Warriors options at #7 and #14 in the 2021 draft

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

3 months ago '04        #1
4378 page views
204 comments

!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 115369 115 K  Slaps total: 18121 18 K
Warriors options at #7 and #14 in the 2021 draft

Golden State’s most likely scenario came to fruition, as the Warriors will have two picks in the top 14 of July 29’s NBA draft, including Minnesota’s first-round pick. But after missing the playoffs the last two years, Warriors GM Bob Myers is determined to put the rebuilding behind the organization.

“We’re not trying to develop players at the risk of losing,” Myers said in a news conference following Tuesday night’s draft lottery. “We’re not going to develop and have it cost us games. That’s not the plan.”

The annual draft lottery gave Golden State the seventh and 14th overall picks in the draft. Golden State held the 14th and last spot in the lottery after missing the playoffs by losing the Los Angeles Lakers and Memphis Grizzlies in the play-in tournament. That gave the Warriors just a 2.4% chance of moving up.

Meanwhile, most of the intrigue pertained to the Timberwolves’ pick that the Warriors acquired in the 2020 trade that sent D’Angelo Russell to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins. That pick, which was slotted sixth in the lottery, was protected for selections 1-3. Minnesota would keep the pick only if it jumped into the top three.

So while the best-case scenario would have been Golden State’s own pick jumping to the top spot and Minnesota’s landing at No. 4, the far more probable scenario involved something along the lines of the Warriors’ own pick staying at 14 and Minnesota’s landing in the middle of the lottery.

The Pistons got the first overall pick, followed by the Rockets, Cavaliers, Raptors, Magic, Thunder, Warriors, Magic, Kings, Pelicans, Hornets, Spurs and Pacers.

With the seventh pick, the Warriors won’t likely have a chance to select one of the draft’s consensus top-five prospects: Oklahoma City’s Cade Cunningham, USC’s Evan Mobley, Gonzaga’s Jalen Suggs and G League Ignite’s Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga. However, they will be in line to select from the next tier of prospects that includes Florida State’s Scottie Barnes, Baylor’s Davion Mitchell, Duke’s Jalen Johnson, Tennessee’s Keon Johnson, Michigan’s Franz Wagner and others.

At 14, players such as Gonzaga’s Corey Kispert, Australia’s Josh Giddey, Oregon’s Chris Duarte and Stanford’s Ziaire Williams and others could be available.

“Having two swings in what we think is a really, really good draft is important for many reasons,” Myers said.

The Warriors front office is comfortable with the notion of adding two rookies to a roster topped by an aging core. While last year’s second-overall pick James Wiseman failed to make a consistently positive impact last season, management is betting that he and Golden State’s other young players can find ways to contribute.

“There are some guys that are older than help you more [and] there are younger guys that can help you,” Myers said. “But then you weigh it against what you can do with those picks.”

Golden State could try to trade one or both of these picks for more experienced help for Stephen Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson, or package them to move up in the draft.

Curry, Green and Thompson will have input in Golden State’s decision-making process. It would be understandable if they preferred to add more experienced players that can help more immediately, but doing so could be complicated since the Warriors don’t have cap space this summer. While trading the picks is possible, it is also complicated. Golden State could not technically move the picks on draft night for veteran help. Instead, it would have to agree to a deal, draft the player with the other team in mind, sign him, then consummate the deal 30 days later.

Whatever the Warriors do with their picks, at least they know now where they will be selecting. It’s still early in the process, with the draft combine happening this week in Chicago. But the offseason starts now.

“I hope they trust that we have a sense of what we are doing,” Myers said of Curry, Green and Thompson. “I have no idea right now what we can do with 14 or 7 or them together, and I’m sure we’ll find out and make the best decision we can.”

Lets get it Dub Nation:

@#JewLife @06roll @29 26 @Airtight @Andrefrbk @AlBooBoo @AlmightySae @BallDontLie @big leo 415 @bi0 @CALL AGAIN @Capimp @CarlozRossi @chirpflare @Conley Island @CurryDaGoat @Dice City @Dunknown24 @EastBay Mufasa @eliwood @ElQueHablaSucio @EMER1TUS @fcm415 @Figueroa @franchise @frenchalexander @Funeral Barb @goodhustlekid @HeckDaMonsta @HiShinUnit @Infamous1 @Keyser Soze @KingKPTII @Lil Shrek @MichaelVickStan @MomsDigMe @Mr Malia Obama @NateRight @nodayzoffatl @onlyonesmoke @PhilthyRich @Pilscy @Pretty Tone @prettyklever @randomguy @Samich Eater @Sickstrumentals @SoulOnIce02 @Still Numskull @Suave Mente @The Bearded One @The Scenario @Tranquilo @trb_5 @VerbalAssassin @WoodPipe @Zirov
+16   

best
worst
204 comments

3 months ago '04        #2
!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13 OP
In Myers We trust.

+21   

3 months ago '08        #3
Diamond_V  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 10058 10 K  Slaps total: 3514 3 K
Curry
Klay
Derozan
Green
Leonard Myers

3 months ago '18        #4
Infamous1 
Props total: 13501 13 K  Slaps total: 3866 3 K
Whatever happens happens, I'm just so glad we were able to get that 7th pick
+13   

3 months ago '04        #5
 Infamous1 said
Whatever happens happens, I'm just so glad we were able to get that 7th pick
We're gonna get a solid player no matter who it is.
+9   

3 months ago '05        #6
J 
Props total: 7558 7 K  Slaps total: 2046 2 K
Scottie Barnes should be y'all dream scenario. Absolutely perfect fit.
+3   

3 months ago '04        #7
 J said
Scottie Barnes should be y'all dream scenario. Absolutely perfect fit.
He is but I don’t see him making it past OKC and Orlando.
+2   

3 months ago '19        #8
aaf192020 
Props total: 44116 44 K  Slaps total: 4331 4 K
Package the picks with Weisman for good fits for that offense. I was totally wrong on Weisman last year. I thought he'd be more aggressive and he wasn't. GS doesn't have the time to waste on him developing like my Lakers wasted on Kuz. He may never be what you think he can be.

Klay, Curry, and Co. just need decent veterans around them.

I wish the Lakers had some options like this but we're retarded.

Last edited by aaf192020; 06-23-2021 at 01:40 PM..
+2   

3 months ago '11        #9
eliwood 
Props total: 26164 26 K  Slaps total: 1609 1 K
Dont know much about these prospects I'm just hoping to get some young depth and upside down the road. It's hard to find a balance for competing for titles while still developing guys for the post-Curry and Klay era. That being said, with how good Curry was this season I understand if they want to go all in but I'd prefer them to be realistic and develop guys

Pretty sure Oubre is a goner
+1   

3 months ago '18        #10
CurryDaGoat  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 27169 27 K  Slaps total: 15197 15 K
I’d like to see them package it for a vet. 3 and d guys.

Let wiseman develop.

3 months ago '05        #11
Bx_Bomberz 
Props total: 27144 27 K  Slaps total: 7809 7 K
Moses Moody
+2   

3 months ago '07        #12
r.burgundy 
Props total: 26478 26 K  Slaps total: 4617 4 K
only option is a trade lol.
those 2 picks and some combo of oubre/wiggins should get them something good
+2   

3 months ago '05        #13
Bx_Bomberz 
Props total: 27144 27 K  Slaps total: 7809 7 K
to me the most likely player that could get selected with either of those picks is Moses Moody
+7   

3 months ago '06        #14
WigzBeenSplit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 8377 8 K  Slaps total: 3594 3 K
If they get Josh Giddey and Scottie that’s a huge W but I see Scottie going before

3 months ago '15        #15
Teddy KGB 
Props total: 83405 83 K  Slaps total: 9888 9 K
 !!! said
With the seventh pick, the Warriors won’t likely have a chance to select one of the draft’s consensus top-five prospects: Oklahoma City’s Cade Cunningham, USC’s Evan Mobley, Gonzaga’s Jalen Suggs and G League Ignite’s Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga. However, they will be in line to select from the next tier of prospects that includes Florida State’s Scottie Barnes, Baylor’s Davion Mitchell, Duke’s Jalen Johnson, Tennessee’s Keon Johnson, Michigan’s Franz Wagner and others.]
Honestly, I think Tre Mann would be a great fit with the Warriors. People sleeping on him a little, but I think he’s more skilled than Cade Cunningham. He has that flash that would go well with Steph. Great shooter as well.

+2   

3 months ago '04        #16
 eliwood said
Dont know much about these prospects I'm just hoping to get some young depth and upside down the road. It's hard to find a balance for competing for titles while still developing guys for the post-Curry and Klay era. That being said, with how good Curry was this season I understand if they want to go all in but I'd prefer them to be realistic and develop guys

Pretty sure Oubre is a goner
Oubre's gone. Best case scenario is find a team to do a sign and trade so we can get something back for him (we'll probably have to toss in a pick or player) but that requires Oubre approving the team and the team getting him being ok with being hard capped.
+3   

3 months ago '04        #17
 Bx_bomberz said
to me the most likely player that could get selected with either of those picks is Moses Moody
If he falls to #14 I wouldn't mind him or Williams. Is there a big difference between how much better Moody is over Williams? I'm seeing Moody go at around #10 and Williams going in the mid-teens.
+1   

3 months ago '04        #18
Dash  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 90227 90 K  Slaps total: 6545 6 K
Warriors finna reload next yr, shyt finna be a movie.

trade them damn kids to get Steph back where he deserves ....
+8   

3 months ago '06        #19
soso24  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 67602 67 K  Slaps total: 8136 8 K
Siakam & Boucher for Wiseman, Wiggins, & both 1st rd picks

3 months ago '04        #20
 soso24 said
Siakam & Boucher for Wiseman, Wiggins, & both 1st rd picks

+19   

3 months ago '17        #21
CJ Schwarz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 82912 82 K  Slaps total: 4715 4 K
Silver looked out for the Warriors tonight.
+2   

3 months ago '06        #22
soso24  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 67602 67 K  Slaps total: 8136 8 K
 !!! said

Siakam needs a change of scenery away from Nick Nurse with an opportunity to be an OVERQUALIFIED third scoring option on a contender...

Raptors need a big and Wiggins goes back to Canada...
+1   

3 months ago '18        #23
back1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 10415 10 K  Slaps total: 4122 4 K
DeRozan and Poeltl would be a good trade. Also Lavine would be good as well.

3 months ago '04        #24
 soso24 said
Siakam needs a change of scenery away from Nick Nurse with an opportunity to be an OVERQUALIFIED third scoring option on a contender...

Raptors need a big and Wiggins goes back to Canada...
I'm not giving away Wiseman and the picks just because Siakim is slightly better than Wiggins. And we gave Boucher his start. I doubt we bring him back.
+6   

3 months ago '04        #25
 back1 said
DeRozan and Poeltl would be a good trade. Also Lavine would be good as well.
DeRozan is UFA. Only way to get him is a sign and trade which would hard cap us which isn't going to work.

If the Bulls would do Wiggins, #14, future 1st rounder and filler for Lavine I'd consider it.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  8
Video inside Sep 26 - 75 year old man convinced by Anti Vaxxers to leave hospital di..
102 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+28online now  8
Article inside Fewer men attending college is leading toward "mating crisis", says N..
270 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  7
Kyrie Irving could skip Nets home games because of ‘oppressing’ vaccine ma..
152 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  5
Video inside Sep 25 - Dog The Bounty Hunter Enters The Chat; Goes To Home Of Brian L..
60 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy