ESPN: SIXERS have plan to address SIMMONS' shooting, DOC says they will do "the right way"

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+71  134
97 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

1 month ago '08        #1
1459 page views
51 comments

bkid  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 19183 19 K  Slaps total: 1642 1 K
ESPN: SIXERS have plan to address SIMMONS' shooting, DOC says they will do "the right way"

is this a shot to Ben's father (longtime trainer)?

The idea that Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons will spend the offseason improving his shooting stroke has become an annual discussion in Philadelphia.

That certainly will be the case again this offseason, after Simmons melted down at the foul line -- and disappeared from Philadelphia's offense -- as the 76ers collapsed and bowed out of the playoffs, losing in seven games to the Atlanta Hawks.

But not 24 hours after his team's season was over, 76ers coach Doc Rivers said Monday that he believes this summer will be different for Simmons. Why? Because, according to Rivers, not only is Simmons willing to do the work but the Sixers have a plan to address his shooting woes that will involve doing "the right work" and doing it "the right way."

"I believe, without going into detail with what we're doing, I believe we know what the right work is, and the right type of work, and the right way to do it," Rivers said when asked why this offseason will be different as far as Simmons' shooting goes.

"You can do the work all the time. But if it's not done in the right way and the right type of work, you may not improve. After being here for a year, I really do believe we've identified what and how, and now we have to do the do part. We have to work to do it. It's not going to be an easy job. But it's definitely a job that Ben can do."

Simmons is doubtful to play for Australia in the Tokyo Olympics and is expected to finalize the decision in the next day or two, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst. He plans to spend the summer on skill development. The Australians are medal contenders and scheduled to begin training this week in Los Angeles and are scheduled to play Team USA in two exhibition games next month in Las Vegas.

Ever since he stepped onto a court in a Sixers uniform at the start of the 2017-18 NBA season, Simmons has shown plenty of upside, including his size and quickness, his excellent passing and being one of the league's most versatile defenders.

It's a package that has led to Simmons being named to three All-Star teams and an All-NBA team and winning the 2018 Rookie of the Year award. It's also a package that has noticeably lacked an outside shot. And while that has often revolved around Simmons being an unwilling 3-point shooter, in these playoffs Simmons went from being a 60% foul shooter in the regular season, the territory he has been in for each of his four NBA seasons, to 34.2% in the postseason.

"I ain't shoot well from the line this series," Simmons said after the Game 7 loss Sunday night. "Offensively, I wasn't there. I didn't do enough for my teammates. ... There's a lot of things that I need to work on."

Rivers said that the team has to make Simmons a more confident foul shooter -- and that if that can happen, everything else will fall into place.

"We're not hiding that Ben has to become a better free throw shooter and a more confident free throw shooter," Rivers said. "If that happens, I really believe a lot of other parts of his game follows. I said that, if you remember, before the season started. First thing I said was, 'We got to get him to the line 10 times a night.' And to want to get to the line 10 times a night. So we've got to put in work so he can get there. But if we can get him there, man, his game goes to a different level."

Rivers also made waves in the immediate aftermath of Philadelphia's loss when he said "I don't know" in response to a question about whether Simmons can be a championship-level point guard.

Monday, Rivers tried to backtrack a bit, repeatedly saying he believes in Simmons and has confidence he can make the necessary improvements to help the Sixers shake off the devastating disappointment that was losing this series after finishing the regular season with the best record in the Eastern Conference.

"I am positive in Ben," Rivers said. "I'm very bullish on Ben still. But there's work. There's work. There is. And Ben will be willing to do it. Sometimes you have to go through stuff to see it, and be honest with it.

"Obviously what Ben just went through ... I can't imagine that. Because he has so much greatness in all the things around him that he does, and there's areas he can fix quickly, in my opinion, and get better, that will take him to another level. And, you know, sometimes you don't know why you're in different places, you know what I mean? But this may be one of them, and I look at this as a great challenge, but definitely a doable one."
+8   

best
worst
51 comments

1 month ago '21        #2
King856 
Props total: 8378 8 K  Slaps total: 3197 3 K
Doc a garbage a*s coach. Hasn’t made it out of the 2nd round in 10 years. Now he gonna fix the mental midget who starts peeing his pants when he sees an open shot ?
+10   

1 month ago '07        #3
Pos 
Props total: 16306 16 K  Slaps total: 2660 2 K
Ben need to get in the gym with Harden
+4   

1 month ago '13        #4
FlareMafia 
Props total: 7317 7 K  Slaps total: 523 523
 Pos said
Ben need to get in the gym with Harden
76ers shoulda traded this n*gga for Harden when the opportunity was there. They would be facing the Bucks had they made that move.
+16   

1 month ago '10        #5
trill jackson  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 107467 107 K  Slaps total: 11727 11 K
i'll tell you who aint scared to shoot....maxey
+11   

1 month ago '07        #6
Pos 
Props total: 16306 16 K  Slaps total: 2660 2 K
 FlareMafia said
76ers shoulda traded this n*gga for Harden when the opportunity was there. They would be facing the Bucks had they made that move.
Agreed, Iím on record being in favor of the trade

I just donít think Houston wanted to deal with Philly
+3   

1 month ago '16        #7
Glock Rivers  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 72048 72 K  Slaps total: 9085 9 K
Deport this n*gga already
+6   

1 month ago '21        #8
Drippy B  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x65
Props total: 34694 34 K  Slaps total: 36778 36 K
Need more qualified coaches someone hire Stockton asap

1 month ago '05        #9
JohnnyCage202  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 72868 72 K  Slaps total: 3152 3 K
How the fu*k you get all the way to the league and THEN learn how to shoot?
+14   

1 month ago '17        #10
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 159169 159 K  Slaps total: 56569 56 K
So in other words. He's not getting traded and Sixers are riding with him.. It's great that they have their player's back but fam if this doesn't work out then things could get ugly.
+9   

1 month ago '15        #11
kami  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 46690 46 K  Slaps total: 22029 22 K
 King856 said
Doc a garbage a*s coach. Hasnít made it out of the 2nd round in 10 years. Now he gonna fix the mental midget who starts peeing his pants when he sees an open shot ?
Why canít doc live off his ring like all the other coaches?
+3   

1 month ago '21        #12
King856 
Props total: 8378 8 K  Slaps total: 3197 3 K
 kami said
Why can’t doc live off his ring like all the other coaches?
What coach in league today living off a 14 year old ring and only got 1.

1 ring w 4 hall of famers.

Plus I’m a sixers fan fu*k a Celtics ring fu*k outta here

1 month ago '10        #13
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 74913 74 K  Slaps total: 16532 16 K
Ben Simmons is a part of a video game crew

Y’all think he don’t know he can’t shoot?

Doc Rivers is not a shooting coach. He had Rondo for years never made him a shooter.

This is posturing for the trade negotiations

What a 24 hours
+6   

1 month ago '15        #14
kami  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 46690 46 K  Slaps total: 22029 22 K
 King856 said
What coach in league today living off a 14 year old ring and only got 1.

1 ring w 4 hall of famers.

Plus Iím a sixers fan fu*k a Celtics ring fu*k outta here
Rondo a ball of famer? Rick Carlisle has lived off 2011 for years.
+1   

1 month ago '12        #15
OG Leno317 
Props total: 6663 6 K  Slaps total: 1068 1 K
It’s crazy that I actually shoot better than an NBA player.

Don’t even slap cause I am a YMCA and a Refugee Temple Rec league 3x champ mvp and legend.
+5   

1 month ago '14        #16
215Philly  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 77376 77 K  Slaps total: 25924 25 K
 JohnnyCage202 said
How the fu*k you get all the way to the league and THEN learn how to shoot?
That just speaks to how great he is
+2   

1 month ago '19        #17
JBigDawg  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3447 3 K  Slaps total: 748 748
Unless Simmons makes a serious jump next szn I cant see Embiid staying there much longer.. maybe Miami??

1 month ago '20        #18
Ninjahood 
Props total: 3000 3 K  Slaps total: 273 273
 Pos said
Ben need to get in the gym with JR smith, Ricky Davis, swaggy P
Fixed.

Son need to lose his offensive shyness da same way shy dudes gain confidence baggin chicks, by going out for some drinks wit some of da worst shameless dogs you know that ain't seen a shot they won't take.

+3   

1 month ago '19        #19
zzxxccvvbb 
Props total: 26160 26 K  Slaps total: 3379 3 K
Back pedaling after sh*tting on him

I'll give River staff credit though. They did teach some guys to shoot in LA

Still fu*k Rivers though. Really want Ben Simmons to learn to shoot elsewhere
+1   

1 month ago '19        #20
zzxxccvvbb 
Props total: 26160 26 K  Slaps total: 3379 3 K
 Nautilus O said
Ben Simmons is a part of a video game crew

Yíall think he donít know he canít shoot?

Doc Rivers is not a shooting coach. He had Rondo for years never made him a shooter.

This is posturing for the trade negotiations

What a 24 hours
76ers staff did wonders with Fults too

1 month ago '11        #21
indagame 
Props total: 11095 11 K  Slaps total: 1042 1 K
The Process isn't over until we say it's over

1 month ago '20        #22
I Know  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 5434 5 K  Slaps total: 5494 5 K
No sh*t Philly would be fools to ship Simmons.

1 month ago '16        #23
Glock Rivers  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 72048 72 K  Slaps total: 9085 9 K
I aint mad at it , Hopefully they keep em

1 month ago '09        #24
Lupe Hunter  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18258 18 K  Slaps total: 2147 2 K
One name: Sam Cassell will get him right because he help Wall improve his shot and was automatic from anywhere mid range throughout his career with 3 rings.

That’s what’s basically Doc is saying. Ben former trainers didn’t know what the fu*k he’s doing so we basically said get in the gym with Sam or GTFO. Ben chose Sam

1 month ago '20        #25
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x127
Props total: 70617 70 K  Slaps total: 15206 15 K

Better get Zo’s coach

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+174online now  33
Video inside This Man Ditched This Girl & Let Her Pay The Bill After Seeing Her Post..
131 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+23online now  23
Maga Nick Bosa gf yall
224 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+29online now  20
Took his whole health bar bro.