Jun 11 - CDC Quits Investigating Mild Infections In Vaccinated As Breakthrough Cases Rise

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+50  115
59 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 days ago '05        #1
1960 page views
80 comments

4REAL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 35158 35 K  Slaps total: 10027 10 K
Jun 11 - CDC Quits Investigating Mild Infections In Vaccinated As Breakthrough Cases Rise

C.D.C. Will Not Investigate Mild Infections in Vaccinated Americans

At least 10,000 vaccinated people were infected with the coronavirus through the end of April. Now the agency has stopped pursuing the mildest cases.

Julie Cohn came down with Covid-19 this year even after being fully vaccinated. “Don’t people want to know about this?” she asked. “Where do people like me go? What happens next?”Credit...Sarah Blesener for The New York Times

By Roni Caryn Rabin

May 25, 2021
Julie Cohn was fully vaccinated when she went to cheer at her 12-year-old son’s basketball game in March. Midway through the match, he asked to remove his mask because he was getting so hot. She thought little of it.

Three days later, he had a sore throat. He tested positive for the coronavirus, as did his younger brother a few days later. Ms. Cohn cared for them, thinking she was protected, but she woke up with what seemed like a head cold on March 28. The next day, she, too, tested positive.

No vaccine provides perfect protection, and so-called breakthrough infections after coronavirus vaccination are rare and unlikely to lead to serious illness. Federal health officials have told fully vaccinated people they no longer need to wear masks or maintain social distance because they are protected, nor do they need to be tested or quarantine after an exposure, unless they develop symptoms.

Now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has stopped investigating breakthrough infections among fully vaccinated people unless they become so sick that they are hospitalized or die.

Earlier this year, the agency was monitoring all cases. Through the end of April, when some 101 million Americans had been vaccinated, the C.D.C. had received 10,262 reports of breakthrough infections from 46 states and territories, a number that was very likely “a substantial undercount,” according to a C.D.C. report issued on Tuesday.

Genomic sequencing could be done on only 555, or about 5 percent, of the reported breakthrough cases. Over half of them involved so-called variants of concern, including the B.1.1.7 and B.1.351 variants.

Some 995 people were known to have been hospitalized, and 160 had died, though not always because of Covid-19, the new study said. The median age of those who died was 82.

The numbers suggest that the vaccines are highly effective and generally working as expected. On May 1, the agency decided to investigate only the most severe breakthrough infection cases, while still collecting voluntary reports on breakthrough cases from state and local health departments.

The agency will carry out vaccine effectiveness studies that include data on breakthrough cases, but only in limited populations, such as health care workers and essential workers, older adults, and residents at long-term care facilities, a spokeswoman said.

Some scientists support the decision to focus on the illnesses that cause deaths, tax hospitals and overwhelm the health care system. Still, the move has been controversial.

Critics say the agency is missing important opportunities to learn about the real-world effectiveness of the different vaccines and to gather information that might help identify trends in the pandemic’s trajectory — for example, how long vaccine protection lasts, or how various vaccines compare in preventing infection with variants, or whether certain patients like older people are more susceptible to breakthrough infections.

“We are driving blind, and we will miss a lot of signals,” said Ali Mokdad, an epidemiologist at the University of Washington who spent many years as a senior scientist at the C.D.C.

“The C.D.C. is a surveillance agency,” Dr. Mokdad said. “How can you do surveillance and pick one number and not look at the whole?”

The change was announced quietly in a statement on the agency’s website this month. It said the switch “will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance.”

Asked to explain the change, a C.D.C. spokeswoman said that no vaccine was 100 percent effective, but that the number of Covid-19 cases in fully vaccinated people was small and that no significant demographic trends had been identified.

Gleyber Torres, right, a second baseman, Phil Nevin, a third-base coach, and seven others with the Yankees baseball team tested positive for the coronavirus this month after vaccinations.Credit...Kathy Willens/Associated Press

The change means the agency will continue to investigate cases like the death of a vaccinated resident of a nursing home in Kentucky but not the infections of more than 20 other vaccinated residents and employees in the same home who did not require hospitalization.

It is not clear whether the agency will investigate the outbreak that infected eight vaccinated members of the Yankees organization, because most of them did not develop Covid-19 symptoms at all. (Gleyber Torres, the Yankees’ two-time All-Star shortstop, tested positive after vaccination, as did three coaches and four staff members.)

“We have to prioritize what we’re doing, and the priority is to understand the cases a*sociated with severe disease,” Dr. Kathryn Edwards, a professor of pediatrics at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine who studies vaccine safety and effectiveness, said of the new C.D.C. policy.

Some private health care systems are also studying vaccination failures among employees that will yield useful data, she said, though such studies are not necessarily reflective of broader trends.

“It’s such a rare phenomenon, and it doesn’t change the trajectory of the pandemic,” said Dr. Amesh A. Adalja, a senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. As long as the disease is not causing people to require hospitalization, “there’s marginal value to tracking it,” he said, adding, “It doesn’t have the ability to crush the hospital system anymore.”

But even relatively mild cases of Covid-19 can lead to persistent long-term health problems, and it will be difficult to know the full scope without tracking mild infections as well.

Ms. Cohn wasn’t hospitalized, but she experienced body aches, chills and digestive problems for about two weeks. She was left with fatigue, headaches, brain fog and vertigo so severe and sudden that she crashed her car into the garage one day.

She is still not back to her daily three-mile runs with her dog because of shortness of breath. “I’m young, 43, healthy, with no pre-existing conditions, but you often find me now on the couch resting,” Ms. Cohn said.

“Don’t people want to know about this?” she asked. “Where do people like me go? What happens next? The practitioners in my life have been shocked and are trying to figure out how to move forward, but there are so many questions. And if no one is studying this, there won’t be answers.”

Another rationale given for not tracking all breakthrough infections is that they are not likely to result in further spread of the virus. But the scientific evidence for this is not conclusive, some experts say.

At Rockefeller University, which routinely tests students and employees for the coronavirus on its campus in New York City, breakthrough infections were identified in two women who had been fully vaccinated and had developed robust immune responses after inoculation, according to a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Both of the vaccinated women, a 51-year-old and a 65-year-old, developed mild symptoms of Covid-19; viral sequencing revealed they had been infected with variants. “One of the individuals had an extraordinarily high viral load,” said Dr. Robert B. Darnell, an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the paper’s senior author.

The patient is not known to have spread the disease to anyone else, he said. Still, he said, “she had twice the transmissible viral load number in a pinhead drop of saliva.”

Diana Berrent, founder of Survivor Corps, a group of people who have had Covid-19, has called for establishing a national registry of all people with Covid-19, including those who had mild and asymptomatic cases, in order to gather as much data as possible for future research.

Many scientists agree: Collecting more data is always preferable to collecting less. “The virus is constantly changing, and we need to stay three steps ahead of it,” said Michael Kinch, an immunologist and a*sociate vice chancellor of the Centers for Research Innovation in Biotechnology at Washington University in St. Louis.

“What if a variant arises that is less responsive or, Lord forbid, unresponsive to the vaccines?” he said. “The way you stop it is good old-fashioned epidemiology, which the C.D.C. has historically done very well. But if you don’t see it coming, you can’t stop it.”

visit this link https://www.nytimes.com/2 .. html#after-top
+1   

best
worst
80 comments

3 days ago '17        #2
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 14998 14 K  Slaps total: 1513 1 K
So, 10,000 breakthrough infections...out of 140,000,000 fully vaccinated Americans...that's what... .000714% infection rate? Excuse me while I go hide in my makeshift nuclear shelter.

EDIT: Excuse me, that's .0714%, but my point remains. BTW, even if they undercounted by a factor of 50 (which would be 500,000), that'd still be just .357% infection rate. Just saying...

Last edited by WHATEVERMAN; 06-11-2021 at 10:33 AM..
+20   

3 days ago '20        #3
SweezyDeuce 
Props total: 10956 10 K  Slaps total: 2964 2 K
 WHATEVERMAN said
So, 10,000 breakthrough infections...out of 140,000,000 fully vaccinated Americans...that's what... .000714% infection rate? Excuse me while I go hide in my makeshift nuclear shelter.
these numbers are actually showing the vaccines to be more like 99/100% effective instead of 90ish% but somehow the right wing retards are turning this into a negative thing lol.

please educate your kids properly. no alcohol, no drugs and most importantly no social media. teach them how to read and find actual data/resources...you know that class we all had in second grade where they taught us how to use the library properly and read encyclopedias and sh*t. you dont use the national enquirer you use national geographic.
+17   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #4
I Know  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 821 821  Slaps total: 448 448
^^^

Do y’all have children?

3 days ago '18        #5
ChrisPartlowFro 
Props total: 26788 26 K  Slaps total: 2899 2 K
 SweezyDeuce said
these numbers are actually showing the vaccines to be more like 99/100% effective instead of 90ish% but somehow the right wing retards are turning this into a negative thing lol.

please educate your kids properly. no alcohol, no drugs and most importantly no social media. teach them how to read and find actual data/resources...you know that class we all had in second grade where they taught us how to use the library properly and read encyclopedias and sh*t. you dont use the national enquirer you use national geographic.

So it wasnít just me! They taught you secondary and primary sources right?
+14   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #6
 ChrisPartlowFro said

This virus isnít going to be eradicated.

But if it were to be is it better to inoculate individuals early in life or later in life?

3 days ago '20        #7
SweezyDeuce 
 ChrisPartlowFro said

yes. had us pulling out all them old a*s hard to read typed with a type writer index cards and showing us primary, secondary and useless, etc... fiction vs non fiction. what can be used for research purposes and how to verify it. it was a whole day field trip in the library about this sh*t lol

maybe they dont do it no more or we went to better public schools but yes it was 10000% a class that shaped a lot of my future.
+4   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #8
 SweezyDeuce said
yes. had us pulling out all them old a*s hard to read typed with a type writer index cards and showing us primary, secondary and useless, etc... fiction vs non fiction. what can be used for research purposes and how to verify it. it was a whole day field trip in the library about this sh*t lol

maybe they dont do it no more or we went to better public schools but yes it was 10000% a class that shaped a lot of my future.
What charter/public schools in which states require flu shots for children to attend?

This article states 2 mask wearing children were infected and running around at basketball games....

Last edited by I Know; 06-11-2021 at 07:57 AM..

3 days ago '05        #9
4REAL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 WHATEVERMAN said
C.D.C. had received 10,262 reports of breakthrough infections from 46 states and territories, a number that was ďvery likely a substantial undercount,Ē
I guess you missed the part where it says "very likely a substantial undercount." And that was only what was found and counted until the end of April. They stopped counting After April, and it's now June. It's no telling what the official numbers of people are that are running around experimentally "vaccinated" and passing around the virus, as restrictions begin to lift and as people begin to lose their mask. It could very well be in the hundreds of thousands.

3 days ago '20        #10
SweezyDeuce 
 I Know said
What charter/public schools in which states require flu shots for children to attend?

This article states 2 children were infected and running around at basketball games....
covid is not the flu. the flu vaccine is the only one not required since the flu varies season by season and science does its best to project which strain will be the dominant each year ( influenza A or influenza B)

now instead of deflecting and moving goal posts, go ask your mom to show you your records and i guarantee youve had minimum 14 jabs yourself. now fu*k off and go post another deflected question/sarcastic rhetorical BS statement showing confirmation bias.

3 days ago '20        #11
SweezyDeuce 
 4REAL said
I guess you missed the part where it says "very likely a substantial undercount." And that was only what was found and counted until the end of April. They stopped counting After April, and it's now June. It's no telling what the official numbers of people are that are running around experimentally "vaccinated" and passing around the virus, as restrictions begin to lift and as people begin to lose their mask. It could very well be in the hundreds of thousands.
bro you think tookie was a martyr, lol. youre a retard who should be castrated.

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #12
 SweezyDeuce said
covid is not the flu. the flu vaccine is the only one not required since the flu varies season by season and science does its best to project which strain will be the dominant each year ( influenza A or influenza B)

now instead of deflecting and moving goal posts, go ask your mom to show you your records and i guarantee youve had minimum 14 jabs yourself. now fu*k off and go post another deflected question/sarcastic rhetorical BS statement showing confirmation bias.

Does this mean you are saying Covid shots are more like those one time (maybe 2 after years) required school shots?

Do you or do you not need the young to take these shots with you line of thinking and fear?

Last edited by I Know; 06-11-2021 at 08:04 AM..

3 days ago '05        #13
 SweezyDeuce said
bro you think tookie was a martyr, lol. youre a retard who should be castrated.
Tookie reformed his life and worked to reverse the ills that he contributed and tried to change society for the better, all while incarcerated. Meanwhile you're irrelevant in every day society, and have done nothing but be a deficit to the human race with the constant stupidity that you pump out.

3 days ago '20        #14
SweezyDeuce 
 I Know said
Does this mean you are saying Covid shots are more like those one time (maybe 2 after years) required school shots?

Do you or do you not need the young to take these shots with you line of thinking and fear?
listen dumb dumb, for now pfizer is the only one approved for 12-17 year olds. moderna just asked. and multiple are now testing in 2-12. studies have already shown that under 2 are mostly safer due to the plethora of vaccines received at a young age especially the mmr already and wont need the covid maybe; however testing isnt there yet.

most people dont bring newborns around sick idiots so we dont know, same with the flu shots for under 2, most parents and others know not to go around kids when sick. so its recommended at 2 and up.

if pfizer and moderna get approved for 2-12 guess what, they will be administered as early as you possibly can, going forward and then will get boosters/tithers as needed.

anything else for you d*ckhead?
+3   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #15
 4REAL said
Tookie reformed his life and worked to reverse the ills that he contributed and tried to change society for the better, all while incarcerated. Meanwhile you're irrelevant in every day society, and have done nothing but be a deficit to the human race with the constant stupidity that you pump out.
Doesn’t that seem selfish how that female in this article took those shots but left her children to defend for themselves?

3 days ago '20        #16
SweezyDeuce 
 4REAL said
you mean he sold a pity party to suckers like you once he was caught being a piece of sh*t criminal, lol.
+1   

3 days ago '05        #17
 SweezyDeuce said
you mean he sold a pity party
Explain.

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #18
 SweezyDeuce said
listen dumb dumb, for now pfizer is the only one approved for 12-17 year olds. moderna just asked. and multiple are now testing in 2-12. studies have already shown that under 2 are mostly safer due to the plethora of vaccines received at a young age especially the mmr already and wont need the covid maybe; however testing isnt there yet.

most people dont bring newborns around sick idiots so we dont know, same with the flu shots for under 2, most parents and others know not to go around kids when sick. so its recommended at 2 and up.

if pfizer and moderna get approved for 2-12 guess what, they will be administered as early as you possibly can, going forward and then will get boosters/tithers as needed.

anything else for you d*ckhead?

Right makes sense to stop / slow / eradicated viruses is to inoculate infants.

3 days ago '20        #19
SweezyDeuce 
 4REAL said
Explain.
im innocent, im imprisoned, my rights blah blah blah. youre a sucker.

he murdered people, fu*k him and his so called redemption. hes a lying **** in his own right. rot in p*ss with him my dude.

3 days ago '20        #20
SweezyDeuce 
 I Know said
Right makes sense to stop / slow / eradicated viruses is to inoculate infants.
correct which is why you dont see polio anymore and measles, mumps or rubella, diphtheria, unless theres an anti vax outbreak like in samoa last year until they got vaccinated.
+2   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #21
 SweezyDeuce said
correct which is why you dont see polio anymore and measles, mumps or rubella, diphtheria, unless theres an anti vax outbreak like in samoa last year until they got vaccinated.
Alright you donít want Covid shots to be more similar to flu shots. Got it.

You want Covid shots to be more similar to polio,measles,mumps,rubella,diphtheria. Got it.

When was the last time you took shots for those?

3 days ago '05        #22
 SweezyDeuce said
im innocent, im imprisoned, my rights blah blah blah. youre a sucker.

he murdered people, fu*k him and his so called redemption. hes a lying **** in his own right. rot in p*ss with him my dude.
I'm glad I gave you enough rope to hang yourself. Now, I can say for sure that you are a full on white supremacist. It's typical of you white supremacist to always put guilty labels on black males, even if there is no 100% substantial evidence proving guilt. Even if a black man is found "not guilty," such as OJ, it's always white supremacist like yourself that will always stamp them with a "guilty" label. It's so hypocritical, especially when you come from a lineage of people known for robbing and murdering people. You white supremacist have a lot of nerve.

3 days ago '20        #23
SweezyDeuce 
 I Know said
Alright you donít want Covid shots to be more similar to flu shots. Got it.

You want Covid shots to be more similar to polio,measles,mumps,rubella,diphtheria. Got it.

When was the last time you took shots for those?
im 40 its been 22 years mostly. i will get my shingles vaccine when its due. lol

i never said i dont want them to be, im telling you answers to your questions.

a doctor/scientist will end up making the final determination on whether covid is more like the flu vaccine (yearly protection due to variants and disease type) or polio vaccine (lifetime protection due to disease type and no variants).

3 days ago '20        #24
SweezyDeuce 
 4REAL said
I'm glad I gave you enough rope to hang yourself. Now, I can say for sure that you are a full on white supremacist. It's typical of you white supremacist to always put guilty labels on black males, even if there is no 100% substantial evidence proving guilt. Even if a black man is found "not guilty," such as OJ, it's always white supremacist like yourself that will always stamp them with a "guilty" label. It's so hypocritical, especially when you come from a lineage of people known for robbing and murdering people. You white supremacist have a lot of nerve.
yeah tookie was innocent because he wrote in his books there was no bloody footprints haha youre a real sucker.

and if you think using oj is a good life example you already lost. have a good life ignorant little fu*k boy.

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '20        #25
 SweezyDeuce said
im 40 its been 22 years mostly. i will get my shingles vaccine when its due. lol

i never said i dont want them to be, im telling you answers to your questions.

a doctor/scientist will end up making the final determination on whether covid is more like the flu vaccine (yearly protection due to variants and disease type) or polio vaccine (lifetime protection due to disease type and no variants).
Shillings is not contagious.

And that’s odd you repeated all those shots in your 20’s. Was that for some type if schooling?

Funny groups of characters on the site for real.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  31
Jun 12 - Tax refunds and stimulus checks delayed by identity fraud crossfire
55 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+16online now  15
Article inside Sorry, Bootleggers ó The Air Jordan 1 Is Now An Officially Registered..
79 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+21online now  14
Article inside The Wire - Method Man a*s Randy's Dad???
53 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  8
Jun 12 - MICHIGAN MAN WINS $30K IN LOTTERY, BUYS $20K GOLD CHAIN, GETS ROBBED
50 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy