Seinfeld Won’t Be Streaming Anywhere for a While, Fall release for NETFLIX

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '09        #1
901 page views
24 comments

rexplosive  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 13591 13 K  Slaps total: 1434 1 K
Seinfeld Won’t Be Streaming Anywhere for a While, Fall release for NETFLIX

visit this link https://www.vulture.com/2 .. flix-hulu.html

"It will not be the Summer of George.

As Vulture reported earlier today, Seinfeld — as long expected — is leaving Hulu this month. The legendary show about nothing will vanish from the Disney-owned streamer on June 23, nearly two years after Netflix paid handsomely to steal away global streaming rights. But in what will surely be sad news for stans of the series, Buffering has learned Seinfeld will not simply hop over to its new home the next day, or even the next week. In fact, industry insiders familiar with the situation tell us Jerry and Elaine and George and Kramer won’t land on Netflix until closer to the fall — September at the earliest — leaving Seinfeld digitally unhoused for a few months. So what’s the deal with the Seinfeld summertime interregnum?

Netflix isn’t talking just yet, so it’s hard to nail down the precise rationale for the delay. In theory, it’s possible the streamer’s deal with distributor Sony Pictures Television, announced in September 2019, doesn’t allow it to take possession of the series for a bit. What seems more likely, however, is that execs have purposely decided to put a bit of space between Seinfeld’s swan song on Hulu and its Netflix debut. If so, there are definite upsides to a pause.

For one, waiting awhile gives Netflix time to build an effective marketing campaign around the arrival of Seinfeld as a global streaming exclusive. When The Office left Netflix at the end of December, it immediately moved over to Peacock, which was in desperate need of a big, splashy title to drive sign-ups (or to at least get folks to check it out). But that also meant many of the stories about the show heading to Peacock had to share headline and story space with disgruntled — or at least annoyed — fans of The Office peeved they needed to pay for another streamer to see their show. That narrative was never going to play out with Seinfeld, since the number of Hulu subscribers who don’t also have Netflix is much smaller than Netflix subscribers who don’t get Peacock. Still, waiting ensures the story of Seinfeld streaming on Netflix is about only that.

What’s more, scarcity can often breed demand. (Just look at what happened when folks thought they might not be able to get gas for a week.) It sure seems logical Netflix might want to make folks miss Jerry and the gang just a smidge before bringing it back. But even if Netflix’s thought process doesn’t involve any of my amateur psychological analysis, it could well be that Netflix thinks it can make a bigger splash around Seinfeld in the fall, particularly given how the world is opening back up again and folks are doing stuff other than watching TV. It’s also possible Netflix’s programming schedulers (yes, they have those in streaming) believe some piece of original programming headed to the platform in the fall — perhaps a new stand-up special from Jerry? — might pair well with Seinfeld.

To be clear, I have no idea what exactly went into Netflix’s decision to delay (though I’ve been sniffing around to find out). But whatever the reason, because of its size and strength, the streamer clearly can afford to wait until it is most beneficial to its programming needs. This is, after all, not just another library-series add for Netflix. Stephen Battaglio of the Los Angeles Times, who broke the story of Seinfeld’s defection two years ago, reported at the time Netflix was shelling out more than a half-billion for rights to the show. The company has also been working with Sony to upgrade the series to 4K, something which doesn’t come cheap. And given Netflix has lost Friends and The Office within the last 18 months, Seinfeld gives the service a chance to win back some die-hard sitcom fans who’ve had less reason of late to use the service. I’d be shocked if this was something Netflix simply slipped into its monthly What’s New on Netflix newsletter without making any fuss. Its recommendation algorithm and homepage are obviously hugely powerful marketing tools, but this is the kind of a show you make a fuss about."
+1   

best
worst
24 comments

2 months ago '15        #2
Preacher Mane  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 61070 61 K  Slaps total: 3898 3 K
Netflix needs to drop that bread and get The Office back. I nor anyone else should pay for that cash grab peacock bullsh*t.
+9   

2 months ago '12        #3
The Consultant 
Props total: 53185 53 K  Slaps total: 3371 3 K
 Preacher Mane said
Netflix needs to drop that bread and get The Office back. I nor anyone else should pay for that cash grab peacock bullsh*t.
word.
pretty soon they gone charge to stream every single fkin channel. It's getting insane.

Everyone cut cable for a reason and now they trying to make all these dumb a*s streaming services and apps.

------
I got Seinfeld on DVD so I'm good till it hits Netflix

Last edited by The Consultant; 06-18-2021 at 04:36 PM..
+6   

2 months ago '09        #4
rexplosive  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7 OP
Props total: 13591 13 K  Slaps total: 1434 1 K
 Preacher Mane said
They tried to keep Office and Friends and their networks said nah
so Netflix dropped all their money on Seinfeld

Seinfeld about to blow up ...once it comes out.....
+3   

2 months ago '06        #5
DonYBE 
Props total: 19143 19 K  Slaps total: 1858 1 K
 Preacher Mane said
I'm getting Peacock free with my Xfinity Internet, Prime Video with my phone carrier. My wife gets free Hulu.

So we're sitting pretty.

+1   

2 months ago '15        #6
 DonYBE said
I'm getting Peacock free with my Xfinity Internet, Prime Video with my phone carrier. My wife gets free Hulu.

So we're sitting pretty.

Go to hell, respectfully.

+3   

2 months ago '06        #7
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 24160 24 K  Slaps total: 5265 5 K
Good. Everybody Loves Raymond, Fresh Prince, Friends > Seinfeld

I said it.

2 months ago '14        #8
breezeus313 
Props total: 8548 8 K  Slaps total: 496 496
 Storchaveli said

I said it.
Friends ? really
+10   

2 months ago '19        #9
GetYaCoinsKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 44249 44 K  Slaps total: 7817 7 K
 Storchaveli said

I said it.
I can't believe i use to enjoy watching Everybody Loves Raymond between the jealous brother and them always making Raymond look like the childish mommas boy; sh*t just seemed repetitive and boring.

Atleast Seinfeld's characters had personalities ie; Elaine, Cosmo, George etc.
+4   

2 months ago '04        #10
GUCCI C0ND0MS 
Props total: 14503 14 K  Slaps total: 12835 12 K
 Storchaveli said

I said it.
Catch this slap

2 months ago '06        #11
DonYBE 
Props total: 19143 19 K  Slaps total: 1858 1 K
 Preacher Mane said
Go to hell, respectfully.

+1   

2 months ago '07        #12
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 84127 84 K  Slaps total: 9258 9 K
Netflix comin thru like

2 months ago '05        #13
Rockstar718 
Props total: 33296 33 K  Slaps total: 2807 2 K
 Storchaveli said

I said it.
When I was younger I may have said something similar, but when I rewatch Seinfeld now it's easily one of the best written comedies ever.
+2   

2 months ago '04        #14
octane 
Props total: 6721 6 K  Slaps total: 1228 1 K
 Preacher Mane said
Right. Why should NBC's streaming service stream a show own by NBC? It would be nice if every show you watched was on one streaming service, but it would also be nice if my wife was addicted to saving money and sucking my d*ck.
+1   

2 months ago '06        #15
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33353 33 K  Slaps total: 4730 4 K
Eventually what’s gonna happen in my opinion is there will be an app that will package all these streaming services together into one bundle you can pick and choose which ones you want

Yea…. I know… it’s fu*king cable again.

2 months ago '05        #16
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 93442 93 K  Slaps total: 12396 12 K
Seinfeld Won’t Be Streaming Anywhere for a While
Umm yea it will
[spoiler - click to view]

+1   

2 months ago '15        #17
 octane said
Right. Why should NBC's streaming service stream a show own by NBC? It would be nice if every show you watched was on one streaming service, but it would also be nice if my wife was addicted to saving money and sucking my d*ck.
Community, The Good Place, Blacklist, the Law & Order franchise, Parks & Rec are popular NBC shows that are on Netflix.

Scrubs was an NBC show and is on Amazon Prime.

Seinfeld (the most successful TV show ever) was an NBC show and now it’s on Netflix.

Fresh Prince and Friends (the second most successful show) were NBC shows and are on HBO Max.

So no just because NBC owns the show doesn’t mean it has to be on their app. Netflix ever decides to drop a big enough bag, The Office will be back with them.

2 months ago '04        #18
1000bluntz 
Props total: 34142 34 K  Slaps total: 8021 8 K
They need to release it on blu-ray already.

2 months ago '16        #19
beast9318 
Props total: 1206 1 K  Slaps total: 195 195
It's on multiple cable channels ever weekday.

2 months ago '17        #20
Drewsmit 
Props total: 20196 20 K  Slaps total: 2796 2 K
But how…

2 months ago '18        #21
S-Class 
Props total: 82052 82 K  Slaps total: 7806 7 K
 Storchaveli said

I said it.
Disgraceful

2 months ago '17        #22
Obadiah1Verse18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 43254 43 K  Slaps total: 18751 18 K
Can’t say I’ve ever seen an episode, nor will I.

2 months ago '21        #23
Bignutz 
Props total: 29 29  Slaps total: 5 5
 Storchaveli said

I said it.
Are you a 45 year old woman? No self respecting man should ever watch friends.
+1   

2 months ago '04        #24
octane 
Props total: 6721 6 K  Slaps total: 1228 1 K
Those shows have contracts with those companies. Peacock is new. Thats why Seinfeld has moved around. There is no loyalty. There is just money. All the NBC shows that are not on Peacock will have a free agency period like an athlete and I'm sure NBCs goal is to get all of their shows back or at least the most popular ones. They just have to negotiate and outbid. Their first goal was to get the most popular show on streaming and build from there. This is Chicago drafting MJ.

2 months ago '17        #25
Pythagoras 
Props total: 39958 39 K  Slaps total: 8299 8 K
 octane said

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+62online now  22
Video inside Sheek Louch Says DIPSET Is P*SSY & CAMRON Almost GOT PACKED OUT By Ruff..
186 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+210online now  19
Rapper Jadakiss Arrested On murder Charges
109 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+175online now  15
Video inside The Moment When THE Versuz Swung to THE L.O.X