Jun 18 - The amount of heat the Earth traps has doubled in just 15 years

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+122  86
86 replies  @sports

most viewed right now
1 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '07        #1
1322 page views
46 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 83915 83 K  Slaps total: 9218 9 K
Jun 18 - The amount of heat the Earth traps has doubled in just 15 years

(CNN)The planet is trapping roughly double the amount of heat in the atmosphere than it did nearly 15 years ago, according to an alarming new analysis from NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Researchers say it's a "remarkable" amount of energy that is already having far-reaching consequences.

"It's excess energy that's being taken up by the planet," said Norman Loeb, a NASA scientist and lead author of the study, "so it's going to mean further increases in temperatures and more melting of snow and sea ice, which will cause sea level rise — all things that society really cares about."

The study, published this week in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, found that what's known as the Earth's energy imbalance — the difference between how much of the sun's energy the planet absorbs and how much energy is radiated back into space — approximately doubled from 2005 to 2019. The result was "striking," the research team wrote.

Life on Earth couldn't exist without the sun's energy, but it matters how much of that energy is radiated back into space. It's a delicate balance that determines the planet's climate.

In addition to higher global temperatures, the most obvious effect of a positive imbalance, Loeb told CNN "we're going to be seeing shifts in atmospheric circulations including more extreme events like droughts."

Using satellite data to measure the imbalance, scientists found that the Earth is gaining more energy than it should and causing the planet to heat up even more, also known as a positive energy imbalance.

Approximately 90 percent of the excess energy from this imbalance ends up in the ocean. And warming ocean temperatures lead to acidification, impacting fish and other marine biodiversity. When researchers compared the satellite measurements with data from a global array of ocean sensors, the findings exhibited a similar trend. The remaining energy, meanwhile, stays in the atmosphere.

The cause of this energy imbalance is certainly due in part to human-induced greenhouse gas emissions, the researchers report. It's also affected by some of the positive feedback loops caused by climate change: as global temperature increases, the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere also rises, which further increases the temperature. Melting snowpack and sea ice — natural reflectors of solar energy — is decreasing due to global warming as well.

Another contributing factor is how the Pacific Decadal Oscillation — often described as a longer term El Nińo-like climate pattern in the Pacific — stayed in a severely warm phase from 2014 through 2020. Because of this sudden flip from a cool to an extended warm phase, cloud cover over the ocean dwindled, allowing the Pacific Ocean to absorb more solar radiation.

"It's man-made change that's shifting the composition of the atmosphere, as well as fluctuations in the climate systems," Loeb said. "The observations are all kind of blended together."

Against the backdrop of the West's historic drought and extreme heat, the study warns that the amount of heat the Earth traps must decline, or climate change will continue to worsen.

Loeb described his team's chosen time period, 2005 to 2019, as a mere snapshot of what's to come in terms of climate impacts, adding that more studies and long-term observations need to be done in order to fully grasp the long-term trend.

"My hope is the rate that we're seeing this energy imbalance subsides in the coming decades," said Loeb. "Otherwise, we're going to see more alarming climate changes."
+9   

best
worst
46 comments

1 month ago '17        #2
Suburbz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28253 28 K  Slaps total: 3680 3 K
This the **** i be talking bout.
+6   

1 month ago '04        #3
young_fletch 
Props total: 3421 3 K  Slaps total: 571 571
Sound like the earth have an infection its trying to clear!

+34   

1 month ago '12        #4
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 176181 176 K  Slaps total: 10229 10 K
I don't know about all this, but I just got finished with doing my 5 mile jog at the park here in the ATL area and it's hot as sh*t outside
+13   

1 month ago '06        #5
jester2trife 
Props total: 6708 6 K  Slaps total: 1834 1 K
 OldBusiness said
I don't know about all this, but I just got finished with doing my 5 mile jog at the park here in the ATL area and it's hot as sh*t outside
Temps hitting 120 from just outside LA into Arizona. sh*ts no joke
+7   

1 month ago '12        #6
 jester2trife said
Temps hitting 120 from just outside LA into Arizona. sh*ts no joke
Bruh I don't know how y'all do it in Arizona. I took a class out there once and was telling my family every day GET ME OUT THIS sh*t. It was like 109 outside and the folks who were from out there were like "Yeah its not too bad outside today"

Only time in my life I had real life heat sickness. I realized I couldn't thug it out like I thought
+8   

1 month ago '04        #7
Chronos  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 24892 24 K  Slaps total: 708 708
I read that this morning and it makes since, Los Angeles been humid as hell lately and now that the heat is increasing it makes me feel like I'm back in the midwest. I used to jog early in the morning but it's been so humid I gotta wait now.
+5   

1 month ago '17        #8
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63482 63 K  Slaps total: 6135 6 K

+1   

1 month ago '07        #9
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56 OP
Props total: 83915 83 K  Slaps total: 9218 9 K
 OldBusiness said
word, bout to get back into running

what shoes you wear?

1 month ago '19        #10
GetYaCoinsKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 43966 43 K  Slaps total: 7782 7 K
 OldBusiness said
Got into my car yesterday and sh*t was registering 127 degrees and death Valley broke a record of 125 smh these temps are wild.
+2   

1 month ago '04        #11
Vince McMahon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 35359 35 K  Slaps total: 907 907
I remember scientists saying we had about 10 years before the planet was so royally fu*ked that nothing we do could reverse it. And that was back in 90s.
+4   

1 month ago '04        #12
Freaker1 
Props total: 892 892  Slaps total: 33 33
Motherfu*kers spraying sh*t all around the world.
That's the reason the heat gets trapped.
+4   

1 month ago '06        #13
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 23776 23 K  Slaps total: 5171 5 K
Republican politicians, who are obviously more qualified on this subject than NASA, told me there’s no such thing as global warming though.
+10   

1 month ago '20        #14
Ball Man  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5125 5 K  Slaps total: 367 367
This is a problem that can own lee be solved if everyone contributes, this is all on us... can't wait and rely on the government to do the right thing...
+3   

1 month ago '12        #15
ezduzit 
Props total: 38680 38 K  Slaps total: 3749 3 K
 young_fletch said
Sound like the earth have an infection its trying to clear!

We originated as bacteria/microbes. sh*t were literally made of it
+5   

1 month ago '16        #16
YungSplash 
Props total: 1314 1 K  Slaps total: 179 179
 Vince McMahon said
I remember scientists saying we had about 10 years before the planet was so royally fu*ked that nothing we do could reverse it. And that was back in 90s.
It was like some computer simulations that a few gave us until 2040 for a reversal or severe population loss and modern society collapse......
+4   

1 month ago '06        #17
jester2trife 
Props total: 6708 6 K  Slaps total: 1834 1 K
 Chronos said
I read that this morning and it makes since, Los Angeles been humid as hell lately and now that the heat is increasing it makes me feel like I'm back in the midwest. I used to jog early in the morning but it's been so humid I gotta wait now.
Weather getting worse here every year. Humidity is constantly 70% and up. The only thing out here that isnt pure trash is the weather and the beach. I live a half mile from the beach and its getting worse and worse. Once the weather officially flips, zero reason to be out here any longer. Imagine paying California prices and living in the Valley or Riverside county. Thats a special kind of stupid right there.
+1   

1 month ago '04        #18
franchise  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 12070 12 K  Slaps total: 1067 1 K
So 15 more years or less until everyone dies finally
+2   

1 month ago '07        #19
biged79 
Props total: 5940 5 K  Slaps total: 346 346
 OldBusiness said
Bruh I don't know how y'all do it in Arizona. I took a class out there once and was telling my family every day GET ME OUT THIS sh*t. It was like 109 outside and the folks who were from out there were like "Yeah its not too bad outside today"

Only time in my life I had real life heat sickness. I realized I couldn't thug it out like I thought
Man these mofos here in AZ built different. It was 116 today and I went to Frys market. Dude was in there walking around in a leather jacket with a sweater underneath and jeans. Straight fall attire.

I see people with coats and skullys on all the time here. Meanwhile I’m in hoop shorts and T-shirt’s trying not to have a heat stroke.
+5   

1 month ago '20        #20
Abso 
Props total: 17008 17 K  Slaps total: 2078 2 K
 yola said

We’re not gonna make it

1 month ago '15        #21
SmokinBigDope  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 13830 13 K  Slaps total: 2437 2 K
I mean... I only did drop my first mixtape in 06

Last edited by SmokinBigDope; 06-18-2021 at 10:08 PM..
+2   

1 month ago '12        #22
 biged79 said
Man these mofos here in AZ built different. It was 116 today and I went to Frys market. Dude was in there walking around in a leather jacket with a sweater underneath and jeans. Straight fall attire.

I see people with coats and skullys on all the time here. Meanwhile I’m in hoop shorts and T-shirt’s trying not to have a heat stroke.
Bruh gone have a got damn stroke
+3   

1 month ago '04        #23
WhoThaFuk 
Props total: 4274 4 K  Slaps total: 307 307
Well y’all said you wanted to watch the world burn…so, you know, I recycle…even though apparently only 7% of plastics can actually be recycled. I don’t litter, I use glass products as much as possible. Try not to drive leisurely often and keep my thermostat on 77. I’m making plans to move out of this unsustainable desert - Las Vegas, that keeps expanding all while our water source, Lake Mead is being drained. I’ve read there’s no plan for water after 2050 as I suspect the current leaders know they’ll be dead. Sheesh, I just want to meditate on a mountain, make beats and not be bothered.
+5   

1 month ago '17        #24
JacobWatch 
Props total: 43325 43 K  Slaps total: 2950 2 K
Last year I saw a clock that said we have 7 years left before global warming fu*ks us if we don’t change, but apparently everyone forgot about it and kept doing the same sh*t
+2   

1 month ago '15        #25
Lockwind 
Props total: 735 735  Slaps total: 584 584
 WhoThaFuk said
Well y’all said you wanted to watch the world burn…so, you know, I recycle…even though apparently only 7% of plastics can actually be recycled. I don’t litter, I use glass products as much as possible. Try not to drive leisurely often and keep my thermostat on 77. I’m making plans to move out of this unsustainable desert - Las Vegas, that keeps expanding all while our water source, Lake Mead is being drained. I’ve read there’s no plan for water after 2050 as I suspect the current leaders know they’ll be dead. Sheesh, I just want to meditate on a mountain, make beats and not be bothered.
Are they doing cloud seeding yet

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+38online now  22
Video inside Jeff Bezos on how important sleep is
109 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
-35online now  19
Real or fake : PJ Washington signs babymama Brittany Renner to 18 year dea..
51 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  17
Pro Skater: TERRY KENNEDY arrested for attempted murder; threatened cops ... ..
174 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+33online now  6
Jul 30 - CDC study shows 74% of people infected in outbreak were fully vaccina..
196 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy