What is a "Soul's" game?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 weeks ago '18        #1
854 page views
49 comments

MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 14332 14 K  Slaps total: 11512 11 K
What is a "Soul's" game?

I been gaming for about 3yrs now. What exactly is a "souls" game, in specific detail please..?
+3   

best
worst
49 comments

2 weeks ago '18        #2
MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11 OP
bump

2 weeks ago '15        #3
lil thou wow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 23064 23 K  Slaps total: 3384 3 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
I been gaming for about 3yrs now. What exactly is a "souls" game, in specific detail please..?
I a*sociate low a*s health and mini boss battles and boss battles all game with crazy damage against you

A lot of evading and rapid use of items
+7   

2 weeks ago '18        #4
liloutsider  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2485 2 K  Slaps total: 340 340
Theres a game franchise called Demons Souls (Dark Souls, etc) and theyre games where if you die you have to start over and its hard as fu*k

And now theres a genre of "Souls-like" games where if you die you have to start over

(If I understand correctly)
+5   

2 weeks ago '18        #5
 liloutsider said
Theres a game franchise called Demons Souls (Dark Souls, etc) and theyre games where if you die you have to start over and its hard as fu*k

And now theres a genre of "Souls-like" games where if you die you have to start over

WOW. So if you put in 4 hrs worth of gaming, and you die, you start all over??

2 weeks ago '18        #6
 lil thou wow said
I a*sociate low a*s health and mini boss battles and boss battles all game with crazy damage against you

A lot of evading and rapid use of items
Like The Witcher?

You kind of described Anthem a bit too Lol. I thought souls was like dark, gloomy, having sword battles with dragons, and medieval type sh*t...

2 weeks ago '08        #7
Kewop Decam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33771 33 K  Slaps total: 2707 2 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
No

liloutsider said

“Rouge-like” games are the ones where if you die, you start over. So games like Hades.

In a Souls/Bourne game if you die you lose all of your currency, but you don’t start over persay.

A souls game has these basic things...

Slower paced melee combat action

Stamina meters

Lots of RPG like elements

No difficulty settings

Mostly very difficult games with many unforgiving areas and enemies

But when people says Souls like they basically mean a game that’s hard, takes patience, with stamina based melee combat. There are plenty of 2D ones also so being 3rd person is no longer a requirement.
+10   

2 weeks ago '18        #8
 Kewop Decam said
No

“Rouge-like” games are the ones where if you die, you start over. So games like Hades.

In a Souls/Bourne game if you die you lose all of your currency, but you don’t start over persay.

A souls game has these basic things...

Slower paced melee combat action

Stamina meters

Lots of RPG like elements

No difficulty settings

Mostly very difficult games with many unforgiving areas and enemies

But when people says Souls like they basically mean a game that’s hard, takes patience, with stamina based melee combat. There are plenty of 2D ones also so being 3rd person is no longer a requirement.
This explained everything well.
+1   

2 weeks ago '21        #9
Jonny2soxs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 7338 7 K  Slaps total: 1719 1 K
Exactly why I didn’t buy Souls for PS5
This games are hard as fu*k
+1   

2 weeks ago '14        #10
Cuttysark 
Props total: 34214 34 K  Slaps total: 2222 2 K
sh*ts are hard because the mechanics suck

When I'm playing Ninja Gaiden Black or 2 the enemies are difficult but the game allows you freedom of movement to combat that

Now imagine the same hard enemies only now your character is slow as sh*t with a stamina bar

Nioh>>>>>>>>>>
+3   

2 weeks ago '11        #11
Blokka Blokka  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 19964 19 K  Slaps total: 4282 4 K
A souls like game is similar to how Ninja Gaiden was.

Hard and you'll die alot

2 weeks ago '21        #12
JayMurdoch 
Props total: 5468 5 K  Slaps total: 583 583
 Cuttysark said

When I'm playing Ninja Gaiden Black or 2 the enemies are difficult but the game allows you freedom of movement to combat that

Now imagine the same hard enemies only now your character is slow as sh*t with a stamina bar

Nioh>>>>>>>>>>
Not even. I grew up playing Ninja Gaiden since nes, it was my favorite series before Devil May Cry, then Dark Souls so i'm not just talking sh*t here. I've played almost every ninja gaiden game.

The thing about NG Vs DS, is you can get away playing NG mashing buttons and not having a real strategy. With DS, you have to be more strategic when you play, timing your hits and managing your stamina. The reason why movement is stifled in souls games is because it's supposed to reflect the weight of the 100lbs of armor and weapons you're carrying. The dark souls games add a lot of strategic elements to video games and gives you a lot more variety in terms of mechanics/play styles than Ninja Gaiden.

The souls game are on another level than Ninja Gaiden in terms of mechanics. It sounds like you just prefer a simpler game. And like I said, I love Ninja Gaiden but the statement you made is just simply incorrect.
+4   

2 weeks ago '06        #13
ohdosraders1 
Props total: 788 788  Slaps total: 36 36
 MayneThaTruth2 said
Not necessarily there is bonfires along the way that let you save your progress. When you k*ll an enemy you gain its souls which you use to level up. If you die however the souls are stuck where you died and its on you to make it back to that point alive to reclaim them but if you die along the way while retrieving said souls they are lost forever
+3   

2 weeks ago '12        #14
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 171164 171 K  Slaps total: 10026 10 K
 JayMurdoch said
Not even. I grew up playing Ninja Gaiden since nes, it was my favorite series before Devil May Cry, then Dark Souls so i'm not just talking sh*t here. I've played almost every ninja gaiden game.

The thing about NG Vs DS, is you can get away playing NG mashing buttons and not having a real strategy. With DS, you have to be more strategic when you play, timing your hits and managing your stamina. The reason why movement is stifled in souls games is because it's supposed to reflect the weight of the 100lbs of armor and weapons you're carrying. The dark souls games add a lot of strategic elements to video games and gives you a lot more variety in terms of mechanics/play styles than Ninja Gaiden.

The souls game are on another level than Ninja Gaiden in terms of mechanics. It sounds like you just prefer a simpler game. And like I said, I love Ninja Gaiden but the statement you made is just simply incorrect.
Thats the main reason I fell in love with the Soulslike genre that's emerged...The games actually have a little bit of difficulty to them when the overwhelming majority of single player games are just too easy and you can breeze through them. One of the first games my mom bought me as a kid was Super Ghosts & Goblins and Breath of Fire 2 as a kid, and they were known to be hard as sh*t with respect to the genres they both represent..Hell I remember my big brother playing the OG NES Ninja Turtles Game...First time I ever saw someone throw a controller

Souls games bring back the old feeling of having to plot and plan before you even pick up the controller.

op check out: Bloodborne, Demon Souls, the Dark Souls Series, Salt & Sanctuary for a 2D example, Lords of the Fallen, Mortal Shell, ashen, and the Nioh Series...That Jedi Fallen Order game was dope and it pretty much incorporated the Souls Like playstyle and mixed it with Star Wars.

This list on IGN breaks it down pretty good:

@
+2   

2 weeks ago '14        #15
Cuttysark 
 JayMurdoch said

No way you can get away with mashing in Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja

And I'm sure I'm older than you so I grew up on them sh*ts as well

Those Souls games are not organically hard games and they're not complicated

The mechanics is what make them difficult

Even with medium or light armor your character is still slow as sh*t

2 weeks ago '18        #16
 ohdosraders1 said
Not necessarily there is bonfires along the way that let you save your progress. When you k*ll an enemy you gain its souls which you use to level up. If you die however the souls are stuck where you died and its on you to make it back to that point alive to reclaim them but if you die along the way while retrieving said souls they are lost forever
What df??? Post some newer games with these mechanics.

My preference is third person, graphic quality, immersion, I like triple A titles, over indies.

Any suggestions for me to check out?

2 weeks ago '14        #17
Cuttysark 
 MayneThaTruth2 said
What df??? Post some newer games with these mechanics.

My preference is third person, graphic quality, immersion, I like triple A titles, over indies.

Any suggestions for me to check out?
Best Souls game is Bloodborne
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #18
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 67817 67 K  Slaps total: 20393 20 K
n*ggas in here speaking nonsense.

Honestly OP you should just play one of the Soulsborne games yourself. There's a lot that go into them.

They're not that difficult either, they just require some critical thinking that most games dont. But once you understand how the game works, its just a matter of staying disciplined
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #19
VictoryThagr8 
Props total: 8282 8 K  Slaps total: 1586 1 K
 Cuttysark said

Nioh>>>>>>>>>>
As long soul games don't have ninja that spam explosive tag while you are being bombarded by archer ninja with flaming arrows.
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #20
 Cuttysark said
Best Souls game is Bloodborne
Im on PC, I think I heard that came to pc I will see...
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #21
Blokka Blokka  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 19964 19 K  Slaps total: 4282 4 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
Im on PC, I think I heard that came to pc I will see...
No, still only on Playstation iirc

I think it will end up on PC though if they ever remaster it
+3   

2 weeks ago '20        #22
GingerBreadMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 12192 12 K  Slaps total: 7260 7 K
is cuphead a souls game

2 weeks ago '21        #23
Young Defiant  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3239 3 K  Slaps total: 9402 9 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
Don't worry about it...
That's for the REAL gamers....
Assuming through your curiosity of a old franchise you're more than likely a fraud...
Your body ain't built like that...
I think you should be asking us what's "Fortnite" or "NBA 2K", "MADDEN" "Call of Duty'".. You know? ... stuff like that.

2 weeks ago '21        #24
 GingerBreadMan said
is cuphead a souls game
Are you trolling? or are you truly curious?

2 weeks ago '21        #25
 Cuttysark said

Nioh>>>>>>>>>>
IMAGINE thinking NIOH is better

Nioh is just for the people who lack the skill to complete a Souls game, so they go with the off brand Souls game "Nioh"....
Stop it with these causal gamer lies......

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  8
Jun 22 - Wingstop turns to chicken thighs to combat wing shortage, price surge
145 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-65online now  7
Video inside Tasha K EXPOSES Young Buck Is Broke & Living w/ His HIV Positive TR@NSG..
159 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-108online now  4
Signs that you a pretty n*gga
165 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+83online now  3
What do you think is the avg median income of Boxden