ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+122  95
86 replies  @sports

most viewed right now
+68  63
45 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '07        #1
449 page views
8 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 83915 83 K  Slaps total: 9218 9 K
Jun 14 - Worker Shortage Spreads, U.S. Chamber CEO Suzanne Clark calls "tragic"

U.S. Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Suzanne Clark told me for "Axios on HBO" that she finds the Biden administration "easy to talk to. They're easy to reach. They're professional."

"But sometimes they give us bad news very efficiently and quickly," she said with a laugh.

The big picture: The chamber, the world’s largest business lobby, is having success under President Biden on promoting infrastructure spending, but opposes his planned tax increases.

"I think it comes down to having different economic philosophies, right?" she said.

"The American business community believes this is a moment of growth."

Clark, who took over in March as the first woman CEO in the chamber's 109-year history, has made the worker shortage a top issue, and recently launched a program she calls "Operation Warp Speed for jobs."

"Look, this is the biggest economic challenge of our time," she said.

"I went to Rehoboth over the weekend, took my teenager to the beach. And the number of restaurants, the number of small businesses that have restricted their hours, that aren't serving lunch, or aren't open at all because of the workforce shortage is tragic."

I asked Clark: In the past when people thought of the Chamber of Commerce, they thought of a boys' club, and now you're the boss. What's it been like to be in so many rooms full of white middle-aged dudes?

"Well, you know, I'm married to a white middle-aged dude, so they're kind of my people," she joked.

But she said the conversation now is that "as the world gets more diverse, ... what it's like to have all of these rooms open up. And there is strength in diversity."

"I think the Chamber has a long way to go," she added, "particularly in getting more Black and brown people to work here."
+1   

best
worst
8 comments

2 months ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56 OP
business people are funny, they kinda understand the need to provide the illusion of quality and value in order to finesse people into buying their products and services, ie: people have to want what you have if you want to sell it for money

but somehow, there's a disconnect when you transfer that concept up the ladder, owning or managing a business doesn't mean society is now indebted to you and has an obligation to help you rip people off and get rich

if you want people to work for you, you need to create an environment that attracts people, instead of just banking on these stupid people to come to you for rent and food money

you know how i know the narrative of this shortage is bullsh*t and a direct result of horrible workplaces? i have a friend who owns a restaurant in NY, he has no shortage at all of employees

in fact, he has a small waiting list of people trying to get back in once business gets back to pre-COVID levels, on top of that, he gets regular calls and inquiries from diners about openings

but he's a strange business owner, he wants a great environment first, top quality right next to it and he doesn't need to squeeze every penny and employee like a juicer
+13   

2 months ago '07        #3

+7   

2 months ago '07        #4

+7   

2 months ago '19        #5
aaf192020 
Props total: 32459 32 K  Slaps total: 2376 2 K
Too many people figured out there are other opportunities to get paid without working a slave wage.

I was lucky enough to get a good amount of raises during the pandemic because my employer couldn't find people willing to work and we already made good salarys.
+6   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '16        #6
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 78325 78 K  Slaps total: 10612 10 K
There is no worker shortage. There are plenty of available workers. There's a shortage of economically attractive employment opportunities
+19   

2 months ago '04        #7
ScaledAt10 
Props total: 3203 3 K  Slaps total: 488 488
 Boogersugar said
There is no worker shortage. There are plenty of available workers. There's a shortage of economically attractive employment opportunities
This!

2 months ago '15        #8
Spawn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 71302 71 K  Slaps total: 6285 6 K
 Boogersugar said
Props.

They really trying to finesse the wording, doubt they'd ever come out and say it like this.
+3   

2 months ago '17        #9
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 173106 173 K  Slaps total: 12179 12 K
Pay people a living wage and they'll gladly go back.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-35online now  23
Real or fake : PJ Washington signs babymama Brittany Renner to 18 year dea..
51 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  20
Pro Skater: TERRY KENNEDY arrested for attempted murder; threatened cops ... ..
174 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  17
Video inside Jeff Bezos on how important sleep is
109 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+33online now  7
Jul 30 - CDC study shows 74% of people infected in outbreak were fully vaccina..
196 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy