Jun 13 - Persistent Stereotypes Falsely Link Women’s Self-Esteem to Their Sex Lives

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
86 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '07        #1
1408 page views
57 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 83890 83 K  Slaps total: 9211 9 K
Jun 13 - Persistent Stereotypes Falsely Link Women’s Self-Esteem to Their s*x Lives

Summary: Despite increases in gender equality and the normalization of casual s*x in many cultures, the belief that women who engage in casual s*x have low self-esteem remains widespread.

New research examines this entrenched stereotype and finds no significant correlation between a woman’s s*xual behavior and her self-esteem.

New research published in the journal Psychological Science reveals a pervasive but unfounded stereotype: that women (but not men) who engage in casual s*x have low self-esteem.

This finding was consistent across six separate experiments with nearly 1,500 total participants.

“We were surprised that this stereotype was so widely held,” said Jaimie Arona Krems, an a*sistant professor of psychology at Oklahoma State University and first author on the paper.

“This stereotype was held by both women and men, liberals and conservatives, and across the spectrum in terms of people’s levels of religiosity and s*xism.”

But across the studies, Krems also observed that the stereotype was unfounded: There was virtually no relationship between participants’ own self-esteem and s*xual behavior.

In one study, Krems and her colleagues had participants read about a hypothetical man, woman, or unspecified person in their mid-20s who had casual s*x (e.g., one-night stands), monogamous s*x, or no reported s*xual behavior.

Participants were then asked to make some snap judgments about this individual’s personality based on this information.

Women who had casual s*x were judged as having lower self-esteem.

Participants did not connect men’s self-esteem to their s*xual behavior, however.

In another experiment, the researchers used a method called the conjunction fallacy, which was made famous by Nobel Prize-winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman in now classic research from the 1980s.

In this experiment, participants were asked if a man or a woman who had casual s*x was more likely to have been (a) an English major or (b) an English major with low self-esteem.

Most participants responded that the second of these two possibilities was more likely even though it was statistically less likely to be true.

The team also discovered that this stereotype persisted even when participants were confronted with contrary information.

“When we explicitly told participants that the women who had casual s*x were enjoying it and were satisfied with their s*xual behavior, participants still stereotyped them as having lower self-esteem than women in monogamous relationships who were unsatisfied with their s*xual behavior,” said Krems.

Previous research has suggested that people perceived to have low self-esteem are less likely to be hired for jobs, voted into political office, or sought as friends or romantic partners.

“Although not grounded in reality, the stereotype documented in this work may have harmful effects. Stereotypes like this can have serious consequences in the real world,” said Krems.

Reference: Krems, J. A., Ko, A., Moon, J. W., & Varnum, M. (2021). Lay beliefs about gender and s*xual behavior: First evidence for a pervasive, robust (but seemingly unfounded) stereotype. Psychological Science. Advance online publication.

visit this link https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797620983829
+1   

best
worst
57 comments

2 months ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56 OP
how many lies have christians made up to hate women?

2 months ago '16        #3
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x43
Props total: 105094 105 K  Slaps total: 20127 20 K
mens too
+6   

2 months ago '18        #4
Kodack sixnine  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x52
Props total: 60312 60 K  Slaps total: 13408 13 K
You can have a man with pretty much all his needs met, if he isn’t getting s*x or female attention he will be depressed

2 months ago '21        #5
Dreamcast 
Props total: 3770 3 K  Slaps total: 865 865
my ex just emailed me recently, she has been with a guy for the past 8 years

no kids, no marriage, she bought her own engagement ring, but now she is giving up on the relationship because she is realizing ALL wedding expenses will be on her because he just doesn't care.. he is already smashing so why should he care about marriage

if you think she has high self esteem then you need a reality check

she is now 37

she didn't get herself in this predicament through high self esteem

Last edited by Dreamcast; 06-13-2021 at 04:32 PM..
+16   

2 months ago '17        #6
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 70898 70 K  Slaps total: 4798 4 K
Here comes a deep, thoughtful, understanding conversation....

+11   

2 months ago '13        #7
jrc00 
Props total: 365 365  Slaps total: 28 28
Reserved

2 months ago '19        #8
NoFuxGvn 
Props total: 2545 2 K  Slaps total: 125 125
 Dreamcast said

no kids, no marriage, she bought her own engagement ring, but now she is giving up on the relationship because she is realizing ALL wedding expenses will be on her because he just doesn't care.. he is already smashing so why should he care about marriage

she is now 37

That’s messed up.
Was she trying to use you as an emotional tampon to get some sympathy?

2 months ago '15        #9
PolygonMafia 
Props total: 14360 14 K  Slaps total: 1178 1 K
This study is dumb as hell.
+9   

2 months ago '21        #10
Dreamcast 
 NoFuxGvn said
That’s messed up.
Was she trying to use you as an emotional tampon to get some sympathy?
nah she just hit me up because she was back in town.. she wasnt telling me all that stuff, she just told me after i asked

she usually hits me up when shes back in town
+4   

2 months ago '18        #11
MrPersonality  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5635 5 K  Slaps total: 1470 1 K

2 months ago '17        #12
Fortune 
Props total: 45483 45 K  Slaps total: 3627 3 K
where did this "study" disprove that thought process. all I see here is that they asked 1500 ppl about a hypothetical person and recorded their responses.

I thought they were going to say they did something to actually disprove the self esteem connection.

if you've really been around an actual pass around, they usually do have low self esteem and daddy and/or mother issues.
+10   

2 months ago '17        #13
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63474 63 K  Slaps total: 6135 6 K
Hoez are not happy people

They're always in some unessasary drama
+11   

2 months ago '16        #14
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 40953 40 K  Slaps total: 4383 4 K
Iunno, if they do but it's kinda gross how unselective a lot of people are.

2 months ago '10        #15
Trilluminati GA 
Props total: 32112 32 K  Slaps total: 1325 1 K
Oh really????

2 months ago '07        #16
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56 OP
 Fortune said
where did this "study" disprove that thought process. all I see here is that they asked 1500 ppl about a hypothetical person and recorded their responses.
where did you provide a better method?

how else do you gauge the toxic stereotypes you guys perpetuate?

it showed that people like you make determinations about others with virtually no evidence or data and an erroneous tradition of using a preprogrammed set of values to judge others based on rumor and hearsay

Fortune said
if you've really been around an actual pass around, they usually do have low self esteem and daddy and/or mother issues.
when you think your little world represents the whole world and your little experience is a reason to paint an entire gender as a monolith that needs to be controlled and leashed

your 1950s viewpoint took you straight from reading casual s*x to calling any woman who has unapproved s*x a pass around, casual s*x doesn't mean you fu*k every single person you can as fast as you can, it means you have s*x when you want to, with who you want to

casual s*x means i'm attracted to someone who's attracted to me and we decide to have some free fun without checking in with the local slaveowner courtship customs and requirements

there's plenty of smart, healthy, talented, grounded females who like s*x and aren't bound by racist baby boomer traditions and bigoted slaveowner spirituality that seeks to treat women like dogs who must obey and submit to clergy approved, nonconsensual s*x

you just don't have access to them

because they're hiding from people like you and your pious corrupt judgement

2 months ago '16        #17
Fastrap87  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 8071 8 K  Slaps total: 3377 3 K
Look at the happiness

+1   

2 months ago '10        #18
Jeezy187 
Props total: 1453 1 K  Slaps total: 73 73
 Fastrap87 said
Look at the happiness

The fu*k is up with these names?

2 months ago '14        #19
TooFatToFish 
Props total: 20654 20 K  Slaps total: 4411 4 K
 yola said
how many lies have christians made up to hate women?
How many lies and payouts have Christians said and paid to fu*k little boys for decades?
+1   

2 months ago '16        #20
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x43
Props total: 105094 105 K  Slaps total: 20127 20 K
 Kodack sixnine said
You can have a man with pretty much all his needs met, if he isn’t getting s*x or female attention he will be depressed
until he figures out bi*ches ain't sh*t

+6   

2 months ago '17        #21
Fortune 
Props total: 45483 45 K  Slaps total: 3627 3 K
 yola said
where did you provide a better method?

how else do you gauge the toxic stereotypes you guys perpetuate?

it showed that people like you make determinations about others with virtually no evidence or data and an erroneous tradition of using a preprogrammed set of values to judge others based on rumor and hearsay

when you think your little world represents the whole world and your little experience is a reason to paint an entire gender as a monolith that needs to be controlled and leashed

your 1950s viewpoint took you straight from reading casual s*x to calling any woman who has unapproved s*x a pass around, casual s*x doesn't mean you fu*k every single person you can as fast as you can, it means you have s*x when you want to, with who you want to

casual s*x means i'm attracted to someone who's attracted to me and we decide to have some free fun without checking in with the local slaveowner courtship customs and requirements

there's plenty of smart, healthy, talented, grounded females who like s*x and aren't bound by racist baby boomer traditions and bigoted slaveowner spirituality that seeks to treat women like dogs who must obey and submit to clergy approved, nonconsensual s*x

you just don't have access to them

because they're hiding from people like you and your pious corrupt judgement
this is entirely too many words to say you have no legitimate counterpoint to anything I said.

Just your feelings.

Ive been gone from bx for while, but we don't care about your feelings on this end fam. Take off the cape.
+1   

2 months ago '10        #22
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 74490 74 K  Slaps total: 16436 16 K
 Dreamcast said

she is now 37

Sounds like your ex is stuck on marriage and not on having a loving relationship.

The dude has been with her for 8 years and she’s throwing it all away because of a legal procedure

And then emailed you about it

attention wh*res
+7   

2 months ago '07        #23
Cambury  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33037 33 K  Slaps total: 15376 15 K
 Nautilus O said
Sounds like your ex is stuck on marriage and not on having a loving relationship.

The dude has been with her for 8 years and she’s throwing it all away because of a legal procedure

attention wh*res
bi*ch is retarded. Social media era tho.

This is what happens when men are raised by their moms so they let women lead. I came up hard as fu*k but im thankful I had OGs because alot of n*ggas is grown women.

What yall dont realize these same women that made yall believe they were so confident and had so much self esteem are scared to death to be alone, low self esteem and won't ever take accountability because they will be forced to see their ugly ways in the mirror.

Most women are to be fu*ked and given instruction. Nowadays you can't even trust them to raise your kids properly so now men gotta be Mr. Mom
+5   

1 month ago '21        #24
Dreamcast 
 Nautilus O said

attention wh*res
u could say that, but i agree with her

the guy isn't leading her anywhere.. definitely not leading her to God, not leading her to children, not leading her to marriage, not even leading her to a career because she works at the same place she worked when we were together back in the 00's (victoria's secret)

she is just his wh*re

to me she is like a female simp.. she has given everything and gotten nothing

a good man will lead.. this is not leadership this is: "just do what i want u to do and that's it"

but i feel like women don't really know the difference until its too late

1 month ago '10        #25
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 74490 74 K  Slaps total: 16436 16 K
 Dreamcast said
u could say that, but i agree with her

the guy isn't leading her anywhere.. definitely not leading her to God, not leading her to children, not leading her to marriage, not even leading her to a career because she works at the same place she worked when we were together back in the 00's (victoria's secret)

she is just his wh*re

to me she is like a female simp.. she has given everything and gotten nothing

a good man will lead.. this is not leadership this is: "just do what i want u to do and that's it"

but i feel like women don't really know the difference until its too late
If she’s worth “all of this” why didn’t you do this?

You putting your own idea of “leadership” on to this man and his relationship. Maybe he don’t want kids or marriage, maybe he wants a companion that is in the same mindset.

She’s been there for 8 years. She’s running to you to complain.

Sounds like she sees you as a simp too
+6   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-24online now  20
Whatever happen to that kristine leahy chick
50 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+54online now  17
Video inside Beanie Sigel and Nore on Drink Champs dropping Tomorrow "Dame or Jay-z ..
84 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+179online now  17
Video inside Da baby kicks questlove out of hiphop
329 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+47online now  4
Just to be clear …