Salt and Sacrifice announced for PC/PS4/PS5

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

7 days ago '05        #1
413 page views
24 comments

Chuck_Remixed  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 15823 15 K  Slaps total: 654 654
Salt and Sacrifice announced for PC/PS4/PS5

How Ska Studios balanced iteration and innovation in the side-scrolling co-op sequel.

Today I’m excited to announce that Salt and Sacrifice launches on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 in 2022.

I started working on the original Salt and Sanctuary nine years ago, and looking back, it still holds a lot of mystery to me. Development began after I’d already shipped a few games with what I’d humbly claim had adequate combat and gameplay. Like so many other indie devs, I’d recently become obsessed with the Dark Souls formula: its numerous seemingly inscrutable systems, its beautifully dark and imaginative world, and its tense moments where razor thin margins for error emerged elegantly.

I’d built some pretty competent combat systems in The Dishwasher series (which is now unbelievably two console generations old), so the idea of using that as a foundation for exploring an indie soulslike made sense. From there, it was a lot of world pieces, monsters, weapons, and more: all hand-drawn, hand-animated, scripted, and placed; a gradual journey to see if the bones of 2D brawling could animate the flesh of this dark fantasy RPG.

In hindsight, I’m certainly a little in the dark about what worked best for Salt and Sanctuary, not that there is a single right answer. For some, the lore stood out. For others, it was the elaborate skill tree. The f*ghter DNA resonated with some people. But to so very many people, the lack of online co-op was the most egregious omission, which brings me to Salt and Sacrifice.

Salt and Sacrifice expands on the world of Salt and Sanctuary by exploring a new era and region, as well as a new role: a Marked Inquisitor. A Marked Inquisitor is a criminal condemned, yet spared the hand of justice in exchange for a lifetime of service in the unending war against Mages: twisted, irredeemable creatures of elemental malice. Mages roam the world, summoning minions and wreaking havoc. Hunting a Mage is a multistage pursuit in which your quarry is just as likely to clash with rival Mages as it is with you.

For those of you who have played Salt and Sanctuary, imagine pursuing The Queen of Smiles through the village: she summons two rotten crossbowmen, retreats, stumbles right into The Sodden Knight, scraps it out with him for a bit, retreats again, summons a bronze knight and launches a salvo of swords at you before retreating to her lair, where — cornered, desperate, fierce — she awaits you, for a final battle from which there is no escape. It’s a chaotic dance of blades and bolts, swords and spells.

And while questions of which systems and themes will and won’t make the cut remain, one thing is certain: Salt and Sacrifice will absolutely have online multiplayer.

I had been sending screenshots of a new game I had started in 2019 to my friend Shane Lynch, a fellow coder who’d played unwitting victim in a number of my D&D campaigns through the years. “You should add online multiplayer,” he said. “I’ll do it,” he joked (or so I thought). He has a really strong background in network programming. I do not.

It probably took me longer to warm up to the idea of programming cooperatively (and learning git) than it did for Shane to implement bare bones netcode. Within about a week he had something working. It was glitchy at first, but there’s something magical about that virtual first contact. After spending months creating a brand new world, it’s a bizarre delight to see someone else just sort of hanging out in it.

Salt and Sanctuary had co-op that was intentionally obscured and as rudimentary as it comes: local only, same-screen. It was rough, but it was still adored. Because Shane and I are building Salt and Sacrifice from the ground up as a multiplayer game, co-op is much more intentional than it was in Sanctuary. There is a “full” co-op mode, playable online and locally, in which you and an ally can progress through the entire campaign together. Unlike Sanctuary, which only awarded progress to the main player, Salt and Sacrifice allows both players to share progress.

Drawing inspiration from the Souls series, we also implemented summoning mechanics. It’s easy, seamless, and fast to summon a random ally, or join a random host and together embark on a perilous expedition. Sacrifice emphasizes exploration as much as it does Mage hunts, so you may get summoned to help a player explore a new area, or you may get summoned for the sole purpose of barreling straight into a tough boss battle. As Sacrifice takes shape, witnessing the impact of multiplayer on a world that is still rapidly growing in density and complexity has been a uniquely cool experience.

We still have quite a ways to go, but this has already been one of the most exciting developments in my now strangely long career. I can’t wait to talk about the Mage designs, the various multiplayer factions, and the world of Salt and Sacrifice, but for now it’s simply such a thrill to introduce the game! Stay tuned for more info on the road to its launch next year on PS4 and PS5.
visit this link https://blog.playstation. .. and-sacrifice/
+2   

best
worst
24 comments

7 days ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 67191 67 K  Slaps total: 20243 20 K
sh*t look whate- wait it’s not releasing on Xbox?

ITS GIVING ME GAME OF THE CENTURY VIBES

7 days ago '17        #3
“Drawing inspiration from the Souls series”

Here we go lmfao

7 days ago '05        #4
Krazie 
Props total: 37395 37 K  Slaps total: 5142 5 K
 SPdaGOAT said
ďDrawing inspiration from the Souls seriesĒ

Here we go lmfao
I mean, the first one was already a Souls like.
+2   

7 days ago '17        #5
 Krazie said
I mean, the first one was already a Souls like.
You can jump in Zelda 2 it must have drawn inspiration from Mario

7 days ago '21        #6
Young Defiant 
Props total: 2881 2 K  Slaps total: 8166 8 K
when are we ever gonna get good quality games again man......
just imagine being hyped for some sh*t like this......

7 days ago '17        #7
 Young Defiant said
when are we ever gonna get good quality games again man......
just imagine being hyped for some sh*t like this......
Never brother. Microsoft done polluted the waters for eternity

7 days ago '21        #8
Young Defiant 
Props total: 2881 2 K  Slaps total: 8166 8 K
 SPdaGOAT said
Never brother. Microsoft done polluted the waters for eternity

7 days ago '12        #9
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 169566 169 K  Slaps total: 9978 9 K
 SPdaGOAT said
You can jump in Zelda 2 it must have drawn inspiration from Mario
Wait you never played or heard of the original Salt & Sanctuary?

The developer literally said he made it as a love letter to the Souls Series and Castlevania fam

And I'm not surprised its on playstation, hell the first one was released exclusively for the PS4, then the Vita..They even did the big reveal on the official sony blog back then. And eventually the other systems

Go play the first one if you haven't, its fu*king amazing fam. One of the better 2D Games of the past generation and they perfectly blended Souls Like Combat with the side scrolling format

The art style is amazing

This was one of the first blog posts on it back in the day:
If you’re not yet familiar with us or our game, hi! We’re Ska Studios, a husband and wife team that’s been making deliciously bloody indie games for like eight years now (what!?). We’re working on a game called Salt and Sanctuary, an insanely ambitious platformer that aims to capture the “Soulslike” genre, faithfully reimagine it as a mechanically solid 2D platformer, and explore and develop the interplay of wonderful mechanics and themes like difficulty and danger, stylistic action and complex combat, and diverse, branching, and versatile character building.

Last edited by OldBusiness; 06-10-2021 at 09:20 PM..
+2   

5 days ago '04        #10
gh3tto 
Props total: 41425 41 K  Slaps total: 8342 8 K
 OldBusiness said

The developer literally said he made it as a love letter to the Souls Series and Castlevania fam

And I'm not surprised its on playstation, hell the first one was released exclusively for the PS4, then the Vita..They even did the big reveal on the official sony blog back then. And eventually the other systems

Go play the first one if you haven't, its fu*king amazing fam. One of the better 2D Games of the past generation and they perfectly blended Souls Like Combat with the side scrolling format

The art style is amazing

he didnt know its a sequel and unapologetically a soulslike game

+2   

5 days ago '12        #11
Faythung 
Props total: 19691 19 K  Slaps total: 1606 1 K
Glad they've made a sequel, got Salt and Sanctuary on multiple platforms, game is dope.
+2   

5 days ago '12        #12
Faythung 
Props total: 19691 19 K  Slaps total: 1606 1 K
 OldBusiness said

You know dude doesn't know sh*t about gaming.
+3   

5 days ago '05        #13
Krazie 
 gh3tto said
he didnt know its a sequel and unapologetically a soulslike game

We can't all be real gamers
+2   

5 days ago '17        #14
 OldBusiness said

The art style is amazing

I know what they said, and I know what I played and the sh*t wasnít no damn soulslike lmfao. Itís a good game but they need to stop calling every game a soulslike, even if the dev intends to make one because the execution usually not there

5 days ago '17        #15
 Faythung said
You know dude doesn't know sh*t about gaming.
- a bum that doesnít own a PS5

5 days ago '17        #16
 Krazie said

Amen brother

5 days ago '04        #17
gh3tto 
 Krazie said
ska studios is just 1 guy and his wife

he streams his developing sometimes so he will probably do it again

he also made charlie murder and the dishwasher

+2   

5 days ago '05        #18
Krazie 
 gh3tto said
ska studios is just 1 guy and his wife

he streams his developing sometimes so he will probably do it again

he also made charlie murder and the dishwasher

Oh trust me I know. Charlie murder and Dishwasher are both awesome.
+2   

5 days ago '04        #19
gh3tto 
 Krazie said
Oh trust me I know. Charlie murder and Dishwasher are both awesome.
oh my bad, i see you are a gentleman of fine taste

I actually havent finished charlie or dishwasher so you know more than me

I watched james do some hand drawn art a few times on twitch and thought it was mildly interesting
+2   

5 days ago '05        #20
Krazie 
 gh3tto said
oh my bad, i see you are a gentleman of fine taste

I actually havent finished charlie or dishwasher so you know more than me

I watched james do some hand drawn art a few times on twitch and thought it was mildly interesting
I dig his art style, definitely has a unique look to it that is instantly recognizable.
+2   

5 days ago '04        #21
gh3tto 
 Krazie said
I dig his art style, definitely has a unique look to it that is instantly recognizable.
watching programming is like watching paint dry but when he animates he does the sh*t really fast

you can see on his streams why he can crank out a game all by himself
+2   

5 days ago '20        #22
Chozen  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16089 16 K  Slaps total: 2521 2 K
 SPdaGOAT said
I know what they said, and I know what I played and the sh*t wasnít no damn soulslike lmfao. Itís a good game but they need to stop calling every game a soulslike, even if the dev intends to make one because the execution usually not there
You definitely didn't play it cuz that sh*t is a Soulslike through and through. Amazing game you should actually go and play.

Magic kinda OP though once you get it going...fu*kin obliterated bosses
+1   

5 days ago '17        #23
 Chozen said
You definitely didn't play it cuz that sh*t is a Soulslike through and through. Amazing game you should actually go and play.

Magic kinda OP though once you get it going...fu*kin obliterated bosses
It got elements from Souls game but itís more metroidvania than soulslike. But hey this is the last forum where anyone can have a differing opinion from the consensus so since I donít agree with you that itís a soulslike, I must have never played the game

5 days ago '20        #24
Chozen  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16089 16 K  Slaps total: 2521 2 K
 SPdaGOAT said
It got elements from Souls game but itís more metroidvania than soulslike. But hey this is the last forum where anyone can have a differing opinion from the consensus so since I donít agree with you that itís a soulslike, I must have never played the game
It must've been awhile since you've played it...it's cool...

5 days ago '17        #25
 Chozen said
It must've been awhile since you've played it...it's cool...
Or maybe games get labelled soulslike way too easily. Itís more than a combat and currency system.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  30
Jun 16 - 'Fentanyl has changed the whole landscape': SF faces worst drug epide..
169 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+40online now  23
Image(s) inside Very Erie Video of a Nervous MLK
138 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+60online now  16
Rapper Blueface Opened His Own Soul Food Restaurant In Santa Clarita, Californ..
120 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-66online now  15
Kuzma takes a shot at Lebron, Lebron responds back
41 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy