street fighter: then vs now

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
78 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 months ago '21        #1
1616 page views
51 comments

Dreamcast 
Props total: 6462 6 K  Slaps total: 1511 1 K
street f*ghter: then vs now

i thought about this and it tripped me out

in the 90s we had street f*ghter 2, street f*ghter alpha, and street f*ghter 3.. ALL IN ONE DECADE

and each one had multiple iterations

that is mind blowing

today we get one street f*ghter and its supposed to last us for like a decade

+14   

best
worst
51 comments

2 months ago '12        #2
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 181982 181 K  Slaps total: 10602 10 K
 Dreamcast said
i thought about this and it tripped me out

in the 90s we had street f*ghter 2, street f*ghter alpha, and street f*ghter 3.. ALL IN ONE DECADE

and each one had multiple iterations

that is mind blowing

today we get one street f*ghter and its supposed to last us for like a decade

What you got was:

Street f*ghter 2 - Champ Edition - Super - Super Turbo
Street f*ghter Alpha 1 - 2 - 3
Street f*ghter 3 - Double Impact - 3rd Strike and all of those releases cost full price which equals like 5 or 600 dollars plus if you bought all of them(Which my household did )

Compared to releasing Street f*ghter V and tweaking it through patches and a few DLC packs for 15-20 bucks apiece.

For comparison Street f*ghter 2 Champion Edition was literally just letting people play the 4 bosses who were already in the original game, new end credit music, and the ability to f*ght as the same character in versus mode all for full price ...You could argue it's the earliest version of "DLC Thats already installed in the damn game" for a premium price.

While they have been slow with dropping new full blown numbered entries, the current model is cheaper than it was in the 90s.

This dude broke it down:

It's a few years old but buying all of the Street f*ghter V Content is cheaper than when some of us bought Street f*ghter 2 and it's re-releases/Super/Super Turbo alone - thats not even counting the Alpha series or the SF3 series

And if you actually play the game you can unlock damn near all of the characters(Few guides out there on how to do it) without paying anything

Summary- If We had the internet we would have gotten fewer games and it would have been cheaper too

Last edited by OldBusiness; 07-22-2021 at 05:11 PM..
+18   

2 months ago '05        #3
thaghost36 
Props total: 1928 1 K  Slaps total: 95 95
I'm still salty that SFV was a Sony exclusive for the WHOLE GENERATION!
+10   

2 months ago '21        #4
Dreamcast  OP
 thaghost36 said
don't be salty it was trash.. i bought it and it was nowhere near as good as sf4.. i tried to like it but nah.. it wasn't happenin.. i deleted it.. haven't touched it in years
+6   

2 months ago '20        #5
Max Mayhem 
Props total: 5018 5 K  Slaps total: 558 558
 Dreamcast said
don't be salty it was trash.. i bought it and it was nowhere near as good as sf4.. i tried to like it but nah.. it wasn't happenin.. i deleted it.. haven't touched it in years
It's not that bad. There is fun to be had with it, especially since Champion Edition. A lot has changed since vanilla SFV
+4   

2 months ago '12        #6
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 181982 181 K  Slaps total: 10602 10 K
 Dreamcast said
Game was severely lacking when it first dropped, but it's improved a great deal since and it's pretty fire now.

Give it another shot fam you might be impressed.
+7   

2 months ago '21        #7
Dreamcast  OP
 OldBusiness said
What you got was:

Street f*ghter 3 - Double Impact - 3rd Strike and all of those releases cost full price which equals like 5 or 600 dollars plus if you bought all of them(Which my household did )

Compared to releasing Street f*ghter V and tweaking it through patches and a few DLC packs for 15-20 bucks apiece.

For comparison Street f*ghter 2 Champion Edition was literally just letting people play the 4 bosses who were already in the original game, new end credit music, and the ability to f*ght as the same character in versus mode all for full price ...You could argue it's the earliest version of "DLC Thats already installed in the damn game" for a premium price.

While they have been slow with dropping new full blown numbered entries, the current model is cheaper than it was in the 90s.

This dude broke it down:

It's a few years old but buying all of the Street f*ghter V Content is cheaper than when some of us bought Street f*ghter 2 and it's re-releases/Super/Super Turbo alone - thats not even counting the Alpha series or the SF3 series

And if you actually play the game you can unlock damn near all of the characters(Few guides out there on how to do it) without paying anything

Summary- If We had the internet we would have gotten fewer games and it would have been cheaper too
i hear u but i don't really agree with this outlook

peeps didn't have to buy every street f*ghter to enjoy it.. looking back i only had champion edition, alpha 2, and 3rd strike

the main thing to me is we had 3 new games.. each one looked and played better than the one before it.. and yes i am willing to pay $60 for a brand new game with new music, new art style, new characters, backgrounds, features, better mechanics etc.

today we end up stuck with the same game for madd long

yeah they add backgrounds and characters but i want a whole new game sometimes

sf5 is trash im ready for them to move on

if u like it then cool

2 months ago '21        #8
Dreamcast  OP
 OldBusiness said
Game was severely lacking when it first dropped, but it's improved a great deal since and it's pretty fire now.

Give it another shot fam you might be impressed.
nah playa.. i waited when i bought it.. i didn't buy it when it was bare bones.. they had already added some stuff

but to me it was still trash
+1   

2 months ago '16        #9
Hoggystyle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 80409 80 K  Slaps total: 8824 8 K
Yeah SFV had a terrible launch but they kept updating it and finallly the game got decent
+1   

2 months ago '11        #10
BaseWhitaker 
Props total: 25986 25 K  Slaps total: 3422 3 K
 Max Mayhem said
It's not that bad. There is fun to be had with it, especially since Champion Edition. A lot has changed since vanilla SFV
Agreed

I bought my Playstation 4 to explicitly get SFV: I played my 360 infinitely more than my PS3

Anyways - Vanilla SFV was the worst launch of a video game I had ever experienced, *until* the coming releases of 2K each September to follow. It was a $60 Beta, Survival Mode was impossible, Online was disjointed, everyone was Crush Counter Hunting etc the game was fu*king trash

It took them 4-5 years but they finally fixed it. Saw on Reddit - A Fan Poll concluded with more fans liking SFV than 4, didn't think we'd see the day.

Ono fu*ked Street f*ghter up, had to go, Capcom will deliver with Street f*ghter 6, Ono damn near ran it all into the ground beyond repair
+2   

2 months ago '13        #11
uoeno  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 54932 54 K  Slaps total: 10488 10 K
had to drop street f*ghter. it was so barebones ... when tekken 7 dropped, i bought that day 1 and it blew sf out the water.

i tried SF again recently, but everything is behind f*ght Money ... and i sure as hell do not plan on learning all the matchups and sh*t just to grind for sh*t behind a paywall.

if SF6 launches as a somewhat complete game, id be down ...
+2   

2 months ago '17        #12
bayareabosses 
Props total: 1479 1 K  Slaps total: 265 265
They need to drop a new street f*ghter and tekken tag
+2   

2 months ago '14        #13
Aquas 
Props total: 2620 2 K  Slaps total: 773 773
Give me C Viper

2 months ago '15        #14
EnigmaticPigeon 
Props total: 56382 56 K  Slaps total: 2303 2 K
Still play sf3 to this day
+5   

2 months ago '04        #15
refuze  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 47555 47 K  Slaps total: 6071 6 K
SF5 is a game I put on from time to time, but never play it consistently

Hate the fact that I have to drop money just to unlock new characters, but that's how the f*ghting games have been like the past several years.

It costs more for DLCs than the base game

+1   

2 months ago '06        #16
Be Easy 
Props total: 16289 16 K  Slaps total: 1971 1 K
 Dreamcast said
nah playa.. i waited when i bought it.. i didn't buy it when it was bare bones.. they had already added some stuff

but to me it was still trash
4 and 5 damn near identical

5 just had a lack of content at the start

2 months ago '21        #17
Dreamcast  OP
 Be Easy said

i totally disagree

i played 4 for 10 years .. there are big differences
+3   

2 months ago '21        #18
point proven 
Props total: 12 12  Slaps total: 4 4
 Be Easy said

4 and 5 are not identical not to me

2 months ago '06        #19
Be Easy 
Props total: 16289 16 K  Slaps total: 1971 1 K
 point proven said
4 and 5 are not identical not to me
you’re getting the same art style and gameplay for the most part

I have both

it’s not much of a difference

if you don’t have either you might as well get 5

if you have 4 you can really skip 5

unless you just wanna try new characters

2 months ago '16        #20
Ozzy Booty 
Props total: 4394 4 K  Slaps total: 154 154
 BaseWhitaker said
Agreed

I bought my Playstation 4 to explicitly get SFV: I played my 360 infinitely more than my PS3

Anyways - Vanilla SFV was the worst launch of a video game I had ever experienced, *until* the coming releases of 2K each September to follow. It was a $60 Beta, Survival Mode was impossible, Online was disjointed, everyone was Crush Counter Hunting etc the game was fu*king trash

It took them 4-5 years but they finally fixed it. Saw on Reddit - A Fan Poll concluded with more fans liking SFV than 4, didn't think we'd see the day.

Ono fu*ked Street f*ghter up, had to go, Capcom will deliver with Street f*ghter 6, Ono damn near ran it all into the ground beyond repair
Ono wanted to make SF6 a tag game from what I heard. Capcom heads gave him the axe after they saw the work he was doing.
+1   

2 months ago '21        #21
point proven 
Props total: 12 12  Slaps total: 4 4
 Be Easy said
you’re getting the same art style and gameplay for the most part

I have both

it’s not much of a difference

if you don’t have either you might as well get 5

if you have 4 you can really skip 5

unless you just wanna try new characters
4 did not have crush counter
5 does

4 did not have v trigger

5 does

2 months ago '08        #22
Ron O'Neal 
Props total: 4487 4 K  Slaps total: 140 140
 OldBusiness said
What you got was:

This dude broke it down:

I agree with everything you said but champion edition never released on SNES. If I remember correctly The original street f*ghter 2 game had a code that you could put in that allowed you to play as the same character but not the bosses. This was as close to champion edition the SNES got until turbo released.

2 months ago '19        #23
Mescaline  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 81228 81 K  Slaps total: 12290 12 K
We need a Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street f*ghter 2

+3   

2 months ago '05        #24
Daddy Black 
Props total: 14444 14 K  Slaps total: 1274 1 K
 thaghost36 said
Dont be mad that game was bootycheeks.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #25
Flatbush85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 15775 15 K  Slaps total: 1501 1 K
There only one definitive version

+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  25
Who's lining up tonight for ps5 @ bestbuy?
254 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
+21online now  15
EU proposes mandatory USB-C on all devices including iPhones to reduce ewaste
46 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+76online now  12
😳 🐋 Floating (dead) Whale explodes in ocean
70 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  9
Video inside RAPPER WATCHED HIS GIRLFRIEND GET KIDNAPPED, SHE WAS FOUND DEAD 5 HOURS..
117 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy