Discussion: Master of the Universe - Kevin Smith emasculates He-Man? It's a female now.

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '17        #1
662 page views
18 comments

Coffee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 42472 42 K  Slaps total: 8985 8 K
Discussion: Master of the Universe - Kevin Smith emasculates He-Man? It's a female now.

I haven't seen the MOTU yet, but I remember chatter a week or so ago about MOTU being some feminist drivel.

He gives up the Sword to a Woman basically, THAT WAS THE RUMOR.

What are BX's thoughts on Kevin Smith potentially betraying He-Man and it being another example of the feminist bait and switch? Basically, take a property, portray a strong male lead....then SURPRISE...it's a feminist rinse of the genre, character, etc, we saw this with

- The Witcher
- Lovecraft Country
- and others? (Post your example)

He-Man to She-Man.

Last edited by Coffee; 07-21-2021 at 09:38 AM..

best
worst
18 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
Coffee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
Props total: 42472 42 K  Slaps total: 8985 8 K
Reviews are pouring in.

Grace loves anything that even remotely is feminist.

Hancock usually has strong takes though.

2 months ago '04        #3
SCENE 
Props total: 1480 1 K  Slaps total: 199 199
 Coffee said
I haven't seen the MOTU yet, but I remember chatter a week or so ago about MOTU being some feminist drivel.

He gives up the Sword to a Woman basically, THAT WAS THE RUMOR.

What are BX's thoughts on Kevin Smith potentially betraying He-Man and it being another example of the feminist bait and switch? Basically, take a property, portray a strong male lead....then SURPRISE...it's a feminist rinse of the genre, character, etc, we saw this with

- The Witcher
- Lovecraft Country
- and others? (Post your example)

He-Man to She-Man.
I'm confused as to why this was done...isn't there already the female character She-Ra
+5   

2 months ago '05        #4
rashcobar 
Props total: 15045 15 K  Slaps total: 2526 2 K
Is this real? He-Man is a woman now???

2 months ago '17        #5
1Oh 
Props total: 35947 35 K  Slaps total: 1563 1 K
Another bait & switch

I hate even using the term "too woke", but I think it has reached critical mass in the entertainment space.
+5   

2 months ago '04        #6
1000bluntz 
Props total: 34655 34 K  Slaps total: 8112 8 K
Kevin Smith is a disingenuous lying f*g**t.
+2   

2 months ago '14        #7
Los Pollos 
Props total: 18517 18 K  Slaps total: 9129 9 K
 1Oh said
Another bait & switch

I hate even using the term "too woke", but I think it has reached critical mass in the entertainment space.
I just don’t understand how these people put the woke bullsh*t over giving fans what they want.

It’s just bad business.
+2   

2 months ago '04        #8
knotmydayever 
Props total: 1128 1 K  Slaps total: 83 83
It was not good- animation was great but plot is meh
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '04        #9
zone3cp 
Props total: 136385 136 K  Slaps total: 14659 14 K
 knotmydayever said
How u see it?

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '04        #10
zone3cp 
Props total: 136385 136 K  Slaps total: 14659 14 K
 knotmydayever said
Never mind I found it

2 months ago '15        #11
edub911 
Props total: 6912 6 K  Slaps total: 1238 1 K
Ready watch it right now

2 months ago '17        #12
Pretty Tone 
Props total: 47849 47 K  Slaps total: 4019 4 K
It's been this way for a while now. k*ll bill might be one of a handful that came off as a organic female lead getting busy. This sh*t is regular now. That milkshake joint that just dropped way corny and try hard as fu*k and that f*ght scenes were super a*s. Came off like a Wayans spoof film.
+1   

2 months ago '06        #13
dagreat1_87 
Props total: 18040 18 K  Slaps total: 911 911
Yea, just watched it...I uh, don't know how to feel. They didn't technically make He-man a woman but he was still done wrong. Seems like they are going the transformers movie route like where they have optimus prime out of commission (captured, gone on a random quest, dead, etc) for most of the time until the very end.

2 months ago '05        #14
iggyemu 
Props total: 11073 11 K  Slaps total: 1559 1 K
I liked it. But yea I was disappointed at the start of episode two when I realized what was happening. Teela is just not interesting. But overall it had it's moments. There will be more so I"m sure He-man will have a bigger role. The villain won in the end. Lena Headey is at her Cersei best as Evil-lyn.

2 months ago '04        #15
tnice 
Props total: 19335 19 K  Slaps total: 722 722
im cool on this

2 months ago '07        #16
kuntree_swagger 
Props total: 2771 2 K  Slaps total: 245 245
Not having him , well having him
In flashbacks, and then getting him back, just to k*ll him again…. That sh*t was garbage…… why are we reinventing She-Ra disguised as Tela…. Who doesn’t have any fu*king weapons compared to the real man at arms…

The only interesting thing was the science over magic story line
+1   

2 months ago '07        #17
Daville502 
Props total: 7705 7 K  Slaps total: 487 487
I've watched the first few eps and plan to finish but the show is really about tela and her drama about being lied to about who heman really was. And I haven't checked the voice cast but I'd almost bet mo ey evil Lynn is voiced by cerci from game of throwns.

2 months ago '06        #18
John 
Props total: 2900 2 K  Slaps total: 126 126
Despite the leaked plot, I went in with an open mind and no expectations. I really wanted to like this, but it was very disappointing. I knew that Teela was going to be the focus, but I was hoping that they would elevate her without diminishing the other characters, and leave out the "I am woman hear me roar" angle.

They made Teela, Evil Lynn and an obscure character in Andra, the main focus, and sh*tted on Adam/He-Man, Duncan/Man-At-Arms and Skeletor. Some of the dialogue was bad, they overly praised Teela and made the men out to be no good and worthless.

I initially liked the idea of Adam looking physically weaker than He-man, but it came off as if it was not a juxtaposition of Adam and He-Man, but of Adam and Teela, making her the big strong woman and Adam the weak little man that she had to protect and save.

I watched the after show, and they had the nerve to say that this was a love letter to the fans that grew with the show. No, this was an insult to the fans of the show. And almost every voice actor claimed to be fans growing up, but several statements that they made indicated otherwise.

It would have been much better if they let Teela be great, without disregarding the other characters, and without the blatant pandering.
+1   

2 months ago '08        #19
ExNihilo 
Props total: 42110 42 K  Slaps total: 681 681
Technically it was Masters of The Universe, not He-Man & The Masters of The Universe, so the story was built around supporting characters. It should have been packaged as a movie, and let people know up front because based off the trailer, expectations weren't going to be met. I didn't have a problem with it, because it's setting up a storyline, but I see how people are calling it bait & switch.

Consumerism is going to try to include as many demographics as possible, including a female audience. Are people tripping off King Grayskull being black? I wonder if people would have cared if Man-At-Arms was the protagonist or it was called Teela & The Masters of The Universe?

Either way, I liked it. I think the trailers and set up were misleading, which will lead to bad press and may eventually keep it from getting greenlit.

As a old n*gga who grew up on He-Man, I'd be down to see where the story goes from here. I just wished it was packaged as a movie about Eternia without magic & He-Man, instead of a continuation of the He-Man series.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-89online now  31
[Fat Loss] final time i am going to show this. for all the haters who said i a..
159 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  15
Image(s) inside Ppp fraud detection list released
240 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+18online now  8
Image(s) inside R. Kelly Was Caught Piping Aliyah At 13 - Witness Testifies