Jul 25 - Atlanta restaurant mandates Wuhan injections for customers

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '20        #1
2555 page views
74 comments

I Know  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 6891 6 K  Slaps total: 7833 7 K
Jul 25 - Atlanta restaurant mandates Wuhan injections for customers

COVID-19 warning signs posted at the entrance to businesses have become more commonplace than the classic “no shoes, no shirt, no service” declaration. Could “no vax, no service” posters be next?

On Wednesday, East Atlanta restaurant and bar Argosy announced that it would begin requiring guests to be vaccinated. Argosy’s new rules come amid a surge in new coronavirus infections in Georgia and across the nation, overwhelmingly among the unvaccinated.

In making the move, Argosy joins a small but growing roster of restaurants in cities like New York and Los Angeles that are mandating vaccinations among patrons.

The decision came after four Argosy employees — co-owner Armando Celentano and three bartenders — recently tested positive for COVID-19. Each had been vaccinated, marking them as “breakthrough” cases. Celentano was tested after feeling ill. His positive result prompted a round of companywide testing. “We think we were exposed at different times to unvaccinated people,” he said.

“It is a question of quality of life and safety for my staff and guests,” said Celentano, who is currently quarantining and experiencing mild symptoms that include a lack of smell, intermittent cough, lethargy, sinus pressure and swollen, light-sensitive eyes. “It’s a privately owned, small business and I have to do what I think is right to protect the people who rely on me to make a living.”

According to Celentano, all of Argosy’s approximately 36 employees have been vaccinated except one due to medical reasons.

The four positive tests (all other employees tested negative) prompted an immediate shutdown of indoor dining and bar operations over the weekend, with limited outdoor service, as well as takeout and delivery through Monday.

“I can’t afford to continue shutting down due to COVID infections,” said Celentano. He stated that the company lost “not just a few hundred or thousand, but tens of thousands of dollars in cost and labor in anticipation of a busy weekend.”

The seven-day rolling average of confirmed and suspected COVID-19 infections in Georgia on Thursday was four times higher than it was at the end of June, an Atlanta Journal-Constitution analysis of state data shows.

This week, the number of people currently hospitalized statewide for the virus eclipsed 1,000 for the first time since early May. The overwhelming majority of those patients are unvaccinated, state officials have said.

“There is a clear message that is coming through: This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a press briefing last week.

Argosy employees will not check proof of vaccination at the door, in part because the restaurant doesn’t have the staff to support such protocol. Instead, customers are asked to carry proof of vaccination — either the original copy or a digital version, such as a photo from a smartphone — and show it upon request. Vaccination is required whether customers are indoors or outside.

Celentano said the policy was “fluid” and could change. “If it becomes obvious that we have to start taking vaccination cards at the door, we will,” he said. “We want people to have fun and walk around but not spread this thing to people and staff. … This is not, hopefully, a long-term policy. Hopefully, it is enough to get us through until we can develop herd immunity.”

In the meantime, Argosy is also reinstating a mask mandate among employees and reconsidering doing the same for unseated customers.

“We are hoping the sign on the door does a lot of heavy lifting for us,” he said.

The announcement was met with mixed reaction on social media. While some applauded the decision, others openly voiced opposition.

Sean Villalobos is among those critical of the new policy.

“It’s your right as a business owner, but from a purely practical standpoint, there’s no way you can verify who is vaccinated or not,” said Villalobos, a resident of Flowery Branch who said he frequented Argosy monthly. “From a business perspective, it doesn’t make sense to potentially alienate people at a restaurant.”

He continued: “I think it is more like a virtue signaling or political statement than ‘I want to keep people safe.’”

Celentano acknowledges the new policy as being “very divisive.” “I’ve been accused of virtue signaling, but at the same time, I have to take some sort of a stand to protect my staff,” Celentano said. “I’ve drawn my line in the sand. Is it political? Sure, if you want to take it that way. But at the same time, it’s getting the job done.”

Villalobos, 35, is not vaccinated and stated that he has a “pretty robust immune system.” “Chances are, I’ve already been exposed to it at this point and developed natural immunity,” said Villalobos, who works in the automotive repair business and has been deemed an essential worker throughout the pandemic. “Personally, I feel no threat from COVID-19.”

The three vaccines currently authorized in the U.S. are remarkably effective at preventing infection, hospitalization and death from the coronavirus, but they are not 100% effective. Breakthrough infections have been expected, though cases among the vaccinated generally are much milder than for those who have not been inoculated. The CDC recommends people who have been infected and recovered from COVID-19 get the shot because it is currently not known how long people are protected from antibodies acquired from prior infection.

Other metro Atlanta food-service workers are experiencing a threat from COVID-19.

Mediterranean restaurant Aviva by Kameel announced Wednesday that it was closing both of its locations because vaccinated staff tested positive for the virus. The downtown location is expected to reopen Aug. 2 and the Midtown location on Aug. 3, pending negative follow-up tests by employees.

Business at Aviva and Argosy has been impacted by breakthrough cases among staff, yet Argosy appears to be the only metro Atlanta restaurant to enact a vaccine mandate. Patrons of City Winery’s flagship restaurant in New York must show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination to enter or otherwise consent to wear a mask, but the company does not have the same policy for its other locales, including in Atlanta.

“I would love to see some solidarity about this in the hospitality industry,” said Celentano. “I do hope this normalizes it to some degree and shows other establishments you can still survive and thrive while protecting your staff.”

visit this link https://www.ajc.com/thing .. HGLKKO22GXC6E/

best
worst
74 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
TrillestTalk404  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 50022 50 K  Slaps total: 8123 8 K
They will be out of business in 6 months for this move. Just watch
+46   

2 months ago '18        #3
ChrisPartlowFro 
Props total: 31338 31 K  Slaps total: 3500 3 K
You Anti-Vaxxers don’t eat out anyway. Y’all the non-tipping type.
+21   

2 months ago '20        #4
I Know  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 ChrisPartlowFro said
You Anti-Vaxxers don’t eat out anyway. Y’all the non-tipping type.
Ain’t that you gimps happy about lockdowns and other introvert sh*t including no shows no movie theaters ordering in shopping online social distancing and mask?

@

+7   

2 months ago '14        #5
Sense Maker  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22286 22 K  Slaps total: 4157 4 K
+1   

2 months ago '20        #6
Habeas Corpus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 22135 22 K  Slaps total: 3721 3 K
This is all gonna backfire. I can't wait
+18   

2 months ago '10        #7
datguyjr 
Props total: 6679 6 K  Slaps total: 1082 1 K
Stores/companies that do this fail to realize that they're at the mercy of the people in order to thrive and that people have many choices.
+11   

2 months ago '17        #8
livewire93 
Props total: 5082 5 K  Slaps total: 311 311
It's a lame a*s hipster spot, who cares

+18   

2 months ago '04        #9
patt24 
Props total: 12567 12 K  Slaps total: 1435 1 K
It's really pretty simple, you don't like 1 places policy, you go to the other and vice versa. Depending on where you live there's multiple options for any and everything.

A place doesn't want to allow or serve anyone non-vaxed or not in a mask...cool.... if they refuse to serve vaxed or anyone wearing a mask... cool. Makes no difference to me.

America so trash. Everyone trying to force their opinions on each other... just live your life how you see fit, mind your business and shut the fu*k up with the childish bullsh*t

datguyjr said
people have many choices.
Goes both ways.
+6   

2 months ago '04        #10
abstractq 
Props total: 26674 26 K  Slaps total: 4724 4 K
might have to make a lil trip over to east atlanta and chill with some of my hippie brethren. . .
+6   

2 months ago '05        #11
Gully Reloaded 
Props total: 10899 10 K  Slaps total: 2197 2 K
 datguyjr said
Stores/companies that do this fail to realize that they're at the mercy of the people in order to thrive and that people have many choices.

..........you think that a business that serves food doesn't know where its revenue comes from?

Mans thought he said something totally new and profound.
+7   

2 months ago '18        #12
ChrisPartlowFro 
 I Know said
Ain’t that you gimps happy about lockdowns and other introvert sh*t including no shows no movie theaters ordering in shopping online social distancing and mask?

@

The fu*k are you talking about? Who was happy about it. Shut up

2 months ago '20        #13
 ChrisPartlowFro said
The fu*k are you talking about? Who was happy about it. Shut up

2 months ago '18        #14
ChrisPartlowFro 
 I Know said

2 months ago '20        #15
 ChrisPartlowFro said
Na

The arrogance and ignorance of you Covid Karen gimps is comical.

2 months ago '17        #16
Iduzdis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14880 14 K  Slaps total: 3305 3 K
As if people will lose out and go hungry for not visiting their place.

They must have some depress emos who find solace by visiting their place cause I cant imagine any person making Health decision based on how the restaurant feel about vax.

2 months ago '15        #17
Lord Funkington 
Props total: 8960 8 K  Slaps total: 1414 1 K
Pretty simple. You don't like the policies, don't eat there. No one is treading on you or disrupting your freedoms.
+3   

2 months ago '20        #18
Gmoney419 
Props total: 5642 5 K  Slaps total: 788 788
Do the same 3 or 4 accounts do anything other then post COVID sh*t all damn day lol. I mean these dudes whole entire personas is posting memes and articles from fringe websites or fu*king russiantimes. You’d think we was still in March 2020 with the sh*t they be posting all damn day

Last edited by Gmoney419; 07-25-2021 at 06:41 PM..
+7   

2 months ago '10        #19
peeyump 
Props total: 2984 2 K  Slaps total: 284 284
Never heard of they

2 months ago '10        #20
datguyjr 
 Gully Reloaded said
..........you think that a business that serves food doesn't know where its revenue comes from?

Mans thought he said something totally new and profound.
Obviously some/most businesses have statistics, I a*sumed that goes without saying but I guess not for you.

2 months ago '10        #21
Jay313 
Props total: 14 14  Slaps total: 4 4
Each had been vaccinated, marking them as “breakthrough” cases. Celentano was tested after feeling ill. His positive result prompted a round of companywide testing. “We think we were exposed at different times to unvaccinated people,” he said. So vax'd or unvax'd you still gon get waxed????
+7   

2 months ago '20        #22
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 68420 68 K  Slaps total: 3658 3 K
A lot of major cities have spots doing this.

I am waiting to see the results of this move.

Some of the tinfoil hat predictions about mandatory vaccination if you want to partake in anything not sounding so crazy now.

2 months ago '19        #23
skippa 
Props total: 10562 10 K  Slaps total: 1452 1 K
I see this being a reversal of the "Covid Hoax" crowd.

They gone start dropping off from heart attacks caused by bloodclots, and folks are going to stand around pretending like it just couldn't be the vaccine.

FYI people are dying right now from heart attacks caused by bloodclots not to long after getting the vaccine. Just a disclaimer for all you pro vaccine paid shill's out there looking to attack.
+5   

2 months ago '10        #24
datguyjr 
 patt24 said
Goes both ways.
For a business to succeed, you think so?

More unvaccinated than vaccinated, so that already drastically limits businesses revenue and that's a*suming their are enough vaccinated people in the area to sustain that business.

2 months ago '20        #25
cutedrakestan 
Props total: 3051 3 K  Slaps total: 4232 4 K
 patt24 said
It's really pretty simple, you don't like 1 places policy, you go to the other and vice versa. Depending on where you live there's multiple options for any and everything.

A place doesn't want to allow or serve anyone non-vaxed or not in a mask...cool.... if they refuse to serve vaxed or anyone wearing a mask... cool. Makes no difference to me.

America so trash. Everyone trying to force their opinions on each other... just live your life how you see fit, mind your business and shut the fu*k up with the childish bullsh*t

Goes both ways.
so then why force a christian baker to . . . ., make a cake for a practice he doesn't support. if you can just go elsewhere.

what happens when every grocery store requires a vax. what about medical choice.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  10
Video inside Sep 26 - 75 year old man convinced by Anti Vaxxers to leave hospital di..
102 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  7
Kyrie Irving could skip Nets home games because of ‘oppressing’ vaccine ma..
152 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  6
Video inside Sep 25 - Dog The Bounty Hunter Enters The Chat; Goes To Home Of Brian L..
60 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+28online now  6
Article inside Fewer men attending college is leading toward "mating crisis", says N..
270 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy