Jun 10 - Half of the pandemic's unemployment money may have been stolen

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '11        #1
1552 page views
22 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30
Props total: 154078 154 K  Slaps total: 21610 21 K
Jun 10 - Half of the pandemic's unemployment money may have been stolen

Criminals may have stolen as much as half of the unemployment benefits the U.S. has been pumping out over the past year, some experts say.

Why it matters: Unemployment fraud during the pandemic could easily reach $400 billion, according to some estimates, and the bulk of the money likely ended in the hands of foreign crime syndicates — making this not just theft, but a matter of national security.

Catch up quick: When the pandemic hit, states weren't prepared for the unprecedented wave of unemployment claims they were about to face.

They all knew fraud was inevitable, but decided getting the money out to people who desperately needed it was more important than laboriously making sure all of them were genuine.
By the numbers: Blake Hall, CEO of ID.me, a service that tries to prevent this kind of fraud, tells Axios that America has lost more than $400 billion to fraudulent claims. As much as 50% of all unemployment monies might have been stolen, he says.

Haywood Talcove, the CEO of LexisNexis Risk Solutions, estimates that at least 70% of the money stolen by impostors ultimately left the country, much of it ending up in the hands of criminal syndicates in China, Nigeria, Russia and elsewhere.
"These groups are definitely backed by the state," Talcove tells Axios.
Much of the rest of the money was stolen by street gangs domestically, who have made up a greater share of the fraudsters in recent months.
The Treasury Department declined to comment on these estimates.

How it works: Scammers often steal personal information and use it to impersonate claimants. Other groups trick individuals into voluntarily handing over their personal information.

"Mules" — low-level criminals — are given debit cards and asked to withdraw money from ATMs. That money then gets transferred abroad, often via bitcoin.
The big picture: Before the pandemic, unemployment claims were relatively rare, and generally lasted for such short amounts of time that international criminal syndicates didn't view them as a lucrative target.

After unemployment insurance became the primary vehicle by which the U.S. government tried to keep the economy afloat, however, all that changed.
Unemployment became where the big money was — and was also being run by bureaucrats who weren't as quick to crack down on criminals as private companies normally are.
Unemployment fraud is now offered on the dark web on a software-as-a-service basis, much like ransomware. States without fraud-detection services are naturally targeted the most.
The bottom line: Many states are now getting more sophisticated about preventing this kind of fraud. But it's far too late.

visit this link https://www.axios.com/pan .. 47b72f67f.html
+7   

best
worst
22 comments

7 days ago '04        #2
skillahmang 
Props total: 47737 47 K  Slaps total: 9974 9 K
A grand smh
+5   

7 days ago '20        #3
SweezyDeuce 
Props total: 11630 11 K  Slaps total: 3016 3 K
more undoings of america by the trump admin.
+5   

7 days ago '18        #4
Proffesor X  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 55768 55 K  Slaps total: 13432 13 K
 SweezyDeuce said
more undoings of america by the trump admin.
Sooner or later you people so happy to go put your heads back in your holes are going to have to stop pretending that America's fu*ked up way's started and ended with Trump.

People scamming a system that has been scamming them is poetic justice, not a Trump fu*k up
+14   

7 days ago '21        #5
RivLoccKC 
Props total: 21 21  Slaps total: 5 5
 Proffesor X said
Sooner or later you people so happy to go put your heads back in your holes are going to have to stop pretending that America's fu*ked up way's started and ended with Trump.

People scamming a system that has been scamming them is poetic justice, not a Trump fu*k up
Yup

My homies still claimin they cousins extra kids and sellin they food stamps for an O
+10   

7 days ago '20        #6
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32499 32 K  Slaps total: 6337 6 K
What about all the fraud businesses do
+6   

7 days ago '11        #7
Broseph Stalin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 45280 45 K  Slaps total: 3801 3 K
+3   

7 days ago '04        #8
nobody 
Props total: 6070 6 K  Slaps total: 720 720
Dont care, at least I was able to see where this money went (people doing ppp scams). Better than that sh*t being sh*t overseas (allegedly) to fund dumb wars in 3rd world countries that couldn't touch the USA.
+15   

7 days ago '21        #9
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7745 7 K  Slaps total: 1748 1 K
Hope the authorities find all criminals.
+3   

7 days ago '16        #10
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 44427 44 K  Slaps total: 2518 2 K
sh*ts about to come full circle, you're staring to see fraud charges related to the pandemic in federal indictments now...........

literally every jobless person i know blatantly scammed as much as they possibly could and never worried about it again........some of these people are greedy as fu*k and have a lot bigger things going on than those little government checks theyre collecting and are going to have some issues down the line.......

even civilians that got in on it should probably worry. they made it so fu*king easy for people to take advantage that they're going to go way out of their way to try to save some face..........
+6   

7 days ago '18        #11
Proffesor X  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 55768 55 K  Slaps total: 13432 13 K
 smokeytheblunt2 said
sh*ts about to come full circle, you're staring to see fraud charges related to the pandemic in federal indictments now...........

literally every jobless person i know blatantly scammed as much as they possibly could and never worried about it again........some of these people are greedy as fu*k and have a lot bigger things going on than those little government checks theyre collecting and are going to have some issues down the line.......

even civilians that got in on it should probably worry. they made it so fu*king easy for people to take advantage that they're going to go way out of their way to try to save some face..........
Tons of people will get away with it, they will make some people scapegoats and some will undoubtedly be made heavy examples of but all in all most will skate.

That is until the IRS gets back on its sh*t.......and then that tax man is likely going to be coming for that a*s and then some
+4   

7 days ago '17        #12
fallinginpie 
Props total: 8463 8 K  Slaps total: 1356 1 K
 smokeytheblunt2 said

I honestly hope they do. Greedy fu*ks from all walks should not be allowed in society for so many different reasons
+4   

7 days ago '16        #13
smokeytheblunt2 
 Proffesor X said
Tons of people will get away with it, they will make some people scapegoats and some will undoubtedly be made heavy examples of but all in all most will skate.

That is until the IRS gets back on its sh*t.......and then that tax man is likely going to be coming for that a*s and then some
yup............

the bold part especially...........

it'll take a lot of time and a lot of people will think that they're good and then eventually get one of those letters........
+6   

7 days ago '16        #14
smokeytheblunt2 
 fallinginpie said
I honestly hope they do. Greedy fu*ks from all walks should not be allowed in society for so many different reasons
Im not an exactly innocent person but this sh*t made me feel a certain way........

I even lost my job because of covid and didnt file because I had savings............

this money, like any money isnt fu*king free. this is going to come back and fu*k us within our lifetimes.....
+3   

7 days ago '20        #15
Its Dark At 9  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 18568 18 K  Slaps total: 2835 2 K
Just don't come bite me in the a*s, Uncle Sam (even though its inevitable)

I did opt to have the taxes taken out of my U/E anyways

Hopefully that tax refund goes right
+2   

7 days ago '20        #16
Its Dark At 9  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 18568 18 K  Slaps total: 2835 2 K
I say, get it how you live and move in silence.

The govt been playing with the bag. So now its the civilians turn.

7 days ago '18        #17
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 53938 53 K  Slaps total: 18180 18 K
So ..get it how u live. They steal your time everyday
+3   

7 days ago '05        #18
Schavez98 
Props total: 6661 6 K  Slaps total: 1163 1 K
Noooooooooooo sssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeettttttttt!!!!!!!!

Wtf do you think all of this sh*t has been designed, pushed and implemented for?????

7 days ago '17        #19
92baby 
Props total: 71718 71 K  Slaps total: 9472 9 K
 Tlatoani said
Hope the authorities find all criminals.
Why white bread it’s gonna ultimately come right back to us

And the United States gonna look like a a*s again

Politicians probably out here scamming unemployment and ppp money

But watch only the American people gonna get some heat

They gonna let all them Russian Chinese and Nigerians walk

Watch
+3   

7 days ago '05        #20
SquirrelXss 
Props total: 6812 6 K  Slaps total: 2101 2 K
Covid checks were a money grab by govt officials.

Some civilians got some cash to but the comparison is nowhere near the same.
+1   

7 days ago '07        #21
DIPSET101 
Props total: 24226 24 K  Slaps total: 1444 1 K
 RivLoccKC said
Yup

My homies still claimin they cousins extra kids and sellin they food stamps for an O
I just bought 350 bucks worth of food stamps for $100
+5   

6 days ago '21        #22
 92baby said
Why white bread it’s gonna ultimately come right back to us

And the United States gonna look like a a*s again

Politicians probably out here scamming unemployment and ppp money

But watch only the American people gonna get some heat

They gonna let all them Russian Chinese and Nigerians walk

Watch
Don't call me white. No need to insult me or for you to make an a*s of yourself for no reason. Don't do that sh*t.

Russia and China are not extraditing anyone to face charges. Dont know about Nigeria. But Americans, should def face the consequences of their actions.

You're making a whataboutism argument to defend scammers. It sounds like you care more about the scammers than you do the Americans who had a genuine need and were unable to access help designated for them.
+1   

6 days ago '21        #23
 Its Dark At 9 said
I say, get it how you live and move in silence.

The govt been playing with the bag. So now its the civilians turn.
But stealing money meant to help Americans and denying people the opportunity to access those funds is scumbag sh*t.

Go rob a bank. That sh*t is insured.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+39online now  26
Image(s) inside Very Erie Video of a Nervous MLK
137 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-66online now  23
Kuzma takes a shot at Lebron, Lebron responds back
41 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  21
Jun 16 - 'Fentanyl has changed the whole landscape': SF faces worst drug epide..
169 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+60online now  17
Rapper Blueface Opened His Own Soul Food Restaurant In Santa Clarita, Californ..
120 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy