this topic but the question is, where will they eventually go?
+66   

2 months ago '17        #3
Obadiah1Verse18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 45670 45 K  Slaps total: 20427 20 K
Notice they are criminalizing homelessness a DAY before the eviction moratorium is set to expire and MILLIONS could be left homeless.
+173   

2 months ago '08        #4
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 45187 45 K  Slaps total: 2558 2 K
Insane it can be illegal to be broke
+106   

2 months ago '04        #5
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 13849 13 K  Slaps total: 3136 3 K
 cohs said
illegal? its a SIN

you are a sinner if you dont have paper in a capitalist society
+68   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '19        #6
GetYaCoinsKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 46651 46 K  Slaps total: 8135 8 K
 xbossxplayax said
illegal? its a SIN

you are a sinner if you dont have paper in a capitalist society
Man someone posted an interesting meme the other day and i forgot to save it,
It said something along the lines of capitalism being religion, Paper being God etc.
+28   

2 months ago '13        #7
vandalizm 
Props total: 13971 13 K  Slaps total: 1733 1 K
 OnlyFactz100 said
Never thought I'd see the day. I'm 50/50 when it comes to this topic but the question is, where will they eventually go?
Bakersfield

Lol

Nah for real though

I believe when all that Echo Park sh*t was going down they passed some laws or allocated budget for housing for homeless they just have to follow the rules and will have shelter.

There are a lot of mentally disturbed and old people and people that fell on hard times. I hope they can get in and get the help they need.

There is also a lot of fools out there on a sick one that chose $5 grams of crystal over participating in society. For real. You walk by those fools are geeked up fixing bikes listening to music drinking beer - for these people I have less compassion for....

They can take their tweeker a*ses on
+33   

2 months ago '20        #8
OnlyFactz100  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 88341 88 K  Slaps total: 9623 9 K
 vandalizm said
I believe when all that Echo Park sh*t was going down they passed some laws or allocated budget for housing for homeless they just have to follow the rules and will have shelter.

There are a lot of mentally disturbed and old people and people that fell on hard times. I hope they can get in and get the help they need.

There is also a lot of fools out there on a sick one that chose $5 grams of crystal over participating in society. For real. You walk by those fools are geeked up fixing bikes listening to music drinking beer - for these people I have less compassion for....

They can take their tweeker a*ses on
That's what a lot of people don't understand. It's not only economic but people fail to take responsibility for their own faults. It's not an exaggeration neither. Living in LA you see this every day where it becomes tiring. They eventually become intolerant and violent. A lot of them came from out of state too where they've taken advantage of the more laxed restrictions for so long.
+21   

2 months ago '07        #9
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x109 OP
Props total: 237132 237 K  Slaps total: 21268 21 K
@

+3   

2 months ago '18        #10
OLITO 
Props total: 4226 4 K  Slaps total: 1880 1 K
this is good for the future generalization where it is taught while kids are still living with their parents that it is in fact a crime to not be financially responsible..

for the current homeless it would be unfair to now put them in jail...something needs to be done with the current homeless population and i dont think jail is the correct answer for them, though it is the correct answer if that makes sense..

fwiw i do agree that homeless should be a crime..

2 months ago '04        #11
jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x43
Props total: 16338 16 K  Slaps total: 1607 1 K
 Avon_Barksdale said
@

All you got to do is mention it and I’ll delete it. It’s deleted.
+2   

2 months ago '15        #12
Tully Blanchard 
Props total: 133266 133 K  Slaps total: 5552 5 K
Have they tried to pass any legislation to actually help fix the problem?
+34   

2 months ago '15        #13
Tully Blanchard 
Props total: 133266 133 K  Slaps total: 5552 5 K
 OnlyFactz100 said
Might ship em out to San Bernardino
+11   

2 months ago '08        #14
MotorBoat Jones 
Props total: 5502 5 K  Slaps total: 499 499
Every time I walk around in the city and I smell p*ss and trash can juice .... Im like .." this sh*t is ridiculous " ...

But rather than just sweeping people off the streets. What's the bigger comprehensive plan ?
+20   

2 months ago '04        #15
nwo504 
Props total: 15115 15 K  Slaps total: 2365 2 K
LA gotta clean up before the Olympics
+35   

2 months ago '18        #16
back1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 10315 10 K  Slaps total: 4095 4 K
Use tax and weed dollars to build a massive facility to house homeless. Provide health and drug care, help them get stable jobs and housing. Then they can leave. They cannot leave without proof of permanent housing and work verified by a case worker. Or they can stay or they can be taken outside the city lines.

That’s the only solution
+20   

2 months ago '05        #17
bi0  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 29170 29 K  Slaps total: 2533 2 K
Soon as niccaz started selling they a*s
On the set it was time to start locking. Niccaz back up.they better off back in jail then embarrassing they hood.

2 months ago '04        #18
strat 
Props total: 3821 3 K  Slaps total: 731 731
 Tully Blanchard said
Have they tried to pass any legislation to actually help fix the problem?
So much. There is also a judges order that we have to provide shelter for all unhoused under freeways etc.

Its a tough situation tho. There are literally streets downtown you cant walk down anymore due to encampments, and I aint talking skid row. But like spring, hill, and broadway. sh*t you could barely walk down some parts of Wilshire. But you just cant lock people up. Lots of these people tho refuse shelter when offered because it has sobriety conditions and a curfew.
+20   

2 months ago '18        #19
A Cold Game 
Props total: 20326 20 K  Slaps total: 2687 2 K
sh*t ain’t right man…

I don’t understand how something like this is passed without a real solution to the problem. These people aren’t out here by choice…

Crime going up for sure after this …

Not right
+4   

2 months ago '14        #20
guccibandana 
Props total: 4732 4 K  Slaps total: 1097 1 K

+5   

2 months ago '18        #21
Capodecina  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31763 31 K  Slaps total: 2382 2 K
If this goes into effect without opposition, the question of enforcement comes into play.
+3   

2 months ago '09        #22
abstruse 
Props total: 4291 4 K  Slaps total: 803 803
that's fu*ked up
+3   

2 months ago '06        #23
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 27225 27 K  Slaps total: 6266 6 K
 cohs said
Born and raised in LA here… the VAST majority of the homeless population are not living in the streets because they’re broke. They’re in the streets because of severe mental illness or drug addiction. You see them everywhere… it’s pretty sad. They’re talking to themselves, shooting up drugs in the middle of sidewalks in broad daylight, setting trash cans on fire for no reason, throwing trash everywhere… they need mental health treatment and services to help them find jobs and housing. Unfortunately these same people are also a threat to normal civilians. Many robberies are committed by them and their feces and p*ss are everywhere… people are getting sick of them moving into their neighborhoods. It’s just not safe. I feel bad for them but at the same time, I totally get this law and can’t say I disagree after all I’ve seen.
+47   

2 months ago '06        #24
king kum  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 6982 6 K  Slaps total: 1577 1 K
 OnlyFactz100 said
The desert. Los Angeles is going to be more expensive than the Bay in the next 5 years. Gentrification is real out here. These white folks want Los Angeles back,they don't want to sit in traffic anymore they want to ride their bikes to work and catch a lyft or an Uber on weekends to the wineries.

Last edited by king kum; 08-01-2021 at 05:06 AM..
+14   

2 months ago '17        #25
Drewsmit 
Props total: 21643 21 K  Slaps total: 2949 2 K
Homeless people jacked out the matrix
+4   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+66online now  16
Denzel as Macbeth, directed by a coen brother. (Featuring a trailer)
120 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+91online now  10
Damn joy Taylor looks good today on the herd
155 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+78online now  6
Video inside T.I. On The Late Shawty Lo's Hit Song "Dey Know"