DJ Premier Explains How Westside Gunn Can Rap Without Drums On The Beat

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '18        #1
2274 page views
45 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x107
Props total: 129530 129 K  Slaps total: 5737 5 K
DJ Premier Explains How Westside Gunn Can Rap Without Drums On The Beat

"Westside Gunn’s penchant for rapping without certain elements caught the attention of one of Hip Hop’s greatest producers in DJ Premier. Thanks to fellow producer Brady Watt, Premo and the Griselda hitter join forces for “The Narcissist,” where Gunn continues Griselda’s tradition of rapping without drums (at least for the first verse) to express his wealth and more.

“This one was more of me listening to Brady’s direction and vision,” Premier said. “I felt like it needed some drums for the DJ’s to blend into their mixes. In typical Westside Gunn fashion, the drums were kept out until the first verse, and hook were laid; so it could build up. I sprinkled in some outro scratches and it was sewn up. Visually, I was amazed at how accurately the video accurately depicts the lyrics.”

Added Watt, “DJ Premier deemed it worthy enough to send to the one and only, Westside Gunn, who is and has been my favorite artist out for a minute now. Preem reached out to Gunn and he laced two verses, and the hook same night. I couldn’t even believe it. At first, I intended it to be a drumless joint (in Griselda fashion), but Preem insisted he put drums on it AND a classic scratch hook using vocals from none other than Benny the Butcher and Conway the Machine.”

The collaboration between Gunn and Premier is their third in recent years including 2019’s “Headlines” and “Shawn vs. Flair” from Gunn’s 2020 album Pray 4 Paris.

Stream “The Narcissist” from DJ Premier and Westside Gunn above."

visit this link https://hiphopdx.com/news .. ms-on-the-beat
+27   

best
worst
45 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
Usukaz2 
Props total: 3623 3 K  Slaps total: 549 549
Killah Priest and Willie the Kid been doing that for years!!! Griselda whole sound comes from "Stroke of death" off of Supreme Clientele
+61   

2 months ago '12        #3
OGpremo 
Props total: 16604 16 K  Slaps total: 2112 2 K
 Usukaz2 said
Killah Priest and Willie the Kid been doing that for years!!! Griselda whole sound comes from "Stroke of death" off of Supreme Clientele
Dawg lol… You right.
+11   

2 months ago '09        #4
LOONATIK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 44577 44 K  Slaps total: 5656 5 K
Gunn a monster with the sh*t
+11   

2 months ago '11        #5
GrindPOWER$  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 69724 69 K  Slaps total: 13015 13 K
its been done tho right not taking props away from Gunn but i heard dudes just rhyme on strings or just piano

but all Gunn does is shoutout designers and guns

40 glock under the Fendi ski coat
most rappers rap dope but never seen dope.
+21   

2 months ago '18        #6
BlaqThum 
Props total: 12948 12 K  Slaps total: 827 827
 Usukaz2 said
Those willie the kid Dj drama tapes are classics… I’m tryna find that one with the 2 trac song but I can’t find it no where
+5   

2 months ago '06        #7
datVAkid 
Props total: 35322 35 K  Slaps total: 5769 5 K
 Eclectic said

"Westside Gunn’s penchant for rapping without certain elements caught the attention of one of Hip Hop’s greatest producers in DJ Premier. Thanks to fellow producer Brady Watt, Premo and the Griselda hitter join forces for “The Narcissist,” where Gunn continues Griselda’s tradition of rapping without drums (at least for the first verse) to express his wealth and more.

“This one was more of me listening to Brady’s direction and vision,” Premier said. “I felt like it needed some drums for the DJ’s to blend into their mixes. In typical Westside Gunn fashion, the drums were kept out until the first verse, and hook were laid; so it could build up. I sprinkled in some outro scratches and it was sewn up. Visually, I was amazed at how accurately the video accurately depicts the lyrics.”

Added Watt, “DJ Premier deemed it worthy enough to send to the one and only, Westside Gunn, who is and has been my favorite artist out for a minute now. Preem reached out to Gunn and he laced two verses, and the hook same night. I couldn’t even believe it. At first, I intended it to be a drumless joint (in Griselda fashion), but Preem insisted he put drums on it AND a classic scratch hook using vocals from none other than Benny the Butcher and Conway the Machine.”

The collaboration between Gunn and Premier is their third in recent years including 2019’s “Headlines” and “Shawn vs. Flair” from Gunn’s 2020 album Pray 4 Paris.

Stream “The Narcissist” from DJ Premier and Westside Gunn above."

we really need an article to explain how a man can rap with out drums on a beat?

Thats like asking a drummer how can he drum with out drums on a beat... its called having rhythm, da fu*k
+22   

2 months ago '21        #8
BigChiefLA 
Props total: 3032 3 K  Slaps total: 837 837
I’m laughing like a mufu*ka. Gunn that n*gga now. Let’s just appreciate him. It’s his time. Everyone had their respective times. Let’s not compare and break down his sh*t to critique. Everyone was inspired by someone.
+16   

2 months ago '16        #9
B86 
Props total: 16971 16 K  Slaps total: 3623 3 K
WSG raps with the same cadence, same bar structure, damn near the same lyrics on every track...I'm sure he can easily spit his bars with ZERO beat at all and a producer could lay the track over his vocals
+3   

2 months ago '05        #10
tokinjohn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 116700 116 K  Slaps total: 14407 14 K
 Usukaz2 said
WSG is Islord from k*llarmy with that sh*t....sounds exactly like him, same Adlibs too
+4   

2 months ago '20        #11
Trueballer718 
Props total: 3895 3 K  Slaps total: 784 784
First one out of griselda I started listening to . Underrated . He’s dope
Somebody post Rayfuls plug please !
+7   

2 months ago '17        #12
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 84095 84 K  Slaps total: 24739 24 K
Dude is dope

But he’s not on beat….. he’s just rapping to a lambchops beat. What’s the significance? Nothing to follow means you can’t be wrong.

It’s just how someone can rap, with NO beat
+3   

2 months ago '16        #13
Teknicks 
Props total: 34907 34 K  Slaps total: 6201 6 K
 Usukaz2 said
Naw. Influenced yea.. Griselda don't just sound like Ghost and Wu. They rap different, different bars, subject matter, punch lines, cadences, beats all that..

You will hear Ghost and Rae and Meth.. but it's also Mobb, Mega, MOP, and Kane too
+6   

2 months ago '15        #14
CALL AGAIN 
Props total: 20257 20 K  Slaps total: 2662 2 K
 Usukaz2 said
All those M.I.C cats did the same sh*t too and were spittin heavy sh*t

2 months ago '17        #15
Badmon16 
Props total: 364 364  Slaps total: 76 76
very song is different, that's what matters.
+2   

2 months ago '14        #16
2 cent 
Props total: 3523 3 K  Slaps total: 645 645
If you're a rapper you should be able to rap with or without a beat. You should be able to rap over classical music. If you cant then you're not a rapper I'm sorry.

How are we in here watching a legendary DJ praise someone for something so basic.

Edit.. Also are we gonna act like griselda is not just a remake of old hip hop?

Nothing and I mean nothing is original about that old new York sound and their hasn't been for over 25 years.

We talk about these new rapper having no originality or versatility but praise groups like this who's style is clearly not their own. I guess it just reminds you of something that is classic.

Last edited by 2 cent; 07-26-2021 at 01:40 AM..

2 months ago '04        #17
Real 
Props total: 23552 23 K  Slaps total: 3260 3 K
In, to watch bx be so fueled by misery and hate that they'll even tell Dj Premier how wrong his opinions are when it comes to artists he's actually worked with
+6   

2 months ago '11        #18
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25910 25 K  Slaps total: 1104 1 K
 Usukaz2 said
Stroke of death by far would be the most difficult beat to rap on if youre not seasoned. Gotta hunt for the pocket while the tempo switches from 81.9 to 79 to 82.2..

Would be the sh*t if there was a video of that session.

The Mr Fuji beat is another difficult 1 to rap on if you dont know how to count your bpm's while spittin. It sounds off but its definitely on grid

+2   

2 months ago '20        #19
Ray Quan Deshef 
Props total: 2972 2 K  Slaps total: 214 214

Just pictured Gunn in the studio like Pootie Tang turning the volume down on everything.

A YO!
+1   

2 months ago '17        #20
bmf24eva  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 18248 18 K  Slaps total: 5061 5 K
 Usukaz2 said
Idiot..
+1   

2 months ago '06        #21
Stupid Fresh 
Props total: 15923 15 K  Slaps total: 3113 3 K
Still can’t get with his voice
Weights on my ears
+1   

2 months ago '18        #22
No Religion  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 32316 32 K  Slaps total: 2343 2 K
 Teknicks said
Naw. Influenced yea.. Griselda don't just sound like Ghost and Wu. They rap different, different bars, subject matter, punch lines, cadences, beats all that..

You will hear Ghost and Rae and Meth.. but it's also Mobb, Mega, MOP, and Kane too
This. Children of the 90s so it's inevitable you will hear the illest MCs from that era in their artistry. They still have their own style despite.
+3   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '04        #23
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 35012 35 K  Slaps total: 2684 2 K
 usukaz2 said
killah priest and willie the kid been doing that for years!!! Griselda whole sound comes from "stroke of death" off of supreme clientele
Stroke of death has drums in it but I get what you trying to say
+1   

2 months ago '16        #24
JayGeezus 
Props total: 3793 3 K  Slaps total: 408 408
Rock with Griselda heavy but I can't get into WestSide's music. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

2 months ago '19        #25
Megaman 
Props total: 5583 5 K  Slaps total: 6181 6 K
WSG is a great hype man on the track for Benny and Conway, aside from that his main talent is being an executive producer.

As an actual rapper over 16 he aint all that and very generic.

But he knows where he fits in and what his talents are, and yeah, he does sound exactly like Islord from k*llarmy.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+67online now  42
Video inside Drake - Buffalo Freestyle Ft Benny The Butcher Official Audio
116 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  31
Image(s) inside Apples creativity died with Steve Jobs
94 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  18
Video inside Mase In A Heated Exchange On Club House: Nas Vs Andre 3000|North Vs Sou..
303 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+158online now  12
Video inside Fawkin’ MOOLIES!!!!
62 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy