Jun 23 - DC Fire: 6 injured after pedestrian bridge collapses in Northeast DC

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+49  77
81 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '04        #1
563 page views
18 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
Props total: 10458 10 K  Slaps total: 1052 1 K
Jun 23 - DC Fire: 6 injured after pedestrian bridge collapses in Northeast DC

Six people are left injured after a collision caused a pedestrian bridge to collapse in Northeast, D.C. on Wednesday, DC Fire and EMS said.

According to authorities, the bridge – located at Kenilworth Avenue and Polk Street, NE – collapsed just before noon. DC Fire and EMS officials are on the scene and checked for vehicles beneath the bridge and reported no one was trapped.

Officials said six people were checked out for injuries and five people were taken to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Deputy Mayor for Public Safety Chris Geldart said. DC Fire and EMS' hazmat unit is also on the scene cleaning up a diesel fuel leak from a truck that is partially beneath the bridge.

“Everything we see in the accident scene right now leads to this being a collision pulling the bridge off its mooring,” Geldart said during a news conference on the collapse. Geldart said that the findings in this investigation are still preliminary.

Traffic backups are reported on I-295 in the District just before the bridge.

Drivers should avoid the area if possible and seek alternative routes as officials are continuing to clean up and investigate the official cause of the collapse. All commuter access from Maryland onto southbound I-295 will into the District is closed until further notice.

Northbound traffic is being re-routed to Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue and southbound traffic is being diverted to Eastern Avenue. I-295 northbound and southbound lanes between Pennsylvania Avenue, SE and Eastern Avenue, NE are currently closed at this time.

I-295 in D.C. is expected to be closed through at least Thursday as officials are working to reconstruct the crash and clean up the debris left in the roadway.

At least four cars were seen trapped under the debris from the bridge. Officials said at least one other car was struck by the debris.

Neighbors in the area describe to WUSA9 hearing a loud bang and seeing smoke once the bridge collapsed onto I-295.

Vanecia Matthews was on her way home from a friend's house when she said the bridge nearly collapsed on her car.

“I feel like I would only see that in a movie. Final Destination, literally," Matthews said. "Everything might have happened in like eight seconds. It happened so fast. It snatched the bridge, and I was just watching everything as I'm stopping on brakes."

City officials tell WUSA9 that the bridge will have to be taken down in order for crews to efficiently investigate and rebuild it for commuters and pedestrians. D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said there were no structural concerns to the bridge itself, however, investigators will now inspect the other bridges along that road to prevent further collapses.

visit this link https://www.wusa9.com/art .. d-010559eb2e27
+3   

best
worst
18 comments

1 month ago '15        #2
TheCompanyMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16186 16 K  Slaps total: 1555 1 K
Yeezus.

1 month ago '20        #3
MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 14527 14 K  Slaps total: 2409 2 K
Just went through that area last week going to Pentagon City. SMH. That bridge isn't even that old, either.
@ @ @
+4   

1 month ago '09        #4
slayer2020 
Props total: 5216 5 K  Slaps total: 1519 1 K
Maryland drivers. For. sure.

Also, this has nothing on Atl’s everyday circumstance.

1 month ago '12        #5
Legit Jones 
Props total: 12410 12 K  Slaps total: 676 676
 MrDarkCloud said
Just went through that area last week going to Pentagon City. SMH. That bridge isn't even that old, either.
@ @ @
idk what's old for a bridge but that sh*t been there my whole 32 years of life lol.. Traffic is fu*ked up on 295 right now.
+4   

1 month ago '09        #6
LOONATIK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 41447 41 K  Slaps total: 5132 5 K
Trash infrastructure in this great and wonderful country of ours.
+4   

1 month ago '20        #7
 Legit Jones said
idk what's old for a bridge but that sh*t been there my whole 32 years of life lol.. Traffic is fu*ked up on 295 right now.
Has it really? I was just talking to my neighbor and he was like, that sh*t hasn't been there that long. We was both a little fried, tho

I was just on 295 headed back into the city coming from Arundel Mills and traffic was sh*t. Now it makes sense. I didn't even know what happened until I parked at my crib smh.
+2   

1 month ago '15        #8
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
Props total: 59790 59 K  Slaps total: 7691 7 K
Infrastructure no bueno

1 month ago '06        #9
authenic 
Props total: 4845 4 K  Slaps total: 1320 1 K
 MrDarkCloud said
Has it really? I was just talking to my neighbor and he was like, that sh*t hasn't been there that long. We was both a little fried, tho

I was just on 295 headed back into the city coming from Arundel Mills and traffic was sh*t. Now it makes sense. I didn't even know what happened until I parked at my crib smh.
yea bruh lying cuz all them apratments on the other side is what they was built for and like bruh said they been there . ... that area always under construction because its across the street from the south sideeeeee....I live off 295 out arundel glad Im ot for the week
+1   

1 month ago '20        #10
 authenic said
yea bruh lying cuz all them apratments on the other side is what they was built for and like bruh said they been there . ... that area always under construction because its across the street from the south sideeeeee....I live off 295 out arundel glad Im ot for the week
I'm rarely on 295 unless I'm headed out Pentagon City, which is rare. If I'm headed into D.C., I'm usually on the blue line or on New York Ave.

I gotta pay more attention to my surroundings.

1 month ago '05        #11
JohnnyCage202  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 72869 72 K  Slaps total: 3152 3 K
Man that section of 295 has always been “you people’s highway” ever since I was a kid...

+1   

1 month ago '06        #12
daffysm 
Props total: 6323 6 K  Slaps total: 3076 3 K
how does this even happen?

1 month ago '04        #13
CodyThaGod  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2300 2 K  Slaps total: 59 59
Drove that last week. It’s always wild drivers over there. I stay in NE DC but closer to Rhode Island Metro. Glad no one died. Heal up and get paid. Messed up traffic on all highways in that area today.
+1   

1 month ago '04        #14
deziking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29076 29 K  Slaps total: 3012 3 K
i thought it was truck driver kept his sh*t up in the air from comments twitter. Not sure must be sh*t infrastructure also.

mfer probably like

1 month ago '12        #15
Legit Jones 
 MrDarkCloud said

Yeah I grew up in NE by Brookland and used to take 295 on the regular growing up to see my grandparents on the southside (41st & southern ave) and that sh*t always been there. Back in the day it aint used to be no traffic in the DC, we could get cross town in 15 mins.. now that sh*t a whole 45 min trip
+2   

1 month ago '16        #16
Brucebaner2 
Props total: 12039 12 K  Slaps total: 4372 4 K
I literally live 2 min from this exit.
+2   

1 month ago '12        #17
Legit Jones 
 MrDarkCloud said
I'm rarely on 295 unless I'm headed out Pentagon City, which is rare. If I'm headed into D.C., I'm usually on the blue line or on New York Ave.

I gotta pay more attention to my surroundings.

+2   

1 month ago '04        #18
D1nOnlyMrM@  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20693 20 K  Slaps total: 3105 3 K
Crazy. Hope they all continue to get well and no one dies.
+1   

1 month ago '21        #19
LuxG2 
Props total: 12673 12 K  Slaps total: 2215 2 K
 Legit Jones said

That’s crazy
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  9
Video inside 9trey Blood member Billy Ado claims Rainbow hair snitch 9 is gonna get ..
85 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+112online now  5
Styles cutting deep 👀
105 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+25online now  5
Maga Nick Bosa gf yall