First time studio setup what do you guys think

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
26 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '07        #1
5283 page views
129 comments

luck 
Props total: 303 303  Slaps total: 47 47
First time studio setup what do you guys think

I want your honest input on my studio setup no bullsh*t haters just honest and put and suggestions much appreciated
+59   

best
worst
129 comments

1 month ago '04        #2
patt24 
Props total: 11339 11 K  Slaps total: 1370 1 K
good luck with it. Some minor adjustments I would recommend if you don't want to spend too much in redoing it for the time being....

switch the desktop light for some cheap overhead LED track lighting from Ikea. Thats shining right in the MC eyes and it gets hot. LED wont significantly raise the temp in the room and you can get some rgb adjustable versions that could create a different vibe for an extra few bucks. Plus if you want to shoot some in the booth video, the track lighting wont flicker as bad as the regular bulbs. Avoid fluorescents.

put more on your walls also. Without going crazy $ wise you can get some cheap heavy duty blackout curtains with "no tools needed" bars to hang them from. Could get any color not just black. It looks cheap but for a home studio is does the job. I have a few of these I use to black out windows for video/film and they setup in about 5 minutes.

Would also switch the mic position the other way so the MC voice is as enclosed as possible.

Last edited by patt24; 06-17-2021 at 08:17 AM..
+23   

1 month ago '06        #3
whammy 
Props total: 14944 14 K  Slaps total: 981 981
I don't know what I'm talking but maybe you could create a booth out of the foam insulated panels that you get from Lowes and you could use PVC pipe or wood (If you want to spend the extra money.) to frame the booth. The video is kind of what I'm talking about. If you use PVC pipe you would be able take everything apart and slide it under a bed or a couch. Let us know when you have some music to share.

+13   

1 month ago '16        #4
seatownslayer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 2439 2 K  Slaps total: 758 758
 luck said
I want your honest input on my studio setup no bullsh*t haters just honest and put and suggestions much appreciated

Looks to me like ya missing some basics. Not sure how or why you got a mixer before a decent set of monitors and some studio headphones.
+8   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '21        #5
Mr Wendal  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 5226 5 K  Slaps total: 3024 3 K
No offense i would recomemd you taking some allegra before stepping on that dusty carpet
+4   

1 month ago '16        #6
Been producing for about 10 years now.. started right where u are at.. just take getting one peice at a time and honjng ya craft as ya go along. There is so much to learn in music producing I dont think I will ever stop learning

+48   

1 month ago '15        #7
Shifty  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14915 14 K  Slaps total: 2937 2 K
Don't buy some expensive a*s headphones. Buy two pairs of something that cost $100, or at most,, two pairs of M50x's. If you really want to buy headphones for mixing then look into Sennheiser 650s, or up. You don't mix or master songs in your headphones, that's what your studio monitors are for. Buy a reasonably priced large diaphragm microphone, and learn what gainstaging/not overloading your master is.

Acoustic panels are good, but don't get into treating your entire room until you've been doing that sh*t for a year or so. Yeah, there's reflections and all,, but you can bypass having to treat your room if you have a large enough room in the first place. The most I would do is just buy/create 3 panels, the most important one being the panel you'll put behind you and your mic (your mic in front of you and panel behind you), and have the other two on your left and right side. Also be mindful of the depth of your acoustic panels, the deeper the better absorption, the best being 10 inches or so (Gobos).

Also, don't get caught up in buying all of those expensive plugins, they just have slightly better parameters than the stock plugins your daw comes with. If you record it right, you won't need use the tools/plugins at all.

Your high-pass and low-pass filters are the best tools, and also learn how to sweep for resonant frequencies. Your moves should be subtle, no more than 2-3db reductions/boosts.

I don't know how much that mixer cost you, but you can buy a mixer that interacts with your daw for a decent price if you want to use USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt, but don't buy it now - just go buy yourself a trackball, because you can adjust the sensitivity and also modify the buttons to where you can click a button once and it'll hold onto whichever parameter you're adjusting.

Last edited by Shifty; 06-17-2021 at 06:12 PM..
+17   

1 month ago '16        #8
P Glizzy 
Props total: 11497 11 K  Slaps total: 1380 1 K
Invest in a good gaming / office chair you gon' be sittin' a long a*s time especially if the artist is a*s.

+15   

1 month ago '11        #9
GravityEraser52 
Props total: 9064 9 K  Slaps total: 1210 1 K
Good sh*t! Keep grinding...
+4   

1 month ago '11        #10
bonez79  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 36460 36 K  Slaps total: 8339 8 K
Hope you accomplish your dreams, I remember setting up my home studio in my room back in the day.
+3   

1 month ago '13        #11
PaperBoy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 31799 31 K  Slaps total: 5880 5 K
why tf is that light in ya face. n*gga set the mood. Put the pistol on the table, place a stack of ones and a bag of weed by ya laptop and cop you a blacklight
+8   

1 month ago '21        #12
Dreamcast 
Props total: 3617 3 K  Slaps total: 807 807
 PaperBoy said
why tf is that light in ya face. n*gga set the mood. Put the pistol on the table, place a stack of ones and a bag of weed by ya laptop and cop you a blacklight
once he's done with your suggestions he might as well shoot a video

macaroni time part 2

bro bout to feed the streets
+4   

1 month ago '15        #13
 patt24 said
Would also switch the mic position the other way so the MC voice is as enclosed as possible.
The sounds will just reflect off of the wall right back into the microphone. You aren't supposed to have your speakers or microphone close to the wall, your speakers should be at least three feet from the wall.

1 month ago '16        #14
Freddy Highmore 
Props total: 4107 4 K  Slaps total: 352 352
One thing you have to keep in mind.

YOU ARE THE STUDIO.

I worked out of a big studio with analog equipment and am currently in my home studio.

Guess which I prefer?

+1   

1 month ago '05        #15
Soprano ATL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 24582 24 K  Slaps total: 1998 1 K
 seatownslayer said
Looks to me like ya missing some basics. Not sure how or why you got a mixer before a decent set of monitors and some studio headphones.
I cant make out the mixer on my phone, but I am guessing that it may be acting as his audio interface. Lot of em got usb these days and can be... serviceable.
+2   

1 month ago '13        #16
PaperBoy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 31799 31 K  Slaps total: 5880 5 K
 Dreamcast said
once he's done with your suggestions he might as well shoot a video

macaroni time part 2

bro bout to feed the streets
Egg zach lee🤌🏽🤌🏽🤌🏽🤌🏽

1 month ago '04        #17
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 28673 28 K  Slaps total: 2265 2 K
Lots of good game in here
+1   

1 month ago '14        #18
NineDime 
Props total: 7507 7 K  Slaps total: 286 286
work on your ears.

anything you use—monitor/speaker/interface/mixer is only going to sound as accurate as you are able to interpret it to be. And your adjustments will reflect that.

Familiarize yourself with how your sound ‘sounds’ compared to ‘professional’ recordings, and strive for results

A/D converters is where you start to spend money on higher end audio interfaces. They’re responsible for converting analog to digital (vocals through mic to computer) and digital to analog (computer through monitors to your ears).

TLDR: work on your ears, it’s ultimately the only thing that matters. And put some soft furniture stuff in your room.

Last edited by NineDime; 06-17-2021 at 08:13 PM..
+6   

1 month ago '19        #19
unit321  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 38678 38 K  Slaps total: 8419 8 K
 luck said

Studio for what?
Podcasting.
Music recording.
Music mixing.
Music recording and mixing.
Video content creation/youtuber/instagrammer.
+5   

1 month ago '04        #20
GLADHEATER 
Props total: 830 830  Slaps total: 151 151
Set up looks like you might get a happy ending after spitting some Fiyahh!!! Asian massage Set.up!!
+9   

1 month ago '11        #21
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22880 22 K  Slaps total: 966 966
Nice for the first setup
Id put the foam in the cracks of the walls where the ceiling connects so you dont get that dirty echo.

Eventualy cop some studio monitors and a decent audio interface.

Yeah you can use damn near any speaker but picture using Photoshop on your old pc.

Now picture upgrading your video card to a radon 560 just for an example.
Youre going to see what youre working on 100 times better.

Same applies for good speakers and interfaces, you can hear better so you'll be able to edit better.

Also aim your speakers correctly.
+2   

1 month ago '17        #22
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 77719 77 K  Slaps total: 22417 22 K
It’s going to get hot in there bruh lol
+1   

1 month ago '14        #23
Black Einstein 
Props total: 6150 6 K  Slaps total: 697 697
Some of the most classic songs in history were recorded with next to nothing in terms of equipment. Through experience you will learn how to get the sound you want out of just about anything. Especially with all of the plugins available through protools. Good luck with your progress.
+5   

1 month ago '15        #24
 NineDime said
work on your ears.

anything you use—monitor/speaker/interface/mixer is only going to sound as accurate as you are able to interpret it to be. And your adjustments will reflect that.

A/D converters is where you start to spend money on higher end audio interfaces. They’re responsible converting analog to digital (vocals through mic to computer) and digital to analog (computer through monitors to your ears).

TLDR: work on your ears, it’s ultimately the only thing that matters. Find what works for you software wise and go crazy
Another keyword that I wish I knew in the beginning: Latency.

How fast your interface transfers your input/recording and converts it to digital. Just like lag on your computer. The reason why cheap interfaces suffer is because of the input lag- how quickly your sound is played back to you after you've recorded it, if that makes sense.

USB is cheap, you can work with it, but unless your computer is optimized, you'll experience drop outs/crackling. You'll say a word, but their will be a be a delay between you saying a word and hearing it played back to you.

You aren't supposed to hear yourself when you're recording, not because you aren't supposed to, but there shouldn't be a lag/delay in it. The difference between a good interface and a cheap one is night and day - you'll try to increase the volume on the good interface because you can't hear yourself, and you will hear yourself eith the gain on the mic turned up, but you ain't supposed to hear yourself.

I hope I'm making sense

Those USB interfaces are decent for starters, firewire is decent, Thunderbolt is where it really is at, and then there's HDX, and the best being analog/hardware.

The top of the mountain is being able to record with hardware, but you can do the same with good audio interfaces & plugins with low latency/low RTL. They advise you not to record with plugins, but that's only to save cpu/ram/prevent dropouts - the more expensive interfaces allow you to record with compression, eq, and autotune like professionals do.

They say not to record with autotune, and just use it later, but that's not what Lil Wayne, Young Thug, or Future do: they recording with autotune and playing with it.

Universal Audio is one the best, but you gonna get sucked it to paying $300 for a damn plugin you could use for free if you buy a good audio interface with low RTL.

Last edited by Shifty; 06-17-2021 at 08:25 PM..
+2   

1 month ago '16        #25
 Soprano ATL said
I cant make out the mixer on my phone, but I am guessing that it may be acting as his audio interface. Lot of em got usb these days and can be... serviceable.
He for sure is using it as an interface i was more curious on his choice for first purchases to build a studio. Id let my daw do the mixer and get a interface with a better preamp. It doesn't hurt to have an analog mixer but there is so many ways around it now a days id go for a ssl or any UA interface for their real time plugins. Its a coo set up to start bu no reason for the TV side ways like that either. If he switch his pc to extend the desktop then he could have his mix in his daw on one and the rest in the other. Takes times to dial in your set up and realise what ya really need to get sh*t going and pro sounding

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+199online now  30
This is the Malcolm X they don't want you to see
208 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-120online now  21
Video inside B Pumper launches rockets @ Lisa Ann
68 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+22online now  20
Video inside Corey holcomb and zo on chance the rappers wife
189 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-45online now  9
Jul 24 - This Can't Be Real: NBC Producer Fired After This Hot Mic Incident!
36 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy