2,192
 

Jul 21 - Victims of Florida condo collapse to get at least $150 million, judge says



ADVERTISEMENT
 
topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
  60
128 replies  @hiphop




section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news
  
 1 week ago '04        #1
405 page views
10 comments


jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
avatar
Props total: 9928 9 K  Slaps total: 1025 1 K
Jul 21 - Victims of Florida condo collapse to get at least $150 million, judge says
 

 
image

The families affected by the deadly condo collapse in South Florida will receive at least $150 million in compensation, a judge said Wednesday.

The initial payment would come from insurance on the building and the expected proceeds from an eventual sale of the Champlain Towers South property, where the 12-story building stood for 40 years before it crumbled last month — k*lling at least 97 people and destroying the belongings of more than 100 families.

Any survivors, visitors and the families of those who died will be eligible to receive a share of those funds, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman said at a hearing.

The sum does not include any money those families and survivors may receive from the growing pile of lawsuits filed since the June 24 disaster in the town of Surfside. The lawsuits are being consolidated into a single class-action case, Hanzman said.

“The court’s concern has always been the victims here,” he said. “Their rights will be protected.”

The judge has also appointed a receiver, attorney Michael Goldberg, to handle the condo a*sociation’s finances during the multi-agency investigation into the collapse. Goldberg told the court Wednesday that the property has been completely cleared of debris and that any piece of rubble considered as evidence has been sent to a Miami-area warehouse.

Attorneys and engineers hoping to look at the evidence will have to wait until the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which is leading a federal review of the case, determines it is OK for them to do so, according to officials.

The hundreds of workers who combed through the massive pile of debris for weeks in search of victims and possible evidence removed more than 22 million pounds of concrete and debris from the site, authorities said.

“It may take years for their report to become public,” Goldberg said.

The cause of the devastating collapse is still unclear, but the tower was said to have major structural problems and was undergoing a mandatory recertification process when half of the building came down.

Documents that emerged after the incident showed that an engineer warned condo owners in 2018 that he found serious damage to a slab of concrete beneath the pool and major “cracking” in the beams of the walls in the parking garage. The president of the condo’s board referred to those findings when she wrote a letter to residents in April to inform that the damage had “gotten significantly worse.”

Just over two months later, the oceanfront tower crashed to the ground in the middle of the night as many of the victims were likely sleeping.

As of Wednesday, 95 of the 97 bodies recovered so far have been identified. Several of them were children, with a 1-year-old baby among them.

Despite the many deaths and unprecedented tragedy, some residents want the tower to be rebuilt so they can move back in. But others say the property, which is worth about $100 million, should become a memorial to honor the victims or a combination of both.

“I personally would never set foot in a building. That’s a gravesite,” owner Raysa Rodriguez told the judge during the hearing. “I wake up in the middle of the night thinking of everyone who perished.”

Mayor Dan Gelber, of neighboring Miami Beach, has offered a tract of land in his city for a possible Surfside memorial.

The judge said all options are on the table and that any memorial would have to be paid for with taxpayers’ money, “not these particular victims.”










visit this link https://www.nydailynews.c .. vpy-story.html
+1   



best
worst
10 comments
 

 1 week ago '18        #2
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 62191 62 K  Slaps total: 4998 4 K
thats nothing...

 1 week ago '20        #3
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 36091 36 K  Slaps total: 6934 6 K
Will it be enough for tenents to relocate

 1 week ago '04        #4
jsmooth-117 
Props total: 38775 38 K  Slaps total: 3926 3 K
fu*k who’s getting paid, I want to know who’s going to jail and how quickly it’ll happen. From what I’ve read this sounds like negligence on the companies behalf.
+6   

 1 week ago '17        #5
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 172915 172 K  Slaps total: 12162 12 K
Still can't replace the lives of those lost.
+2   

 1 week ago '13        #6
rifair 
Props total: 10854 10 K  Slaps total: 2469 2 K
 jsmooth-117 said
fu*k who’s getting paid, I want to know who’s going to jail and how quickly it’ll happen. From what I’ve read this sounds like negligence on the companies behalf.
Its a way bigger problem all of Miami is destined to be fu*ked with raising sea levels but they keep selling and building houses
+1   

 1 week ago '20        #7
Bighempin 
Props total: 7591 7 K  Slaps total: 994 994
Each? Or do they gotta split it.
-3   

 1 week ago '11        #8
shellz386 
Props total: 12374 12 K  Slaps total: 1866 1 K
They gonna let all those old a*s erroded buidlings collapse and put up some luxary sh*t.

 1 week ago '17        #9
zackattack  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 24908 24 K  Slaps total: 2079 2 K
 jsmooth-117 said
fu*k who’s getting paid, I want to know who’s going to jail and how quickly it’ll happen. From what I’ve read this sounds like negligence on the companies behalf.
Right now it's a crime scene being controlled by the police. They won't even let the structural engineer the city hired in to do his a*sessment. So it sounds like the city has some trouble on it's hands too.

 1 week ago '04        #10
qutaboi225  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 44245 44 K  Slaps total: 5475 5 K
150 million divided by 97 percent people? 1.5Ms minus any fees for dying in a negligent sh*t show?

 1 week ago '11        #11
Brolicballer13 
Props total: 7380 7 K  Slaps total: 374 374
The building and the land when it was standing was worth
More than 150M’s


Property cost in Miami is sky high
And to quote somebody from another thread
“God ain’t making no more land either”



Sign me up
 
 

yesterday...


most viewed right now
-23online now  9
Whatever happen to that kristine leahy chick
56 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+95online now  6
Video inside Jul 29 - Anti Vacc Restaurant Owner Interview With CNN Is Next Level
349 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+30online now  6
Video inside Wayne new chain
48 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  5
The Ascent Reviews are in
227 comments
2 days ago
@games
back to top
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy