Harlem Globetrotters want to be a NBA franchise

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

1 month ago '17        #1
1051 page views
30 comments

lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63274 63 K  Slaps total: 6129 6 K
Harlem Globetrotters want to be a NBA franchise

Dear NBA,

It's been a while since our last formal meeting. 72 years to be exact. But we still remember that day in 1949, when we faced off against your World Champion Lakers. And for the second year in a row, we were victorious.

Yet, back in the day, that was a rare sight. For much of America, Black players were literally blackballed from playing with and against White players.

Even though it was us, The Original Harlem Globetrotters, who brought the street game inside. Even though it was the ‘Trotters who popularized the behind the back inside out handle (à la Kyrie), the no look pass (à la LBJ), the dunk (à la The Freak), the fast break (à la Magic), the jump shot from half court (à la Steph) and invented the hook shot from half court (à la No One).

People say it was that game in 1949 that sparked the integration of the NBA. Three years after Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier, y'all finally allowed African American players to ball.

But instead of just letting us in, you took our players. The first Black player to sign an NBA contract - Nat Sweetwater Clifton, a Harlem Globetrotter. The first Black man to play in an NBA game - Earl Lloyd, another Globetrotter. While it was hard to see them go, we were proud of our young Black men for ushering in such a significant change to the game.

We continued to pack arenas and grow the game of basketball across the globe. When the NBA struggled to draw more than a few thousand fans, we agreed to schedule doubleheaders featuring the Globetrotters. As the NBA grew, you were able to attract the best Black players, but we remember who helped the NBA get it all started.

Don't get us wrong, we love what y'all have done recently and we are proud of how your players are standing up to make a difference in their communities. But don't get it twisted; basketball would not be what it is today without us.

You've played games in 17 countries. We've played in 122. We brought basketball to the world stage.

The world would have never heard of Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, if it wasn't for the Globetrotters.

We Spread Game!

Facts.

Back then, it was us; we were the ones who kept hope alive, and the game we all watch, play and love today … alive.

Congratulations on growing into a multi-billion-dollar industry with international endeavors and huge media deals. We've kept our heads down and focused on what means the most to us - world class basketball showmanship, uniting families and spreading joy of the game

So, if you really believe what you've been saying about social justice, going back to “normal” needs to look different. You can't just act like we don't exist anymore. It's time to right the wrongs and rewrite history. It's time for the NBA to honor what the Globetrotters have done for OUR sport, both here in the U.S. and around the globe.

Based on what we've already proven, we can field a team of talent on par with the pros of today, and we want the chance to do that. As a world renowned and legendary professional basketball team, we petition Commissioner Adam Silver, the NBA governors and the powers that be to grant The Original Harlem Globetrotters an NBA franchise. Not now, but right now!

Sincerely,

The Harlem Globetrotters

visit this link https://www.harlemglobetr .. com/NBA-Letter
+19   

best
worst
30 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
2 Pistolz 
Props total: 29478 29 K  Slaps total: 5227 5 K
+6   

1 month ago '16        #3
BMC1000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 21225 21 K  Slaps total: 4178 4 K

would luv to see it

the nba should at least let them play some preseason games instead of those euro squads
+18   

1 month ago '04        #4
gimmethat 
Props total: 9631 9 K  Slaps total: 1075 1 K
it´s time for the nba to change so why not let them join G league ,they need more teams anyway

G league should become the 2nd league in 5 to 10years and then implement a relegation system .
Force bad teams to play hard all season or end up in the g league
+18   

1 month ago '12        #5
Ricky Retardo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 39355 39 K  Slaps total: 3601 3 K
I have to process this...

But what the fu*k are they talking about? They are a charity basketball team that puts on exhibition games for entertainment.

Now they wanna be recognized in the NBA?

NOW?

Why would they need you when they can just sign your players as they been doing for decades?

And you allowed them.

Where's the leverage?

1 month ago '21        #6
Drippy B  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x65
Props total: 34688 34 K  Slaps total: 36771 36 K
Get them and 1 n*ggas tf outta here

1 month ago '07        #7
TH35 
Props total: 37521 37 K  Slaps total: 4092 4 K
Let em and let them get ran. It will at least be entertaining.
+1   

1 month ago '10        #8
trill jackson  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 106547 106 K  Slaps total: 11659 11 K
 BMC1000 said

would luv to see it

the nba should at least let them play some preseason games instead of those euro squads
nah nah i don't think they talking bout their current roster. i hope not. for it to be a serious thing they gotta be talking about ditching the clown ball and filling their roster with real nba players, just make them a real franchise in acknowledgement of their impact on the game. that between the legs behind the back dribbling stuff was marques haynes, you really can trace all that fly streetball sh*t back to them. i like how they're making people stop and think about their impact on the modern game. i'm with it if they're taking sh*t seriously and approaching it like a real franchise. it would be especially dope if they're ran by a black ownership group
+6   

1 month ago '16        #9
 trill jackson said
nah nah i don't think they talking bout their current roster. i hope not. for it to be a serious thing they gotta be talking about ditching the clown ball and filling their roster with real nba players, just make them a real franchise in acknowledgement of their impact on the game. that between the legs behind the back dribbling stuff was marques haynes, you really can trace all that fly streetball sh*t back to them. i like how they're making people stop and think about their impact on the modern game. i'm with it if they're taking sh*t seriously and approaching it like a real franchise. it would be especially dope if they're ran by a black ownership group
BX refuses to read

Based on what we've already proven, we can field a team of talent on par with the pros of today, and we want the chance to do that.

they dont play clown ball, they are very talented showmen and could definitely field a competitive roster

remember Skip aka Raffer Alston came from and1 and balled in the finals

1 month ago '09        #10
NLSP42  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 27992 27 K  Slaps total: 4742 4 K
Back in the beginning of the NBA the Trotters used to beat every NBA team
+7   

1 month ago '10        #11
quan3106  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 48743 48 K  Slaps total: 5093 5 K
Ownership and equity would mean a lot. I don’t imagine it happening but I’m glad I read their letter I learned more about how they contributed to the NBA..can’t be mad at speaking to be heard..
+2   

1 month ago '10        #12
trill jackson  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 106547 106 K  Slaps total: 11659 11 K
 BMC1000 said
BX refuses to read

Based on what we've already proven, we can field a team of talent on par with the pros of today, and we want the chance to do that.

they dont play clown ball, they are very talented showmen and could definitely field a competitive roster

remember Skip aka Raffer Alston came from and1 and balled in the finals
forget about the players on their roster. forget about fielding a team the way they're used to fielding teams. put afu*king team of fu*king nba talent together under the name of harlem globetrotters. forget the entertainment ball. i aint talking about an exhibition i'm talking about adam silver giving them a real basketball team. don't quote the thread im speaking to the people who commented in the thread before me
+2   

1 month ago '09        #13
Lupe Hunter  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17435 17 K  Slaps total: 2068 2 K
Not before the Harlem rens when Bob Johnson was the first to trademark his team, was one of best teams all time, they went out of business because they won so much. Had legit rivalry with original Celtics, beat the Chicago Globetrotters then eventually went on to win the first interracial tournament and actually had a shot of making the nba with the recommendation of the Original Celtics best player and coach of the Knicks at the time and only lost because of racism.

Restore the legacy and make it right for Bob Johnson
+3   

1 month ago '16        #14
 trill jackson said
forget about the players on their roster. forget about fielding a team the way they're used to fielding teams. put afu*king team of fu*king nba talent together under the name of harlem globetrotters. forget the entertainment ball. i aint talking about an exhibition i'm talking about adam silver giving them a real basketball team. don't quote the thread im speaking to the people who commented in the thread before me
then it wouldnt mean sh*t

they consider themselves a real team already

they used to beat the NBA and NCAA's a*s back in the day
+1   

1 month ago '16        #15
beast9318 
Props total: 1177 1 K  Slaps total: 193 193
This would be good for ball. I would watch.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #16
Hoggystyle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 74886 74 K  Slaps total: 8353 8 K
I mean they’d sell more tickets than majority of the mid to low table franchises

1 month ago '16        #17
drizz 
Props total: 4549 4 K  Slaps total: 1150 1 K
If they bring on the globetrotters then they gotta bring on the generals too! Washington state generals... Seattle needs a team too.

1 month ago '19        #18
Airtight 
Props total: 12626 12 K  Slaps total: 1599 1 K
I've been to globetrotter games, I'd buy their merch

The real question is are they going to let white boys on the team like Alex Caruso's bald at 25 ol can I speak to the manager I am the manager head a*s

+2   

1 month ago '15        #19
Hellmatic 
Props total: 42055 42 K  Slaps total: 4303 4 K
Can't suck more than the knicks

1 month ago '18        #20
HoopLife88 
Props total: 35987 35 K  Slaps total: 4655 4 K
Gotta homie who played with them a year so ago. He really can't even play, just can jump out the gym. They wouldn't win a game if they joined the NBA

1 month ago '05        #21
EMPATHY  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x55
Props total: 95876 95 K  Slaps total: 55154 55 K
Nah

1 month ago '04        #22
D1nOnlyMrM@  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20026 20 K  Slaps total: 3008 3 K
I can dig it. Kinda think new York should have a team for Buffalo tho. But Harlem would be even more dope. The nba should really have 36 teams. It would help ease travel. Only problem is the east would have too many teams. (If you wanted to move Memphis or Minnesota)
+1   

1 month ago '21        #23
Tinfoil Kufi 
Props total: 945 945  Slaps total: 338 338
Low key I don't want to see that sh*t in the nba fu*k outta here

1 month ago '18        #24
BlaqThum 
Props total: 12532 12 K  Slaps total: 787 787
 gimmethat said
it´s time for the nba to change so why not let them join G league ,they need more teams anyway

G league should become the 2nd league in 5 to 10years and then implement a relegation system .
Force bad teams to play hard all season or end up in the g league
Like soccer?
+1   

1 month ago '20        #25
Tweezy12  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 33783 33 K  Slaps total: 11334 11 K
Next expansion should be a team in Harlem named the Globetrotters

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  53
Official 2021 Rolling Loud fu-kery Megathread
435 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+27online now  28
Is this the most obvious track written by someone else?
124 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  23
Image(s) inside an entire thread of gen z & millennials complaining about working at a..
175 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+42online now  19
Side Effects of the Vaccine
309 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy