Jun 12 - LiveLeak, the internetís font of gore and violence, has shut down

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
38 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '04        #1
4527 page views
103 comments

Tastemaker331  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 49036 49 K  Slaps total: 6558 6 K
Jun 12 - LiveLeak, the internetís font of gore and violence, has shut down

Link: visit this link https://www.theverge.com/ .. s-down-itemfix

After fifteen years in operation, LiveLeak is no more

Video site LiveLeak, best known for hosting gruesome footage that mainstream rivals wouldn’t touch, has shut down after fifteen years in operation. In its place is “ItemFix,” a site that bans users from uploading media containing “excessive violence or gory content.”

In a blog post, LiveLeak founder Hayden Hewitt did not give an explicit reason for the site’s closure, saying only that: “The world has changed a lot over these last few years, the Internet alongside it, and we as people.” In a video posted on his YouTube channel Trigger Warning, Hewitt offered no further details, but said that maintaining LiveLeak had become a struggle, and that he and his team “just didn’t have it in us to carry on f*ghting.”

“Everything’s different now, everything moves on,” says Hewitt, before adding in an aside to the camera: “I don’t fu*king like it. I liked it much better when it was the Wild West.”

LiveLeak has been a mainstay of internet culture for many years, its name synonymous with footage of murder, terrorism, and everyday incidents of crime and violence. A sinister doppelgšnger to sites like YouTube, LiveLeak was founded in 2006 and grew out of a culture of early internet “shock sites” like Ogrish, Rotten.com, and BestGore: websites that hosted violent and pr0nographic content with the express aim of disgusting visitors.

LiveLeak, with its tagline of “Redefining the Media,” ostensibly added some nuance to this brutish appeal. Official statements from those involved sometimes defended its content in terms of newsworthiness or truth-telling. When the site attracted controversy in the UK for hosting footage of children f*ghting, for example, Hewitt defended sharing the videos as a form of bearing witness. “We have to take a stance of saying ‘look all this is happening, this is real life, this is going on, we’re going to show it,’” he told BBC News.

Despite this, the site often changed its policies concerning controversial footage. In 2014 it attracted significant attention (and traffic) for hosting a video of the behe*ding of US journalist James Foley by terror group ISIS. But soon after the site’s owners announced it would host no future behe*ding videos created by ISIS.

“We’ve shown the world the true horror of this form of execution more than once in the past and we cannot find any compelling reason to even be thought of as promoting the actions of this group,” said a blog post. “We know they [ISIS] do not find support here on LL and that condemnation is virtually universal but there is no reason at all to show more.”

Similarly, the site chose not to host videos of the 2019 Christchurch shootings, stating in another blog post that LiveLeak never had a “show everything” policy, and that hosting the video would only give the shooter what he wanted: more attention.

Although the site’s content likely stopped it from reaching the prominence of other video hosts, it still attracted sizable numbers of viewers. A 2019 report from The New York Times noted that web tracking firm Alexa ranked it as the 695th most popular website in the world, putting it roughly on a par with mainstream sites like The Onion and Jezebel.

The same report cites an academic study by Sue Tait that attempts to explain the enduring popularity of such violent and gory content. Based on her observations of the Ogrish forums, Tait categorized four different “spectatorial positions.” There is the “amoral gaze,” where the content is stimulating and pleasurable; the “vulnerable gaze” where the imagery is experienced as harmful; the “entitled gaze,” where viewers justify their actions as seeing past the “censorship” of mainstream outlets; and the “responsive gaze,” where looking is framed as a way for the viewer to prepare for coming hardships, like a career in the military.

The range of justifications identified by Tait and other academics suggest that demand for such extreme content will always exist, even if individual sites like LiveLeak come and go.

In his farewell blog post, the site’s founder Hayden Hewitt emphasized the importance of the site’s community. “To the members, the uploaders, the casual visitors, the trolls and the occasionally demented people who have been with us. You have been our constant companions and although we probably didn’t get to communicate too often you’re appreciated more than you realize,” he writes. “On a personal level you have fascinated and amused me with your content. Lastly, to those no longer with us. I still remember you.”
+17   

best
worst
103 comments

2 months ago '08        #2
J_Clarity13 
Props total: 12152 12 K  Slaps total: 1653 1 K
Trash

2 months ago '16        #3
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 40898 40 K  Slaps total: 4359 4 K
End of an era.
+59   

2 months ago '17        #4
Coffee 
Props total: 37682 37 K  Slaps total: 7773 7 K
LiveLeak was crucial for media and internet culture. It was an important site that gave us footage, raw and uncensored.

Sorry to see it go.
+69   

2 months ago '15        #5
Black Larry 
Props total: 14369 14 K  Slaps total: 1256 1 K
There's other sites that will take its place. I haven't touch that site in years. But I remember it in the early internet days.
[spoiler - click to view]

More and more whales and corporations are born and a*similated all the time
+18   

2 months ago '20        #6
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 66973 66 K  Slaps total: 3563 3 K
Honestly good. I can’t think of one clip from there I felt improved my life from livelink. In fact it did the opposite. It also erked me that children & teens would flock to it. There is some damaging sh*t even as a grown a*s man to watch on them sites. I’m all for free speech but need to be age verification measures for extreme material. Definitely think the Internet is responsible for the state of things.
+56   

2 months ago '20        #7
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 66973 66 K  Slaps total: 3563 3 K
 Coffee said
LiveLeak was crucial for media and internet culture. It was an important site that gave us footage, raw and uncensored.

Sorry to see it go.
I agree but age restrictions should have been enforced more sternly.
+11   

2 months ago '17        #8
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63409 63 K  Slaps total: 6134 6 K
I use to love visiting sites like that but I realize I got to protect my mental health
+68   

2 months ago '19        #9
Free my soul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 15909 15 K  Slaps total: 5609 5 K
Bestgore still up I think

2 months ago '04        #10
1000bluntz 
Props total: 33992 33 K  Slaps total: 7991 7 K
Had to stop visiting that site after a Brazilian prison riot video with dudes getting stabbed in the ribs with long metal rods and hacking heads off and sh*t... no lie, I went back there a month or so ago for the first time in a couple years to look for footage of this this favela police raid I heard about where they k*lled 25 people and the site was gone then. Took that as a sign that I never need to look for that kind of sh*t again lol.
+45   

2 months ago '14        #11
breezeus313 
Props total: 8416 8 K  Slaps total: 482 482
I stopped watching those type of videos a while ago
Those Videos mentally mess with your mind
+42   

2 months ago '17        #12
International1 
Props total: 16051 16 K  Slaps total: 940 940
 1000bluntz said
Had to stop visiting that site after a Brazilian prison riot video with dudes getting stabbed in the ribs with long metal rods and hacking heads off and sh*t... no lie, I went back there a month or so ago for the first time in a couple years to look for footage of this this favela police raid I heard about where they k*lled 25 people and the site was gone then. Took that as a sign that I never need to look for that kind of sh*t again lol.
You got more heart than me. Iím from the old school where we head the Faces of death VHS. A n*gga was telling me in school how they had a monkey head trapped on the table and everyone took turns hitting it with it hammer. At that point I knew I wouldnít be cut out for sh*t like this. Shout out to all the coronerís lol
+25   

2 months ago '05        #13
JimDinO77  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 28971 28 K  Slaps total: 3742 3 K
 1000bluntz said
I try to stay away from this sh*t, but when some n*gga posted that Apache helicopter shooting at the cartel last week, I had to see if it was on there..... lo and behold, I see the shut down.... not mad at it, that type of sh*t belongs in the dark web anyways
+6   

2 months ago '16        #14
alejandrugas 
Props total: 4536 4 K  Slaps total: 228 228
I’ve checked it out here and there but had stopped completely after seeing a video that I couldn’t get out of my head for days. I just don’t pursue that gory stuff. To each his own
+3   

2 months ago '16        #15
NoLvstName  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x25
Props total: 77969 77 K  Slaps total: 7628 7 K
Crazysh*t.com got some wild sh*t

Straight demonic debauchery
+14   

2 months ago '05        #16
Stupendamatic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 18480 18 K  Slaps total: 1611 1 K
I periodically visit gore sites and others like that because it helps me appreciate the life I do have and not take for granted the simple things in life. It helps elevate my awareness of some of the dangers in this world and how quickly it can all be taken away in a split second.
+28   

2 months ago '18        #17
WeedCanuckman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 54534 54 K  Slaps total: 12167 12 K
Yeah I ain’t never really bothered with that sh*t
I aint tryna lose my mind
+9   

2 months ago '07        #18
Cambury  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32874 32 K  Slaps total: 15306 15 K
I never been into sh*t like that. I grew up seeing alot and wouldn't choose to see any of it.

Is ebaumsworld still around?
+15   

2 months ago '05        #19
Flatbush85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14962 14 K  Slaps total: 1443 1 K
I have never been into that type of content. Good riddance in my opinion. I want to forget the days of ogreish.com and 9/11 behe*dings.
+11   

2 months ago '14        #20
Aries  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 53447 53 K  Slaps total: 6695 6 K
The owners of liveleak just switched up the name and changed the layout to make the site more profitable... they stopped posting very gory stuff a while back before the name change.
I shared a video from there and posted it on bx last week of cartel guys getting lit up by apaches (video wasn't graphic).

Last edited by Aries; 06-12-2021 at 07:06 PM..
+3   

2 months ago '16        #21
Teknicks 
Props total: 33214 33 K  Slaps total: 5808 5 K
The real ones remember Faces of death
+19   

2 months ago '16        #22
HugheStone 
Props total: 12781 12 K  Slaps total: 2986 2 K
 International1 said
You got more heart than me. Iím from the old school where we head the Faces of death VHS. A n*gga was telling me in school how they had a monkey head trapped on the table and everyone took turns hitting it with it hammer. At that point I knew I wouldnít be cut out for sh*t like this. Shout out to all the coronerís lol
They cut open the skull and ate the brain. some asian cuisine sh*t
+4   

2 months ago '20        #23
nyctoneworleans  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 10483 10 K  Slaps total: 924 924
 Stupendamatic said
I periodically visit gore sites and others like that because it helps me appreciate the life I do have and not take for granted the simple things in life. It helps elevate my awareness of some of the dangers in this world and how quickly it can all be taken away in a split second.
Facts me too!! I used it help me desensitize myself and raise my awareness as well

2 months ago '14        #24
El Caballero 
Props total: 51941 51 K  Slaps total: 3983 3 K
Even though I didn't go on the site really there's nothing good about the fact that youtube has such a hold on video hosting online

There should be more sites it feels like a monopoly
Daily motion still out there but seems insignificant
+5   

2 months ago '20        #25
blackpillblack 
Props total: 10028 10 K  Slaps total: 4066 4 K
Watched some gruesome sh*t.. can barely remember it…

I’m very desensitized to gore..
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+86online now  45
PJ Washington really told Brittany Renner this?? 😆
200 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+86online now  22
Video inside Jul 26 - Full Video Released of Hunter Biden Smoking Crack 100% real
331 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+71online now  14
[Fat Loss] Lost more weight on keto than on my water fast
104 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+47online now  12
Video inside Tory Lanez at it again smfh steals Est Gee flow