Twitter Reacts To Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott statement about "HIPAA"

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
47 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

2 months ago '06        #1
2789 page views
70 comments

livekomik  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 10046 10 K  Slaps total: 2158 2 K
Twitter Reacts To Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott statement about "HIPAA"

+5   

best
worst
70 comments

2 months ago '06        #2
livekomik  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47 OP
Props total: 10046 10 K  Slaps total: 2158 2 K

+16   

2 months ago '14        #3
El Caballero  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 53023 53 K  Slaps total: 4054 4 K
Damn near everyone that brings up HIPPA knows nothing about it
hilarious
+67   

2 months ago '10        #4
olook up  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 10934 10 K  Slaps total: 3934 3 K
Broken leg a*s boy
+7   

2 months ago '11        #5
Sinamatik CFR  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 51966 51 K  Slaps total: 5261 5 K
 El Caballero said
Damn near everyone that brings up HIPPA knows nothing about it
hilarious
i thought medical info was protected under HIPPA too, unless you give consent...
+38   

2 months ago '10        #6
sho 2010  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 52661 52 K  Slaps total: 22594 22 K
I didn’t Dak could afford a hippo

2 months ago '07        #7
Sincere730  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 62815 62 K  Slaps total: 6827 6 K
 Sinamatik CFR said
i thought medical info was protected under HIPPA too, unless you give consent...
Exactly

Prevents ya medical info from becoming public
+32   

2 months ago '04        #8
jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x43
Props total: 16345 16 K  Slaps total: 1610 1 K
How the HIPAA Law Works and Why People Get It Wrong

As September beckons people back to the office and the highly infectious Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads rapidly across the country, workplaces are navigating a range of challenges, including whether to require employees to be vaccinated or to reimpose mask mandates.

Some, including Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, Republican of Georgia, are resisting those calls, as she falsely claimed this week that disclosing vaccination status “was a violation of my HIPAA rights,” the federal regulation that protects confidential health information.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, known as HIPAA, governs the privacy of a patient’s health records, but it is legal to ask Ms. Greene about her medical history. Still, her a*sertion reflects a misperception that has spread across social media and fringe sites as online misinformation and misstatements about vaccines help fuel a resistance to being inoculated.

Here’s a look at what privacy protections HIPAA offers and why it is so frequently misinterpreted.

What is HIPAA?

In 1996, President Bill Clinton signed into law HIPAA, a broad piece of health and privacy legislation that helped update and regulate how health insurance was sold and how personal medical information was stored as electronic processing took hold.

One aspect of the law, the privacy rule, makes it illegal for certain people and organizations, including health care providers, insurers, clearinghouses that store and manage health data and their business a*sociates, to share a patient’s medical records without the patient’s explicit consent. Those parties handle patient health records on a daily basis.

Does the law make it illegal to ask a person’s vaccination status?

No. The law applies only to companies and professionals in the health care field, although some people may incorrectly imply otherwise, as Ms. Greene did in suggesting that the measure offered Fifth Amendment-like protection against revealing personal health information.

HIPAA is extremely “narrow,” said I. Glenn Cohen, an expert on bioethics and health law with the Harvard School of Law. “Whenever anyone says to you ‘HIPAA prohibits that,’ ask them to point to the portion of the statute or regulation that prohibits it. They often won’t be able to do so.”

Moreover, nothing in the law prohibits asking about someone’s health, be it vaccination status or proof that such information is accurate.

Regardless, some have turned to the law as a pretext to deflect such questions.

In July, the lieutenant governor of North Carolina, Mark Robinson, falsely claimed on Facebook that President Biden’s door-to-door campaign to encourage vaccination and asking whether residents have been inoculated were “illegal” under HIPAA.

But the law is not applicable to employers, retail stores or journalists, among other parties. No federal law prevents companies from requiring their employees to be vaccinated, though there are certain exceptions if you have a disability or a sincerely held religious belief.

Nor does it mean that you have to reveal whether you have been vaccinated. That is at your discretion to disclose.

Why is HIPAA widely misunderstood?

Long before social media and fringe news sites disseminated harmful health misinformation, like whether masks work (they do) or whether the coronavirus vaccine will alter your DNA (it won’t), HIPAA and its use as a catchall excuse for privacy have often lent themselves to misinterpretation.

“I often joke that even though it is five letters, HIPAA is treated as a four-letter word,” Mr. Cohen said. Physicians, he said, have often used it as a reason not “to do something they don’t want to do, like providing a patient certain information by saying — perhaps believing it but being incorrect — ‘well, that would be a HIPAA violation.’”

But experts say politicians and public figures inflict further damage in perpetuating incorrect claims, allowing misunderstandings about HIPAA and vaccine skepticism to flourish.

“This rumor might not be specifically harmful in itself, but it’s part of a narrative that is harmful,” said Tara Kirk Sell, an a*sistant professor of health security at Johns Hopkins’s Bloomberg School of Public Health. “It is especially a problem when there’s an information void and in this case, it’s that people don’t know what HIPAA is.”

Ms. Greene has previously spread misinformation about HIPAA and about vaccines. Twitter suspended her account this week after she a*serted that Covid-19 was not dangerous to young, healthy people — a claim that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has disproved.

“The HIPAA laws are real and they do something important,” Ms. Sell said. “The misinterpretation of what it’s all about just adds to this firestorm of anti-vaccine sentiment.”
+24   

2 months ago '14        #9
 Sinamatik CFR said
It prevents medical professionals from disclosing info

People think that your job or a reporter asking you question about your medicals is a "HIPPA violation" and that's just not true

Now you can choose not to answer of course. And it would be a HIPPA violation if for example your doctor gave the information to the reporter
+34   

2 months ago '07        #10
Bkjj11  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x77
Props total: 166483 166 K  Slaps total: 27793 27 K
Dudes are stupid man lol
+3   

2 months ago '14        #11
PolarBear 
Props total: 20874 20 K  Slaps total: 7087 7 K
 Sinamatik CFR said
Your DOCTOR can’t give your medical information.
+11   

2 months ago '11        #12
darealvelle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19549 19 K  Slaps total: 875 875
 El Caballero said

People think that your job or a reporter asking you question about your medicals is a "HIPPA violation" and that's just not true

Now you can choose not to answer of course. And it would be a HIPPA violation if for example your doctor gave the information to the reporter
This... Dak and a lot of people(MAGA) think that simply asking someone if they are vaccinated is a HIPPA violation.
+4   

2 months ago '11        #13
 Bkjj11 said
Dudes are stupid man lol
Nah just not informed.
+2   

2 months ago '10        #14
chorizoburger 
Props total: 5979 5 K  Slaps total: 1770 1 K
videos of tweets
+3   

2 months ago '10        #15
JudasHatesJesus 
Props total: 11848 11 K  Slaps total: 1996 1 K
HIPPA may state that my doctor can’t disclose the info but it’s MY fu*king medical information. How does a fu*king doctor have more rights over my body and health than myself? This sh*t is a fu*king loophole to make people say if they have it or not. I swear I’ve NEVER heard it being “just doctors” that can’t disclose the information. So, you are telling me when I call our sick and say it’s a serious illness my boss can go tell all my coworkers? fu*k outta here. This sh*t makes no sense to someone with a brain that works. I don’t have to disclose sh*t and it is a hippa violation. So, friends and family can do it but doctors can’t? It makes absolutely no fu*king sense. People just need to mind their business.

2 months ago '14        #16
PolarBear 
 JudasHatesJesus said
HIPPA may state that my doctor can’t disclose the info but it’s MY fu*king medical information. How does a fu*king doctor have more rights over my body and health than myself? This sh*t is a fu*king loophole to make people say if they have it or not. I swear I’ve NEVER heard it being “just doctors” that can’t disclose the information. So, you are telling me when I call our sick and say it’s a serious illness my boss can go tell all my coworkers? fu*k outta here. This sh*t makes no sense to someone with a brain that works. I don’t have to disclose sh*t and it is a hippa violation. So, friends and family can do it but doctors can’t? It makes absolutely no fu*king sense. People just need to mind their business.
Anybody can ask you your medical history. You can disclose it to your boss, co workers, family and friends if you want to. And yes they can tell whoever they want. They just can’t get it from your doctor.

You don’t have answer the question tho. Problem solved.
+13   

2 months ago '11        #17
Joseph  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 37164 37 K  Slaps total: 8895 8 K
It's his choice if he wants to make that information public. LeBron didn't wanna speak on it either.
+10   

2 months ago '14        #18
 JudasHatesJesus said
Man.. All you gotta do is not answer the question.

The government can't protect everyone from asking you a question.

It's not a loophole.. Idk why you're talking about you've "never heard" clearly you haven't taken the time to read any part of the law even though it's easy to find online
+10   

2 months ago '11        #19
 Joseph said
It's his choice if he wants to make that information public. LeBron didn't wanna speak on it either.
His boy Zeke is vaccinated, so he is more than likely is.

2 months ago '07        #20
Bkjj11  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x77
Props total: 166483 166 K  Slaps total: 27793 27 K
 darealvelle said
Nah just not informed.
Semantics lol
+1   

2 months ago '11        #21
 PolarBear said
Your DOCTOR can’t give your medical information.
right and thats why Dak said what he said in sarcasm and truth... it's none of their business unless HE wanted to disclose his OWN medical info, which he didn't!
+1   

2 months ago '11        #22
 El Caballero said

I get that, i work with medical info due to social work, thats why what he said was still valid in the lighthearted joking sense he made the comment in... he could've simply said "next question", he threw the HIPPA statement out there as sarcasm...

relax bro!
+2   

2 months ago '14        #23
PolarBear 
 Sinamatik CFR said
right and thats why Dak said what he said in sarcasm and truth... it's none of their business unless HE wanted to disclose his OWN medical info, which he didn't!
Right but for the record it is not a HIPAA violation.
+4   

2 months ago '05        #24
Stupendamatic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 19695 19 K  Slaps total: 1814 1 K
 Bkjj11 said
Dudes are stupid man lol
Yeah I didn't think this was something that needed to be explained.

Seeing that bimbo from Georgia getting it wrong though is not surprising at all.
+3   

2 months ago '17        #25
sjuelz 
Props total: 594 594  Slaps total: 131 131
Another dumbass that gets news from Facebook

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  22
Image(s) inside Apple Wallet is getting verifiable COVID-19 vaccination cards
62 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  11
Who's lining up tonight for ps5 @ bestbuy?
243 comments
24 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
+24online now  11
Video inside This Teacher Out Here Tryna Catch A Case With One Of Her Students!
89 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+17online now  8
KD vetoed a trade that would've sent Kyrie Irving to Philadelphia in excha..
124 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy